PDA

View Full Version : OOTS Video Game

Beholder1995
2008-04-19, 07:50 PM
I was just thinking- if an OOTS video/computer game were to ever be made, what features would it include? I have essentially two ideas for an OOTS game:

1. A single person fighting game, in which you can interchange between the six OOTS characters (or select one and move on from there) and play through The Order of the Stick storyline

2. A multiplayer game, in which you design an OOTS-style D&D character and play through the OOTS world.

I know I'D play it. But then again, what do I know?

Green-Shirt Q
2008-04-19, 07:55 PM
I believe they already made an online computer game of it. I haven't played much of it and I don't know where it is, so I can't give you a link.

A while ago I tried to make one, ( a racing game like mario kart but flying and without veichles) but failed utterly. I may try again but I whole-heartedly doubt it.

Beholder1995
2008-04-19, 08:24 PM
....I don't think so. I checked google in the past, and just now, and I can't find any trace of an OOTS game. I'll check again though....

Green-Shirt Q
2008-04-19, 08:30 PM
....I don't think so. I checked google in the past, and just now, and I can't find any trace of an OOTS game. I'll check again though....

You can't find it probably because it's not called OotS. It's called something else, although it's CLEARLY Oots. They are all there, Belkar, Roy, Haley, Thog, Durkon and I even thin Redcloak but I'm not sure. The guy just called it something else probably because he didn't want to get sued by Rich.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-04-19, 08:30 PM
I believe this (http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f350/abardam/stuff/ootsgame-15.swf) is what you're looking for.

Made by Abardam, if I remember correctly.

drengnikrafe
2008-04-19, 10:08 PM
Wow...
This thing is awful, and yet so addictive.

Anybody know how to kill the Beholder?
(EDIT: Nevermind. I got 'em).

Sorry, that was off topic. A REAL game themed OOTS in the single player adventure style (like Killer 7, only OOTS themed instead of... weird), with the multiplayer ability. And each character would have their own abilities, and what they could do, and if one of them died, you just get Durkon over there to bring them back...

It'd be great.

Beholder1995
2008-04-20, 06:03 AM
How DO you kill the beholder?

Gashad
2008-04-20, 06:24 AM
a few of roys thrust attacks takes the beholder down easily

Gamerlord
2008-04-20, 06:38 AM
i already made a topic about this a while ago,use the search button,it suggest's the idea of a oots RTS

Gamerlord
2008-04-20, 06:41 AM
I was just thinking- if an OOTS video/computer game were to ever be made, what features would it include? I have essentially two ideas for an OOTS game:

1. A single person fighting game, in which you can interchange between the six OOTS characters (or select one and move on from there) and play through The Order of the Stick storyline

2. A multiplayer game, in which you design an OOTS-style D&D character and play through the OOTS world.

I know I'D play it. But then again, what do I know?
i prefer a RTS-style game

Beholder1995
2008-04-20, 07:26 AM
I like RTS games too, (I actually designed an OOTS scenario on Age of Empires II) But there's only one big battle, and the rest definitely fits more into an RPG style game.

Holammer
2008-04-20, 10:47 AM
The OotS style art would work best in a fallout'y style turn based fighting game, one that maybe even tries to follow the 3.5 rules to the fullest. (Dream on I guess, baldur's gate did a horrible job at it).
If crap like Penny-arcade, happy tree friends etc can get their video games it's a frickin' shame if OotS never enters the realm of video gaming imho.

Lizard Lord
2008-04-20, 11:36 AM
Off Topic: I thought Bulder's Gate was second addition? You sure you don't mean Neverwinter Nights?

Holammer
2008-04-20, 12:00 PM
Off Topic: I thought Bulder's Gate was second addition? You sure you don't mean Neverwinter Nights?

Absolutely correct! BG1-2 were second edition and #2 had elements of Third edition in it as well. But the implementing of the rules was shaky at best. First NWN was pretty good, but the sequel gets me every time, MUST stab someone when I try playing it.
As a general rule, whenever game designers propose real-time game play they should be pulled out the back door, then taken care off... Quickly and humanly.

in fact why bother with overworld travel etc, make the game a literal GM that tells the story based on what happens, then presents you with a scenario with an overview/isometric view whenever there's behinds to be kicked in liberal measure.

Istari
2008-04-20, 05:25 PM
I bet Rich will probably make one as soon as he is done with the comic so he can include everything.

PresidentEnder
2008-04-20, 05:53 PM
I bet Rich will probably make one as soon as he is done with the comic so he can include everything.

Is Rich a programmer?

Gamerlord
2008-04-20, 06:05 PM
Is Rich a programmer?
not sure but he can hire someone to do it if he can't

Lerky
2008-04-21, 10:43 PM
if Rich ever mkes one I'd so buy #2! I LOVE RPGS!

†Seer†
2008-04-22, 02:34 AM
If GitP made a game of OOTS, or if one was made of Erf, I would buy both and love them...

Ooooh... OOTS or even a D&D for the Wii... *drools*

happy_emi
2008-04-22, 03:04 AM
Maybe the best thing could be to create a NWN shard about this comic :smallbiggrin:

Estelindis
2008-04-22, 06:34 AM
Yeah, an OotS game would be easy to make in NWN. :smallsmile:

Beholder1995
2008-04-22, 07:25 AM
What's NWN?

Catskin
2008-04-22, 07:31 AM
What's NWN?

Neverwinter Nights (http://nwn.bioware.com/index.html)

ThePhantom
2008-04-22, 06:32 PM
About the current one, how do you kill all the enemies? I can get down to about 25, but after that I can't find anymore

Firestar27
2008-04-22, 07:40 PM
The Giant would never make a video game. There are too many issues with the rights and trademarks. He says he has been approached before (but not for a video game), and he declined. He said that for a few, he had to fight to decline. You'd be surprised what people will do to get someone else's rights to a product.

Roderick_BR
2008-04-22, 07:44 PM
:elan: "Slash slash slash the generic stick-figure monster"
It's awfully addictive. And there's no way you won't recognize all the playable characters (or who they are based off".
Oddly enough, if the players were more generic, it would be just a game with OotS-based graphics.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-23, 02:40 AM
He says he has been approached before (but not for a video game), and he declined.

Do you have a link for that please?

Beholder1995
2008-04-23, 10:23 AM
He says he has been approached before (but not for a video game), and he declined.

Okaaay.... if it wasn't for a video game, why state it in this thread?

Vectner
2008-04-23, 10:47 AM
About the current one, how do you kill all the enemies? I can get down to about 25, but after that I can't find anymore

I would like to know this as well. Miko is my fav ;)

Beholder1995
2008-04-23, 11:02 AM
Really? I can't beat it (or at least kill most of the enemies) unless I play Roy.

Estelindis
2008-04-23, 11:15 AM
Not to be too silly or anything - but how do you get past the first level? I fight all the enemies, get to a stairs and an "under construction" sign - and that's all I can find. That's just killing goblins - yet I've seen other people mention other enemies? What am I missing?

PS: the character I find hardest to use is Haley - everyone else is easy...

Beholder1995
2008-04-23, 11:23 AM
When you get to the stairs you press 'shift', which will then transport you to a level with ogres and kobolds.

Estelindis
2008-04-23, 11:50 AM
Funny, I've been doing that... I guess I can just try again.

EDIT: I am ashamed to say that I was having a momentary brain-freeze and was confusing the shift key with the enter key! Downwards I go!

Quorothorn
2008-04-23, 01:22 PM
What I want to know is how to damage the warg--sorry, worg--rider. I can demolish the first three sections as the Belkster, but I can't seem to kill that guy at the bottom level. HE gets to unleash the fury and I get a freakin' wiener dog?!

P.S. And something kinda weird just happened: I fought the Beholder as Miko, killing it with a Smite Evil. As I turned to leave (with a health bar entirely lacking in health I should add) there was suddenly a Kobold sorcerer standing right in front of the door. One surprise-round Lightning Bolt later and it was game over. I'd never seen another enemy in the Beholder room before.

Edit: Hey, I killed it as Thog. Now to figure out how to do it with the others..right after I see if I can kill the Beholder as Thog, too.

Firestar27
2008-04-23, 03:04 PM
Do you have a link for that please?

Sorry, but I can't find the link. Maybe I'm wrong. I just remember it from somewhere. I think he said his lawyer advised him not to talk about it, so I can't really expect more information.

Okaaay.... if it wasn't for a video game, why state it in this thread?

Because it still had to do with the rights and trademarks issue. Whether someone needs the license to make a video game or to make a movie, he still needs the license.