PDA

View Full Version : Druid (yes, yet another damn druid) question

Theodoxus
2008-04-20, 06:50 PM
Hello, all you happy people.

I'm making a dwarf druid using the UA varient:
"The druid might choose to give up her wild shape ability in exchange for becoming a swift and deadly hunter. Gain: Bonus to Armor Class when unarmored (as monk, including Wisdom bonus to AC), fast movement (as monk), favored enemy (as ranger), swift tracker (as ranger), Track feat (as ranger). Lose: Armor and shield proficiency, wild shape (all versions)."

Basically, I don't want to mess with wild shape/shapeshift, and these abilities sound pretty decent in exchange - btw, I know, after reading a lot of threads, that my desire to give up wild shape will be thrown in my face as 'getting rid of the uberness of the druid' or somesuch. Don't bother replying if that's your thought (though again, I know you will /sigh.) I won't be changing my mind on this.

My question however is what feats do I take? I currently have (in no particular order, except where pre-req's are concerned): Augment Summoning, Spell Focus (Conjuration), Greenbound Summoning and Imbued Summoning.
Other than that, I have no clue what to take... Druid weapon choices are meh... and I'd like to avoid multiclassing to fighter - though the martial weapons would be nice... I have a fondness for the Dwarven Waraxe... So, any suggestions?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Theo

Kizara
2008-04-20, 06:51 PM
Companion Spell from PHB2 and Improved Initiative.

The_Snark
2008-04-20, 07:04 PM
Basically, I don't want to mess with wild shape/shapeshift, and these abilities sound pretty decent in exchange - btw, I know, after reading a lot of threads, that my desire to give up wild shape will be thrown in my face as 'getting rid of the uberness of the druid' or somesuch. Don't bother replying if that's your thought (though again, I know you will /sigh.) I won't be changing my mind on this.

Don't worry about it. Speaking as somebody who always shuns Wild Shape for this variant or the Shapeshift one, I can tell you that this variant is still perfectly viable.

Anyway—it sounds like you'll be doing a fair bit of summoning, so Augment Elemental might be a good choice. (It's from an Eberron setting book, but the feat itself doesn't have any particular ties to the setting.) Elementals are already generally good choices for summoning, and some extra attack potential, damage, and health will help them out.

Draz74
2008-04-20, 07:15 PM
Don't worry about it. Speaking as somebody who always shuns Wild Shape for this variant or the Shapeshift one, I can tell you that this variant is still perfectly viable.

In fact, you'll still be plenty overpowered if you use Greenbound Summoning as-written. (Its author stated that it was supposed to have a +2 level metamagic property, which somehow got edited out by others.)

UglyPanda
2008-04-20, 07:18 PM
Greenbound is ridiculously good, with how overpowered it is depending on your level.

Don't bother taking a level of fighter, just blow a feat on Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Spiked Chain) or Martial Weapon Proficiency(Glaive). Not that it matters anyway, with that many summoning feats, you're the kind of character that hangs out in the back and tosses spells around.

Chronos
2008-04-20, 07:31 PM
btw, I know, after reading a lot of threads, that my desire to give up wild shape will be thrown in my face as 'getting rid of the uberness of the druid' or somesuch.Yeah, wildshape is awesome, but then, so is spellcasting, and the druid is still a full spellcaster. And that's a pretty big list of things you get in exchange. So your overall uberness quotient is still very high.

Eldariel
2008-04-20, 07:57 PM
Basically, the biggest problem with the variant is that you can't rely on Shapeshift to fix your low stats anymore, so you'll probably need some amount of Dexterity for Initiative and AC. Other than that, you're good to go. Heck, you can even do some Clericing it up by being the party tank while still having your kickass animal companion, summons and spells.

Crazy Scot
2008-04-21, 01:51 AM
I agree with you that this variant is good. If you get to a point where you need to shapechange, you have access to some spells to help you there, but the benefits of the trade are well worth it.

As to feats, if you want to stay in the back and not become a tank, then yes stay with the feats you suggested. If you want to be doing any tank work, then I might suggest Extend Spell, and eventually Persist Spell. As a druid you get access to some great buff spells, and if you are tanking the one thing you DO NOT want to happen is your buff spells to falter. If you aren't tanking, though, these would become less potent. Unless, of course, you are casting them on the party tank, and then the tank won't want them failing him/her part way through the fight.

Talic
2008-04-21, 03:46 AM
Hmmm. Take a statistically weak class, blend with a statistically strong class, sounds good to me.

Removing Weapon Use and wildshape removes a lot of offensive ability from the class, but it looks like you're trying to offset that with summons. Good choice. I believe there's a Rapid Summon ability that lowers cast times, otherwise, Consider giving up the animal companion for an elemental companion (Complete Mage variant). They're useful, really useful.

Core Druid spells are kinda between wizard and cleric. They don't buff as well as cleric, don't kill as well as wizard, but they get a bit of both. The big things druids really do well is weather effects. Control Winds, Earthquake, control weather, things like that.

Most of the druid's spells target Fort (a few gems get around this, and I'm a big fan of the trap spells). There's a scarcity in spells that really hurt that target Ref and Will saves, so leave the wizard to be batman. You buff, summon, and hurt. Some suggested Elemental summons. I'm gonna throw my vote in for Animals at mid/high levels. Why? Because of the 5th level spell Animal Growth (+8 Str/Con, up a size, +4 to saves? Yes please). Wait for level 17 and shapeshift for your shifting ability, you'll be ok until then with being an army summoner/support caster.

Still, Wisdom is a strong stat for Druids anyway, no use NOT to have an 18, even if it's not buffing AC. More the better if it is. Go with Con/Dex secondary (on point buy, I'd go 14 in each), and put leftover points into Str. You won't be a front line fighter, don't try. Stick to support. Use your summons to hurt when possible, and only go into battle personally if it can't be avoided.

EDIT: Avoid the temptation to pick up "bully" spells. Yes, spells like Creeping Doom and Call Lightning are flashy and fun, but, at the levels you're using them, they'll not often have the impact you'll need to make a difference. If they are, then you're fighting something that shouldn't be a challenge. Also, never memorize Summon Nature's Ally. You spontaneous Cast it, so get other spells, and get rid of the less useful ones as needed.

Crazy Scot
2008-04-21, 05:46 AM
Actually, Talic, you don't give up your weapon proficiencies at all. You just give up your armor/shield proficiencies. But with the right buffs, you can get yourself a nice compliment of natural attacks. Theodoxus, if you can get your hands on the Spell Compendium you will be golden. There are some great buff spells in there that are well worth memorizing. I would also recommend going with the Elemental Companion variant.