PDA

View Full Version : And then a Meteor fell out of the sky.

Pages : [1] 2

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-21, 01:08 AM
It was just another day at the Sigil Prep school of Arcane Learning and "Practical Kingdom Support" (By which the school meant, shirking any Kingly required duties it could) for Rayman Evilwizardington (the Comedy Relief) when he heard a soft whisper in his ear, "Boss, Some lady showed up and walked right into your room. I can't get-"

After hearing the message, Rayman decided to cut across the courtyard he normally avoided, the combat field. Over a thousand square yards, it sat right in the middle of the university and forced long walks for those not capable of instantaneous travel and not willing to brave it's accidental dangers.

But today he was being railroaded by the DM.

He was about a third of the way across when **** hit the fan. A big demon with a sword of fire and a whip appeared right in front of him, bleeding from several wounds.

Roll Initative you two. Oh, and Knowledge checks to identify the Balor.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-21, 01:14 AM
Why are my rolls not working?

[roll0]
[roll1]

Stupid forum:

I used my own dice.
Init 25 and 21 are important. Try not to do anything to final before then ay?

Solo
2008-04-21, 01:23 AM
Initiative:[roll0]

K the Planes:[roll1]

Hi, my name is Rayman. I'm here to help. You are in the wrong place, by which I mean you are directly in front of me, impeding my way to my chambers, wherein waits a lady for me. Please take a 5 foot step to the right. Thank you, and have a nice day. There will be a cleric somewhere on the combat field to service your wounds.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-21, 01:39 AM
Well I have some bad news. You are about to be caught in my Death Throes. But afterward, could you do me a favor and keep track of my Sword? It's more important then your life.

Suddenly a glowing Angel appears nearby. The Balor, who had been shifting around looking in every direction, swings his sword, biting into the Angel.

Knowledge the Planes for the Solar. And DC 27 Spellcraft for the Appearing.

Go Solo and "others" if present.

Solo
2008-04-21, 01:42 AM
K planes [roll0]

Hold on! You can't fight here! This is the combat field!

Rayman waves his arms and tries to stop the impending conflict. He wondered what spells he could cast that were not nasty and deadly, as he had no intention of harming an Angel, and didn't want to try and kill a pissed off looking demon, but then it struck him: How could he be out of options when he had a Rod of Wonder with him?

He pointed it at the ground beneath the two and activated the item.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-21, 02:06 AM
As Rayman activates his Rod, nothing at all happens.

The Angel on the other hand responds to the Demon's attack. Releasing a barrage of blows, and finishing with a Bang as the Demon explodes, killing the Solar and many of those surrounding the fight.

The people present for the fight should know roll Reflex saves, DC 30 for 50 damage. 100 Otherwise.

Solo
2008-04-21, 07:14 AM
Well.... thanks Rod.

Rayman uses Wings of Cover to grant him a +2 to reflex saves as an Immediate action, then uses another immediate action to use Ruin Delver's Fortune, giving him a total of +10 to his reflex saves and the evasion ability.

Ref. save: [roll0]
Never mind, you can't do that. I'll just cast RDF.

Hm. Stupid exploding demons.... can I get a healer over here?

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-21, 08:08 AM
No one comes to Rayman's call. Apparently everyone is very much busy with the dead. Those that aren't leaving in panic.

Where the Demon was, there is now a simple, but very shiny sword.

Solo
2008-04-21, 01:08 PM
I did not get tenure just to be ignored like this, he grumbles as he makes his way over to the sword.

Well, looks like I'm supposed to take care of this puppy. Pity I'd probably cut my own hand off with it if I tried to use it though....

Cast Detect Magic on it. If you wish, you can roll the spellcraft for me to speed up the process.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-21, 01:21 PM
You detect a strong aura of whatever a +1 Vorpal Sword shows. You know, the kind every boring not special Balor has. You don't know this of course, because you have crappy Knowledge The Planes rolls.

Within a couple rounds. Another Solar appears. She looks around. and sighs at the destruction. She begins pulling out giant handfuls of Diamond Dust and razing the dead, who may or may not include a party member who has not posted yet.

Afterwards if uninterrupted (Unlikely, Rayman is a talkative fellow), she casts a Sending and reports back to someone.

AmberVael
2008-04-21, 01:38 PM
((*thumb twiddle*))

Solo
2008-04-21, 01:55 PM
You detect a strong aura of whatever a +1 Vorpal Sword shows. You know, the kind every boring not special Balor has. You don't know this of course, because you have crappy Knowledge The Planes rolls.

Within a couple rounds. Another Solar appears. She looks around. and sighs at the destruction. She begins pulling out giant handfuls of Diamond Dust and razing the dead, who may or may not include a party member who has not posted yet.

Afterwards if uninterrupted (Unlikely, Rayman is a talkative fellow), she casts a Sending and reports back to someone.

Excuse me, excuse me... but would you happen to know what the hell that was about?

Also, if I may beseech you a favor... when you're done bringing the dead back to life, could you toss a healing spell my way? My eyebrows are conspicuously absent after that fireworks display just now.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-21, 02:20 PM
Yes, my talents exist solely to solve your problems human. As for what it is about, I have no authority to tell you that.

He then heals you and reports to someone before teleporting away.

It is not here. I doubt he could have taken it back with him, I will explore his other known locations.

Solo
2008-04-21, 02:48 PM
Well... Thanks.

He wonders briefly what the Solar was talking about before turning ot the students on the field to inspect them.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-21, 02:53 PM
Bad Solo. It doesn't do any good to try to speed thing up when half the people haven't posted. None of those people are there, except the Warmage which may or may not have died, not that it matters because it was True Res used to raise everyone.

Seriously, It's been almost a say, everyone should have checked in.

AmberVael
2008-04-21, 06:16 PM
((Well it's not like you're making it simple to know where we are and what we're supposed to be doing- if we're allowed to be doing anything, that is.))

Talic
2008-04-21, 06:30 PM
A man in simple brown robes and sandals, with a small pack on his back, and a walking staff in one hand, approaches calmly from down the path. His body seems heavily weathered and scarred, making him seem almost haggard. Still, he walks with an easy step, as if the road was a friend to him.

I take it this is the demonstration area for my dissertation on Nature's Magic and You? I must say, it seems the Headmaster has something of a flair for the dramatic; I saw the blast from a half mile away.

Solo
2008-04-21, 06:35 PM
I take it you where there when he had bears with lasers perform at the football game.

However, as much as it is in his character, that was not a school sponsored event, but more in line with the death throes of a demon as it attempted to kill an angel, resulting in the destruction of the field and my eyebrows.

Here, get on with you're dissertation. I'll remove the sword Rayman said, pulling the weapon out of the ground, And probably will have to start investigating what the hell just happened. Good luck.

Talic
2008-04-21, 07:21 PM
Oh, no, the dissertation's not until tomorrow, I believe. I figured his schedule must have been too busy tomorrow to provide an area.

Still, if this wasn't intentional... Plant Growth!

(Keeping comfortable paths on all routes that look well travelled, that should completely cover any area of the Balor's destruction. Of course, any routes through this part of the courtyard that aren't travelled will become very heavily overgrown. Eh, nice scenery, and something for the groundskeepers to prune. Diameter of effect: 693.3 yards, or a good chunk of courtyard. Exclude any areas that travel out of the balor's explosion area.)

Pink
2008-04-21, 11:22 PM
Serena

"Bloody Hell...Okay, was doing okay there, sorta, right up until the great gigantic explosion up and killed me and...Ugh." Says a previously dead but now raised Elf. Standing up and dusting herself off, she looks around at the sudden crowd that stands in the previous battle ground. Though quite short and slim, she wears full battle armor with a longsword strapped to her back. Her silver hair is cut in a military short style and she seems to be a no nonsense type.

"Oye, what are you fellows doing here, thought I had these training grounds booked for a good while...How long was I dead there?"

Talic
2008-04-21, 11:32 PM
Glances over at the new arrival momentarily, before returning his attention to the inspection of his new garden maze.

Don't ask me, I just got here. From the looks of the singed clothing, I'd wager he might have a better idea than I. If it was the explosion that got you, then no more than a couple minutes.

I'm sure it's safe to continue whatever it is you were training on... Combat training? Hm.

Turns attention back to the first character.

So, whereabouts can a fellow go for a bit of peace and quiet, away from the shockwaves?

Solo
2008-04-22, 12:15 AM
I go to the coffee shop myself. Then I'm going to get a Diviner to analyze the heck of the sword the demon left behind. Come along if you wish.

Rayman turns to the elf and curtsies.

And you are, of course, also invited. You could probably use a bit of a break after getting blown up by a dying demon-thingy.

Off we go to the Divination department of the school!

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-22, 12:36 AM
Once you get to the Large Lead Cylinder that makes up the Divination housing (Paranoid? Maybe.) you are greeted by the standard flunky, dressed in simple white robes.

She smiles and informs you that she can place you on the schedule, but that it will probably be a few days. At which point someone leaves the Cylinder while being yelled at by some guy inside.

Solo
2008-04-22, 12:48 AM
If you're the gorram Divination department, how come you didn't know I was going get blown up, come here to talk to someone, and make me a reservation in advance?

Turning sharply from the receptionist, he goes to the figure storming out of the Cylinder.

Excuse me, you there! Are you a Diviner, or able to cast Divination spells?

Talic
2008-04-22, 01:10 AM
You forget. They know if they handle all such requests with such efficiency, they'll be swamped with work. I'm sure they foresaw it, actually. I like to think of such things as "strategic incompetence".

Pink
2008-04-22, 08:00 AM
OOC: *cough* clearly a choose a taken text color

Serena

"Diviners wish they were that competent. Honestly, I wouldn't put too much trust in them." The elf says, combing a hand through her hair to get rid of bits of ash and small debris. Then pointing to the departing party, "There for example, if a diviner were all-knowing they would've avoided such an argument, or been able to twist it too their purpose. They may get a little warning about what's coming but sometimes they hardly know what to do with it."

AmberVael
2008-04-22, 08:37 AM
((I'm going to assume that someone is me...))

Chora
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/sjunderw/CultistL.png

Chora moves out of the cylinder with a rather serene and untroubled demeanor, despite the person yelling back at her. She looks over at Rayman as she hears his words to the woman, and then to her.
I am a diviner, yes.
She doesn't really seem to register any of the harsh words of the others, instead just giving a small smile to them.

Talic
2008-04-22, 08:55 AM
Hara-drim

*Glances at Serena*
A wise course. Never put your trust in anything that's smart enough to speak. And didn't I tell you? Cunning ones, diviners are. First, the ones in the tower feign ignorance to keep their workload light, and then this one waits to speak until we've all inserted our feet firmly in our mouths.

*Turns to Chora*
Good day, miss. I trust your argument in the tower wasn't related to something I'm going to do.

Solo
2008-04-22, 11:22 AM
We'll see, won't we, Hara?

Anyways, miss, we are currently in need of someone to diviniate the heck out of this sword an exploding demon left behind when he vaporized part of the campus because the paperwork I'm going to have to fill out will probably require it.

I don't suppose you could help us?

AmberVael
2008-04-22, 12:35 PM
Chora shakes her head at Hara, and then looks extremely interested in what Rayman asks.
That's something I can do fairly easily.
She pulls a pair of gloves out of a small pouch on her side and slips them on, then holds out her hand for the sword.
Lets try the simple thing first. What exactly do you want to know about him? I can learn quite a few things just from examining the sword... though it'll take about ten minutes.

Solo
2008-04-22, 12:46 PM
The demon? Big with wings. Red with horns. Teleported nto my way, then fought an angel who teleported in chasing after him, lost the battle, exploded, nearly killed me, and told me to keep a hold of his sword. Not necessarily in that order.

Rayman hands her the sword, showing off his non-proficiency in the weapon by nearly stabbing himself in the foot with it.

In the interest of expediency, you don't suppose we could cast Identify on it, followed by more powerful spells that would tell me why I was told to keep hold of this by the demon? I don't think demons have sentimental value for ordinary weapons, so I suspect there's something going on here...

AmberVael
2008-04-22, 01:06 PM
I can do all of that fairly easily- it'll just take a bit of time... is there anywhere quiet we can go?
It seems she's not exactly familiar with the area.
She takes the sword with a bit more ease than Rayman, but she clearly would have a hard time fighting with it as well. She weighs the sword in her hand, begin to activate the power of her gloves quietly.

OOC Mechanics
Knowledge (The Planes) Check: 1d20+19=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1574015/)
Hopefully she can identify it as being a balor, and possibly even their favored weaponry.

Just in case it could be handy, she'll do a Loremaster Lore check to see if she can recall anything about Balors and important swords:
1d20+15=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1574018/)

She has Gloves of Object Reading (as seen in the SRD here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#glovesofObjectReading) She'll use those to start figuring out the last owner.

If they find a good place, she'll use her Greater Lore ability (from Loremaster) to cast Identify on it.

Edit: Hmm. Rolls didn't work. I'll use invisible castle.
Edit 2: Wow, let the bad rolls begin.

Solo
2008-04-22, 01:10 PM
We can go to my room if you would like a quiet place to discuss matters. It's only a few buildings over. Rayman suggests.

You're all invited too, but don't expect anything fancy.

Pink
2008-04-22, 01:19 PM
Serena

"Hmmm, shame it's so large, it would easily replace this old thing I have." She says, giving a slight nod of approval to the blade, Though her own sword seems absolutely pristine, as though never used, and a spell component pouch hangs from the belt of her armor.
Looking around at the others that she's somehow found herself with as they walk towards a quieter place to look up stuff about the sword. "Thank you for the invite. I have to confess I'm very new to this place. I am Serena Cap...No, Just Serena Thiersch." She says to the others.

Talic
2008-04-22, 01:49 PM
Hara-drim

Ah, yes, I forgot. Names. Mine's Hara-drim. I've never spent the time a Surname generally entails, so I usually just go by Hara, Hey you, or bumbling oaf. Use whatever you find most convenient.

As for the offer, I must confess this intrigues me. The sword, the fireball, a missive of import from a creature of evil... I never can remember which ones are the orderly ones and which are the random ones. No matter, most likely. It's certainly on the safer side of the topsoil.

Solo
2008-04-22, 02:01 PM
And I'm Rayman Evilwizardington, instructor in the Applied Magic department, which means basically I take people on field trips so they can go kill things and solve problems with magic.

AmberVael
2008-04-22, 02:30 PM
Chora nods to Rayman's suggestion.
That would be fine. I'm Chora- I'm not actually associated with this place, I was just trying to get some information out of the diviners, but um, apparently they were insulted...
She looks down at the sword and raises an eyebrow, apparently impressed.
This is fairly magical. Has an enchantment to let it slice heads very easily. Rather gory, but effective, I'd assume.
Apparently Chora isn't too pleased with the idea of combat and death, so she swiftly changes topics.
And it already registers you as an owner... very odd. Normally you actually have to put an item to use before that occurs- but you didn't do that, did you?
The last phrase is part educated guess, part uneasy question.

Solo
2008-04-22, 02:50 PM
I nearly offed myself with it. Does that count?

Rayman comments jokingly.

So, any guesses on why I'm supposed to be in charge of the thing?

Talic
2008-04-22, 03:16 PM
That part could be any number of things. A dying wish, a horrible curse, freely given and willingly taken. Magic is a funny thing, at times. Sometimes you use it. Sometimes it uses you. As for the specifics, I gather that the expert in finding answers would invariably be better at narrowing things down than I.

Solo
2008-04-22, 03:18 PM
... Why do I feel like I am about to be screwed over by fate?

Talic
2008-04-22, 03:24 PM
My best guess? Divination has its ways for getting back at the world for giving it less followers?

Either that or you had a conversation with a demon from the pits of the hells, moments before it exploded?

AmberVael
2008-04-22, 03:29 PM
...there is one thing I know of that would explain why the demon would give away his sword.
Chora looks down at the sword very curiously and cautiously.
The more powerful demon lords don't just have their sword as a weapon, but as a piece of their soul. Given that the sword registers the demon as its creator... it is possible that it is part of his soul.
As such, one might assume that the demon knew its battle was lost, and looked for someone to keep its weapon safe.
She gently holds it back out to Rayman and raises an eyebrow, waiting for his reaction.

Solo
2008-04-22, 04:14 PM
Hm. But why would he entrust his soul to some random stranger?

Rayman stores the sword in his Haversack again. Seems kinda risky, given my propensity to Disintegrate objects, demons, and objects that belong to demons.

K. Arcana as to how to identify if the sword has a soul in it or not.
[roll0]

Well, let's talk about it over tea, he suggests, opening the door to his apartment and showing you all the couch.

Solo
2008-04-22, 04:49 PM
Now, does anyone have something along the lines of Contact other Plane we could use?

AmberVael
2008-04-22, 05:57 PM
OOC: On that thought, a knowledge arcana from Chora for the same reason is probably a good idea.
[roll0]

I have that spell, actually.
The look in Chora's eyes says that she's cast it more than once, and she knows full well the consequences of reaching too far when using it.

OOC: Though it suddenly comes to mind that I never listed down my typical prepared spells for the day... luckily it won't be an issue here since Chora has spontaneous divination

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-22, 06:05 PM
You know the same thing I told Solo, which is that if you want to find out something about the sword, use a Divination where you ask someone who would conceivably know: (IE Divination/Commune/Contact Other Plane/ect.)

OOC: Don't we all have Spontaneous Divination though? I mean, at least those of us smart enough to be Wizards instead of Sorcerers.:smallwink:

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-22, 06:52 PM
As you sit down on the couch a butterfly comes zipping out of the kitchen with a little elven child chasing it. The child seems completely oblivious to you and then does a back flip and hangs upside down looking at you.

"Oh company. Rayman, you should have told me they were coming so I could make cookies."

Cindy frowns at Raymond and then notices the sword.
"Nice sword. Where did you get it?

Solo
2008-04-22, 08:13 PM
Why the... who the... how the... what are you and what are you doing here? And how do you know my first name?

Rayman paused before paling slightly.

Don't tell me I got some girl pregnant on one of the Material Planes I visited and that you're my daughter who is also a magical prodigy? he asked, knowing full well how cliches tended to come true in his life.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-22, 08:32 PM
"Oh silly man. We had this conversation when dad dropped me off a week ago. Did you go and get drunk? Or whacked with a spell and forget?"

With that Cindy spun around so she was right side up and floated up until her head was level with everyone else while sitting cross legged in the air.

"So whats with the sword?"

Solo
2008-04-22, 08:38 PM
Hmm.... Well I did just have a demon explode next to me and it nearly killed me... that probably doesn't help my memory...

Rayman scratches his chin, pondering what else he might be forgetting.

Oh, and the exploding demon told me to take care of his sword shortly before he exploded. We think he might have a sliver of his soul in it.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-22, 08:54 PM
"Demons are no fun, they don't take jokes well and don't like flowers. An exploding demon that left behind a magic sword. Sounds like a Balor. So what do you plan on doing with the sword?"

While speaking Cindy flies closer to Rayman and peers at him intently, apparently to make sure that the exploding demon didn't do any permanent, physical damage.

[roll0]

I should identify a Balor on a natural 1.

Pink
2008-04-22, 09:43 PM
Serena

"No tea thanks, coffee if you have." Serena says, taking a seat on the couch, and then being somewhat amused as a child essentially enters into the department and seems to be getting the better of a conversation with a teacher of the academy.

Talic
2008-04-22, 09:53 PM
Hara-drim

...Cookies?

The bemused expression on Hara's face speaks volumes, but he seems to have a healthy respect for the child that's more familiar than he, on arcane subjects. Not incredibly surprising, giving the locale. Slightly surprising, considering she seems to have been here a week, and balor lore was the books she's been reading.

Oh, and Rayman... Just because the demon was random to you, does not mean you were random to it. I've long since learned to not be surprised at the staggering about of trivia about the world we live in that falls into the hands of those creatures that are not of it.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-22, 10:15 PM
Since Rayman seems lost in thought Cindy turns to the rest and says "I'm Cindy. Who are all of you and what do you have to do with this incident? As for coffee, 1 second."

Cindy mutters a few words and waves a hand then concentrates on a cup of tea. The cup lifts up and floats over to Serena.

"There you go, let me know if it gets cold or you want it flavored differently."

Cindy casts Prestidigitation and changes the flavor of the cup of tea to that of coffee and then floats it over to Serena

Talic
2008-04-22, 10:30 PM
Direct. I like that. What do I have to do with it? Hm, nothing, I suppose. I came upon the blast a bit too late to help the injured, and just in time to follow Rayman on a guided tour. I must say though, haven't seen anything quite so...interesting, in a while.

OOC: Was that Polymorph Any Object on a cup of tea!? Faster than you can say, "Abuse of arcane power for convenience..." lol.

Solo
2008-04-22, 10:35 PM
Oh, and Rayman... Just because the demon was random to you, does not mean you were random to it. I've long since learned to not be surprised at the staggering about of trivia about the world we live in that falls into the hands of those creatures that are not of it.

But that just makes it less likely it'd choose me... I usually hate demons... unless this is some sort of ridiculously circuitous plan... which it usually is when it comes to Outsiders....

Rayman retreats into the refuge of confused silence, placing the sword on his coffee table and waiting respectfully for the Loremistress to cast her spell.

Solo
2008-04-23, 01:20 AM
So, what's your life story again, Cindy? Rayman asks. And did I ever tell you mine?

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-23, 01:27 AM
"Life story? I was born 6 years ago, my dad raised me and I have no idea who my mom is. About a year ago Dad got tired of raising and teaching me so he used one of his more powerful spells to give me most of his knowledge and experience. Dad went off adventuring a week ago and left me with you. He said you were a descendant of and old friend of his and that it would be a good experience to spend some time with you. He dropped me off, told you to look after me, and left."

Cindy's tone seemed to indicate that she was a bit miffed at her father but she shrugged and continued. "So whats your life story?"

Solo
2008-04-23, 01:41 AM
Ah... that helps.

Well, let's see... for me... I was a sorcerer from the moment I was born, born to a sorcerer father and a wizard mother.

I started adventuring when I was 15 years old and I took part in the establishment of a "world order", an alliance of sorts amongst most of the nations of the world I was from, dedicated to upholding the law and justice.

The Order got it's power from the nations that joined it, so... it was too dependent on it's constituency for power. What did it matter to them if a member nation was harsh and cruel on its citizens if that nation would help seal away some long forgotten god of dark and terrible power?

So I resigned, told them to go engage in intimate bodily functions with themselves and several relatives, and started to do my own thing, helping out the little guy.

The higher ups didn't take it too well, and I eventually had to planeshift out of there cause of all the hit squads on my back - after causing the more unpleasant members of the alliance a good amount of grief and leaving behind several rebel groups.

I spend a year wandering the planes before ending up in Sigal, decided I could stand some schooling at the college, and eventually wound up employed by the college to help students kick ass and take names in the real world.

For some reason, the worlds I take my students to seem to expereince an upsurge int eh amount of sorcerers and rebellions shortly after I arrive. By pure coincidence, I'm sure.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-23, 02:02 AM
"Oh, that sounds like fun. I've only had 1 hit squad sent after me. Something about the High Priest of Wee Jas not liking spending life as a fluffy pink bunny. I thought she was a bit too vain and could use a lesson in humility, besides I wanted a fluffy pink bunny for a pet. She apparently disagreed."

Talic
2008-04-23, 02:20 AM
Hara-drim

Hit... squads? Can't say I've ever been singled out for death. Most of the things that have come for me have done so out of hunger or convenience. I can see how turning things into rabbits would teach them humility, though; I've never seen someone quite so humbled as when they must eat their food twice.

AmberVael
2008-04-23, 07:04 AM
Chora listens quietly to them all, not offering to speak, or seeming interested in turning the conversation aside.

Talic
2008-04-23, 10:04 AM
Hara-Drim

*Turning to Chora*

And yourself, miss? What might your story be?

Solo
2008-04-23, 12:03 PM
And if I may ask, could you cast the spell either before or after the story?

Commune, Contact other Plane, or whatever you deem most appropriate.

AmberVael
2008-04-23, 09:31 PM
Chora blinks at Hara and seizes on Rayman's request so she can ignore the question about her past.
I'll do as best as I can.
She lets out a breath and then concentrates, thinking... then slowly begins working the spell, attempting to contact an outer plane and an intermediate deity therein.

Intelligence DC 14.
Roll: 1d20+9=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1575084/)
I could have probably contacted a greater deity, but it seemed too risky- I didn't want to be out of commission for five weeks.

Repost and addition:

Chora finishes her spell and looks up at the three, putting a hand to her head as if exhausted, or perhaps experiencing a migraine.
Well, I learned a little...
The demon's name was Thyrn Arder'g, and he was a demon prince. The sword is indeed tied to his soul as I suspected.
As for why we have the sword... or you, Rayman... I got frustratingly few details. You were chosen at random, Thryn doesn't intend to use the sword to revive himself, or for the sword to be destroyed, or for you to give the sword to someone else. When I asked straight out why you were supposed to have it, I received no answer as it was too complex a question for even a short phrase or hint.
She sighs, but gives a small smile.
However, we do know his name, and we know he is powerful. Contacting planar entities may be unreliable, but knowing his name and status will allow me to use more thorough divination in understanding him and his motives.

Solo
2008-04-23, 09:45 PM
Ah, excellent work, Chlora!

Thyrn Arder'g... hmm.... we'll definately need some follow up to see what he's involved in. Do you suppose Legend Lore would be useful, or should we go find a bard?

AmberVael
2008-04-23, 09:57 PM
Chora snorts in disgust.
We don't need a fairy tale spinner to give us information. I've studied such topics for quite a long time. Give me a minute to think over things and possibly cast a spell and I'll tell you whatever you need to know.

Knowledge (The Planes) Check to see if she knows the name:1d20+19=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1575704/)
Loremaster Lore: 1d20+15=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1575704/)

Edit: Board roller failed... again. :smallsigh:
Ugh. Invisible castle did too, just in its own fashion. :smallyuk:

Solo
2008-04-23, 10:10 PM
So what do I need to know?

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-23, 10:14 PM
Hmm, Thyrn Arder'g... I remember the name. Let me think about it a bit. If you want I could try a few divinations as well. But with the information at hand, legend lore would take several weeks to use.

Knowledge: The Planes [roll0]
Knowledge: Arcana [roll1]
Knowledge: History [roll2]
Knowledge: Religion [roll3]

All rolls take into account my familiar using Aid Another for a +2 bonus to my check, he auto succeeds on the DC 10 check.

Solo
2008-04-23, 10:16 PM
You're wonderful, Cindy. Have I told you that before?

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-23, 10:23 PM
Upon hearing Rayman's comment Cindy seems to brighten up and says, in a chipper voice, "Nope.". As she says it little multicolored fire works go off in the air.

Fireworks are caused by prestidigitation. Which Cindy uses to make random effects and punctuate her words when she has it activated.

Solo
2008-04-23, 10:32 PM
Hm. Well, I should have.

So, does the name ring a bell?

Current Party Count:

Cindy
Raymond/Rayman
Hara
Serena
Chora

AmberVael
2008-04-23, 11:04 PM
Chora smiles a little thinly at the girl, vaguely irritated that she seems to be simply taking over what she had seen as her area of expertise.
Well, it seems you have someone to do the work you need. Perhaps I had best get back to my business.
She stands up, taking her staff.

Solo
2008-04-23, 11:12 PM
Surely you'll stay a little longer? You can't possibly tell me you don't find this something interesting and worth of further investigation?

Come now. We were getting along so well, too. Surely you won't begrudge your friends a few more moments of your time? If you have business that needs attending to, I'm sure we could help afterwards.

Rayman offers gently, sensing a bit of tension in the air.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-23, 11:23 PM
Cindy laughs at Chora's comment and says "Haha, nope. While I can cast divinations it is not an area that I am especially interested in or skilled in. And I was asking if you would like me to help, so that you can save some of your magic for later."

AmberVael
2008-04-23, 11:44 PM
Chrora glances at Rayman and moves her eyes to Cindy after the first phrase.
I don't need your assistance... and incidentally, if you do want to cast a spell to learn the lore of the demon, I would advise directing it at the sword, since it is on hand. You wouldn't have to wait the weeks you would otherwise need to spend.
Chora smirks a little, holding out her hand for the sword again.
Perhaps I should oblige? I do seem to grasp how the spell should be used a bit better...
While apparently nice and informative before, a rather vindictive and belittling side to her seems to have been awakened.

Solo
2008-04-23, 11:47 PM
In....deed.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-24, 12:00 AM
Cindy seems completely oblivious to Chora's change in attitude and seems completly serious when she says "Good point, I'll remember it in the future.
With a wave of her hand at the sword still sitting on the table Cindy continues, Cast away."

AmberVael
2008-04-24, 12:04 AM
Chora takes up the sword and focuses on it, starting to cast Legend Lore.

Time: 1d4=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1575793/)*10
30 minute casting time.

Talic
2008-04-24, 12:07 AM
Indeed, I never cease to be fascinated with your breadth of expertise in your art... Just as I feel that I shall soon be unable to be surprised by the breadth of Cindy's studies.

I'm not entirely sure why we need to be poking around so much in the affeirs of demons, or why we can't just let things happen. Still, you all seem to know something I don't, so I'll defer to your judgement in how thoroughly we should look into Thyrn's affairs.

With that, Hara leans against the wall, and begins observing, again, intent, as if pondering something just beyond his grasp.

AmberVael
2008-04-24, 12:11 AM
Knowledge is power. The more that is known about this the better it can be dealt with. Even if these truths are terrible and horrible to fathom, knowing them is better than being left in ignorance.
Chora says, her eyes completely focused on the sword.

Solo
2008-04-24, 12:13 AM
While it would be smarter to leave it alone, it is certainly far more interesting to investigate and do something.

Also, I need to figure out what to do with the sword, and I'm sure handling it improperly is going to get a demon on my case for the next few hundred years... and really, who wants that?

Talic
2008-04-24, 12:42 AM
Ah, I see. I've never felt the need to deal with the problems of the world. It's been here for some time, I guess I've never seen myself as something to create change. It's certainly something to... think over.

Still, I must admit, curiosity is a powerful lure. There are countless examples of things that use it to draw in prey. If something is drawing us in, it is only right that there are more here, to better deal with it.

Besides, I've always been interested in any who can tap into the primal energies of the world, to do what needs doing... And you certainly seem better than any I've seen in your area. You have your role, and I have mine. Right now, my role seems to be to lie towards finding out Cindy's secret for coffee. It smells... Amazing.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-24, 09:32 PM
"Hmm, well I can't remember anything about Thyrn Arder'g, besides the fact that he is a Balor and one of the hundred or so most important demon princes. Although I might remember more later, or be able to confirm some things. But it looks like were just going to have to wait for the divinations to be finished.

Cindy brightens up all of the sudden and says So who wants to play tag while we wait?"

AmberVael
2008-04-24, 09:47 PM
Chora keeps concentrating on the sword, her expression clouded and almost... unnatural. One would be hard pressed to say why though- close examination reveals that she's just frowning and staring at the sword.

Solo
2008-04-24, 10:31 PM
"Hmm, well I can't remember anything about Thyrn Arder'g, besides the fact that he is a Balor and one of the hundred or so most important demon princes. Although I might remember more later, or be able to confirm some things. But it looks like were just going to have to wait for the divinations to be finished.

Cindy brightens up all of the sudden and says So who wants to play tag while we wait?"

Rayman reaches over and casts Arcane Mark on Cindy.

Tag!

Talic
2008-04-24, 10:45 PM
Hara-drim patiently watches Chora, brow furrowed slightly, as if pndering something.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-24, 10:46 PM
As Rayman goes to tap Cindy she blinks out and reappears 5 feet away.

"Almost, but not quite."

Cindy then darts in to attempt to tap Rayman on the nose before darting away.

Displacement and Greater Blink are up, providing a 75% miss chance. Cindy also has a 90 foot fly speed (haste is up).

Solo
2008-04-25, 12:54 AM
Cindy manages to beat Rayman's AC and taps him on the nose.

As "It", Rayman has the following properties:

1. "It". When Rayman makes a successful melee touch attack against someone, that person is now considered "It" until he successfully conducts a melee touch attack against someone else.

Oh, getting tricky, are we?

Rayman mentally checked his spells. While he could spend about ten seconds casting True Seeing, then Dimension Anchor, something told him he was perhaps better off with a more mundane solution.

Attack: Miss: [roll1]
Attack[roll]1d20+3[ Miss: [roll2]

Solo
2008-04-25, 12:55 AM
Last one didn't come through, but it failed to pass the 75 mark, and the one that passed didn't hit... Curses!

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-25, 01:06 AM
As Cindy is backing away from Rayman after tapping him on the nose, he attempts to tag her backs but she dodges to the side just a bit too quickly for him.

As Cindy is flying away she says "Almost got me that time, but your still it."

With a small popping noise Cindy disappears and reappears about 2 feet behind Rayman.

"Try again. Catch me and I'll bake some cookies."

Move action to back up, Standard action to use Dimension Jumper.

Solo
2008-04-25, 01:20 AM
Then let's see how you deal with... the PLUNGER!

Rayman draws a pair of plungers from out of nowhere and throws it at Cindy.

Attack: [roll0]
Miss: [roll1]

Attack: [roll2]
Miss: [roll3]

...Quite well, apparently.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-25, 01:28 AM
Cindy laughs as the plungers miss.

"Your plumbing not that great? I didn't think you were that old."

Cindy flys up and floats upside down, face to face, about 3 feet infront of Rayman.

Solo
2008-04-25, 01:32 AM
Rayman jumps up to tag her, misses, and lands on Hara.

Okay, guess it's your turn now!

Talic
2008-04-25, 01:43 AM
Hara sputters momentarily, then smiles, slightly mischeviously. In the blink of an eye, winds swirl around him, and his form blurs until it becomes nothing more substantial than air. The air form streaks across the room, straight for Cindy, a wispy voice barely audible, the only discernable word being:
"cookies".

OOC mechanics:Wildshape, swift action, Large air elemental. Move to 10 feet from cindy, attempting a melee touch attack:

[roll0]

If a hit, continues with flyby attack out the window, into the open courtyard...

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-25, 01:45 AM
[roll0]

Remember Miss Chance

Cindy laughs again as Hara flies past her, about 2 feet too the right and goes out the window.

"Maybe next time."

Talic
2008-04-25, 01:52 AM
And the swirling ball of air darts back through the window streaking past again...

Melee touch:
[roll0]
Concealment: [roll1]
(1-75 misses)

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-25, 01:56 AM
This time Hara zips by about 2 feet to the left of Cindy.

"Those cookies seem to be a bit out of your reach."

While speaking Cindy zips off and hides behind Rayman.

Talic
2008-04-25, 04:25 AM
And, like the wind, the wind flies in again!

Touch on Cindy:
[roll0]
Conceal (76-100 hits): [roll1]

AmberVael
2008-04-26, 11:39 AM
Chora finally sets down the sword and looks up at the others.
I've finished, if anyone is interested.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-26, 11:42 AM
Cindy pops back to her original position by the coffee table and assumes the same position she was in pretag.

"Of course were interested. If you would please continue."

Solo
2008-04-26, 12:41 PM
Please tell. We've been waiting.

Talic
2008-04-26, 12:54 PM
The windy torrent returns to the ground, gathering up dust. It darkens, and in a moment, the cloud has returned to flesh.

Indeed. What is it you've learned of our demonic friend?

AmberVael
2008-04-26, 01:07 PM
Well, sadly it didn't tell much. It confirmed it's owner and that again it was an extension of his soul...
However, it seems that he also is using it for another purpose. The spell indicates that there is a hidden message in the hilt about the impending doom of some mortals- quite possibly us.
Chora looks for said message.

OOC: Should I make a search check, or...?

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-26, 02:06 PM
If you want to DM so bad Solo, you can. But quit trying to do it as a PC.

It was a search check before you found out about it, now you just find the pretty little unscrewable cap.

Inside is a simple scroll, with writing that only Chora and Cindy can read:

My mission is complete, but I was discovered. They are cooperating with each other, each thinking that it will work out best for them. The 9 hells still know nothing.

I found what I believe to be an item important to their plan. I will attempt to hide it from them, but it is too large to teleport with.

If they track me I will follow your instructions and this will be all you see of me.

Solo
2008-04-26, 02:26 PM
If you want to DM so bad Solo, you can. But quit trying to do it as a PC.
It was more of a "The Ring" reference...

AmberVael
2008-04-26, 06:08 PM
Chora frowns at the message.
How unusual...
She reads it aloud to the group.

((Sorry for my delay- it didn't register that there were new posts.))

Talic
2008-04-26, 11:26 PM
So... this demon was working against its masters? And the angels discovered it? To what end?

((And no prob, I check daily, because I know the site can glitch))

AmberVael
2008-04-27, 12:19 AM
Chora just thinks quietly, not answering the question, but trying to decide what divination would best aid her in solving this mystery.

Solo
2008-04-27, 12:19 AM
More importantly, what did he hide? It must have been hidden before he teleported here, which means if we could track his teleportation history, we could discover something important to... whatever conflict is going on here.

Talic
2008-04-27, 01:05 AM
Hara

I'm not so sure that's the case. We don't need to know what it was, to know that they want to keep it out of angelic hands. We also know, that the demon had a plan, and if that plan is followed, its masters will see this note. Further, that will aid the demon in hiding something from the angels that drove it to here, and its death. The real question is, are we being manipulated into doing something for which we do not understand the consequences? And if so, do we want to do it?

Solo
2008-04-27, 01:42 AM
In other words, you want to know if it's a trap or not.

I say it's not a trap if we walk into it knowing what's going to happen. I'm for an investigation.

Talic
2008-04-27, 01:54 AM
Hara

Not a trap, precisely. I just would like to know who I'm helping before I help someone. After all, even if we come to no harm, are we doing what we want to do? Or are we being tricked into doing something we wouldn't? In my experiences with extraplanar evils, they have quite the fondness for inspiring mortals to do their dirty work.

Solo
2008-04-27, 02:01 AM
Hm.

Well, we either

1) Do nothing and let the demons and angels fight it out. Could go either way.

2) Interfere, and return the thing to the angels, which could lead to
a. Us returning something we should return to the angels, or
b. Us returning something that we shouldn't return to the angels.

Being as the thing seems to be important to both sides, I would say we should at least learn what's going on.

Talic
2008-04-27, 02:08 AM
Well, there's also:

c) unwittingly lead demons to the item, keeping it from the angels...

But at the very least, I say we should know more before we do anything TOO drastic. I think an investigation wouldn't be out of the question, as long as we actually find out what we're searching for, and how it affects everything.

Solo
2008-04-27, 02:15 AM
That's the spirit!

Talic
2008-04-27, 02:19 AM
Please, let's not even get STARTED on ghosts.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-27, 01:45 PM
Cindy is thoughtful for a bit and then says "Well I'm all for investigating, if nothing else it will let me find more pets and gain some experience.

A mischievous smile crosses Cindy's face and she continues Rayman, you should see if you can get the school to pay you to carry out the investigation."

Solo
2008-04-27, 01:57 PM
As I am part of the campus guard (provisional member, as are most people on campus who's work involves lots of combat) I can get extra for investigating why balors are exploding on campus. This is a serious campus safety issue that needs to be addressed, Rayman delivers. Good thinking, Cindy.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-27, 02:37 PM
"Well your also an instructor in the applied magic department. And since I think I count as a student, taking me with you would count as a "field trip for me to kill things and solve problem with magic". So you could get your full salary for the whole trip, and perhaps overtime and hazard pay."

Solo
2008-04-27, 02:48 PM
Hmm.. yes, and subsidies.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-27, 07:39 PM
Cindy floats up and says "Well unless anyone has any ideas about what to do I suggest that we all go our separate ways for the rest of the day, to tie up any loose ends and such, then meet back here tomorrow to plan what we are going to do and go shopping for any items that we decide to get, and head off to investigate and/or deal with this sword the day after. If we are agreed then I'll secure the sword."

As Cindy finishes speaking floats over and picks up the sword in her right hand, then she flicks her left wrist and what appears to be a 9 foot tall, muscular, emerald skinned, human with wings appears. Cindy starts speaking to it in a musical, good sounding language
(In Celestial)
"Hello Malakh. Protect this sword with your life, don't release it to anyone except me. We will talk later."
The being reaches for the sword as Cindy hands it to him and says in the same language "Your wish is as always my command, my lady. The explanation for this request will be most interesting and I look forward to it."

Cindy nods and then appears to be concentrating quite hard as the being turns to smoke and flows into Cindy's hand over the next 12 seconds.

If you make a DC 25 Knowledge: The Planes check you recognize the being as a Plantar.

AmberVael
2008-04-27, 08:21 PM
Knowledge: [roll0] (Why not?)

Chora nods to the others and stands, dusting herself off.
I will see if I can divine any more information, and will contact you on the morrow about my success. When should we meet? And we will meet here, I assume?
Apparently she missed part of what Cindy said, having been distracted by her contemplations and thoughts.

Solo
2008-04-27, 08:39 PM
.... did the six year old just... wait... I could barely lift that sword... and who was the angel?

And, er, yes, let us prepare for this undertaking and meet again tomorrow, at my place to set off.

Talic
2008-04-27, 08:55 PM
Hara:

Very well. I shall see you again tomorrow morning. If you need me before then, leave the city and go slightly north. Don't worry, I'll find you.

Leaving town, heading to forested area north of city, assuming Dire Puma form. (Source: Sandstorm). Meeting back up with animal companion.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-27, 09:08 PM
We're in Sigil, I don't really think there are any forests about. Unless one is on the grounds of Sigil Prep.

Cindy nods to everyone and says "Very well, see you all tomorrow." She then turns to Rayman and says "Malakh? Why he's my protector, friend, servant, and general handyman."

Solo
2008-04-27, 09:13 PM
We're in Sigil, I don't really think there are any forests about. Unless one is on the grounds of Sigil Prep.

The Sigal Prep Wildlife Preserve and Nature Park

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-27, 09:16 PM
The Sigal Prep Wildlife Preserve and Nature Park

One of those exists?

Talic
2008-04-27, 09:25 PM
I certainly hope so, otherwise, me and my pet are going to be lost until morning.

Solo
2008-04-27, 09:38 PM
One of those exists?

It does now

AmberVael
2008-04-28, 08:27 AM
Chora goes out into Sigil, walking around a while, humming to herself and finds a nearby, out of the way area which no one will really be watching (hopefully behind Rayman's house) then casts Evacuation Rune, placing it on a wall in the small area. After this, she swiftly moves to the other side of Sigil and finds another discreet location and casts Rope Trick.
She slips in and pulls inside the rope after her, humming softly as she thinks over everything she learned and went through today. The little song continues, deepening in complexity as she begins weaving a number of spells over herself, considering the sword and the demon, as well as how she could find what it was looking for...
Nodding to herself, she decides to contact planar entities again to try and get the answers she wants. Almost a little too eagerly she casts the spell again and again and again, reveling in the contact.

Okay, so here are the spells she casts:
Arcane Eye (which she sends just outside to help her keep track of anyone who might be coming while she's casting her spells.)
Detect Scrying.
After she finishes that, she will cast Discern Location on Malakh and Hara- if neither of these places seem suspicious, she'll cast Greater Scrying on Hara (DC 27 save) and will try to watch him for a while (possibly until he goes to sleep) before turning to her next attempt:

Contact other Plane- 12 times. Yes, twelve. Is she obsessive? Probably.
However, I'm going to list only (heh, only) 24 questions, and assume she asks each question four times (once to a different entity) in an attempt to get truthful answers, or find subjects that they know of.
She'll be contacting demi deities, so she succeeds her intelligence check even if she rolls a one, so I won't bother.

Questions:
1) What is the item that the message on the demon's sword that I just read spoke of? (She WILL quote the message if she has to get specific).

2) Where is the item that was spoken of? (Or if this is too vague for the first guy she contacts, she'll try "who possesses it," next, and then "what plane is it located on."

3) Whose plan is the item important to? (If this doesn't work, she'll ask if it was an angel's plan, and then a devil's plan).

4) Who did the demon (I don't want to look for his name...) intend to give this message to?

5) Has the item been found by anyone else yet?

6) Who did the demon think discovered his mission? (if that is too vague, she'll ask if the angel that Rayman saw discovered the plan on her next questions).

7) Will devils likely oppose us if we attempt to retrieve this item?

8) Will demons likely oppose us if we attempt to retrieve this item?

9) Will angels likely oppose us if we attempt to retrieve this item?

10) Has anyone else discovered the demon's mission?

11) Who did the demon serve? (She'll ask if he served a demon prince in her next three questions if that is too vague)

12) What was the name of the entity that appeared to be an angel that Rayman saw come after the balor?

13) Who does the above entity serve? (She'll ask if it which deity, or if it was a high ranking angel if that question is too vague)

14) Will the above entity likely object to our investigations?

15) Has anyone been secretly monitoring us since Rayman got the sword?

16) Was Cindy telling the truth about her past?

17) Was Rayman telling truth about his past?

18) Are any of the group that I met with today spies for the hells, abyss, or celestial realms? (not including the angel summoned)

19) Did Malakh report the meeting, or his keeping of the sword to his superiors (not counting Cindy)?

20) Did he speak of it to anyone else (not counting our group)?

21) Who is one non-deific entity that would know more specifics about the sword, the demon, and what he was attempting?

22) Name a second entity who qualifies for the above question.

23) Name one major entity who would likely oppose our investigation into the sword and the demon.

24) Are you going to give me up? Are you going to let me down? Are you going to run around and desert me? Are you going to make me cry? Are you going to say goodbye? Are you going to tell a lie and hurt me? :smalltongue:
(Thus, four demideities were Rick Rolled, in a fashion)

After that she'll cast another Arcane Eye to snoop around her area before going to sleep.

OOC: Sorry for the rather intensive post, Chosen. Please don't kill me for casting it twelve times. :smalleek:
It's just part of her character.... >.>

Talic
2008-04-28, 09:20 AM
Necessary Mechanics from me:Will Save: [roll0]

Edit: If there's a modifier that I'm not aware of that pushes this to failure, PM me, and I'll give a list of all my actions up until I fall asleep. DM will be copied on that list. Only thing I'm aware of that could do that is if you lifted a part of my body off of me.

AmberVael
2008-04-28, 09:41 AM
OOC: ((Nah, she hasn't lifted anything from him. He's good.))

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-29, 04:54 PM
Okay, I'm announcing a major retcon-Revive Outsider was cast on the Solar by the other Solar, totally forgot about that spell. You guys can begin the next day, I'm sending Vael her divination stuffs.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-29, 06:50 PM
After everyone else had left Cindy cast Magnificent Mansion and invited Rayman to join her inside if he was so inclined.

Inside Cindy let Malakh out and said to him "We can talk while I make cookies." While baking the cookies she explained what had happened that day to Malakh.

Once the cookies were done she cast Contact other Planes multiple times.

Casting CoP to contact a demideity (I auto succeed) 5 times with the following questions asked each time:
1. Has Chora reported her divinations to the rest of us in good faith?
2. Has Chora lied to me about any of her divinations either by omission or commission?
3. Are any of the others planning to betray us or report the swords location to someone not of our group?
4. Has anyone attempted to gain information about me with divination spells or powers in the past 24 hours?
5. Has anyone outside of our group attempted to gain information about the sword with divination spells or powers in the past 24 hours?
6. Do any angels besides Malakh know who is in possession of the sword?
7. Are any angels looking for the sword?
8. Is my father still alive?
9. Is anyone currently planning on assassinating me?

Solo
2008-04-29, 07:35 PM
Dear Lord, the organic chemistry final was tough... it took me two hours to complete, with several questions I know I got wrong, and I was out early compared to everyone else.

Rayman follows Cindy into her vastly superior living space and decided to prepare himself for tomorrow's adventure by meticulously going over his items and abilities, making sure that he can make the most of what he has. After all, for him, it was a matter of adapting the use of his spells to the situation, instead of retooling his spell list.

Satisfied that he had brought along the proper gear for the mission, including his trusty Decanter of Endless Water and the ever temperamental Rod of Wonder, he sits down on a couch and faces Cindy.

So, I guess we'll be off soon, on the path to adventure, our destination unclear and unknown to us. Any thoughts? I'm pretty sure you aren't the average 6 year old girl - heck, you might be stronger than me- so...?

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-29, 11:27 PM
After casting her divinations and baking cookies Cindy returns Malakh to storage and joins Rayman in the sitting room.

"Don't forget your underwear. But I don't really have any thoughts on this whole endeavor at the moment."

Solo
2008-04-30, 12:22 AM
Right. Change of clothing and a towel.

Talic
2008-04-30, 04:13 AM
For anyone who is actually capable of seeing Hara, or who attempts to...

You won't find him anywhere within the boundaries of the Sigil Prep Wildlife Preserve and Nature Park. However, it shouldn't be hard to draw the conclusion of my previous shapeshifting with the fact that there are two large (as in the size category Large, not as in a random descriptive term) cats in the Park, one a dire tiger, the other a dire puma. Both are curled around each other, both apparently sleeping. Close observation would note however, that for much of the time, both have their eyes open, both looking rather idly thoughtful, as cats go.

Previously, you may have seen a game of cat tag, or a game of "eat the medium sized herbivorous quadruped" that began when I found I was hungry.

Solo
2008-04-30, 08:10 PM
After tying his towel securely around his waist, Rayman decides to go over what he knows of two of his companions, namely Chora and Hara.

Hara seemed harmless but Chora -there was no better phrase for it- rubbed him a bit off.

And true to the motto of all adventurers, Rayman had decided that it would be safest to trust neither of them.

Cindy, do you mean to tell me the idea of traveling with two strangers doesn't make you feel a little... nervous?

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-30, 08:30 PM
Cindy shrugs and says "I keep up very strong magical defenses against both magical and mundane threats at all times, and I can always call out Malakh if I need to. I also regularly use various divinations to find out if anyone is planning on betraying or attacking me. And as a last resort I can always run away.

Cindy pauses for a moment before continuing So no, I don't really worry overly much about the possibility. I accept it and make plans to deal with it in the event it happens but I don't worry about it. The only reason I'm trusting you is because my father told me that I could and should, and I trust his judgment."

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-05-01, 09:15 PM
And the next morning:

Solo
2008-05-01, 09:15 PM
Sounds like a plan.

Rayman hops out of the MMM and heads to his bedroom.
Guess I'll see you tomorrow, adventuring partner.

Solo
2008-05-02, 07:36 PM
Rayman will wake up the next morning, shower, and gear up for the adventure!

And open his door to let people in, of course.

Talic
2008-05-03, 01:34 AM
Hara-drim will wake up, stretch, speak a few basic words and instrictions to Tawny (Animal Companion), and head to the edge of the Park/Preserve, traveling down the jogging trail. As he approaches the door to the building which houses Rayman's room, he returns to his normal form, calmly walking up to Rayman's room, and leans against a wall outside the door, to wait. His face seems to have a serene expression, and gives no knock to announce his presence, nor does he seem anything other than content to wait for his new companions to prepare themselves.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-03, 02:21 PM
Cindy nods to Rayman as he leaves and then puts the cookies she made in her belt before heading off to rest.

Upon awakening she casts her daily buffs and floats out to join Rayman.

"Good morning Rayman. I do hope the others are on time."

Solo
2008-05-03, 02:25 PM
We'll find out in about half an hour, won't we?

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-03, 02:35 PM
"I suppose, but I don't want to start breakfast until everyone is here. And I'm hungry right now. Care to play chess while we wait?"

Solo
2008-05-03, 02:40 PM
Sure. Let's go. Rayman responds cheerfully.

Solo
2008-05-03, 02:45 PM
Int checks:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

First ahead by 50 points wins.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-03, 02:50 PM
Cindy waits for Rayman to get out and set up the chess board and then says "You can start."

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]

Int checks:

(1d20+2)[21]
(1d20+2)[10]
(1d20+2)[4]
(1d20+2)[9]
(1d20+2)[8]
(1d20+2)[8]
(1d20+2)[3]
(1d20+2)[3]
(1d20+2)[21]
(1d20+2)[10]
(1d20+2)[15]
(1d20+2)[22]
(1d20+2)[7]
(1d20+2)[21]

First ahead by 50 points wins.

Solo
2008-05-03, 02:52 PM
I seem to have lost...

AmberVael
2008-05-03, 03:04 PM
Chora wakes up and readies herself for the day, gathering all of her belongings and tidying herself up with a prestidigitation before heading out of her rope trick and to Rayman's house. She knocks on the door.

Solo
2008-05-03, 06:27 PM
Rayman rises from the ruins of the chessboard and goes to answer the knocking.

Hello, Chora. Looks like you made it. Would you care for a cookie?

Talic
2008-05-04, 02:52 AM
Hara straightens himself out, and approaches the door.

Ready early.... My favorite character flaw. Excellent. So, how was everyone's evening?

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-04, 03:27 AM
Cindy nods to the new arrivals and says "Now that most of us are here, we can start. I suggest we head into my mansion, its more secure against eavesdropping. Breakfast should be ready in about 10 minutes and we can plan while eating."

With that comment she heads back into her mansion and releases Malakh and says to him in Celestial "Would you be so kind as to prepare breakfast Malakh?"

Malakh nods his head in ascent and says "Of course, my lady."
He then starts casting a spell and Cindy appears to be concentrating along with him.

Malakh is casting Heroe's Feast and Cindy is using CoOp Meta to extend spell it, making it last all day. Casting time is 10 minutes.

Solo
2008-05-04, 03:33 AM
That sounds delicious, Cindy. Thank you, Malakh.

Come on, let us discuss this over breakfast.

AmberVael
2008-05-04, 11:01 AM
Chora heads inside and shakes her head at Rayman.
No thank you.
She seems a little strained- more than she should for a night's rest.
I spent a long time divining to try and get us a few more facts to work with...
She swiftly heads into the mansion.
If anyone has more magic to help us evade prying eyes, I would greatly appreciate its use.

Talic
2008-05-04, 11:28 AM
Hara-drim

At this stage, I doubt we're being any more heavily watched than usual. Still, a few precautions seem common sense enough. The mansion seems a good idea.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-04, 02:20 PM
After a bit Cindy looks up and says "Breakfast is served" as a dining set fit for an emperor appears, with the table covered in a delicious looking array of breakfast foods of all types.

She turns to Malakh and says "Thank you Malakh, please join us for breakfast."

Hero's feast (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heroesFeast.htm)

[roll0] Temporary HP for everyone. And the effects last 24 hours.

Talic
2008-05-04, 02:59 PM
Hara helps himself to a selection of bacon, ham, sausage, and a few other meat selections he doesn't immediately recognize, as well as some form of fruity looking juice, as he sits, glancing over at Chora.

Additional divining, then. Interesting. Anything of note that you discovered?

Pink
2008-05-04, 03:11 PM
Serena

A knock at the door announces the arrival of the latecomer warmage, once again fully armored. She taps the toes of her boot against the floor, wondering if she really wanted to go along with such powerful mages, when all she really knew was how to use magic to kill others.

AmberVael
2008-05-04, 07:08 PM
My divinations indicate that someone has been watching us since Rayman came in contact with the sword. I would appreciate more wards against detection.
Chora says, sitting down but not touching the food just yet. It's obvious that she considers their security top priority.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-04, 07:25 PM
Cindy continues to put food on her plate as she responds to Chora's comment and says "I keep mind blank up at all times, if someone else is able to cast it I can make that casting effect the whole group. As far as I was able to ascertain no one outside this room knows where the sword is. Oh and I would appreciate it if you didn't attempt to find out information about me with divinations in the future. I will know if you attempt it and I will be displeased. Now eat, we are safe enough here and the meal will invigorate you."

AmberVael
2008-05-04, 10:30 PM
Chora smiles thinly at Cindy, her patience wearing thin.
And my divinations said someone has been watching us, so I would appreciate the protection. As for my divinations towards you, I would be a fool to simply assume that all of you could be trusted with no proof, especially in matters such as these... I make no apology, for I am only looking out for my survival.
As I am sure that all of you have been doing. If you just trusted me to tell you all the truth in this matter then I appreciate it, but honestly will have a lesser opinion of your wisdom.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-04, 10:43 PM
Cindy shrugs and says "If you want you can copy Mind Blank from my spell book, prepare it, and cast it. In which case I will be glad to make it effect everyone else in. As for using divinations against me, I did the same and found that no one has betrayed us or planned on betraying us."

Cindy notices that Chora hasn't eaten anything yet and says "And for someone who is worried about enemies you seem remarkably reluctant to accept some more protection. This feast will cure any sickness or disease you may have, immunize you against all poisons for the next day, make you fearless in the heat of battle for a like amount of time, and increase your vitality. After we are done eating, which should be in about an hour, we can worry about putting up more protections on the whole group."

Solo
2008-05-04, 11:00 PM
Why is it that all the women in my life tend to get into catfights? Rayman ponders, as he gnaws on a leg of mutton. I appreciate your concern, but you don't have to make a fuss over it. Relax. We can always ward ourselves some how.

Talic
2008-05-05, 01:16 AM
Hara-drim

Hara puts down his fork for a moment, with half a piece of some meat that he had identified only as "green" prior to tasting.

Please, try not to be overly concerned about the security that everyone has taken. Cindy, I'm sure that Chora is trying to learn more about the things she does not yet understand. Chora, as wise as it is to know who you are travelling with, please understand that it's hard for many people to accept that someone is suspicious of their motives.

With the knowledge that this is being so closely watcher, I feel safer, actually, with more people asking questions, than less. As I said, I find you all interesting. I find that I like all of you. But, I trust none of you. I don't expect that you trust me. All we have to go on are our actions, present and future. For now, my actions have carried me to this breakfast, which, incidentally, is quite good.

With that in mind, does anyone other than Cindy have the ability to cast this Mind Blank spell? I'm sure that such a spell will assay many of her concerns on the safety of our discussion, and it seems acceptable to Cindy as well. I'm more than happy to defer to anything that the two of you agree will protect us.

With that, he picks up his fork, and resumes his meal, with every intention of a second helping of the green meat.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-05, 01:34 AM
Cindy looks at Hara and says "I'm not particuarly concerned at all about the security that anyone in this group is or is not taking. As for my displeasure is Chora continues to use divinations to learn about me, its not because she is spying on me. It's because its a waste of time and spells. Your much better off with a "Has anyone in the group betrayed us?" question than with anything specific to another party member. If the first question comes up positive you should ask more specific questions.

Now as for trusting any of you, I trust you not to betray me. If you do betray me I will simple have to remedy the situation."

AmberVael
2008-05-05, 07:54 AM
Chora doesn't seem inclined to speak any further, but it is obvious she hasn't in the least conceded the argument or agreed with Cindy at all. She also does not touch the food, perhaps because she wants to rebel in some way, if not continue the argument.
I have that spell prepared. I was going to save it for after a more general ward was used, to perhaps lengthen and take advantage of its longer duration, but if it could be used to protect all of us then maybe it would be best to expend it now.

Solo
2008-05-05, 11:15 AM
You bring forth a great feast, including a magnificent table, chairs, service, and food and drink. The feast takes 1 hour to consume, and the beneficial effects do not set in until this hour is over. Every creature partaking of the feast is cured of all diseases, sickness, and nausea; becomes immune to poison for 12 hours; and gains 1d8 temporary hit points +1 point per two caster levels (maximum +10) after imbibing the nectar-like beverage that is part of the feast. The ambrosial food that is consumed grants each creature that partakes a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and Will saves and immunity to fear effects for 12 hours.

Rayman reads from a small notecard on the table.

Well, that sounds delicious. Come on, stop bickering and join us. We all need to eat, after all.

Talic
2008-05-06, 12:39 AM
Hara glances back at Cindy.

Indeed? Hmm. I suppose I've always trusted each person not to betray themselves. Never thought that they wouldn't betray me. For that matter, my loyalty is greatly dependent on how I feel your goals mesh with mine. For what it's worth, you may trust me to do what I think is best for the continued survival and well being of my home on the prime material. I've grown rather attached to it, after all, nice as Sigil is, and all. As far as trusting me not to betray you? Well, for that, I suppose I'd need some form of loyalty to your cause, rather than mine. But, so long as our goals are similar enough, there shouldn't be any need for any conflict.
Hara then looks around at each other person.

On a side note, perhaps it's not a bad idea to find out what interest each person has in this. It may give us all a bit of insight into each other, which is rarely a bad thing. As I've said, I act in the interest of seeing that this extends no farther than a bickering between angels and demons. Inasmuch as it doesn't conflict with that, I'd enjoy some company in my travels, and the opportunity to teach others, and learn from them. Also, I don't mind a bit extra here and there to accomplish each of your goals, as long at they don't go against mine.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-06, 12:48 AM
Cindy glances at Hara and says "I trust you for all for my own reasons, and it would be in all of your best interests to ensure that that trust is justified. As for my loyalties, I'm loyal to myself and my father. I trust Rayman because my dad said I could and I trust his judgment. I'm going on this adventure because I think it will be fun and interesting, in addition to giving me more opportunities to get new pets."

Talic
2008-05-06, 01:42 AM
At the part where "all of your best interests" is said, Hara allows the hint of an amused expression to cross his face, the sort one usually sees adults give children.

Well, then, since it touches on your loyalties, I think it's only fair to ask who your father is, and what his goals are, in relation to this; or at least, what you best surmise them to be. Since they're central to knowing what we can expect of you. If you are not allowed to reveal that, I suppose it's a fair enough answer, though, in my experience, few people hide their goals, unless it's in fear of being caught at something, or opposed. Such a position from your father would do very little to make me less suspicious of him, and thus, you. Simply knowing that you are subservient to the will of another is enough, in my opinion, to warrant being watched. Whether or not that displeases you is, to be honest, of little concern to me.

All I'm saying is, that if we intend to be travelling together for any length of time, it's easiest to come to an understanding of what we can expect from each other. From me, any who don't oppose my goals are helped, and most who do are taught, at best, and killed, at worst. To be honest, I've not killed everything I've tried to. But I never try unless I think I can succeed.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-06, 01:52 AM
Cindy shrugs and says "My fathers goals? To gain more experience in the use of magic and to learn more about magic and its uses. As for who he is, his name is Akkarin. He dropped me off here and headed off adventuring, I haven't the faintest idea about where he is or what he is currently up too. As for being subservient to my father, I'm not. Loyalty and subservience are very different things.

As for what I expect from you all. I expect you not to betray me or anyone else in the group, I expect you to take reasonable risks to help the other members of the group for the duration of our time together, I expect you to be honest with the other group members for the duration, I expect you to split any profits gained in our time together evenly, I expect you to be polite and civil to one another, I expect you to treat the other group members with courtesy and respect, and I expect you to trust one another until such a time as evidence indicating that the trust isn't justified comes to light."

Talic
2008-05-06, 02:20 AM
Hara's expression seems almost a cross between annoyance and amusement, at this.

Very well. Now let me tell you what I expect. I expect to know precisely what I can expect of each of you. One cannot betray someone without deception, and one cannot deceive if they never state that they are trustworthy. In addition, I expect to know how and why you should be considered trustworthy. I expect for you to not expect anything of me, including civility and trust, unless you demonstrate that you are not someone that is opposed to my goals. I expect nobody here to either expect or offer trust blindly, least of all myself.

Though, to be honest, one cannot be loyal to any cause, person, or ideal, without being true to those ideals. Loyalty can never be established if you don't defer to those ideals when they conflict with your own. By that, one cannot be loyal without being subservient.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-06, 02:43 AM
A flicker of what appeared to be amusement crossed Cindy's face as she responded "You can expect from me exactly what I expect from you. Why you should consider me trustworthy? Because I don't have any goals which conflict with your own, or anyone else's in this group; well unless your goals include something that would lead to my death or unpleasantness for myself. I don't trust blindly, I'm not trusting you with anything important. For me this entire quest is currently nothing more than something that I think will be fun and interesting, in the future that assessment may be reevaluated and if so I may choose to disassociate myself from you. So I trust you to not do any of the things I have previously listed, but to be honest your failure to prove worthy of that trust wouldn't really inconvenience me in the least. I don't trust you to not attempt to kill me, but I do trust my abilities to protect me from such an attempt. So I don't worry about it.

One can be loyal to a person without sharing their ideas or convictions and without being subservient to them. Will I take any action that I see as harming my father? Not without a very good reason. Will I do whatever my father asks? Again, not without a very good reason. Will I run risks to help my father if he asks for my help? Yes. Do I expect him to ever ask for my help? No. My father is a non issue."

Talic
2008-05-06, 03:39 AM
Hara

A glimpse of something (insight? comprehension?) passes swiftly through Hara's eyes, before being replaced by his usual bland expression.

Oh, I see the confusion. You seem to be mistaking love for loyalty. In that case, very well. I consider it no matter of import if you love your father. Only if you defer to his judgement rather than acting primarily in your own interests. If your primary interests are your own, then I shall judge you by them. As much as amusement is a dangerous reason to trust in, it is one that can be anticipated. So long as nobody acts to intentionally expand the sphere of influence that this demon sword event has, or intentionally allows or aids it in further affecting the planes beyond which the angels and devils call home, then you can expect no "death or unpleastantness" for yourself. Outside of the scope of that, I'm not really overly concerned for or against your paths, and see no problem helping you... Or at least telling you why I won't, should I be unable to. And, since you know that, it should be easy enough to not act in a way that would draw any unwanted ire from myself, just as, when I know that you are here primarily for amusement and getting new pets, I can assist in that. What sort of pets interest you?

AmberVael
2008-05-06, 07:56 AM
Chora gives a cough to try and get Cindy's attention.
If you want to assist with my mind blank, I suggest you do it now before I decide to use it on myself.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-06, 12:40 PM
Cindy nods to Hara before turning to Talic and saying "You can wait until we are finished eating. As I have told you multiple times, this meal is more than just food. It provides multiple magical protections to the inbiders."

Turning back to Hara Cindy says "Pet's that interest me? Demons, devils, wizards, high priests, angels, and generally anything else that I find interesting."

Talic
2008-05-06, 02:20 PM
Hara gives a slight frown at the dissertation between Cindy and Chora, but allows Cindy to finish before speaking

That's about what I thought. About the pets, I mean.

Though if you expect civility, courtesy, and politeness from Chora, it may be wise to return the favor. I think her patience is wearing thin, and I can hardly blame her. I've eaten magically prepared meals such as this before, and if I'm not mistaken, it takes some time for finish. If the spell would take but a moment of time to perform, and wouldn't impact the effectiveness of the meal in any way, perhaps it would be prudent to perform it sooner, rather than later. As good as any defense you have levied this far is, the very spell Chora wants to cast is the one you suggested. Perhaps you're a bit overly harsh, considering that you yourself have espoused the wisdom of the course she's suggesting.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-06, 03:02 PM
"If this feast is interrupted, which casting a spell would qualify as, then the magic would be negated. And if she wants to go so far as to interrupt the spell instead of waiting another 30 to 45 minutes for it to be finished then she can provide a better reason than that someone has been using divinations on the group. We are currently in an extra dimensional space that can only be entered from Raymans room, which is inside the professors quarters of Sigil Prep, and in the city of Sigil. Unless someone wants to play 20 questions with the gods, which Mind Blank won't prevent in the first place, then very few divination spells will be able to detect us. And those that could, such as the spell Scrying, create a magical sensor at our location. Malakh can see such sensors and will warn us if someone uses such as spell against us.

As for Chora, I attempted to be polite and courteous to her yesterday. Then I invited her to come here, inside my home, and join us in partaking of a feast that will provide her with more protections. She is a guest in my house and so far she has spurned the food I have offered. She gets affronted when I ask her to not spy on me in the future, a perfectly valid request in my opinion. If he has a really pressing and specific concern about divinations being used against us then she can share it. Or she can use Mind Blank on herself and leave the rest of you without its protection for the day. I have made my position clear, if she is willing to wait until after I finish eating then I will gladly alter her casting of Mind Blank so that it effects the whole group, if she can give me a specific, pressing reason to believe that casting it now will provide significant benefits vs. casting it in about 30 minutes then I will forgo the benefits of this feast. If she chooses to cast Mind Blank now, out of some petty form of rebellion, she is free to do so but she is the person responsible for that choice, not me.

Now I believe that that topic has been beaten to death, so lets move on to somethign else.

Cindy looks lost in thought for a second before continuing with Perhaps... Where do you suggest that we start this quest."

Solo
2008-05-06, 03:38 PM
Not quite sure of what he can do to stop the growing inner party conflict, Rayman resolves to keep the two women separate from each other - and keep an eye on Chora.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, we have two places we could travel to.

1. Go to the abyss and start hunting the Balor down, or
2. Diviniate and figure out where the Balor before he came up here, then go to that plane and diviniate further.

One of these options is more dangerous and fun, the other is safer and probably a more direct way of finding out what is going on.

Talic
2008-05-06, 03:42 PM
I suggest... That we start this quest after eating, and gaining the protections of a mind blank. That's where I suggest we start. As for our specific plans? Perhaps it would be best to wait until we are protected fully before speaking in full confidence.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-06, 03:47 PM
Cindy shrugs at Hara and says "Very well.". She eats in silence until the food is finished (about 30 minutes).

Unless anyone has a reason to linger over the feast I suggest we advance time so its over.

Solo
2008-05-06, 03:54 PM
(Let's move on. You certainly talked enough to fill an hour :p)

Half and hour later.....

Well, that was an excellent meal. Shall we now get to planning our little trip?

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-06, 04:11 PM
Cindy waves a hand and the feast and furniture conjured with it disappear. "The sitting room is this way. Chora, if you want to cast Mind Blank now I will be happy to alter it."

Cindy leads the way to the sitting room and then moves adjacent to Chora before reading an action to use Cooperative Meta to apply Chain Spell to Mind Blank, she takes 10 and succeeds on the spellcraft check

AmberVael
2008-05-06, 05:38 PM
Chora casts Mind Blank, allowing Cindy to enhance it with her cooperative magic. She does not say anything to her, but simply uses her magic and allows it to be spread to the others via use of Chain Spell. After this is done, she sits and waits for the others to speak.

Solo
2008-05-06, 06:04 PM
So, do we raid the gates of the Abyss (again) or go and try to trace the previous locations of the sword?

AmberVael
2008-05-06, 06:17 PM
Do you want to know more about the sword, or the demon who used it and his plans?
Chora raises an eyebrow at Rayman, leaning back in her seat.

Solo
2008-05-06, 06:23 PM
Well, seeing as he hid something, if we find out what he hid, we would find out more about the plans.

Plus, we'd likely want to find the thing anyways.

AmberVael
2008-05-06, 09:59 PM
Chora taps her fingers together.
My divinations gave me many answers, some of which I'm not sure I can trust, but it seems that this involves, many, many outsiders. Considering my suspicions, well...
If my divinations are to entirely be believe, we will be interacting with the plots and goals of those in Mechanus, Celestial realms, the Abyss, and the Hells.
She looks over them all, then gives a little smile.
I don't think I reliably found out where the item we're looking for is, but my divinations implied that our demonic acquaintance had been dealing with an unbreakable contract. It could be that they were just misguided and were lying to me, but I am not so certain... what is the probability that two different entities would lie the same way twice?

Talic
2008-05-07, 10:57 AM
Hara

Depends on if they knew each other, I suppose, and whether your name has become a household item among the different entities you talk to. Regardless, odds are likely slim.

Still, from what little I've seen of the planes, they're rather large places. Perhaps it would be wise to narrow down the search areas within each of the planes you suggested. Do we have any way to do that?

AmberVael
2008-05-07, 11:51 AM
Chora raises a finger to pause him.
It may not be on any of the involved outsiders. My divinations said two things, which are both vague and may not be correct.
One said the item we're searching for is buried, and the other said it was currently located on the Astral Plane.

Solo
2008-05-07, 03:48 PM
Hidden on the Asteral Plane? You mean, like he used that spell, what was it.... Secret Chest?

AmberVael
2008-05-07, 04:48 PM
Possibly...
Chora sounds skeptical.
He said it was too large for him to carry, and it would take a great deal of arcane power to hide anything of substantial size with that spell. If he's carrying a sword around, he's probably more mundanely skilled, or relies on innate magical power- which I doubt would be able to duplicate that specific spell.
Still it is a possibility.

Talic
2008-05-08, 04:16 AM
I know little of the Astral plane, but would it be possible to bury something on it? If not, would there be some sort of magical item that could duplicate the effects required to hide something on the astral plane?

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-10, 01:41 AM
"Sure, you could bury something on the Astral Plane. Lot's of dirt is just randomly floating around there. And if you really had too, you could always transport your own dirt to there.

But we really need more information, the Astral Plane is infinite. So unless we can narrow down the area to search, well we would be glad that the Astral is also timeless."

Solo
2008-05-10, 06:21 AM
Maybe some sort of 'divining rod'? Otherwise, the only other way to get information would be to confront a demonic prince in his home turf... unless I am forgetting something?

Solo
2008-05-10, 10:30 PM
Well, in any case, we only have two options as far as I can see. As I don't favor digging around the Astral plane, I propose we visit the Abyss and ask nicely for information.

By which I mean shoot up a bunch of demons and interrogate them.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-10, 10:35 PM
Cindy shrugs and says "Sure, fine with me."

Talic
2008-05-11, 01:56 PM
It sounds like it's at least somewhere to start.

AmberVael
2008-05-11, 01:56 PM
I did divine for the names of a few people who might know more about the situation. Interestingly...
Chora's eyes flick to Cindy.
Cindy's father was one of them.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-11, 02:09 PM
Cindy shrugs and says "I'm sure he most likely does. But unless you know where he is at the moment then its irrelevant. And even if you did know where he was and we went and visited him there is no guarantee that he would tell us anything useful. He would consider it good training and experience for us to go and find out from some other source. And for all I know he staged this whole thing just because he was bored, he has done similar things before."

Solo
2008-05-11, 09:44 PM
Your father sounds like a bastard. You may quote me on that.

Rayman rolls his eyes.

So, all for raiding the infinite layers of the Abyss until something useful comes up?

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-11, 10:30 PM
"Sure, it could be interesting. Let's go play with demons."

Talic
2008-05-12, 12:03 AM
Hara pauses at Rayman's last comment.

Just a thought... But would it not be a bit wiser to pull the enemy to us, in manageable numbers, rather than visit it, and try to defeat limitless numbers of powerful enemies? After all, this one that appeared in the courtyard released an effect capable of killing several in our group, just as a by product of its death. Perhaps we may be better served by calling outsiders that knew more to us, and getting the information here, where we can monitor their numbers a bit more carefully.

Solo
2008-05-12, 05:13 AM
Hara, the infinite hoards of the abyss are not all in one place you know.

We could try Planar Binding demons, but we have no guarantee that we'd get he right ones. Some things have to be done the old fashioned way.

By which I mean we must beat something up and smack it around.

Talic
2008-05-12, 06:41 AM
So... How exactly is randomly running in there to smack them around any different than randomly bringing them here to smack around? It seems we'll likely get the wrong ones before the right ones in either case. Not that I particularly mind, it just seems that over the past several months, every trip between planes has left me in places that remind me less and less of home.

Solo
2008-05-12, 07:05 AM
Home tis a state of mind, tis what you make of it... but to answer your question, we go down there, find out where our prince in shining armor lives, and nab one of his trusty servants. Much better than randomly planar bindings.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-12, 05:54 PM
"I just thought of something? Why go for some servant when we can just talk to Thyrn Arder'g himself."

Cindy looks around at everybody and then says "Here's my plan, we travel to some suitable uninhabited material plane, then set a trap for Thyrn Arder'g. Once we have that set up we can just Wish for him to appear in the trap. And if he misbehaves I can adjust him to make him more cooperative.

But before we do anything else we really should handle our communications problems. If we leave my mansion I can set up some permanent telepathic bonds between all of us."

Solo
2008-05-12, 06:20 PM
Well, I must admit that is a more direct route.... sure, we can try that.

AmberVael
2008-05-12, 07:15 PM
Chora raises an eyebrow, opens her mouth to ask a question, then gets whapped across the side of her head by her player, who remembered the answer to her question (which she would most certainly know due to her planar knowledge).
It does seem like it would be the easiest way...

Solo
2008-05-12, 08:13 PM
It seems we al favor the direct approach then.

Talic
2008-05-13, 01:16 AM
That method seems to be the most simple and direct. And the simplest methods are generally the ones with the least chance for error. I'm all for this.

Though I'm not sure how much I want each of you in my head, to be honest.

Solo
2008-05-13, 08:35 AM
Nothing to worry about. I don't think we'll be doing anything too intrusive. After all, it's going to be for everyone in the party, right?

Now, after Cindy does her stuff, I'll just call in a Plane Shift and get us out of here.

By the way, does anyone know exactly where we're supposed to Plane Shift to?

Talic
2008-05-14, 02:41 AM
We're looking for a relatively barren area, sparsely populated? Seems like a desert or a tundra would fit nicely.

Solo
2008-05-14, 05:05 AM
Hey, a desert! That sounds like a great place! I'm glad you suggested it. Do you have one particular desert in mind?

Talic
2008-05-14, 05:53 AM
One's as good as another, I'd imagine. I do assume you plan on turning a sizeable portion of it to glass? In that regard, there are many suitable desert environments. In the lands I hail from, there's the Aunauroch desert, the deserts surrounding the Dragon Coast, and the Burning Sands. Of the three, the Burning Sands would likely fit our needs best, as it is the least hospitable, and thus, least likely to be heavily populated. I assume we're all more than capable of dealing with 160 degree temperatures during the day, 30 degree temperatures at night, blinding sandstorms, exposed jagged rocks, and the occasional sand wyrm. I'm not too clear with how the plane we currently reside interacts with my own as far as the passage of time goes, but, if everything is equal, that about matches the Burning Sands in the cool season, which, assuming equal passage, it should be.

Solo
2008-05-14, 06:17 AM
Sounds like I'd better pack an ointment of Endure Elements then, eh?

Talic
2008-05-14, 06:33 AM
I'd imagine it wise. Though, if we plan on setting up a trap for this demon, then I imagine I can lessen the hostility of the environment temporarily. Or, for that matter, increase it.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-14, 06:36 AM
Cindy looks around and says "Well if everyone is agreed, follow me."

She leads the way out of the mansion and back to Raymans room. After taking the sword from Malakh and putting it in her belt, Cindy proceeds to start casting Telepathic bonds to link each person to every other (including Malakh). Once that is done, she removes a scroll from her belt and proceeds to use it. A Solar appears and starts making the bonds permanent, once he has made 3 of the 10 bonds permanent he proceeds to cast Wish and wish for a scroll of gate, which he gives to Cindy. The process is repeated until all the bonds are permanent.

Once she is finished, Cindy seems a bit exhausted when she continues with I suggest that we converse with each other solely as I am conversing with you now, mind to mind. It makes our communications much harder to intercept or detect. Now I have used up a large number of my daily spells, so unless you have a better idea I suggest that we spend the night here and travel to this desert tomorrow. I have ideas for the trap but I will need at least 24 hours to prepare the necessary spells, and I would much rather rest here than there. If you want my mansion has enough room for you all to stay in. I suggest that you finish up any last minute shopping.

Using spontaneous divination to convert spells of 5th level and higher into Telepathic Bonds (10 of them total). Gating in a Solar to use his 3/day SLA Permanency to make them permanent at CL 20 and his Wish SLA to get another Gate Scroll. If anyone besides the 4 of us are still in this game then assume that they are added in as well.

If no one has any objections I suggest that Solo just says "And the next morning, after buffing, Rayman casts Plane Shift to take us to Random Uninhabited Desert World X on Random Prime Material Plane Y" so we can get on with this.

Solo
2008-05-14, 06:48 AM
Meanwhile, thousands of miles away.....

There is a pop in the desert as a odd group of induhviduals arrive in the middle of a blasted and barren desert.

There, that wasn't so bad, was it?

(Used Spellpool for a 7th level plane shift to take us to the desert Hara suggested after giving Cindy a day to rest. Repaid spell pool with one third and one fourth level spell)

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-14, 09:12 AM
Once they arrive in the desert Cindy send to the others This should only take a minute or so.

Cindy mutters a few words, makes a few hand gestures, and it appears that nothing happened. She repeats the process twice more and then removes a scroll from her belt. A solar appears and Cindy instructs it to make the walls of force she cast permanent and then wish her up another scroll of gate. She repeats the process twice more and then summons Malakh with the wave of a hand.

She tosses him a necklace with 1 bead on it and sends Be a dear and cast Forbiddance over the area inside that nice box of force. Malakh just nods and proceeds to cast the spell.

Once he has finished Cindy proceeds to cast a Private Sanctum spell over the whole box and then gates in another Solar. She passes over her Orange Ioun Stone and has the Solar make the sanctum permanent before recovering her Ioun Stone and having him wish her up another scroll of gate.

She turns to the rest of the party and sends There. Everything is ready except for getting the demon here. I can do that now, unless anyone has a reason to wait. Or any other defenses to put up. Based on what I know about Balor abilities, that trap should hold a Balor until I decide to release it. If you are willing to wait until tomorrow I can recover my spells and be ready to help deal with any unforeseen possibilities.

Assuming its ok to rest until tomorrow Cindy casts Magnificent Mansion and rests up until the next day. The next morning, after eating and buffing, she heads out with the rest of the party and puts Malakh back in her glove before pulling out a scroll of gate and calling up a Solar. She orders him to Wish the Balor Prince Thyrn Arder'g into the middle of her trap.

The box of force is a cube 20 feet on a side with the bottom a foot off the ground. The front is made up of walls of force, separated by 6 inches. the whole box (and 10 feet in every direction around it) is covered with the Mages Private Sanctum. The same area (plus a bit more, which isn't really relevant) is covered by the Forbiddance effect, which blocks all forms of planar travel in the area.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-06-03, 03:48 PM
Suddenly, a Balor appears in the midst of the walls of force. Surprised, he looks around, studying each of you. Finally, he calls to Rayman, the only one he truly recognizes, "So you are more powerful then I thought to be able to bring me here so easily, but what is your purpose? Have you still my sword, or do I need to clean up the mess I left behind?"

Solo
2008-06-03, 10:06 PM
Why, yes, we do have the sword. That's why you are here, aside from your stunning good looks and personality, of course.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-06-05, 07:31 PM
And what about him? The Balor snarls, glaring at the solar. Do you even know what you are doing? Or are you just trying to get killed?

Emperor Tippy
2008-06-05, 07:52 PM
Cindy looks at Thyrn Arder'g and says "First, I would suggest that you moderate your tone. Second, I suggest that you try real hard to keep me happy as that is the only way you will survive this day. Third, that Solar is of no concern. You are here to answer questions, not ask them."

Over the telepathic bond Cindy says to the others don't anyone answer any of his questions without consulting the rest of the group. No one use anyone else's name aloud, the less information this demon knows about us the better.

Solo
2008-06-05, 09:47 PM
Capital idea, Mandy.

Emperor Tippy
2008-06-05, 10:34 PM
It's Cindy you dolt. Are you drunk again?

Solo
2008-06-05, 10:42 PM
I am getting used to calling you by an alias.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-06-06, 10:24 PM
This is a waste of my time. Clearly I need to finish my job for myself.

The Balor concentrates for a moment, then glares at Rayman before moving up to the edge of the Walls, and squeezing under them.

Roll Init

[roll0]

Solo
2008-06-06, 10:40 PM
Initiative:[roll0]

Alright, as you can imagine, we have questions in search of answers. Why did you appear in the school grounds and vaporize everything, leaving your sword to me?

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-06-06, 11:05 PM
There has been a misunderstanding. As such, we now are experiencing technical difficulties.

Do not role Initiative.

We are now replacing the walls of force with a forcecage, barred version. And no one is slipping out, unless maybe he can, will check on that, but unlikely.

Talic
2008-06-07, 04:53 AM
Very well. No names shall be used. I shall be on guard, in case of aggression.

With a casual glance towards the caged fiend, Hara's form blurs for a moment, growing. The equipment he has melds into his form, and within the blink of an eye, where hara stood, there is only a monstrous turtle.

OOC/Mechanics:Wildshape - Dire Tortoise

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-06-08, 08:23 AM
Since apparently there has been a misunderstanding:

The Balor concentrates for a moment, then glares at Rayman.

(That's it. Seriously guys, you have to ask questions before he can answer, and he's not going to waste his time doing things he knows will fail.)

Emperor Tippy
2008-06-08, 08:28 AM
Cindy looks at the demon and says "If you won't answer the questions we ask you, such as the one my associate just asked; "Why did you appear in the school grounds and vaporize everything, leaving your sword to me?", then I will have no choice but to rip the answers from your brain. I have refrained from doing that so far because it will require me to use a limited resource, but if you force me to that point then when I am over you will be a lovable little puppy that thinks its a badger and will live out the rest of your life on some random farm."

Solo
2008-06-08, 08:37 AM
Since apparently there has been a misunderstanding:

The Balor concentrates for a moment, then glares at Rayman.

I have given you your question: What is the meaning of your performance yesterday?

Talk or we will make you.
Bluff: [roll0]

Talic
2008-06-08, 11:52 PM
Thoughtlink to party: Perhaps it wasn't this specific creature that caused the explosion at Sigil Prep. If that is the case, then the answers to your questions may be... inaccurate.

Solo
2008-06-09, 12:36 AM
Given that he's asking whether we're returning his sword, I think it is the same guy.

Talic
2008-06-09, 12:43 AM
Possibly. Perhaps he left the sword in the care of the one who blew up the courtyard. In any case, I just left the idea out there to explain any confusing answers we may get.

Solo
2008-06-09, 12:53 AM
A good point. Would you like to clarify the issue? You've been rather silent today.

Talic
2008-06-09, 01:18 AM
Alas, there are certain limitations to being shaped like a turtle. One is my unfortunate inability to produce any sound that is not "Rawr".

Solo
2008-06-09, 01:41 AM
The turtle wishes to know if you are indeed the one who exploded himself yesterday on our campus.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-06-09, 09:42 AM
I do not think exploded myself is technically accurate. That is just a symptom of what the Solar (with this he glares at the Solar standing outside) did to me.

However a body that was mine did in fact explode in the courtyard of a university yesterday.

As to why, that would be of course because I was killed, though undoubtedly you mean why was I there.

As to that, I was there because of an unfortunate effect, similar to the one I am currently within, that prevented my entrance to the tower I was searching for, shunting me sideways and placing me in the courtyard.

Solo
2008-06-09, 09:46 AM
Oh, well if it was a tower you were looking for, you should have asked for directions, Rayman comments, taking out a visitor's guide to Sigal Prep and thumbing it open. What did you have in mind?

Talic
2008-06-10, 07:26 AM
It seems remarkably agreeable for a lord of evil and destruction. Should we trust what it says?

Solo
2008-06-10, 07:35 AM
Come now. Surely you must know by now to distrust what everyone says.

Talic
2008-06-10, 07:44 AM
No, I trust everyone. What I trust them to do, that's a different matter.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-06-12, 09:24 AM
I'm sorry for my rudeness, I'm only a manifestation of lawless evilness, I can't help it. Also, I was preoccupied.

So have you bothered to examine the Sword yet? Or are you just playing around, awaiting your death.