PDA

View Full Version : Warmage Feats

Questioner
2008-04-19, 01:54 PM
:smallsmile: I'm having a heckuva time picking my Warmage feats. Does anyone have some suggestions? I've read some things about how they have a lot of fire-based spells and so optimize that, but I'm looking at more of an electricity or cold kind of a flavour. Any ideas about this or anything else in general?

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-19, 02:01 PM
:smallsmile: I'm having a heckuva time picking my Warmage feats. Does anyone have some suggestions? I've read some things about how they have a lot of fire-based spells and so optimize that, but I'm looking at more of an electricity or cold kind of a flavour. Any ideas about this or anything else in general?

Energy substitution X, x being acid or sonic(force if your dm lets you), can be good,m and if you want a particular type of energy to specialize in, this feat is pretty good. Another one that I'm trying out right now is energy gestalt(complete mage), which forces saves if you use multiple types of energy attacks in a row(pretty easy since almost all your spells deal energy damage). Let me see if I can dig up something else.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-19, 02:07 PM
A good feat for a cold-focused blaster is Lord of the Uttercold, which makes half of your cold damage ignore cold resistance.

JaxGaret
2008-04-19, 02:22 PM
Arcane Disciple is great for getting your Warmage some needed versatility, at the cost of added MADness.

Versatile Spellcaster is a great feat for any spontaneous caster.

Questioner
2008-04-19, 02:24 PM
Arcane Disciple is great for getting your Warmage some needed versatility, at the cost of added MADness.

Sorry, but I've tried to puzzle it out but the whole "MAD" thing is beyond my comprehension. What exactly does it mean? By the way, what do people think about Spell Focus(evocation) as a feat? It's always nice to have the DC a little harder to make for that fireball!

Kurald Galain
2008-04-19, 02:26 PM
Sorry, but I've tried to puzzle it out but the whole "MAD" thing is beyond my comprehension. What exactly does it mean?
Means you have to invest in multiple ability scores - in this case, intelligence (for spellcasting), constitution (for hit points) and wisdom (for Arcane Disciple).

By the way, what do people think about Spell Focus(evocation) as a feat? It's always nice to have the DC a little harder to make for that fireball!
Not worth it, primarily because the best Warmage spells are conjurations that don't allow a saving throw. Instead, invest in stat-boosting items.

Questioner
2008-04-19, 02:35 PM
Means you have to invest in multiple ability scores - in this case, intelligence (for spellcasting), constitution (for hit points) and wisdom (for Arcane Disciple).

Not worth it, primarily because the best Warmage spells are conjurations that don't allow a saving throw. Instead, invest in stat-boosting items.

Thanks for pointint out the MAD thing.

I never thought of it that way. I took it at first level for my Warmage and I guess I will probably use the Character Rebuilding in PHB2 to change that next level up. There are just so many options for doing more damage, it's hard to know what gives you the best bang for your buck.

Questioner
2008-04-19, 03:03 PM

Sounds cool. What book is it out of?

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-19, 03:17 PM
There are a couple feats and PrC that have spell focus as a prerequisite, so check to make sure that you don't want those first.

Also, the mad would be Cha (spell casting), Int(damage) Wis(arcane disciple).

JaxGaret
2008-04-19, 03:46 PM
Sounds cool. What book is it out of?

Races of the Dragon.

mabriss lethe
2008-04-19, 10:36 PM
a reserve feat wouldn't be out of the question once you hit lvl 6 or so... That way you can save your spells for the BBEGs and still fry the mooks. Wouldn't take more than one or two though. not worth it in the long run.

Winter's Blast isn't the best damage dealer of the lot but you still get a 15 foot cone of cold at will that deals 1d4 per spell level of the highest uncast cold spell you have and a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting cold spells, it requires the ability to cast 2nd level spells, so you could take the feat as your bonus at 6th. like I said, not the best of the bunch, even among the damage dealers, But it might be an ok choice if you're dead set on focusing on cold.