PDA

View Full Version : I Figured out V's Gender!

Stormpax
2008-04-21, 12:40 AM
HAHAHA!
V must be a male.
In Comic #237 when Roy becomes a girl, at the bottom of the page Haley makes a joke about Roy's "time of the month".
V is standing next to her looking confused, so he cannot be a girl otherwise he would have gotten that joke.
It makes sense. :smallbiggrin:

dish
2008-04-21, 12:43 AM
No, you haven't.

1. V is an elf, and they probably have a different type of menstrual cycle.

2. While the Giant began with a gender in mind for V, he enjoys the joke of gender ambiguity enough that he's constantly bombarding us with conflicting information and hints.

Trazoi
2008-04-21, 12:49 AM
I saw V's series of reactions in that comic to indicate that V didn't see any difference with Roy/Roylette apart from having a mop on his (her?) head. V appears to have the same problem telling human genders apart as us humans do for elves.

Stormpax
2008-04-21, 01:12 AM
i agree with both u
but i thought it was interesting no one else had spotted it.
Yea i probably jumped the gun.
lol:smalltongue:

Laurentio
2008-04-21, 02:26 AM
HAHAHA!
V must be a male.
In Comic #237 when Roy becomes a girl, at the bottom of the page Haley makes a joke about Roy's "time of the month".
V is standing next to her looking confused, so he cannot be a girl otherwise he would have gotten that joke.
It makes sense. :smallbiggrin:
Reeeeally arguable. V didn't recognized Roy's chance of sex, so it's probable that V considered him male, still (supposing that after a long time, V distinguished the gender of V's teammates). So, it would be quite confused to listen of a male "time of the month".

i agree with both u
but i thought it was interesting no one else had spotted it.
Yea i probably jumped the gun.
Actually, LOT of people spotted it. At the time, I even commented with a friend that probably elves speak of "The time of the year", or even more. But it degenerated quickly in a discussion that can't be reported on a public forum.

Laurentio

Ghastly Epigram
2008-04-21, 05:55 AM
:belkar:: "Bwahaha, I have proof of V's gender! And I know what the MitD is! Take that forum!" *Double stab*

:vaarsuvius:: "Urk."

:elan:: "OOTS FORUM!"

:vaarsuvius:: "*Cough splutter* "Uhhhhh...""

:elan:: "Are you OK?!"

:vaarsuvius:: "I...I fear I am not long for this world..."

:elan:: "No, do not say that! We can still make a sticky with all the most common theories, or, or flamethrowers, or -"

:vaarsuvius:: "Hush, my child...I am beyond help...but, there is still one more thing you can do for me..."

:elan:: "Of course forum! I'll do anything!"

:vaarsuvius:: "Come...come closer, my child...closer...closer..."

:elan:: "What do you want me to do?"

:vaarsuvius:: *Cough* "Make...make sure David Argall has a new webcomic to discuss..." *X-Eyes*

:elan:: "NOOOOOO!!!"

Niknokitueu
2008-04-21, 06:51 AM
Oh look it's a Monday (again).
Someone knows V's gender (again)
Someone else has pointed out that Rich has stated that V has an indetermined gender, and any allusions to a fixed gender in the comic is either deliberate confusion (ie like quotes of "you go, girl") or a mistake (either genuine one or us misinterpreting what has happened.).

Besides, everyone knows V is male... :smallbiggrin:

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Khanderas
2008-04-21, 07:08 AM
The OP probelbly knows the whole debate about V's gender. Because why else make a post saying he knows V's gender... without stating Roy's gender or Belkars.
Therefore the OP full well knows the V discussion, but just wanted some attention.

A'kin
2008-04-21, 07:11 AM
Do you guys get paid or something for bringing up this useless topic every once in a while? :smallconfused:

DraPrime
2008-04-21, 07:30 AM
Oh look. Another thread like this. Shall we euthanize it?

The Extinguisher
2008-04-21, 12:14 PM
Given that he uses the washroom once a week, I'm pretty sure she would have a different menstral cycle than a month. Remember, Sabine has her "time of the century"

Etheric
2008-04-21, 12:32 PM
I have always assumed that V was supposed to be male at the outset, from the fantasy stereotypes, elf males are a bit wimpy, elf females are sexy. If V's gender had been intended to be female at the start then it would have been obvious.

When Rich realised it was causing confusion and ran with it, at this point if he did decide the gender he will not necessarily go back to the one he origionally went with.

I don't think he is going to reveal the answer any time soon, so any clues will not be big ones, and more Rich having fun. At some point all will be revealed,

It would not suprise me if V's mate turns up at some point too (again with no obvious gender).

Not sure if that one warrents spoiler space or not, but lets be paranoid. Is a prediction after all.

†Seer†
2008-04-21, 12:32 PM
Oh look. Another thread like this. Shall we euthanize it?

No good, it's become resistant to our methods... :frown:

DraPrime
2008-04-21, 12:37 PM
Well we could bribe a mod.

Kato
2008-04-21, 01:06 PM
I know, I know, we shouldn't discuss this topic because V's lack of a defined gender is an ongoing joke and stuff... but... when in comic #123 the Order checks in at the inn why are V and Haley taking the same room? (and why are the guys eavesdropping when they talk about their crystal balls?) Isn't it quite sure then, that V's female?

Laurentio
2008-04-21, 01:16 PM
Well we could bribe a mod.
Naaa. Bashing newbies is a vile and useless thing. Newbie must be cared, educated and helped to became informed writers.
Obviously, sometimes they are just noobs... BASH THE NOOB!

Laurentio

Beholder1995
2008-04-21, 01:22 PM
I know, I know, we shouldn't discuss this topic because V's lack of a defined gender is an ongoing joke and stuff... but... when in comic #123 the Order checks in at the inn why are V and Haley taking the same room? (and why are the guys eavesdropping when they talk about their crystal balls?) Isn't it quite sure then, that V's female?

Yes, yes, yes. That point has been made before, and while it makes a good deal of sense, it's just as likely that V shares a room with Haley because V knows and trusts Haley more than anyone else in the party. In that case, V could be either male or female.

Niknokitueu
2008-04-21, 02:08 PM
Yes, yes, yes. That point has been made before, and while it makes a good deal of sense, it's just as likely that V shares a room with Haley because V knows and trusts Haley more than anyone else in the party. In that case, V could be either male or female.
Also worth noting that V is married, and (presumably) monogamous. Maybe Haley knows V won't try anything on with her...

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Jayabalard
2008-04-21, 02:53 PM
Well we could bribe a mod.you could also ignore it and pretend that it doesn't exist.

I just don't see the point of getting all frustrated about someone postingt a V's gender thread. Who cares if someone is wrong on the internet?
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

Laurentio
2008-04-21, 03:12 PM
I just don't see the point of getting all frustrated about someone postingt a V's gender thread. Who cares if someone is wrong on the internet?
Duh. We are forum poster. We don't have a life, don't you know?

Laurentio

Niknokitueu
2008-04-21, 03:46 PM
Duh. We are forum poster. We don't have a life, don't you know?

Laurentio
I have a life!

I keep it in a magic jar under my bed... :smallbiggrin:

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Paladin29
2008-04-21, 05:50 PM
I have a life!

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

oooh, I want one of those too :smallbiggrin:

some_other_dave
2008-04-21, 06:20 PM
A life? Cool--where can I download one of those???

-soD

Eita
2008-04-21, 06:28 PM
Only junkware sites have those anymore. You can get Life 2.0, also known as Second Life though. But, if you want Life 3.0, you'll have to keep your eyes open. I hear development stalled though. Might be worth looking for it on a vaporware site.

Deme
2008-04-21, 06:43 PM
I have a life, too....It happens to be hidden away, so I can be immortal. I will only die if someone finds it and destroys it. My cunning use of a duck as a component of the hiding place will keep it safe forever.

I think we either may or may not see V's gender. I consider it interesting, but somewhat irrelevant. I say this despite liking V a lot.

someonenonotyou
2008-04-21, 09:01 PM
hey i have a life plundering and pillaging and other piratey stuff... oh you mean in real life the world outside the puter nope not got one of those

Icewalker
2008-04-21, 09:03 PM
*commits seppuku*

All bad...

I think there need to be a clear note somewhere "if you think you figured out V's gender, you didn't figure out V's gender."

Or a stickied thread for it, although that doesn't seem to work for new people in the friendly banter section.

It should probably just be a little note in the rules.

Stormpax
2008-04-21, 09:06 PM
I have a life!

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Don't we all:smallbiggrin:

Lerky
2008-04-21, 09:48 PM
actually this is believable. I was thinking "oh great another fan who thinks just because a character in OOTS called V a s/he mean that V is a s/he, well I guess I should torument them of their itelligence being that of a kobold :smallamused:." But I actually believe this, I'm gonna tell my friends so we can debate it!:smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-21, 10:17 PM
*facepalm* :smallsigh: Such threads are why I can't convince Slightly Evil to post more.

curtis
2008-04-22, 09:39 AM
Just a thought,

IF V's gender can be proved by something in the comic, than V is male. V's gender wasn't originally ambiguous (I think), so we should use the first reference (V-man, comic 9).

I think it would be funny If we find V's mate's gender, and then we fing out V is gay.

Personally, I think V is female.

Paladin29
2008-04-22, 12:31 PM
Just a thought,

IF V's gender can be proved by something in the comic, than V is male. V's gender wasn't originally ambiguous (I think), so we should use the first reference (V-man, comic 9).

I think it would be funny If we find V's mate's gender, and then we fing out V is gay.

Personally, I think V is female.

I agree, the only thing that we know for sure is that the Vīs gender joke was developed later than the begin of the comic, and in the beginning Roy treat V as a male. However now... who knows?... I like the identical Vīs twin ninjas theory, :smalltongue:

Crispy SpThief
2008-04-22, 11:11 PM
Gender? GENDER? V don't need no steenkenn gender!

.. Sorry, it had to be done. bu seriously, the fun of V is seeign all the different jokes one can make. So enjoy the ambiguity. :3

Turcano
2008-04-22, 11:39 PM
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/6616/worfnotagaintk3.gif

Nychta
2008-04-23, 01:06 AM
Wait! I had an idea!

Okay, so every time a "V's Gender" thread pops up, a lot of people want to say "No, you've got it wrong, you haven't actually found out." Someone here already suggested a clear note with this message on it.
However, if we can't have that note, we should designate one someone who can simply post and say (for all of us who would say "No, you've got it wrong, you haven't actually found out") "I carry the weight of x opinions, we just don't want to cram the forums saying the same thing over."

Did...did that make any sense?

Laurentio
2008-04-23, 02:39 AM
Did...did that make any sense?
I don't understand why you spoilered it, but ok. You carry the burden of my opinion. Go!

Laurentio

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-23, 05:33 AM
You have my opinion, and the opinion of my split personality. I don't let her out much; she's a major troll, so that should count as at least another half.

Kish
2008-04-23, 06:15 AM
You're saying, Vaarsuvius not getting Haley's jab about Roy's "time of the month" proves Vaarsuvius is male.

Hands up, any posters with XY chromosome structures who didn't get the reference (and who attribute this to their chromosome structures, rather than to, say, English as a second language).

Paladin29
2008-04-23, 06:36 AM
well. I am a male and english is my second language and I get the reference...i agree, that is not a reason to think V is a male.

Khanderas
2008-04-23, 06:48 AM
You're saying, Vaarsuvius not getting Haley's jab about Roy's "time of the month" proves Vaarsuvius is male.

Hands up, any posters with XY chromosome structures who didn't get the reference (and who attribute this to their chromosome structures, rather than to, say, English as a second language).
Im a XY enabled humanoid, I understood the reference and have known about said issue since I was like 8 years old.

V don't get it because it is funny.
V also dont get it because it is funny for the Giant to play with ambiguity (sp)
V is also an Elf, and that species may or may not have PMS whatsoever (heck they may not even have the monthly bleeds at all. As far as I know only human women do in the animal kingdom. Frankly, biologically, it seems like a waste to me, I'm sure the women agree).

Underground
2008-04-23, 09:30 AM
V didn't recognized Roy's chance of sex, Roy had a chance for having sex ??? Interesting. :smalltongue:

Laurentio
2008-04-23, 10:15 AM
As far as I know only human women do in the animal kingdom. Frankly, biologically, it seems like a waste to me, I'm sure the women agree
Animals have, but there are a lot of factors that prevent an heavy blood lose like humans. And most animals keep themselves clean, for a natural instinct (you don't want to smell of blood if you are a predator, much less if you are not).

Anyway: male, english my second language, and I got that joke the first moment.

Roy had a chance for having sex ??? Interesting. :smalltongue:
Ehm... did I ever told that english is my second language?

Laurentio

Wreckingrocc
2008-04-23, 10:17 AM
Vaarsuvius.

Latin: us ending generally masculine.

Also, V has the body structure of a male. Overall, it is a box.

I thought (until I read the FAQ for GiantITP) that V was unquestionably a male, he was just constantly being made fun of for being extremely effeminate. I didn't actually think they didn't know. I personally would find it funnier if he was declared an effeminate male right at the beginning. It's just stupid otherwise.

monty
2008-04-23, 11:32 PM
Vaarsuvius.

I thought (until I read the FAQ for GiantITP) that V was unquestionably a male, he was just constantly being made fun of for being extremely effeminate. I didn't actually think they didn't know. I personally would find it funnier if he was declared an effeminate male right at the beginning. It's just stupid otherwise.

What is this "Latin" you speak of?

And it may have been funnier from the start, but there's no way to know what the general readership would think about that. At this point, it's become such a running joke that divulging that information would completely ruin it.

Maybe making the FAQ's more prominent (and updating them once in a while) would help deter threads like this. Alternately, have some kind of test to register for the forum, with questions like "What is V's gender?" and "What is the MitD?" with the correct answer to both being "I don't know."

archon_huskie
2008-04-24, 03:19 PM
Vaarsuvius.

Yes, what is this Latin you speak of?

Wouldn't V have a elvish ending, just like Durkon has a Dwarf ending, Belkar has a Halfing ending, and Elan, Roy, and Haley all have Common endings?

bolczan
2008-04-25, 06:58 AM
V is shemale...:smallsigh:

Neopolis
2008-04-25, 10:07 AM
Has anybody figured out Elan's gender?

Shas aia Toriia
2008-04-25, 10:10 AM
Has anybody figured out Elan's gender?

A jest, right?
He's a guy. . .

VForVaarsuvius
2008-04-25, 10:53 AM
I don't get why people keep guessing, even. Rich specifically said he would never reveal the truth. Not 'It's hidden cleverly and only the smartest will find it'.

\V/

AtomicKitKat
2008-04-25, 11:49 AM
He said that, but back in the old forums, it was frequently linked to the thread on strip #9 where someone called something-"Squirrel" I think, questioned Roy's statement, based on their own preconception that V was female.

Jawsh
2008-04-25, 03:00 PM
Varsuvius is male. While there is no absolutely compelling evidence, and there are little midleading bits here and there, I'd say the weight of the evidence falls on the male side.

Now some say it ruins the joke if you finally decide one way or another which gender Varsuvius actually is. Well, that doesn't make much sense. Jokes that are used over and over again tend to get stale. In Mr. Burlew's case though, if he's as skilled a writer as we have come to know him to be, then he can indeed make limited use of this joke in various contexts, keeping it fresh enough to be funny. And then the fact remains that it doesn't really make a difference if some of the readers "know" V's gender.

As to speculation though, I don't see why there should be a problem with that. Just because you've already discussed it to death doesn't mean someone else might not want to. Besides, there actually is a possibility that someone will notice something no one else did.

David Argall
2008-04-25, 03:26 PM
Now one of the arguments for V being male is form. Just to weaken that a bit, I will note that Miko, and some other females, have at least one male form feature, a square rear.

If you check Roy when he becomes she at the inn, you note his square hips become rounded. Looking around, you will find most male hips are shown as a box while the ladies are round. However, there are several exceptions to this, including Miko.

So we have some doubt cast on V's form being proof of the male sex.

Xeava
2008-05-02, 08:30 PM
Oh dear.

does it really matter what gender V is?

Part of what makes his character interesting and funny is the constant hints and jokes about him / her.

streakster
2008-05-02, 08:34 PM
Blargh. Can we steal the internal organs of people who post V's gender threads too?

MeTheGameGuy
2008-05-02, 08:59 PM
Blargh. Can we steal the internal organs of people who post V's gender threads too?

Certainly. I'll take a kidney.

streakster
2008-05-02, 09:08 PM
Then I will take the metatarsals.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-02, 09:14 PM
Spine please

Sonar009
2008-05-02, 10:15 PM
No you didn't. If you do and it's supposedly correct, Rich will sense it and change it. He will then sense that I made this comment, changing it back to male. Ect.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-05-03, 02:32 PM
I'll take whatever organ lets your avatar breathe fire like that.

FrankNorman
2008-05-03, 04:12 PM
Here's a suggestion:
If we are going to pretend that there IS a correct answer to the question, let's be scientific about it...
What does a male elf look like?
What does a female elf look like?
Which one does V look like?

Make sense?
Now I think there's a female Drow (white hair, pointy ears and grey skin) in THIS episode (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html)
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html

That's the same species as Elf, right? Just a different race?
I think in so far as the comic has given us hard evidence, that's all we got...
I don't recall any other Elvenkind characters so far besides V, Zz-whatever, and Evil-Adventurer-Drowgirl.

Oh, and Pompey, who I think we can all agree is male, but then he's a hybrid.

Kato
2008-05-03, 04:22 PM
I claim his eyes!
(mine are getting worse from sitting to close to my monitor)

Maybe some should hint, there's an OFFICIAL thread for V's gender discussion...

lord of kobolds
2008-05-03, 04:40 PM
Spleen!!!!!!!

Trizap
2008-05-03, 04:41 PM
*takes his nose*

AyuVince
2008-05-03, 04:47 PM
Why DO these threads pop up again and again?

"V is male/female, I know for sure!"

"Miko will return! Miko is great! I saw Miko sell burgers at McDonalds! etc etc"

"Haley is a lesbian and I can prove it, because I read The Giant's mind!"

"Hinjo/O-chul/MitD/Thog will join the OotS and possibly replace Roy!"

Seriously, people... that's even worse than all the number crunching ("what level must monster X have to perform that kind of action?").

TigerHunter
2008-05-03, 05:02 PM
I claim his eyes!
Curses!

*takes remaining kidney, sells*

I don't recall any other Elvenkind characters so far besides V, Zz-whatever, and Evil-Adventurer-Drowgirl.

Oh, and Pompey, who I think we can all agree is male, but then he's a hybrid.
Lirian.

TFT
2008-05-03, 06:00 PM
I guess ill take his big toes

*takes*

OverWilliam
2008-05-03, 06:04 PM
I claim fingernail clippings. Maybe we can cast True Resurrection later and do it all over again. :smallbiggrin:

Studoku
2008-05-03, 08:37 PM
I'll harvest whatever causes the flaming burp.

The true res thing is inneicient since we'd need 20k of diamonds. It'd be cheaper to buy blackmarket organs. Less fun though.

Teron
2008-05-04, 01:32 AM
Because the original poster's reasoning is terrible, I'll take his nails, minus what OverWilliam clipped.

Say, does anyone know how to go about assembling these into a seaworthy ship? I've got a deadline to keep and a bunch of really big guys breathing down my neck.

Warning: serious argument ahead

First point: Mr. Burlew did not intend Vaarsuvius's gender to be ambiguous.

Second point: Male elves are stereotypically androgynous, while female elves are stereotypically gorgeous (if you're into girls that skinny).

Third point: Vaarsuvius is androgynous but lacks the breasts discernable on every female character, including the robed ones.

Conclusion: If Vaarsuvius had been meant to be female, she would have been unambiguously so, and that means having breasts. As they are Mr. Burlew's primary means of identifying women (even more so in the simpler style of the older comics), there is no reason for Vaarsuvius to break this rule. Ergo, Vaarsuvius was meant to be male.

Addendum: "Ruining" the joke and contradicting some fans' beliefs would upset more people than leaving it a mystery, so a mystery it shall likely remain. That makes the above largely inconsequential, but no less true.

Jayngfet
2008-05-04, 01:34 AM
pectorals are mine!

Caractacus
2008-05-04, 04:39 AM
According to the rules of 'organ harvesting', one can harvest non-organs, too.

With this possibility, I hereby harvest the OP's fingers to prevent further postings on the subject... :smalltongue:

Eric
2008-05-04, 04:55 AM
V's gender is "Elf".

V's spouse's gender is "Elf".

Heck, we've only just started to understand Spider sexual differences. How long has that taken? And how long has elven sexuality been investigated? Anout 400 strips, or thereabout.

We have a long way to go.

Eric
2008-05-04, 04:59 AM
Cut off their thumbs.

Not debilitating enough to get you sympathy (see "Coupling: The man with too many legs" for an example) but bloody awkward.

Of course, there's always "To The Pain" if you have the time.

ANBU
2008-05-04, 05:53 AM
I call lungs. If they are unavailable, I will accept the liver.

I'm going to make a stab or 20 in the general direction of V's gender and say that the word 'male' is in there somewhere, and that it also possibly has a prefix. Maybe. Probably. Definitely.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-04, 07:34 AM
ANBU : The liver is also already taken.

I haz teh solutionz!
V haz no gender!

AtomicKitKat
2008-05-04, 10:29 AM
Teron's got what I've been saying since I started posting in these "V's Gender" threads(which has been pretty much for 3 years now?). I call Pancreas. Death by diabetes!:smallbiggrin:

Sir_Dr_D
2008-05-04, 01:59 PM
Teron, those are some good points. That means that V was likely originally ment to be male.

But that likely changed after comic 10. Now V isn't male or female, and Rich doesn't likely have a gender in mind anymore. V is assexual, who's gender never will be reveled, and no clues will be given out about it. He/she simple is genderless.

Laurentio
2008-05-05, 01:44 AM
Teron, those are some good points. That means that V was likely originally ment to be male.

But that likely changed after comic 10. Now V isn't male or female, and Rich doesn't likely have a gender in mind anymore. V is assexual, who's gender never will be reveled, and no clues will be given out about it. He/she simple is genderless.
Actually, my opinion is that V is male, and that the "mystery" is just a tired pun that can't be unmasked due to foreseen reader's delusion (and flames in forum).
I could write a two long page on why I formed this opinion, but I care my beard.

Laurentio

jimpoplyr
2008-05-05, 01:57 AM
It's all rather like that theoretic physics conundrum, isn't it?
Schroedinger's CAT.
He stated that if a CAT were placed in a lead lined box with a vial of poison gas set to break when a atom given off by a rapidly decaying isotope struck a trigger, and then the box was sealed, at any point the CAT would be either alive or dead. BUT the only way to determine the state of the CAT for certain would be to open the box, thus nullifying the experiment. Therefor the CAT exists, for the experimenter, in BOTH states, equally alive OR dead.
Well, it's the same thing here, isn't it? We can't tell what V's "CAT" (gender) is without spoiling the joke.
However... if you change CAT to one of it's synonyms; you'll find another joke, and perhaps an answer!

Forum Staff
2008-05-05, 05:47 AM