PDA

View Full Version : Pinball Charger [PrC]

watsyurname529
2008-04-20, 06:50 PM
PINBALL CHARGER

"Just wait 'till I get rollin'." - Smash, Warforged Pinball

Your a crazy warrior who threw away weapons in favor of just slamming into your opponents with your armor. You tumble around hitting people and running them over. Some powerful pinball chargers can even hit two people in the same charge.

BECOMING A PINBALL CHARGER
How you would normally become a member of this prestige class.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a Pinball Charger, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Tumble 4 Ranks, Jump 6 Ranks
Feats: Powerful Charge, Power Attack
Proficiency: Must be proficient in Medium or Heavy Armor
Special: Must be tought the pinball charge from another Pinball Charger

Class Skills
Pinball Charger’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Tumble (Dex), Swim (Str)
Skills Points at Each Level : 2 + Int Mod

Hit Dice: d10

BAB Fort Ref Will Abilities Slam Damage
1. +1 +2 +2 +0 Pinball Charge, Rolling Armor 1d6
2. +2 +3 +3 +0 Steel Pinball +1, Heavy Ball 1d6
3. +3 +3 +3 +1 Spin Ball, Roll Over 1d10
4. +4 +4 +4 +1 Steel Pinball +2, Cannon Ball 1d10
5. +5 +4 +4 +1 Bumper Hit 2d6

Weapon Proficiencies: The Pinball Charger gains proficiency in their slam but no new armor proficiencies.

Slam (Ex): The Pinball Charger uses themself as a weapon, slamming in to their enemies, although they still need some steel to slam with. You gain a slam attack with damage equal to the chart that deals bludgeoning damage and threatens a critical on a 20/x2. The slam only works if you are wearing Medium or Heavy Armor. If armor spikes are used, the damage is increased by one die and it does Piercing & Bludgeoning damage.

Note: Anytime you use a feat or other ability that uses an Armor Spike attack, you may use your slam attack (and damage) instead; Ex. Blood Spiked Charger.

Pinball Charge (Ex): The Pinball Charger's signature move, the pinball charge. By tumbling, jumping, and then slamming into your opponent is where it got its name. By making a DC 15 Tumble Check you can roll and try to slam into your opponent dealing your slam damage plus your strength mod. You still must make a normal attack to deal damage. Also, you gain a +4 to AC to all AoO's made against you while charging.

Rolling Armor (Ex): The Pinball Charger practices in his armor and refines his technique to make the best of the armor. When making a pinball charge, you may ignore the movement penalty from Medium or Heavy Armor. Also, the Armor Check penalty for Tumble and Jump is reduced by half, rounded up.

Steel Pinball (Ex): The Pinball Charger uses the armor to get the best cover from attacks. The AC bonus from all Medium and Heavy Armor is increased by +1. It is increased to +2 at 4th Level.

Heavy Ball (Ex): The Pinball Charger uses the weight of his armor to cause the most damage. When making a pinball charge, you add 2x your strength mod to damage. Also, if you use power attack, the return is now 1:2 for BAB spent to Damage bonus.

Spin Ball (Ex): The Pinball Charger can roll around and change the direction of his charge to hit any opponent. While making a Pinball Charge, you can attempt a DC 17 Tumble Check to make one direction change during a charge. You still must have a line of sight to your enemy to charge.

Roll Over (Ex): The Pinball Charger can just run over people, leaving them in the dust. When making a Pinball Charge you are treated if having the Improved Overrun feat if you succeed on a DC 18 Tumble Check.

Cannon Ball (Ex): The Pinball Charger can leap into the air and come crashing down on his enemies dealing massive damage. When making a Pinball Charge, a Pinball Charger must make a Jump check equal to the AC of his target. If the check succeeds, the Pinball Charger deals twice the damage. Extra dice from enchantments, etc. are not doubled.

Bumper Hit (Ex): The Pinball Charger can hit one enemy, then bounce off and slam into another, both with rolling fury. A Pinball Charger may attack two opponets in the same Pinball charge, provided that they are no more than 15ft apart and you still have movement left. This requires a DC 20 Tumble check and the second attack suffers a -5 penalty.

PLAYING A PINBALL CHARGER
You are a charger. You are all about trying to do the most damage with one roll.
Combat: First action: Charge. Second action: Charge. Repeat as needed.
Advancement: Many Pinball Chargers go on to try to become better and more powerful warriors. Others go on to teach the Pinball Charge to inspiring young fighters.
Resources: Pinball Chargers can get resources from anywhere.

PINBALL CHARGERS IN THE WORLD
"That warforged is crazy. He just ran and rolled right into the orc!"
People view you as crazy, insane, or sucidal even. Others actually are interested by your bizarre fighting style.
Daily Life: Your typical day is that like anyother warrior, although your training is vastly different.
Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
Organizations: There are no real organization to Pinball Chargers, however Pinball Chargers are glad to help fellow Pinball Chargers on their quests and such.

NPC Reaction
This is an in detail description of how NPC's would perceive your class and the immediate generalization that people would give of your class.

PINBALL CHARGERS IN THE GAME
This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.
Adaptation: This is a place where you put in detail how people can adapt your class into their campaign setting.
Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Sample Encounter
Give an example of how one might encounter a member of this PrC.
EL x: Give the encounter level and description of a sample member of this class and a stat block for him/her.

Name
alignment/Gender/Race/Levels
Init +0, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed ()
hp ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will +
------------------------------------------------
Speed ft. ( squares)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Combat Gear
Spells Prepared
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions

dyslexicfaser
2008-04-20, 08:12 PM
Neat idea.

Very, very bizarre. But neat.

watsyurname529
2008-04-20, 08:40 PM
Neat idea.

Very, very bizarre. But neat.

Thank you! Yea, I try to come up with some bizarre PrC's. Some of my other insane PrC's include the Psychopath.

jagadaishio
2008-04-20, 09:45 PM
Wow, this is awesome. It looks fairly balanced, but there is some wording that you need to fix. I assume that Cannon Ball is a modified Pinball Charge, but as it stands now, it doesn't tell when it can be used.

Which classes do you see qualifying for this? I can only imagine a swashbuckler with the armor proficiency feats being able to qualify at fifth level.

watsyurname529
2008-04-20, 10:01 PM
Wow, this is awesome. It looks fairly balanced, but there is some wording that you need to fix. I assume that Cannon Ball is a modified Pinball Charge, but as it stands now, it doesn't tell when it can be used.

Which classes do you see qualifying for this? I can only imagine a swashbuckler with the armor proficiency feats being able to qualify at fifth level.

Fixed Cannon Ball wording. Lowered Jump Prereq a bit. Yea, now that you mention it I'm not sure on the classes. I want martial classes to take it as it's a full BAB warrior class but the skill set keeps that from happening.

I don't want to lower the skill prereqs too much, although do you think a Tumble +5, Jump +3 is too much still?

Roderick_BR
2008-04-20, 10:19 PM
Hmm... interesting concept. I know some players that would love to play dwarven pinballs... :smallbiggrin:
Btw, if you have the PHB2, check the Blood-Spiked Charger tactical feat. It basically allows you to make a charge and hit with armor spikes and shield spikes, gaining some damage bonuses. Think Sonic the hedgehog.
You think that could be combined with this class?

Mewtarthio
2008-04-20, 10:39 PM
Anyone else think of that kid from Hook? What was his name? "Thudbutt"?

watsyurname529
2008-04-21, 03:42 PM
Hmm... interesting concept. I know some players that would love to play dwarven pinballs... :smallbiggrin:
Btw, if you have the PHB2, check the Blood-Spiked Charger tactical feat. It basically allows you to make a charge and hit with armor spikes and shield spikes, gaining some damage bonuses. Think Sonic the hedgehog.
You think that could be combined with this class?

I put in a note saying that you could use your slam instead of the armor spikes which gives you a damage boost. Also I changed the text under Heavy Ball to include you now get a 1:2 output for Power Attack.

jagadaishio
2008-04-22, 06:25 PM
The real problem with the skill prerequisites is that A: Only lightly armored or unarmored classes have Tumble as a class skill and B: Typically the skill prerequisites are listed as X Number of Ranks in [Skill], not +X Bonus in [Skill].

lord of kobolds
2008-04-22, 06:25 PM
Does Anyone Else Think Of Pwent When They Hear This??

watsyurname529
2008-04-22, 06:56 PM
The real problem with the skill prerequisites is that A: Only lightly armored or unarmored classes have Tumble as a class skill and B: Typically the skill prerequisites are listed as X Number of Ranks in [Skill], not +X Bonus in [Skill].

I changed it to Tumble 5 Ranks, which can be attained at 7th Level for any class without Tumble as a class skill.

Although do you think I should change it to any armor, or at least Light armor will work but it lowers the damage die by one?

SilverClawShift
2008-04-22, 07:26 PM
Triple Bumper Hit [General]

Prerequisite
Bumper Hit class feature

Benefit
You can use your Pinball Charge to strike up to three opponents during your charge, provided no two opponents are more than 15 feet apart and you have sufficient movement to reach all three.
Triple Bumper Hit still requires a DC 20 Tumble check, and the third attack suffers a -10 penalty.

Normal
You can only attack two opponents during a Pinball Charge.

In my groups next game, we're planning on taking existing ideas from pop culture and turn them into characters. For instance, one of our players is going to be a Hellbred Soulknife, using a feat to turn their mindblade into a spiked chain. The DM is going to let him spend feats to gain additional reach and extra chains as he levels up.
Yes, he's going to be a Hellbred Soulknife with a bunch of spiked chains he controls with his mind. Yes, he's going to be spawn minus the cape and plus a face.

I'm going to print this out and see if my DM will let me be a Shifter with blue hair heading into the Pinball Charger class. I will execute many a spindash.

Anyway, I made this feat because I want it. Figured I might as well post it :smalltongue:

watsyurname529
2008-04-22, 07:43 PM
Looks fine to me. You have fun with that "shifter" of yours, lol.

jagadaishio
2008-04-22, 10:22 PM
If you change the prerequisites to Tumble 4 ranks and Jump 8 ranks, a fighter can qualify for this class after fifth level, which it seems like this class was rather intended for. Once problem that I've noticed is combining tumble checks and heavy armor. High armor check penalties tend to inhibit the use to acrobatic skills.

watsyurname529
2008-04-23, 04:28 PM
If you change the prerequisites to Tumble 4 ranks and Jump 8 ranks, a fighter can qualify for this class after fifth level, which it seems like this class was rather intended for. Once problem that I've noticed is combining tumble checks and heavy armor. High armor check penalties tend to inhibit the use to acrobatic skills.

Well yea, I looked at it and thought about it and that makes it easier for the Heavy Armor Melee fighters it's intended for to get it so Tumble 4 Ranks and Jump 6 Ranks is fine.

Also, Rolling Armor decreases the ACP by half (for Jump/Tumble) so a standard section of Full-Plate is only a -3 for Jump and Tumble and if you put all the skills into Jump and Tumble it shouldn't be that bad.

Also you could easily make a set of Pinball Boots which give you a constant +2 to Jump and Tumble which would be about 1,000gp.