PDA

View Full Version : Feats for an IotSV build please.

Kizara
2008-04-20, 04:52 AM
So, I have this Czilla and my DM let me take leadership and I grabbed a wizzie.

The campaign is very high-powered (gestalt to boot) and I'm basically testing my own ability to optimize like crazy. Its mainly open book, just no Dragon material.

Anyways, she is going:

Side 1:
Ranger 1/(LA 2)/rogue 1/ranger 1/rogue 4/hexblade 3/rogue 8

Side 2:
Wizard 10/IoSV 7/archmage 3

Feats (current): Colligate Wizard, Improved Initiative, Scribe Scroll Rapid Shot (CS), Spell Focus (abjuration), Skill Focus (spellcraft).

Feats (new): ???? (9th-level), Greater Spell Focus (abjuration) (wiz 10), Quicken Spell (12th-level), Spell Focus (evocation) (15th-level),

Currently 8th level, leveling to nine.

Anyways, her role is a support caster with buffs for my Czilla (haste, fly, keen edge, displacement, mystic surge) and battlefield control (black tentacles, stinking cloud, grease) and general utility (Dim Door, tongues, knock, etc). Anyways, I need a 9th and 18th level feat.

I was considering Arcane Strike, but I decided I wouldn't want her wasting actions on archery. I also considered Improved Familiar, but since I intend to be polymorphing her familiar (what are some great forms btw, for CL 10ish?) it would be mostly frivilous/for flavor. I mean, having a cool familar owns and my DM would be willing to sub in a low-cr creature comparable to those on the list if I find something I want, but its just pretty indulgent and wasteful.

Anyways, help please.

Swooper
2008-04-20, 06:35 AM
I'm going to suggest Chain Spell for the 9th level slot. Nothing says 'support caster' like a nice Greater Magic Weapon for the entire group :smallbiggrin: I would suggest Shape Spell too, but you're going for Archmage so you'll likely get Mastery of Shaping, which is better. Maybe some crafting feat for the 18th level slot?

Grynning
2008-04-20, 07:27 AM
Why is Rapid Shot in your current build? All of your other feats are caster-based, and as you said it seems unlikely the character will use many actions on archery.
Also, is the LA +2 on the first side supposed to represent the Cohort "two levels below you" thing? B/C I'm pretty sure that in a Gestalt game that their max ECL on BOTH sides would be 18 (assuming you're level 20).

Kizara
2008-04-20, 11:46 AM
Why is Rapid Shot in your current build? All of your other feats are caster-based, and as you said it seems unlikely the character will use many actions on archery.
Also, is the LA +2 on the first side supposed to represent the Cohort "two levels below you" thing? B/C I'm pretty sure that in a Gestalt game that their max ECL on BOTH sides would be 18 (assuming you're level 20).

1) Because I wanted her to have a bit of ranger to have some wilderness/survival skills cause I don't. Since Rapid Shot is more useful then TWF as a combat style choice, that's what I went with.

2) No, she's drow. I didn't have control over that part, but I'm rolling with it.

And no, as I said in my OP, I'm 10 and she's level 8 (about to level to 9).

JaxGaret
2008-04-20, 01:35 PM
1) Because I wanted her to have a bit of ranger to have some wilderness/survival skills cause I don't. Since Rapid Shot is more useful then TWF as a combat style choice, that's what I went with.

You would be much better off with the Throwing combat style, which grants Quick Draw as its 2nd level bonus feat.

Rapid Shot will rarely be used, and almost never in a situation where you really need it. You never know when you'll need to draw something (like a Wand) quickly.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-20, 02:45 PM
Also, is the LA +2 on the first side supposed to represent the Cohort "two levels below you" thing? B/C I'm pretty sure that in a Gestalt game that their max ECL on BOTH sides would be 18 (assuming you're level 20).there is no official ruling on that, but as far as I know this board assumes LA and HD apply to only one side of the build, as you are sacrificing a lot of class features if you interpret it the other way (to the point where even a +1 adjustment is unplayable).

Kizara
2008-04-20, 04:33 PM
there is no official ruling on that, but as far as I know this board assumes LA and HD apply to only one side of the build, as you are sacrificing a lot of class features if you interpret it the other way (to the point where even a +1 adjustment is unplayable).

I agree with you in a general sense, but LA and effective ECL are not the same.

Look at it this way, party level is 6. You make a wiz 20/rog 6 character. Obviously this is inappropriate.

And as I said, the 2 LA is for being drow.

You would be much better off with the Throwing combat style, which grants Quick Draw as its 2nd level bonus feat.

Rapid Shot will rarely be used, and almost never in a situation where you really need it. You never know when you'll need to draw something (like a Wand) quickly.

Sounds like good advice, except my PHB doesn't seem to present me that option. My PHB2 doesn't ethier, so where are you getting that?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-20, 04:52 PM
Look at it this way, party level is 6. You make a wiz 20/rog 6 character. Obviously this is inappropriate.Of course.But a Wiz 6//Rogue 4/Drow 2 is hardly overpowered for an ECL 6 Gestalt party.

Kizara
2008-04-20, 05:14 PM
Of course.But a Wiz 6//Rogue 4/Drow 2 is hardly overpowered for an ECL 6 Gestalt party.

I think our disagreement is merely a misunderstanding, as I agree with you.

Now, do you have any feat suggestions for the character in question?

JaxGaret
2008-04-20, 06:27 PM
Sounds like good advice, except my PHB doesn't seem to present me that option. My PHB2 doesn't ethier, so where are you getting that?

It's from Dragon 326.

You can also see the list of alternate combat styles on page 100 of this pdf (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf).

EDIT: Oh, woops, just saw the bit in the OP about no Dragon material. Sorry.

Still, there's little reason for your DM to allow everything else, but not allow a minor change such as this.

Kizara
2008-04-20, 06:46 PM
It's from Dragon 326.

You can also see the list of alternate combat styles on page 100 of this pdf (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf).

EDIT: Oh, woops, just saw the bit in the OP about no Dragon material. Sorry.

Still, there's little reason for your DM to allow everything else, but not allow a minor change such as this.

Well, the rule is "you can use anything from books that we have" and we have the majority of the books. However, we have 0 Dragon magazines. Regardless, thank you for your input, but I'm really looking for the 9th and 18th level feats.

nargbop
2008-04-22, 10:42 AM
Power Attack :smallbiggrin: Seriously, Initiate of the Seven Fold Veil is about as awesome as you get. I would actually drop the Archmage and pick up Abjurant Champion instead - abjuration spells as a swift action are NICE.
SO... feats. Vatic Gaze has saved my heiny again and again with my high-Sense Motive character in my cloak-and-daggers game. Figure out who is ACTUALLY your magical enemy and who is the decoy. Also, detect magic at will, allowing you to take a minute in an unfamiliar room, and see the magic traps without any chance of triggering them.

Kizara
2008-04-22, 02:40 PM
Power Attack :smallbiggrin: Seriously, Initiate of the Seven Fold Veil is about as awesome as you get. I would actually drop the Archmage and pick up Abjurant Champion instead - abjuration spells as a swift action are NICE.
SO... feats. Vatic Gaze has saved my heiny again and again with my high-Sense Motive character in my cloak-and-daggers game. Figure out who is ACTUALLY your magical enemy and who is the decoy. Also, detect magic at will, allowing you to take a minute in an unfamiliar room, and see the magic traps without any chance of triggering them.

Thank you for the input. That's actually my best bet now. It's not amazingly powerful, but its useful and at least it's something.