PDA

View Full Version : Requesting assistance with Warlock Gestalt

perpetualnoise
2008-04-20, 11:33 PM
Hello all, thanks again for any and all help I recieve.

I'm building a new character for my friends gestalt campaign and would like to get any imput or help I can.

Specifics
It's an evil campaign, any and all rule books available (Dungeon/Dragon magazines only upon review).
I was thinking making a warlock/rogue combo with a skill focus in diplomacy but that might stretch my skills and feats thin if i focus on that to much.
I was planing on making use of the Catfolk race because of the nifty DEX and CHA bonus and with LA buyoffs, its only a 3000 xp set back.

The other characters in the group are:
-Mounted charging Death Knight/Fighter (on average does about 50ish points of damage per hit, before charging)
-Warmage/Wizard (nuker)
-Rogue/Wizard/Fighter/other stuff (focusing mainly on wizardry and RPing)
-Ranger/Dragon (full blooded dragon)
-Psion/something/Pryokinetist (sporadic in attendence)

It is an extremly powered game with low magic items at our level (10)

If someone thinks something other than a warlock/rogue combo would be better, I'd be more then happy to hear about it.

Any and all help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and no drow, they don't exsist in our campaign.

EDIT: With Warlock, I planned to take Hellfire Warlock at lvl 10, but my question is that once you're done with the 3 lvls, and go from a lvl 9 warlock/3 hellfire warlock to 10 warlock/3 hellfire ect, do you go back to the same increase to your Eldritch Blast and invokations you get at as a normal lvl 10 warlock since you gained them as a lvl 1, 2, and 3 HF warlock? I hope this makes sense. THX

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-20, 11:37 PM
Warlock//Rogue is insanely good. I cannot recommend it enough. Catfolk is all sorts of fun, too. You can easily be good a Diplomacy and Bluff, as Cha is your primary stat and you have massive skill points.

monty
2008-04-20, 11:41 PM
Since you're in a low magic item campaign, you might want to consider adding in two levels of Chameleon, something like the build I posted here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4180678&postcount=38) If you move the two levels to the rogue side, you can craft almost any magic item by level 12. Also, you'd take the skillmonkey role your group seems to be lacking.

FlyMolo
2008-04-20, 11:53 PM
Since you're in a low magic item campaign, you might want to consider adding in two levels of Chameleon, something like the build I posted here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4180678&postcount=38) If you move the two levels to the rogue side, you can craft almost any magic item by level 12. Also, you'd take the skillmonkey role your group seems to be lacking.

Skillmonkeys: Social skills (already covered. This guy's got diplomacy sewn up.) and trapfinding/lock breaking, really. Trapfinding/lock breaking are replaced totally by shatter and, well, an indiscriminate approach to someone else's stuff. Seriously, who would ever disarm a trap when you could simply break down the walls? :smalltongue:

GoodbyeSoberDay
2008-04-20, 11:54 PM
Well, I see your group isn't going to have much of a problem pumping out the damage.

Benefiting from any sort of full divine spell list might be tough, though. How low magic do you mean? Can I get your starting gold? If it's high enough, you might need to become the party's replacement healbot (outside of combat, of course). A wand of cure light for the ranger/dragon coupled with a few of the restoration line scrolls for you can go a long way, and Warlock//Rogues don't really need too much equipment to survive.

perpetualnoise
2008-04-21, 12:03 AM
Well, I see your group isn't going to have much of a problem pumping out the damage.

Benefiting from any sort of full divine spell list might be tough, though. How low magic do you mean? Can I get your starting gold? If it's high enough, you might need to become the party's replacement healbot (outside of combat, of course). A wand of cure light for the ranger/dragon coupled with a few of the restoration line scrolls for you can go a long way, and Warlock//Rogues don't really need too much equipment to survive.

Normal WBL so money really isnt a problem. By low magic, i mean more or less of magic weapons and such, nothing medium at our level and deffinatly no majors, and MageMart went out of business. I had figured that with UMD, i'd end up with some rods of CSW or whatever and that isn't a problem.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2008-04-21, 12:12 AM
Well, if you're grabbing the heal wand, you're better off getting a wand of lesser vigor. Hopefully you can get some scrolls of lesser restoration, restoration, and other useful Cleric spells as well, just in case you need them.

FlyMolo
2008-04-21, 12:15 AM
I recommend spellthief, mostly because I've always wanted to play one because they sound fun. With the right feats you could completely shut down enemy casters.

Voracious dispel!

Edit: Action economy thought: You can double the output of your friendly casters, spreading the hurt. A metamagiced enervation and a quickened chained magic weapon only hurts more if you borrow their acid splash and deal silly SA with it.

Chronos
2008-04-21, 12:17 AM
You definitely want to take some Chameleon levels when you can, then. In addition to the item crafting at level 12, you can also do thinks like put your floating feat on things like Extra Invocation, to get an invocation you can change every day (thereby bypassing the primary disadvantage of the warlock). Rogue//Warlock is great; Rogue/Chameleon//Warlock is even better. The only downside is that it's human-only (or dopplegangers or changelings), so you can't play your Catfolk.

I wouldn't bother with Hellfire Warlock. It's more trouble than it's worth to get around the Con damage, and you'll be doing tons of damage anyway with eldritch Sneak Attacks. It also slows down your warlock special abilities other than invoking and blasts, like the afore-mentioned Imbue Item (in a low-magic campaign, getting that is going to be like your birthday and Christmas falling on the same day).

perpetualnoise
2008-04-21, 01:52 AM
What about feats besides (Greater) Spell Pen? Anything specific that would be usefull?

Kurald Galain
2008-04-21, 02:07 AM
I wouldn't bother with Hellfire Warlock. It's more trouble than it's worth to get around the Con damage,
Really? In gestalt, especially, it sounds quite feasible. Take one level in Binder, since the tenth rogue level doesn't add sneak attack anyway.

Anyway, there has been a recent series of Gestalt build challenges, one of which involved warlocks (it's the "Flame of Anor" link in my sig, which incidentally is a rogue-lock; go to the whole thread from there to see more suggestions). While I'm sure most of those would be completely overpowered for any regular campaign (that, after all, was the point of the challenge), it has any number of usable suggestions and inspirations.

dspeyer
2008-04-21, 10:16 AM
Warlock//Rogue works well. Have you considered pixie as a race? The LA is higher, but if you can take it on one side or buy most of it off, it's worth it. You'd get a fly speed and greater invisibility at will (so you can always sneak attack), +8 dex, +6 cha, +6 int (which should make up for lost skills in the LA) and +4 wis (who knows? it could be handy), plus DR, SR and natural armor, which are always handy.

Plus being a totally badass pixie is just cool.