PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Machina (Base Class)

Realms of Chaos
2008-04-20, 07:00 PM
I don't think that I've ever posted this on these threads or if I did, it was awhile back. Either way, please enjoy.

Deus Ex Machina

The hydra emerged from its cave, furiously chasing the fools who had awakened it from its slumber. The elf, half-orc, halfling, and human barreled forwards through the woods, scared out of their skins.
“Every told you it was far to strong for folks like us but you just couldn’t listen, could you, Krusk?” piped the halfling between pants.
“Shut your trap, Lidda” replied Krusk, “I can run much faster than you. Don’t tempt me to leave you behind. Besides, I thought you said fire would work, Mialee”
“It would’ve,” interrupted the human, carrying a heavy prayerbook under his arm, “if that weren’t a pyrohydra”
“Krusk. Anselmo. Keep quiet. How was I supposed to know it was a pyrohydra?,” gasped the elf as she ran with her similarly heavy spellbook.
“The torched forest, for one thing,” said Krusk, sniggering despite the gravity of the situation.
Lidda couldn’t run anymore. Not with her poor constitution and lack of endurance. The others stopped and stared in horror at their exhausted friend.
Krusk was the first to verbalize their thoughts, “today is as good a day as any to die,” he said, grabbing his axe. Following suit, Mialee and Anselmo each drew out their books and the exhausted Lidda pulled out her dagger.
The pyrohydra emerged into the small clearing, more incensed than ever. Its 8 heads flew about wildly and terribly uncoordinatedly. As it readied itself to bite and rend, its heads trained themselves upon a fifth target, an old man wearing a tattered cloak.
“Get out of here, old man,” bellowed Krusk with false confidence, “we can handle this beast.”
“Can you now?” asked the old man as his pale blue eyes sparkled. “I’m sorry, youngster, but I think it’s a bit out of your league,” he said as he drew out a glowing shortsword.
The hydra, not caring about the conversation in the least, decided to take out some of its pent up rage on the newcomer.
The newcomer dodged several heads with ease before a particularly well-coordinated one flew forwards.
Lacking so much as a shield, the old man simple held up his sword in defense. Wielding that sword, he blocked and deflected the angry assault.
As the hydra withdrew its heads, it felt a strange warm liquid dripping down its chest. Looking down, the last sight that each of its heads took in was that of a glowing hilt emerging from its chest, from which blood flowed down.
As the hydra collapsed, dead, the Anselmo, Krusk, Lidda, and Mialee stared at the old man, mouths agape. The old man wordlessly withdrew his blade from the beast and started to walk away.
“Who are you?” asked Krusk.
“You help those who get in trouble. I help those who get in over their heads,” replied the old man.
As soon as the final word passed through his lips, the old man vanished, just as fast as he had appeared.

Hit Dice: d6

[B]Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Maximum Spell Level
1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Just as planned 1/day 1st
Tools of the Trade
2 +1 +3 +0 +3 In the nick of time 1st
Canny Defense
3 +2 +3 +1 +3 Just as planned 2/day 1st
4 +3 +4 +1 +4 Stay out of trouble 2nd
5 +3 +4 +1 +4 Just as planned 3/day 2nd
6 +4 +5 +2 +5 I’m needed elsewhere 2nd
7 +5 +5 +2 +5 Just as planned 4/day 3rd
8 +6/+1 +6 +2 +6 Let’s patch him up 3rd
9 +6/+1 +6 +3 +6 Just as planned 5/day 3rd
10 +7/+2 +7 +3 +7 You’re just a bad liar 4th
11 +8/+3 +7 +3 +7 Just as planned 6/day 4th
12 +9/+4 +8 +4 +8 You owe me a favor 4th
13 +9/+4 +8 +4 +8 Just as planned 7/day 5th
14 +10/+5 +9 +4 +9 I’ll do some research 5th
15 +11/+6/+1 +9 +4 +9 Just as planned 8/day 5th
16 +12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +10 Improved let’s patch him up 6th
17 +12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +10 Just as planned 9/day 6th
18 +13/+8/+3 +11 +5 +11 You’re coming with me 6th
19 +14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +11 Just as planned 10/day 7th
20 +15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +12 Heroic sacrifice 7th
Skill points: 2 + Int modifier (x4 at 1st level): Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (all skills, taken separately), listen, profession, ride, sense motive, spellcraft, spot

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: You gain proficiency with simple weapons and one martial weapon of your choice as well as with light armor and shields (but not tower shields).

Spellcasting: At 1st level, you must choose whether you will cast divine spells from the cleric spell list or arcane spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. This choice may not be changed and regardless of choice, you may only cast spells presented in the players handbook. Every day, you gain a number of spell slots equal to your level, which may be used to[ cast any spell from your spell list up to the maximum listed level. No spell may be cast more than once within a 24 hour period and you may not cast more than two spells of the highest available spell level each day.
To cast a spell, you must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The difficulty class against your spell is 10 + the spell level + your Charisma modifier. You gain no bonus spell slots for having high ability scores.
You need not prepare your spells ahead of time. Instead, you must get 8 hours of sleep (or rest) and 15 minutes of reflection each day to reclaim your spell slots.
Spells gained from levels in this class cannot be altered with metamagic feats but may still be utilized in the creation of magic items.

Just as planned: Once per day at 1st level, and once more per day every odd level afterwards, you may take 10 on any attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. You may spend two daily uses to take 15 on any such roll. You may spend four daily uses to take 20 on any such roll. When taking 20, any saving throw automatically succeeds and any attack threatens a critical hit. Whenever you expend one or more daily uses of this ability for any reason, you take 1 nonlethal damage/level for each expended use.

Tools of the Trade: You have an almost unnatural tendency for holding whatever you happen to need at the time, even if you forget that you have purchased it. Once per day per class level, you may discover any item on your person as if you had already purchased it and only just remembered it. Only items worth no more than 50 gp/level and that weigh no more than 10 pounds may be discovered in this way. When using this ability, you lose an amount of coins that sum up to the items cost.
Alternately, you may state that you have retroactively stolen an item. Doing so requires a successful sleight of hand check (DC= price of item in gp, minimum 1 x 5). If this check is failed, that daily usage is wasted as they remember they thought better of it or that they were caught and forced to return the item. This use does not expend money.

In the nick of time: Starting at 2nd level, you gain an impeccable sense of timing in combat. They gain a +10 bonus on initiative checks. In addition, the first time in an encounter that you strike a target for lethal damage, he invigorates all around him, stabilizing all dying creatures within a 100 feet radius.

Canny Defense: Starting at 2nd level, you learn how to block oncoming attacks with your weapon. As an immediate action, you may make an attack roll against a target, using the result in place of your AC against a single attack. This ability can be used in combination with your just as planned ability.
Weapons are bad at deflecting magic, imposing a –4 penalty on your attack roll if it is used to fight off an attack from a source like melf’s acid arrows or a ray. In addition, for each size category larger than you that a creature is, you take a –2 penalty on attack rolls made to deflect their constructed or natural weaponry.
You can use this ability to protect an adjacent ally, using your result as their AC against an attack. Doing so imposes an additional –4 penalty on the attack roll and provokes an attack of opportunity, however.
You can choose to use this ability while unarmed but you take a –4 penalty on your attack roll unless you possess the improved unarmed fighting feat. You may use natural weapons without penalty, however.
Whenever you use this ability, you take a –5 penalty on all other attack rolls made until the end of your next turn.

Stay out of trouble: Starting at 4th level, while you are conscious, all allies within a 100-foot radius of you must make a will save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + charisma modifier) in order to take any offensive action. In addition, the same saving throw must be made in order to make bluff checks, forgery checks, or sleight of hand checks. Whenever you take an offensive action or use any of these skill, this effect is suppressed for 5 minutes. In addition, you can suppress this ability for 5 minutes as a swift action.
A creature who fails on a saving throw against this ability cannot attempt to break it again until the effect is suppressed and returns again, they are dealt lethal damage, or 1 hour passes.

I’m needed elsewhere: Starting at 6th level, you gain a new way to expend uses of just as planned. For each daily use you expend as a full-round action, you may teleport up to 1 mile. You may bring no creatures with you, even in extradimensional spaces, but you may carry up to 50 pounds of equipment with you. The teleportation is somewhat unruly, however, positioning you 5x1d% feet away from your precise destination in a random direction.

Let’s patch him up: Starting at 8th level, you can heal the wounds of other living creatures (but not yourself) by touch. Each day you can heal a number of points of damage equal to twice your class level x your Charisma bonus. In addition, when you reflect to regain your spell slots, you may give up any number of daily uses of just as planned to gain 5 extra points of healing for each expended use. You can choose to divide your healing among multiple recipients, and you don’t have to use it all at once. Using this ability is a standard action. It has no effect on undead. In addition, you can also use this ability to remove harmful conditions affecting your target:
For every 5 points of your healing ability you expend, you can cure 1 point of ability damage or remove the dazed, fatigued, or sickened condition from one individual.
For every 10 points of your healing ability that you expend, you can remove the exhausted, nauseated, poisoned, or stunned condition from one individual.
For every 20 points of your healing ability you expend, you can remove a negative level or the blinded, deafened, or diseased condition from one individual.
You cannot heal both conditions and health with one use of this ability. Furthermore, you cannot heal more than one type of condition with a single use (although you can heal more than one poison, disease, negative level, or point of ability damage with a single use).

You’re just a bad liar: Starting at 10th level, you become better at seeing through trickery. You gain a +10 bonus on sense motive checks made against bluff checks and on spot checks made against disguise checks. Furthermore, you are automatically aware of when the sleight of hand skill is used to take an item off of your person and you automatically wake up is such an attempt if made while you sleep.

You owe me a favor: Starting at 12th level, you can force compensation from those you aid. As a full-round action, you can use geas/quest as a spell-like ability on a creature within a 30 feet of yourself. The target may make a will save to resist the effect (DC 18 + charisma modifier). The caster level of the ability is equal to your class level. You cannot use this ability against hostile targets. If the target has been affected by your let’s patch him up ability within the last 24 hours, the target takes a –4 penalty on their will save.

I’ll do some research: Starting at 14th level, you can find just about anything out, given enough time. If you spend 1d4 days in research, you can take 20 on any knowledge check, even if you lack any ranks in the appropriate knowledge skill.
If you spend 1d4 weeks in research, you can obtain supernatural knowledge. At the end of this time, you may imitate a Commune, Discern Location, Divination, or Legend Lore spell, with a caster level equal to your class level.

Improved let’s patch him up: Starting at 16th level, you can use your let’s patch him up ability to bring the dead back to life. In order to do so, you must spend a number of points of healing equal to or greater than the target’s maximum hit points. However, the creature loses a level when they are revived. If they are at 1st level, they lose 2 points of constitution instead. Creatures affected by this ability lose all spell slots or prepared spells they had left at the time of their death. This ability can only revive creatures if they have been dead for 1 year or less and cannot revive targets that have died by natural causes.
A creature brought back to life by this ability takes a –8 penalty on saving throws against your you owe me a favor ability (instead of the normal –4 penalty).

You’re coming with me: Starting at 18th level, when you use your I’m needed elsewhere ability, you may take a number of other willing touched creatures with you, up to the number of daily uses you expend. In addition, you may spend one or more daily uses to travel to another plane (taking with you a number of willing targets equal to the number of daily uses expended).

Heroic Sacrifice: At 20th level, you can sacrifice yourself to save another. When you are knocked down to –10 hit points or fail a saving throw against a death affect, you enter a state of intense rage (or clarity) for 1 round/level instead of dying. During this time, you have limitless uses of just as planned and cannot be killed, either by damage nor death effects (although other effects, such as petrification, still works on you).
In addition, when you enter this state, you grant all allies within 100 feet-radius area 40 temporary hit points and a +30 foot enhancement bonus to their speed for 5 minutes or until they take an offensive action, whichever comes first.

DISCLAIMERS:
Wait, are you serious about this thing?
NOOOOOOO!!!! this class is a joke, or at least something close to it. There have always been games where DMs decide to include incredibly vague but powerful NPCs, DMPCs, or just the Deus Ex Machina to prevent a TPK. This class was created only to act as the alternative to just making an incredibly high level character of an existing class. The class was created so that the character could save everyone and either run off into the distance or follow them around for a little.

Why didn’t you just give it perfect everything?
This is a question that I expect that I’ll get a lot. Some people are almost inevitably going to suggest to just go overboard and give it a d% for hit dice, 10 + int for skill points, or immunity to Chuck Norris. That wasn’t the point of this class. Whenever a DM uses a DMPC or Deus Ex Machina right now, they are quite blatantly cheating. Forget the fact that they make the rules and can make gravity a flavor of pudding. They are cheating and they know it to a greater or lesser extent. This is here and is the way it is so that the DM doesn’t feel so bad about it. If the giant PC savior has definite limits built in and can actually be killed, DMs can feel slightly better about themselves. Although a Deus Ex Machina jumping into a single encounter may seem just as powerful as the previous plot device ones, they are actually quite fragile, knowledge that can help (some) DMs sleep easier at night.

Does is complete its job elegantly?
Hard question. I gave it the ability to do everything that DMPCs and important NPCs do, such as preventing combat, healing and reviving, teleporting away for no reason, seeming perfect in every way, holding every possible bit of convenient equipment, and putting quests upon PCs. Furthermore, I managed to turn all of that into a cogent, if overpowered, class. That said, no, it does not do its job elegantly. DMPCs and railroading NPCs are evil constructions by nature. Even if I can make their execution more efficient, there will never ever be anything elegant about them.

So this is just a giant pointless waste?
Exactly! :D

lord of kobolds
2008-04-22, 05:33 PM
I Must Admit, This Was Pretty Funny!