PDA

View Full Version : LOTR : the third age(gamecube and other)

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-19, 02:53 PM
I have just got it.
The party and weapons and such look a bit like NWN 2
The fights look a bit like Pokemon...
And the graphics(art) Looks like it was copied of Lineage.

The story is so..... Wrong. The Items donīt fit.
If you donīt know Lotr well, the story and item names seem alright, but its not.
Its the third age.
Your character is looking for Boromir(Who is quite dead, or should be according to the books AND movies)
The lood you get from orcs are lembas( ehm elf bread, on ORCS.. Ent bark, Ent drink... Nobody except ents have those, and no others have those...)
You get īscenesī, things which seem just downright copied out of the movie.
And they donīt match the story or the game at all.
Apparently, Saruman and īthe eye of sauronī are still alive.

Its a reasonably nice action game, but nothing more then that.
So Iīm gonna play some later to check if itīl get better, its worth playing but not really super uber great.
I`m happy though that my brother chipped in becouse heīs having fun with it.

I also note that this game is also available on other consoles(Like the xbox(360?))

Advice, comments or critique or just general discussion about LOTR : The third age is welcome.

warty goblin
2008-04-19, 02:58 PM
I've never played LOTR games for the authentic experience, because they are most certainly not. What they do allow me to do however is to commit massive acts of orc based genocide, and then use my surviving legions as troll food in Battle for Middle Earth. Bottom line, fun but not canonical, and any claims to them being so should be met with the fury of a thousand burning suns.

EvilElitest
2008-04-19, 03:38 PM
third age had some potential but the written was pretty much the work of hacks. Voice acting falls in there as well
from
EE

Premier
2008-04-19, 04:25 PM
Its the third age.
Your character is looking for Boromir(Who is quite dead, or should be according to the books AND movies)

Point of order: the third age is the one which ends with the defeat of Sauron and in which the novel takes place. The age which is after all that is the fourth one.

EvilElitest
2008-04-19, 04:36 PM
what confuses me is the last battle of the game. How the hell does it even make sense
from
EE

DraPrime
2008-04-19, 04:57 PM
My opinion was "meh." All you do is follow the fellowship around and be fairly insignificant.

EvilElitest
2008-04-19, 05:00 PM
My opinion was "meh." All you do is follow the fellowship around and be fairly insignificant.

As i said, hacks
from
EE

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-20, 01:29 AM
Point of order: the third age is the one which ends with the defeat of Sauron and in which the novel takes place. The age which is after all that is the fourth one.

Ah yeah. I remember now.

But a few things.
That would make Aragorn oooooooooold............. so f.... old.... I mean he was born in end second age and he still lived in the fourth... But Meh.

That would make the game... Really meh. And the other games of lotr from EA games also take place in the third age, so why name it īthird ageī.
*is confused now*

Revlid
2008-04-20, 04:35 AM
But a few things.
That would make Aragorn oooooooooold............. so f.... old.... I mean he was born in end second age and he still lived in the fourth... But Meh.

Yes, he was very old. He was of the descent of Numenor (or something. basically, he was speshul) so he was long-lived.

SmartAlec
2008-04-20, 08:51 AM
He is old; but not that old. Aragorn wasn't born at the end of the Second Age. He is the Heir of Elendil not by being a grandson, but by being a direct descendant through about 30 generations, and was born in the 2931st year of the Third Age.

Makes him about 86 at the time of the books.

As for the game, The Third Age, it is basically 'Lord of the Rings does Final Fantasy'.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-20, 12:06 PM
I feel so stupid now:smallfrown:

EvilElitest
2008-04-20, 07:41 PM
I feel so stupid now:smallfrown:
it will pass eventually
from
EE

Forthork
2008-04-20, 08:12 PM
The game wasn't that great, but if you followed the story, your 'fellowship' is following the real fellowship throughout the game. If you are going to play through it, my suggestion is use the damn elf. I didn't, and had none of her magic until at Helm's Deep, where I kept fight a non-scripted battle to level her up. It was pretty hard.

Prustan
2008-04-21, 01:33 AM
Haven't finished the game yet, but my advice would be to use everyone. They all have useful skills, and each have their strengths and weaknesses.
And I agree with the statement 'It's Lord of the Rings does Final Fantasy'. Not bad, but not really good either.

EvilElitest
2008-04-21, 11:55 AM
Haven't finished the game yet, but my advice would be to use everyone. They all have useful skills, and each have their strengths and weaknesses.
And I agree with the statement 'It's Lord of the Rings does Final Fantasy'. Not bad, but not really good either.

through the plot and lines made one wish to kill ones self
from
EE

Hoggy
2008-04-21, 12:09 PM
I bought it on PS2 for Ģ5. I got to Moria. I have not played since.

It was boring. :smallsigh:

megablitz
2008-04-21, 05:36 PM
meh, it was nothing special for me, but it was by far NOT the worst game I have ever played atleast... My advice would be to not to try to purposefully try to avoid battles, you'll regret it later on, trust me...:smallannoyed: