PDA

View Full Version : Monster suggestions

Generic Archer
2008-04-20, 09:50 PM
I'm about to run my first campaign as a DM and I'm having trouble finding a suitable creature.
What I'm after is something of CR 3-5, lawful, which was appointed to guard a long deserted armory...
possibly something similar in appearance to the guardian on page 84 of dungeonscape if anyone can identify that

Thanks

Nebo_
2008-04-20, 09:53 PM
I'm about to run my first campaign as a DM and I'm having trouble finding a suitable creature.
What I'm after is something of CR 3-5, lawful, which was appointed to guard a long deserted armory...
possibly something similar in appearance to the guardian on page 84 of dungeonscape if anyone can identify that

Thanks

Dwarf Ancestor - I can't remember the book. Someone else will.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-20, 09:59 PM
Why not a Hound Archon?

dman11235
2008-04-20, 10:09 PM
You could always just make a warforged or some other eternal race L/x cleric/paladin/fighter/crusader/what have you.

Dode
2008-04-20, 10:33 PM
Bueroza - pg. 137 of Fiendish Codex 2

A better fit would be a Nimblewright in the MM2 (pg 164) but that's CR 7

Oh, also in the MM2 is the Dread Guard, which after factoring in MM2 errata, is CR 3 and looks exactly like thing in Dungeonscape

Generic Archer
2008-04-21, 02:02 AM
Thanks all,
I went with warforged in the end although if i hadn't already set it all out i probably would have used Dread guards

Dane

hamishspence
2008-04-21, 04:12 AM
Spectator beholderkin from Lords of Madness is a more unusual sort of guardian.

nargbop
2008-04-22, 10:45 AM
As a first-time DM, try to use Core only. You can fiddle with the backstory as you please, but fiddling with the rules too much leads to great confusion. For example, in your situation (lawful guardian spirit of an ancient armory), I would make the thing a ghost human paladin. Depending on your intentions for the place, you can play this story a lot of ways - why is he here?

Ghosts are DIFFICULT for low-level characters to fight because they don't have to stay on the ground. Frightful presence and the other powers are very powerful when the main damage-dealers are pissing themselves and unable to hit back.