PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Power Stones

Crazy Scot
2008-04-21, 06:27 AM
I know that Psionic Power Stones are the equivalent of a Wizard's Scroll, but is there any way for a Psion to gain access to a power in a stone, activate it with his own power points and not burn out the stone? Or are there other psionic items which create similar effects?

Eikre
2008-04-21, 06:49 AM
Sketchy point on that. At worst, no. At best, however, you can use a power in a stone as though it were your own just using innate capability. Let me explain.

First, read over this this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#manifestAnUnknownPowerFr omAnothersPowersKnown). The first sentence says, "A psionic character can attempt to manifest a power from a source other than his own knowledge (usually a power stone or another willing psionic character)."

Well, that would suggest that you can use the technique detailed there on stones, because power stones are used as an example of other sources of knowledge. But every other mention of knowledge in that passage is described as either a creature, a character, or a 'creature or character'. Are they just reminding you that power stones exist in the first sentence and describing how to lick the Wilder's head in the next paragraph, or what?

Anyway, pass that by your DM and see what he thinks. There's also some vague stipulation in this same body of text that suggests you only get one chance to do this per power per day.

Fixer
2008-04-21, 06:49 AM
Not that I am aware of.

Once you access and use a stone, it is used up. Maybe if you use Psychic Chirurgy (sp) you might be able to 'give' it to someone else permanently.

FlyMolo
2008-04-21, 07:17 AM
Not that I am aware of.

Once you access and use a stone, it is used up. Maybe if you use Psychic Chirurgy (sp) you might be able to 'give' it to someone else permanently.

I think you're missing an r? Chirurgery?

Anyway, the wilder is more likely to be licking the psion, because of powers known differentials. But I think you can do that with powerstones. It's not usually worth it, though.

Crazy Scot
2008-04-21, 09:38 AM
Well, those were helpful responses, and thanks for them. I guess the answer to my original question is no, but does anyone know of a way to manifest a power through a psionic item by using your own power points instead of from the item? (in other words, using the item's "known power" and your power points to manifest it) I know this is against the rules, but something along the lines of using a Psicrown to get access to the powers, but your power points to activate. Any ideas about this? Or are there any ways of "recharging" a Psicrown or Dorjes, allowing you to use the powers from there and then just putting power points back in later to make up for it? I am just throwing out ideas here, and I don't know if these are legal, but any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dragonmuncher
2008-04-21, 11:34 AM
If there aren't, it'd be easy to homebrew one.

There's already an arcane equivilant. Spellstaves, I think they're called? I could be wrong. Anyway, there's an item that a sorcerer can hold that allows him to use his spell slots to cast the spell/spells in the item. I feel there's a version for wizards, too.