View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 39: Glunk vs. Froy

ArenaManager
2008-04-20, 08:49 AM
Arena Tournament, Round 39: Glunk vs. Froy

Map:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/Kyeudo/GlassArena.jpg

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

SoD - Glunk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=49518)
The Chilli God - Froy (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=49745)

All Combatants, please roll initiative.

SoD
2008-04-20, 11:00 AM
Oh dear, I'm against the shirtless commoner? Why do I have the feeling I'm going to lose this horribly?

Anyway, [roll0]

Edit: Not buying anything, by the way.

The_Chilli_God
2008-04-20, 10:42 PM
Dammit. There go my hopes of winning through the opponent not posting.
And there also go my hopes of being up against one of the not-so-thoroughly-min/maxed opponents. But then, I like 90% odds of being killed in the first attack, how about you?

<.< >.>

And Froy strides into the arena, having previously thought up the most audience-winning speech imaginable! However, the nerves of the arena have made him forget it.
So, all that Froy can do is raise his trident pitchfork in the air and yell out, "One of your own!"

[roll0]

The_Chilli_God
2008-04-20, 10:51 PM
Ha! Counting that exhibition match from earlier, Froy has still yet to roll anything between 3 and 18.
The funny thing was, during that exhibition match, neither did his opponent.
Average rolls are beneath NPC classes!

Okay... Start at Y13. Pitchfork and one torch drawn. The torch is not lit, cuz it might make the orc angry. Not like that'd save him, though.

Double-move to N13. Free action to stick out his tongue at his impending death and say a few choice words that would make a goblin blush in embarrassment.

This is how Bitz should've played... Ooh, did I say that out loud? =P

SoD
2008-04-21, 01:01 AM
Glunk wanders into the arena, looking slightly confused at all the glassy bits everywhere.

OK, starting at B13, with my great falchion drawn.

I attempt to break the glass wall between M13 and N13 by charging up and smashing into it full force: [roll0]

Free action: speak: ''Aargh! Invisible wall! Glunk not like!''

Edit: bugger. I probably look like an idiot now. Either way, I'm now at M13, and feeling a bit dazed.

Battle Stats:
Hp: 16/16
AC: 15/12/13
Saves: +6/+2/-1
Speed: 40
Position: M13

The_Chilli_God
2008-04-21, 02:42 AM
Uh... You can only make a melee attack at the end of a charge. Breaking objects with strength checks isn't covered under charging, although an actual (sunder) attack against the glass wall should be okay.
...Speaking of which, this must be super-glass in this arena, cuz normal glass usually only has half as many hitpoints.
<.< >.>
*Is not accustomed to rules-lawyering as a player as opposed to a ref*
If you don't trust me, call in another ref or something.

SoD
2008-04-21, 02:58 AM
Nah, I'll trust you on that. I'll call it a sunder then: I charge from B13 to M13 and strike the glass full force with my falchion, screaming as I charge.

I guess, tecnically, I'm meant to attack roll as well.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: glass not broken.

The_Chilli_God
2008-04-21, 03:42 AM
Froy staggers back a bit, slightly startled by the sudden attack against the glass that his opponent made.
At this point, he remembers a very common tactic he witnessed more experienced fighters do in the arena, and it's pretty simple as well - wait for them to make the first move.

So... Move to P13 and ready action:
Attack orc with pitchfork if orc moves into one of Froy's threatened squares.
And free action: "Here's three prongs of love just waiting for you on the other side of that wall! Come and get them, you hulk!"

SoD
2008-04-21, 03:51 AM
''Grah! I will water orc orc you to death!''

Glunk is a bit confused, and is more used to his opponants running or surrendering. However, he falls on his own time-honed tactic: get mad and hit stuff. In his anger, Glunks muscles appear to stretch and grow, even more than their already impressive girth. Glunk moves as quickly as he can to face his topless opponant, and swings his sword as hard as he can, more focused on harm than hit...

Free actions: speak/rage.
Move to O12 and attack.

Attacking with a 1 point power attack, already factored into the rolls: [roll0]
[roll1]
In the 15% case of having to confirm a crit:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Battle stats:
Hp: 18/18
AC: 13/10/11
Saves: +8/+2/+0
Position: O12
Temporary Modifiers: Rage 1/9. +4 str, +4 con, +2 will, -2 AC

The_Chilli_God
2008-04-21, 04:02 AM
Ah-HA! You've activated my trap card readied action!

Which is, predictably, a stab in the chest with a pitchfork for moving into a threatened square.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: Ah well, that breaks the d20 rolling trend.
...Bugger, I never paid attention during Combat 101 class Initiative consequences of readied actions. In fact, I distinctly recall avoiding any ref situation that dealt with who's turn it was after one of those readies. Who's turn is it?

PS: You miss.

SoD
2008-04-21, 04:10 AM
On readied actions: Readying an Action

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.
Initiative Consequences of Readying

Your initiative result becomes the count on which you took the readied action. If you come to your next action and have not yet performed your readied action, you don’t get to take the readied action (though you can ready the same action again). If you take your readied action in the next round, before your regular turn comes up, your initiative count rises to that new point in the order of battle, and you do not get your regular action that round.

Important bits in bold. Basically, you interupt me, then I attack. Now you have your turn before I have mine. Also, that's first blood to you.

''Grah! Glunk not like!''

Battle stats: Hp: 15/18
Temporary Modifiers: Rage 1/9. +4 str, +4 con, +2 will, -2 AC

The_Chilli_God
2008-04-21, 04:20 AM
Woot, okay.

Froy drops his torch, switches to holding his pitchfork in both hands (don't know why he didn't do this sooner - who's bright idea was it to have him lug around torches?!) and stabs again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

"Orcs don't like what they don't know. And orcs don't know anything!"

Edit: Sorry, that was meant to be 1d8+3. So 10 damage, not 9.

SoD
2008-04-21, 04:24 AM
''Argh! Glunk not like you! Glunk water orc orc the little gernome to death!''

Glunk, howling in anger, rage, and (although he won't admit it) pain. Wildly swinging his falchion at the annoying little man.

Another power attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Battle stats:
Hp: 5/18
Temporary Modifiers: Rage 2/9. +4 str, +4 con, +2 will, -2 AC

The_Chilli_God
2008-04-21, 04:31 AM
Hm... I do believe that Froy has just barely gotten himself chopped in half.
Should've put that 14 in Dex instead of Con.

Oh well! Well-played! Even though it was looking like Froy might win there for a minute. You might want to work on not getting beaten up by commoners, just a hint. :smalltongue:

SoD
2008-04-21, 04:34 AM
I must admit, when you took me down from 18 to 15 to 5 hp...I was getting worried. I was just thinking to myself Oh, just my luck. I can do enough damage to outright kill a lot of first level characters, and I'm going to loose to a commoner. Well done to you as well. Glunks first victory, a close match against a commoner. Which'll put me against either a cleric or a favoured soul next up.

The_Chilli_God
2008-04-21, 04:39 AM
Ah, yes... It will be the ultimate mark of shame when someone actually loses to Froy in a fair combat.

Now, all we need is a Referee of Winner Declaring +4.

SoD
2008-04-21, 04:42 AM
Referee of Winner Declaring +4? I thought that the current standard was an intelligent +3 skillfull referee of knowlege [scores 16/16/12, ego score 111]?

Bayar
2008-04-21, 04:52 AM
Aww, I wanted Froy to win, just so that commoners would show the people that you dont need fancy classes to beat the **** out of people.

I would call the match, but dont have the prereq's.

The_Chilli_God
2008-04-21, 04:58 AM
Well, for a character who was pretty much designed to lose, I'm quite happy Froy lost.

Wait, this is first level. All we're stuck with at this point are Masterwork Referees. And that's best-case scenario.
*Gasp!* Improvised Referees! That's a -2 or something penalty to your Profession (Referee) check!

SoD
2008-04-21, 05:02 AM
Hmm...we must go on a holy quest! To recover the lost referee-artifact! But we cannot do it alone...for we are but a wounded orc and a dead commoner...but first...LUNCH!

Now...what is there around here that I can eat...*looks at dead commoner* Hmm...

Bayar
2008-04-21, 06:14 AM
Erm...the winner gets to eat some chips while waiting for his next opponent ?

Talic
2008-04-21, 06:16 AM
High Ref Talic

Glunk wins, and collects his prizes!

Wow, improvised ref, from 4 range increments out. I'm surprised I nailed that one.