PDA

View Full Version : Master of my Domain...

SamTheCleric
2008-04-20, 10:32 AM
So I really dig the "Spontaneous Domain" feat from Complete Champion and was wondering how best to utilize a cleric to be a support piece (not a 'zilla)

I was thinking Cloistered Cleric 5/Divine Oracle 5/Contemplative 6

That would net you 3 domains from Cloistered Cleric, 1 from Divine Oracle and 2 from contemplative.

I'm sure there are more domains I could acquire... just always have something for all situations using a multitude of domains.

SoD
2008-04-20, 11:17 AM
I thought that Spontaneous Domain only let you cast from a single domain? Or were you planning on taking the feat multiple times?

Chronos
2008-04-20, 11:19 AM
Sovereign Speaker picks up something like nine domains over the course of its progression, but there's some odd restrictions on what they can be, and I think it might cost a casting level or two.

You might also want to look into the feat Customize Domain, to give you access to some spells that aren't on any existing domain list at all.

avr
2008-04-20, 06:14 PM
Sovereign speaker is in Faiths of Eberron; You lose 2 casting levels over the 9-level class, and you get a bonus domain each level. You can only pick domains from members of the Sovereign Host (unless you/your DM adapts it to some other pantheon, I guess), and you cannot have more than 2 of the domains offered by any individual member of the Host.

It also costs you a dud feat to enter (Worldly Focus - you don't need a divine focus to cast spells which normally require such), so figure this in if your were thinking of taking Spontaneous Domain multiple times.

riddles
2008-04-21, 03:52 AM
the is an alternate class feature in phb2 that lets you do this in exchange for the ability to spontaneously cast cure spells

SamTheCleric
2008-04-21, 07:31 AM
the is an alternate class feature in phb2 that lets you do this in exchange for the ability to spontaneously cast cure spells

I don't wish to lose the ability to cast cure spells. I want to leave my domain slot open and fill it as needed... though I may have missed that it only works on one Domain... which may be too much of a feat investment. :smallbiggrin:

Kizara
2008-04-21, 07:58 AM
The problem with being a 'support cleric' is that all the good clericy buffs are personal only.

Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Divine Power, Righteous Might.

Crown of Smiting, Channeled Divine Shield, Crown of Might, Blade of Blood.

Etc.

I mean, sure you got the Bull's Strength and Endurance that can be cast on others, but there isn't a whole lot else (note I'm making a general statement, there ARE other spells, just not many in comparison).

Grynning
2008-04-21, 08:02 AM
Shield of Faith and all of the Crown spells may be cast on others, and Blade of Blood can be placed on another's weapon.

It's still true that Cleric's are "better" if played selfishly, but they are still excellent buffers.

Kizara
2008-04-21, 08:05 AM
Shield of Faith and all of the Crown spells may be cast on others, and Blade of Blood can be placed on another's weapon.

It's still true that Cleric's are "better" if played selfishly, but they are still excellent buffers.

Sure, if you can convince your DM that you cast a spell on your buddy's weapon in the middle of combat. I mean, its a 1 round spell, so you have to cast it in melee on your fighter's weapon per-se. Really, its alot more practical just to cast it on YOUR weapon.

As for the Crowns: my bad, you're right they are touch ranged. I just never bothered to use it on another, as my cleric was always the best option. :)

Crimson Avenger
2008-04-21, 08:05 AM
The problem with being a 'support cleric' is that all the good clericy buffs are personal only.

Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Divine Power, Righteous Might.

Crown of Smiting, Channeled Divine Shield, Crown of Might, Blade of Blood.

Etc.

I mean, sure you got the Bull's Strength and Endurance that can be cast on others, but there isn't a whole lot else (note I'm making a general statement, there ARE other spells, just not many in comparison).

Easiest way around that is Craft WI. With CWI you can put all of those uber personal cleric spells in one use items. Costs the same as making a potion, but without the no personal spell restrictions.

Kizara
2008-04-21, 08:06 AM
Easiest way around that is Craft WI. With CWI you can put all of those uber personal cleric spells in one use items. Costs the same as making a potion, but without the no personal spell restrictions.

What the heck is a WI?

Crimson Avenger
2008-04-21, 08:10 AM
Wonderous Item

Crimson Avenger
2008-04-21, 08:14 AM
Or level restrictions, can't forget those. Can't put a 7th level spell into a potion, but you can put it into a one shot wonderous item.