PDA

View Full Version : What is the best energy immunity?

Adumbration
2008-04-19, 02:17 PM
Out of curiosity, what's the best energy immunity one can have?

TheLogman
2008-04-19, 02:20 PM
I'd go for Negative Energy Immunity, since I think that covers Energy Drain, Negative Levels, ability drain, ect. If I can't have that, I'd go for Fire, since that's common, or Cold if I knew I was going up against Cold things or in a cold area.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-19, 02:32 PM
Out of curiosity, what's the best energy immunity one can have?

Depends on your level of meta-thinking. Fire effects are the most common, so based on that, fire immunity is best. However, since fire resistance is also the most common, any clever caster-type character is not going to use fire spells.

Oh and yeah, immunity to negative energy is good, since negative is nasty.

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-19, 02:35 PM
I don't think that there is negative energy immunity. Energy immunities are usually only possible with spells that have an energy descriptor, thus the only recognized forms would be fire, acid, cold, electricity, sonic, and force.

Indon
2008-04-19, 02:37 PM
I dunno about Force.

I mean, if you were immune to Force... would you just walk through Walls of Force?

Adumbration
2008-04-19, 02:41 PM
I mostly had in mind the common ones, fire, acid, cold, electricity and sonic, since I didn't know you could actually get immunity for force or negative energy. Is it so, or can you get negative energy immunity from, say, that shifter prestige class from Races of Eberron (I think)?

Pirate_King
2008-04-19, 02:43 PM
Force doesn't count as an energy type, it's just those five, fire, cold, sonic, acid, and electricity. At least, that's what's listed in the resist energy spell. basically, if a dragon can use it as a breath attack, there's an immunity. (though I can't think of a dragon that uses sonic damage for the breath weapon.) I don't think there's really a best, since fire, cold, and electric are more common, the could be counter-acted with a spell caster that took uncommon spells

de-trick
2008-04-19, 02:57 PM
id go with fire or acid. Since most adventures go for the red or black dragons

Nermy
2008-04-19, 02:59 PM
I guess technically a lvl 10 Force Dragon Disciple would get Force Immunity if it existed.

Saihyol
2008-04-19, 03:19 PM
Negative energy (if you can) - that stuff is just a pain and reduces your effectiveness not just your hp.

Otherwise fire - yes I know smart opponents are going to work round this, but it is still the most common type of damage. Also suddenly volcanoes, burning buildings and forest fires look a lot less scary and every adventurer wants to hunt down a red dragon at some point don't they?

SilverClawShift
2008-04-19, 03:26 PM
(though I can't think of a dragon that uses sonic damage for the breath weapon.)

Off the top of my head, Howling and Sapphire dragons have sonic breath weapons. Crystal dragons have Light as their breath weapon type. There are a few other odd ones, deyhydration, rust.
They're not really energies, just breath weapon types.

Saihyol
2008-04-19, 03:29 PM
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm111/Saihyol/SonicDragon.jpg

Sonic Dragon

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-19, 03:38 PM
Fire is the most common mundane threat, thus a great immunity to get.

Reel On, Love
2008-04-19, 03:46 PM
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm111/Saihyol/SonicDragon.jpg

Sonic Dragon

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/mgorinev/1202801362805.jpg

UglyPanda
2008-04-19, 03:47 PM
Force immunity lets you walk through walls of force and Forcecage by extension. It also ignores the Bigby line of spells, but those don't come up often.
A prismatic dragon's light immunity would be pretty useful if you're undead, since a bunch of light spells are designed to hurt undead.

The ring of energy immunity (240,000 gp, epic) gives you immunity to one of the basic five (fire, cold, lightning, acid, sonic), so at really high levels immunity to one of the basic five is less valuable.

nargbop
2008-04-19, 04:04 PM
Force immunity? I wasn't aware such a thing existed. One of the reasons Magic Missile continues to be useful at high levels is that it's a small amount of damage that's almost guaranteed to actually work.

Gralamin
2008-04-19, 04:12 PM
Force immunity? I wasn't aware such a thing existed. One of the reasons Magic Missile continues to be useful at high levels is that it's a small amount of damage that's almost guaranteed to actually work.

Magic Missile isn't useful at higher levels.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-19, 04:18 PM

A small amount of damage that's almost guaranteed to work, is pretty much the opposite of useful.

Yvian
2008-04-19, 04:32 PM
Sonic:

You almost never encounter sonic based monsters and/or spells, so you almost never get hit with those spells, so nobody is immune, so a clever dm will throw those at you, so knowing that your dm is clever, you pick Sonic to mess with them.

Or go with fire because there are a lot of fire based creatures out there.

UglyPanda
2008-04-19, 04:38 PM

Force dragons and Prismatic Dragons (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/epicNonAbominations.html#dragon-epic) have force and light immunity, respectively. They're epic level monsters, so they don't really come of the top of one's head.

Wooter
2008-04-19, 04:43 PM
I'd say fire immunity, simply because that would allow you to fight while naked and on fire.

FlyMolo
2008-04-19, 04:53 PM
I'd say fire immunity, simply because that would allow you to fight while naked and on fire.

And everyone knows that gives you grapple immunity.

They can't catch me if I'm on fire!

Yuki Akuma
2008-04-19, 04:54 PM

There's a point. Would someone who's immune to fire even burn?

Me, I'd probably go with acid, just to be different.

Wooter
2008-04-19, 04:58 PM
Would someone who's immune to fire even burn?

Just stock up on lamp oil.

wadledo
2008-04-19, 04:58 PM

Even better:
Immunity to pants.

BRC
2008-04-19, 04:59 PM
When fighting Ninjas, fire immunity is a must. Because, Ninjas can't catch you when youre on fire!

Baxbart
2008-04-19, 05:09 PM
Hmmm... I'm reading through these posts, and its starting to wander off the point a little :smallamused:

That said, I'm currently playing a Half-Dragon (Gold) and that fire immunity has been a bit of a godsend at points.

FlyMolo
2008-04-19, 05:10 PM
When fighting Ninjas, fire immunity is a must. Because, Ninjas can't catch you when youre on fire!

I already made that joke. :smallfrown:

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-19, 05:26 PM
Me, I'd probably go with acid, just to be different.

Well, that would make things different... You could just sit around after being Swallowed Whole...

(Monster is sitting in front of the TV, watching, belly bulging)

Player: Oh, c'mon, change the channel! This one is boring!

Monster: Shut up and digest already!

Player: Make me! :smalltongue:

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-19, 05:45 PM
Cost wise, Immunity to Acid is the worst immunity to get if you are getting it from anything besides items.

The only way to get immunity to other elements is the Epic ring. On the other hand, Immunity to acid can be obtained with an Armor enhancement that also damages those that grapple you and makes all your items immune too.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-19, 05:58 PM
I vote for Sonic immunity. No more Blasphemy for you! :smallbiggrin:

FlyMolo
2008-04-19, 06:06 PM
I vote for Sonic immunity. No more Blasphemy for you! :smallbiggrin:

Power Word series, too. And Dictum. And Charm. Etc.

On the other hand, you fail all your listen checks...

Mewtarthio
2008-04-19, 06:06 PM
The only way to get immunity to other elements is the Epic ring.

You mean the ring of universal energy immunity? The single most expensive ring in the Epic Level Handbook, costing 2.16 million gp? That ring?

Jack_Simth
2008-04-19, 06:08 PM
Well, that would make things different... You could just sit around after being Swallowed Whole...

(Monster is sitting in front of the TV, watching, belly bulging)

Player: Oh, c'mon, change the channel! This one is boring!

Monster: Shut up and digest already!

Player: Make me! :smalltongue:
That generally comes with some Bludgeoning damage, too....

senrath
2008-04-19, 06:14 PM
That generally comes with some Bludgeoning damage, too....

Meh, get regeneration from some item or enough fast healing and you're fine.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-19, 06:20 PM
You mean the ring of universal energy immunity? The single most expensive ring in the Epic Level Handbook, costing 2.16 million gp? That ring?

No I mean the one that costs 250,000gp and grants immunity to one single element.

You know, the one already mentioned in this thread.

Collin152
2008-04-19, 06:23 PM
Meh, get regeneration from some item or enough fast healing and you're fine.

You also have a tendancy to suffocate.

senrath
2008-04-19, 06:25 PM
You also have a tendancy to suffocate.

Necklace of Adaptation. Infinite breathable air. Sure, the monster's gonna have some form of gas, but you'd survive :P

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-04-19, 06:25 PM
Zombie Ooze?

EvilElitest
2008-04-19, 06:26 PM
sonic........right
from
EE

hylian chozo
2008-04-19, 06:38 PM
Death Ward ring. Negative immunity FTW!

Seriously though, you're more likely to be hit by fire than any other energy type.

FlyMolo
2008-04-19, 11:38 PM
Necklace of Adaptation. Infinite breathable air. Sure, the monster's gonna have some form of gas, but you'd survive :P

A useful item. Especially if you're doing science/magic broken crossovers like the Anti-osmium bomb. People like that are always teleporting into space.

Adumbration
2008-04-20, 02:08 AM
Hey, what's up with the spells Mantle of the Fiery Spirit and Mantle of the Icy Soul? Apparently with only a cost of 4 000 xp you can now be immune to both cold and fire with no downsides. Would it work?

EDIT: The other grants Fire subtype and the other Cold subtype, both permanently. And the other is 5th level spell and the other 8th level. Don't ask. :smallwink:

Quorothorn
2008-04-20, 10:47 AM
Well, it's rather situational. Generally, you're going to be having more Fire thrown at you than anything else. If you live on the Frostfell, however, Cold resistance/immunity becomes more valuable (unless you're going to be invaded by smart outsiders, in which case Fire shoots back up to a premium, because they're likely bringing the heat). If against meta-gaming monsters in general, Sonic. Etc.

In the end, I'd say being able to hold off Fire is at a premium in general, after which you can worry about situational energy-resistant/immune needs.

Or just become a Lich and then throw on +1 padded clothes with resistance 10 or 20 to everything Lichdom doesn't shield you from (a rather small list). :smallwink:

LibraryOgre
2008-04-20, 12:54 PM
I would say fire or cold, actually. Fire has the most spell effects, and also carries the ancillary heat-resistant benefits. Cold carries the cold-resistant benefits, and has a large number of spells that go along with it.

Chronos
2008-04-20, 01:50 PM
If you're going up against intelligent opponents who can select from a broad list of elements, then it turns into a game of paper-rock-scissors, and the best one is whichever one your opponent least expects you to have (which leads to a good deal of Sicilian reasoning, and can come up with anything).

But other than that, fire is by far the most common. There are a lot of creatures which have fiery attacks that they can't change to other elements, and fire is also a common natural hazard (forest fires, volcanoes, campfires, etc.).

hylian chozo
2008-04-20, 03:51 PM
But other than that, fire is by far the most common. There are a lot of creatures which have fiery attacks that they can't change to other elements, and fire is also a common natural hazard (forest fires, volcanoes, campfires, etc.).

If adventurers are regularly falling into campfires, there is a bigger problem than energy attacks.

senrath
2008-04-20, 04:03 PM
If adventurers are regularly falling into campfires, there is a bigger problem than energy attacks.

Well, there's falling, and then there's being thrown.

DrizztFan24
2008-04-20, 04:13 PM
I am seeing some serious "Kill-the_Tarrasque" and "Ultimate Grappler" threads emerge from this...

mabriss lethe
2008-04-20, 09:32 PM
As others have said. it's all situational.

Fire and Ice are probably the best generic protection. If you have one or the other you stand a good chance of being able to fend off a disproportionate number of attacks.

I've found, though, that a decent array of resistances, at medium to high values, is a more effective defense in the long run than a single immunity. As a general rule, a broad spectrum of lesser protections tends to go a lot farther than a single greater defense.

FlyMolo
2008-04-20, 09:36 PM
I want fire resistance of at least 10 for a character, just so I can cook food on my hands. How cool would that be? I mean really.

skywalker
2008-04-20, 11:46 PM
Death Ward ring. Negative immunity FTW!

Seriously though, you're more likely to be hit by fire than any other energy type.

I thought I was going to be the one who got to say this. Sad day.

Did we ever decide whether there was a force immunity or not?

Nobody has noticed that cold resistance also protects you from the coldness of space(to go along with your adaptation necklace). This is useful if you get pinned to the sky.

I think fire gets less useful the higher you go, because less and less spells do fire damage. Cold and lightning get more useful. Acid is just always something I'm scared to death of, and sonic is the step-child :smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2008-04-20, 11:51 PM
The trouble with Sonic Immunity is that the only people who use Sonic attacks are Batman Wizards. And Batman Wizards will just kill you regardless.

FlyMolo
2008-04-20, 11:55 PM
The trouble with Sonic Immunity is that the only people who use Sonic attacks are Batman Wizards. And Batman Wizards will just kill you regardless.

Nah, Batman wizards use their Samurai, Monk, and Soulknife friends as weapons, channeling their arcane power.

drengnikrafe
2008-04-20, 11:57 PM
If you're going up against intelligent opponents who can select from a broad list of elements, then it turns into a game of paper-rock-scissors, and the best one is whichever one your opponent least expects you to have (which leads to a good deal of Sicilian reasoning, and can come up with anything).

(Emphasis Mine)

It's been awhile since I've seen one of those references around here. Bravo, good sir. Those situations really can come up with anything. Because, when you find what they least expect you to have, if they realize that you realized that it's what you most would want because it's what they would expect, and in your studies you would learn that man is mortal, and thus would put...
Sorry, I'll stop...

Kizara
2008-04-21, 12:13 AM
Cost wise, Immunity to Acid is the worst immunity to get if you are getting it from anything besides items.

The only way to get immunity to other elements is the Epic ring. On the other hand, Immunity to acid can be obtained with an Armor enhancement that also damages those that grapple you and makes all your items immune too.

Um, Energy Immunity is Clr 6. + DMM Persist and done.

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-21, 12:15 AM
Fire Immunity is probably your safest bet. It can be relatively cheap too: Just take the Martial Stance (Flame's Blessing) feat and sink 19+ ranks into Tumble.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-21, 12:29 AM
Um, Energy Immunity is Clr 6. + DMM Persist and done.

I am well aware of that. But not everyone has access to a DMM Persist Cleric. Sometimes you want to play the Fighter/Druid/Psychic Warrior. And when you do, no one ever wants to play the Cleric who buffs.

(I have played several rather self destructive characters in my home group, Druid/Cleric/Fighter/ect. all tanking for a party of Warmage/Warmage/Archery Ranger/Rogue. Next I'm moving on to Malconvoker.)

Khanderas
2008-04-21, 01:26 AM
Even better:
Immunity to pants.
Can you supress that immunity ?
Would be helpful in an urban setting afterall...:smallsmile:

Crazy Scot
2008-04-21, 01:59 AM
"Energy Immunity" + Persist??? Try the "Energy Immunity" spell from Complete Arcane (castable by: Clr 6, Drd 6, Sor/Wiz 7, Wu Jen 7) that grants immunity to a single energy type for 24 hours. Persist is useless, since you already have a 24 hour duration anyway!

As for Negative Energy Immunity, get "Death Ward" spell from the PHB (castable by: Clr 4, Death 4, Drd 5, Pal 4) that grants you immunity to "death" spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects. Though the duration isn't that long, so a DMM + Persist here would effective.

I have never heard of a way to get immunity to Force effects, and am not sure how that would work with spells such as "Wall of Force". Someone mentioned a Force Dragon, but a Half-Force Dragon does not gain any immunities (Races of the Dragon spells out the breath weapons/special abilities/etc for non-MM1 templates).