PDA

View Full Version : Beginners IC - Team 1

Duke of URL
2008-04-21, 09:35 AM
Just great. As if marching over the hills toward the port town of Seawell wasn't enough of a chore. Now it's raining, hard, and you're caught out in the open. A flash of lighting outlines what appears to be some sort of structure off to the west. It may offer shelter from the storm, but who knows what else it may offer?

Party Roster:

{table]Player | Character | Map Key
Caracol | Bones (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=49908), Half-Elf Rogue | B
Crazy Fat Goblin | Gyron (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=49979), Human Sorcerer | G
Greenstave | Loiel Far-Seeker (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=50359), Elf Ranger | L
Lord of Pixies | Grog Ironbuckle (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=49922), Dwarf Fighter | I
xPANCAKEx | Brother Denna (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=49955), Human Cleric | D[/table]

"Map Key" will be the letter used to indicate your character on tactical maps, when needed.

Caracol
2008-04-21, 10:10 AM
Bones, Elven Rogue

"Stupid rain... I don't want to get a cold. Better hide somewhere until the weather calms."

Bones, grunting and trying to cover himself, heads to the structure to the west.

"What that thing is supposed to be?"

[roll0]

Caracol
2008-04-21, 10:13 AM
rerolling Spot Check: [roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-04-21, 10:27 AM
(( Please format posts as specified in the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4203546&postcount=7) ))

greenstave
2008-04-21, 01:39 PM
Loiel Far-Seer, Elven Ranger

Loiel adjusts his clothing and pulls his cloak over his head in an attempt to stay dry. Why scanning to the West (Loiel always keeps a watchful eye, a little to identify danger, but mostly to learn the lay of the land) a flash of lightning reveals a structure he can barely make out.

[roll0] - Knowledge Geography check. Does Loiel know the structure?

Duke of URL
2008-04-21, 02:17 PM
Bones can barely make out the path before his feet due to the heavy rains. The distance makes it hard for Loiel to see anything for certain, as well, but he can tell that it's not small enough to be a dwelling and the general shape does not seem appropriate for a fort or keep.

Caracol
2008-04-21, 02:40 PM
Bones

Gaah! Damn rain! I can't go anywhere with this weather. Let's go inside that... whatever the hell is.

Listen Check: [roll0]

edit: wow, natural 1. I foresee a whole world of misfortunes upon me soon if the start is this:smallbiggrin:

I'd better be careful anyway.

RationalGoblin
2008-04-21, 04:32 PM
Gyron

Oh dear, it's raining. I better seek some shelter. Hey, whats that place over there?

As Gyron is walking towards the structure, he peers at it, in an effort to discern what it is.

Spot [roll0]

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-21, 06:59 PM
Brother Denna - human cleric

Holding his shield over his head to try and fend off the foul weather, Brother Denna knew he would soon be soaked through. Small blessings were to be found everywhere in the world, and this was no different. To the west was a structure - shelter from this downpour, so the cleric made for it

Duke of URL
2008-04-21, 09:00 PM
All Bones can hear is the thunder echoing in his ears. Gyron can't make out any detail at this range.

lord of pixies
2008-04-21, 09:54 PM
grog iornbuckle

new i should've never left da mines, not have to wory about weather

whats that??

walks up to get a better view

lord of pixies
2008-04-21, 10:57 PM
spot to see more about this "mysterios building"/ see 4 others waling twards it- [roll0] ...dang

greenstave
2008-04-22, 06:35 AM
Loiel

"Whatever's in there cannot be worse than what is out here." Loiel says to himself, and he heads towards the structure. He notices the others approach, but at this point, he isn't concerned. He just wants a dry place to ride out the storm, and figures the others are thinking the same.

Duke of URL
2008-04-22, 06:37 AM
You arrive at the building. It seems somewhat long and narrow. And quite tall, too; the entrance, which is open, is easily 20 feet wide by ten feet high.

Loiel doesn't recognize the style at all, but it appears to be some sort of temple or tomb. Bones notes that some debris near the entrance appears to be recent, as if a stone door or other large rock had been broken into much smaller pieces.

The storm is getting stronger, and lightning flashes are starting to be immediately followed by loud thunderclaps.

greenstave
2008-04-22, 07:31 AM
Loiel
HP: 8/8
AC: 16, Touch: 13, Flat: 13

"Well met" Loiel says to Bones as they approach the structure. "The door is open. Shall we enter and escape this weather?"

[roll0] Spot check inside building

Caracol
2008-04-22, 08:08 AM
Bones
HP: 6/6
AC: 16, flat 12, touch 14

"Who are you?" says Bones, as he sees the other men near the entrance.
"Pff, nevermind." He kneels to examine the debris. Something doesn't quite convince him.
Search check to found evidences or tracks of someone that was there before [roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-04-22, 08:45 AM
(( Unless/until I ask you to roll for initiative, you don't need to post the HP and AC lines ))

Loiel can't see much of anything -- the interior is dark and the storm has cut off any natural illumination from outside. Bones finds no tracks, but they could have been washed away on the storm; the damage to the rocks looks like it was energy-based, not from physical attacks.

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-22, 08:59 AM

"well gentlemen - i don't know about you - but i think any shelter would be preferable to this foul weather... after you"

said the cleric, lowering his shield as polite gesture

lord of pixies
2008-04-22, 09:33 AM
Grorg iornbuckle

"out of ma' way, im hedin' in" grog storms past (no pun intended) to the entrance and lights his tourch just inside (5 ft) the bilding. looking around as he does.

spot [roll0]

greenstave
2008-04-22, 11:55 AM

"A headstrong dwarf, what are the odds?!" Loiel looks at the others as he draws one of the two swords at his side.

"If I can't see the trouble, that doesn't mean the trouble isn't there!" With that, he follows Grorg into the shelter and looks around.

[roll0] Spot check for any danger in the torch light, and using elven low-light vision beyond the flame

Duke of URL
2008-04-22, 12:05 PM
Entering the building, you find yourself in a large, open chamber. The torchlight does not extend to the walls on either side nor in front of you. However, with his darkvision, Grorg senses that the area extends to the sides just under 50 feet in each direction from the entrance (Loiel sees the same with his low-light vision). Neither can see the far (northern) end of the room or hallway. Both can make out a giant stone door on the eastern wall; but only Loiel makes out a similar stone door further north on the western wall, just at the edge of the light source's range.

The area near the opening is made of stone, that, while dusty, shows signs of having been painted or otherwise decorated a long time ago; but any detail to the decorations have faded away over the years.

Caracol
2008-04-22, 01:15 PM
Bones

"Oh well, since the meat shields are leading the group..." thinks Bones, entering into the room while lighting up his torch.
He observes the door carefully, trying to figure out what could the paintings represent.
Interesting, but that's not a good reason to lower the guard..." he thinks, while examining the door and the area nearby looking for some particular devices or gears that could open the painted door.

Search check on the door [roll0]
Spot check on the area nearby [roll1]
the door has some sort of lock?

Duke of URL
2008-04-22, 01:35 PM
(( The entrance you're standing in front of has no door. The nearest door is some 50-60 feet away on the eastern wall. And you can see another door on the western wall, just shy of 80 feet away. Do you want to investigate either? ))

Caracol
2008-04-22, 01:41 PM
(stupid for me to not specifying it, but I was following Loiel and Grorg. My bad.If I'm not with them already, I follow them and investigate on the door as I did before.)

Duke of URL
2008-04-22, 01:44 PM
(( And they are 5 feet inside the entrance. My previous comment about positioning still stands. Not that I'd have any reason for being anal-retentive about positioning for some reason. No sir. ))

Caracol
2008-04-22, 02:27 PM
(Damnit. Well, I just go inside headed to the painted door, but after I made a spot and listen check to see if something is wrong.)
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

(if something is wrong, I just stand there)

Duke of URL
2008-04-22, 02:31 PM
(( My apologies for not being clearer -- there is no "painted door". The painting refers to the walls that can be seen inside the radius of the torchlight, and the remaining, i.e., aged, detail is too faint to notice anything unusual about it. The two doors you can spot in the dim light appear to just be stone doors, one on the east wall and one, somewhat further to the north, on the west wall. All that aside, you neither hear nor see anything unusual -- the only noises are from your fellow party members and the storm outside. ))

Caracol
2008-04-22, 02:38 PM
(my apologies for reading too fast and to assuming that my english is good enough to understand what is going on without checking it twice...)
Bones carefully approaches to the nearest door, with is torch lighted in a hand and his other hand on his dagger's hilt.

Duke of URL
2008-04-22, 02:44 PM
The door Bones approaches is shut, and looks like an ordinary, albeit large, stone door. As he gets near the door, he can start to make out the far wall of what is now clearly a large room, making the room roughly square-shaped, just under 100 feet or so per side. He can also make out one more stone door on the far wall, directly opposite the opening that leads to the outside in the south wall.

lord of pixies
2008-04-22, 06:04 PM
Grog Iornbuckle

"and what, elf, would the problem with a headstrong dwarf!?" grog mutters to himself as he walks up to bones. "whats up with the door? anything interesting?" he asks. focusing more on the stonework of the door than what this elf has to say.

RationalGoblin
2008-04-22, 06:41 PM
Gyron, Human Sorcerer

Gyron walks up to the growing group, saying nothing but a small "Hello", sidestepping any debris, and merely studies the painting and anything surrounding it, trying to figure out if it is magic-related.

Knowledge: Arcana [roll0]

Whatever he finds out, after studying the painting for a while, Gyron turns to the others, especially the dwarf.

"So I'm not the only one who decided being drenched was a bad thing? Thats good. I mean, if you're getting into interesting situations, it's great to do it with interesting people! Oh, by the way, I'm Gyron."

Gyron gives a warm and truly optimistic smile to everyone. He then rubs his scraggly chin for a moment, as if in thought.

"Oh, and in case any of you want to get rid of me at the first sign of trouble. I know magic."

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-22, 07:16 PM
Walking in from the rain, and shaking off the rain from shield he had been sheltering under, brushing off the last few surface drops from his overcoat and dagger sheath, and approached the assembled group

"Should any unjust mishaps occur to any of you, i will happily lend you my healing abilities and restore order once more. And as a word of warning i would certainly suggest it to be unwise for anyone to attempt to create such a mishap

oh but now i am forgetting myself... My name is Denna, Novice-adept of the clerical brotherhood of St Cuthbert. I must say, im glad i won't have shelter from this storm in solitude

Could any of you tell me of this structure - i've never seen it marked on any of the maps we had at the monastary"

RationalGoblin
2008-04-22, 07:50 PM
Gyron

Gyron takes note of Denna's introduction, A priest? Hmm... Interesting. Useful, though, a man of healing is always good. nodding quickly, then strides foward towards the cleric, extending his hand in greeting.

"Hello, Denna. I'm Gyron. I'm as glad as you are that I won't have to cower under shelter in solitude. This structure? No idea what it is, but I'm trying to figure out what it might be with my arcane learning. Perhaps your religious knowledge can help me with this? Oh, and don't worry, I won't make any trouble. Trouble's never worth it, at least, I think so."

Gyron smiles. This is great! More people! Traveling alone is never fun, but here, I get to know people!

lord of pixies
2008-04-22, 08:46 PM
Grog Iornbuckle

after admireing the door for a little bit he leans on the wall to the right of the door, pulls out his scythe and starts to sharpen it; while humming a dwarven tune.

Duke of URL
2008-04-22, 09:22 PM
You can determine nothing special about the paintings.

The storm is right on top of you now. With each boom of thunder, the stone door trembles, but stays shut.

lord of pixies
2008-04-22, 09:25 PM
Grog Iornbuckle

"i want to get as far away from that open door as i can, it's letting all the coold air in, lets head deaper into this place, maybe through the door over here grog says, not realy for the reasons he sayed but because he's bored and want's to explore/ have a good fight.

Caracol
2008-04-23, 01:09 AM
Bones

Bones looks at the others. They should learn to appreciate the silence... We still don't know what could be inside here, and having a nice conversation is not what we need now..
He moves towards the door, searchin on its surface and on the small area nearby, looking for traps, locks, levers or other hidden switches that could open it.

You can consider valid the search and spot check that I made before, otherwise here's the new ones:
Search: (on the door) [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

greenstave
2008-04-23, 06:29 AM
Loiel, Elven Ranger

Though Loiel trusts his sword and his bow, he cannot help but admire Grorg's Scythe.

"I have not introduced myself. I am Loiel Far-Seer. I have traveled much of these lands, and Ehlonna bless me, I will see much more before my life is at an end. He bows deeply to the others.

"I happen to agree with Grorg. I am still chilled by this open door, and would very much like to learn more of this building while we are here.

With that, he follows Bones towards the door, and allows him to complete his inspection. Then he begins his own inspection of the area

[roll0] Knowledge dungeoneering on this stone "shelter". Actually, I've never used this skill before, and I'm not quite sure what it is used for. If this isn't the right time, ignore this spoiler!

Duke of URL
2008-04-23, 07:23 AM
As the demi- and half-humans approach the eastern door, they can make out the far side of the room. The entire room is roughly square-shaped, slightly less than 100 feet on each side and appears empty. In addition to the two doors seen earlier, there is a third door set into the northern wall, identical in design to the other two, directly opposite the entrance everyone came in through the south wall.

Bones doesn't find any traps or hidden switches. Loiel racks his brain for an idea on what the structure might be, but draws a complete blank.

BOOM!

A massive crack of thunder seems to shake the very floor you stand on. All three doors shake out of their frames and collapse outward from the room. You hear a sudden sound that sounds like a high-pitched scream and some very fast scratching noises.

Roll initiative.

greenstave
2008-04-23, 07:52 AM

Loiel shakes off the loud crash and quickly backs towards the center of the room. He holds his sword in front of him.

[roll0]

Caracol
2008-04-23, 07:59 AM
Bones

Damnit, I knew it. thinks Bones, running towards the center of the room. He lets the torch fall at his feet, as he put himself near Loiel, with his back facing the ranger's back.
He draws his bow and waits.

Initiative: [roll0]

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-23, 09:15 AM
hp: 9/9
AC: 15 Flat: 15 Touch: 9

Readying his shield and mace, keeping his back to door, the ranger and rogue between him and rest of the room, draws closer to the sorcerer

"Stick close to me mage!" he cried

initiative[roll0]

lord of pixies
2008-04-23, 09:42 AM
Grog Iornbuckle
13/13 hp
16 AC

"Get behind me, in the center! this is going to get good! grog yells grabing his schythe, tosses his tourch through the door (to see what is inside/ to give us sight for our arches), and yell through the door in goblincome out if you want to die!!!

init.- [roll0] -- natural 20...and i dont get to use my schythe's crit...

RationalGoblin
2008-04-23, 04:45 PM
Gryon
HP 4/4
AC 10

Gyron is slightly surpised by the "Boom", but reacts quickly, racking his brain for a spell that could help. "Right!" he yells to Denna, getting as close as he can to the cleric. Gyron then chants eldritch words, and quickly moves his hands in an intricate pattern. This'll help me not be a target.
[roll0] my Improved Initiative feat gives +4 to Initiative.
I move towards Denna, (if needed) and cast Mage Armor, increasing my AC by 4

Duke of URL
2008-04-23, 08:53 PM
After the initial rumble of the thunder and the collapse of the doors die away, you pinpoint the source of the noise -- a swarm of rats, frightened by the storm, come fleeing from the now-open north door. Normally, rats would shy away from contact, but these, panicked from the loud noise, make beelines for the targets they now see. Half veer off toward Bones, Loiel, and Grog while the other half make for Denna and Gryon.

Initiative Order (ties broken by higher initiative modifier)

24 B - Bones
22 G - Gyron
22 L - Loiel
21 R5 - Rat 5
21 I - Grog
19 R6 - Rat 6
16 R3 - Rat 3
13 R8 - Rat 8
10 R1 - Rat 1
10 R2 - Rat 2
10 R4 - Rat 4
8 D - Denna
7 R7 - Rat 7

Tactical Map (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pApovhCeRf6Q74aty_Y1FYg)

General Combat Notes

Don't worry about posting in initiative order. I will do my best to resolve things as best as I can in conflicts. This matters more to folks at the end of the order, of course.

Caracol
2008-04-24, 04:13 AM
Bones

Bones takes an arrow from his quiver and shots at the incoming group of rats.

I aim for R2, Attack roll: [roll0](I don't remember if I have to apply ranged shot in melee penalities, do I?) Damage roll: [roll1]

If I have another action left, I draw my dagger. Where is the torch I left? Is still burning?

greenstave
2008-04-24, 07:03 AM

Loiel holds his sword in front of him, ready to strike and the first rat that gets close to him.

Loiel readies an action. If a rat enters a threatened square, he will strike.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
I can do it this way, correct? If this is illegal, I will modify my actions

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-24, 12:25 PM

taking a step forward, Denna raises his shield and readies his mace to swipe at the first rat to come close enough

move from L16 to L15, ready an attack against anyone trying to move into threat range

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-24, 12:40 PM
{ooc: whoops - forgot to include attack details if they become neccessary}

Crit range: 20/x2 - ignore crit roll entry if attack roll is not natural 20

attack [roll0] [damage][roll1]

crit roll [roll2]

lord of pixies
2008-04-24, 05:52 PM
Grog Iornbuckle
13/13 hp
16 AC

bring it on ye virmin grog yells as he runs up and and hits a rat

move to o9 and attack r5 hit/miss [roll0] damage [roll1] and if needed crit. [roll2]

RationalGoblin
2008-04-24, 09:13 PM
Gyron
HP 4/4
AC 10 (14)

Gyron looks at the rats incredulously. "Rats? Come on. How dangerous can they be?"

Despite this, he draws his crossbow, and loads it. "Might as well use this thing, no point in wasting spells."

I can't attack, but I can load my crossbow. Thats good.

Oh, and by the way, I just figured out something. I don't have a familiar. I wonder if I could take a familiar from this group of rats? It's the DM's call, but I think it'd be cool.

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-25, 02:03 AM
for Duke of URL and CFG
i think we all start out assuming that our weapons are preped and loaded, right?

not that it affects me - i mean, what would i do? Load up more clubby-squishy-bashy-bits into my heavy mace? ;)

Duke of URL
2008-04-25, 06:43 AM
Bones casually drops a rat with an arrow, then draws his dagger to prepare for close-in combat. Gyron loads his crossbow and searches for a target. Loiel lets the rats come to him, easily spitting the first to come close. Grog goes to meet the rats, cutting one down with ease. Brother Denna kills the rat that charges at him, although it tried to take a nibble out of him first (but missed). Some of the other rats are luckier, with Bones, Grog, and Loiel each getting a small bite. Gyron's magical protection foils the final surviving rat.

Bones, Grog, and Loiel each take 1 hp damage. Four rats are dead.

(Notes: the rats got a bit lucky on their rolls, and also had a +2 attack bonus for charging -- the good news for you is that all of you except Denna will get to act again before the rats do, which means they still carry their -2 AC penalty for charging as well. Oh, and a suggestion to Gyron, take a 5-foot step away from the rat engaging you before firing, otherwise you'll take -4 for a target engaged in melee and draw an attack of opportunity from the rat.)

24 B - Bones
22 G - Gyron
22 L - Loiel
21 I _ Grog
16 R3 - Rat 3
13 R8 - Rat 8
10 R4 - Rat 4
8 D - Denna
7 R7 - Rat 7

Updated Map (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pApovhCeRf6Q74aty_Y1FYg)

I wonder if I could take a familiar from this group of rats? It's the DM's call, but I think it'd be cool.

Well, you don't have the 100 gp for the ritual, and you'd have to essentially tame a rat first, but other than that... (i.e., no, but nice try)

i think we all start out assuming that our weapons are preped and loaded, right?

Gyron spent his previous action casting his spell -- he could have prepared his crossbow then, but chose not to. Lesson learned, I suppose.

greenstave
2008-04-25, 07:10 AM
HP: 7/8

Loiel cringes as the rat bites through his boot and into his foot. While not overly painful, it certainly took him by surprise.

After slaying the first rat to approach, Loiel turns his attention to the next in line. He thrusts his short sword at his target.

Loiel attacks rat 7
Attack: [roll0]

RationalGoblin
2008-04-25, 07:46 AM
Gyron
HP 4/4
AC 10 (14)

Gyron grimaces when he sees his allies get chewed on, and quickly steps back several steps. Looks painful. I better move back so one doesn't get lucky and bit my foot off.

Gyron squints and takes aim with his crossbow, releasing a bolt into the air towards the rat attacking him.

As recommended, I take a 5-foot step back, and then I attack. A crossbow specifically says it takes a move action to get loaded, so I was just following the rules when I loaded it.

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-25, 08:16 AM

"haha! Fear not, Gryon - i shall happily re-attach your foot if a rat snatches it away from you... but i would far prefer just to cleanse this minor plague and avoid such a procedure" says the priest, taking a lunging swing at the nearest rat

move 5 foot if neccisary

attack of opertunity if neccisary

crit 20/x2

attack[roll0]
damage [roll1]
crit[roll2]

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-25, 08:23 AM
Denna

plus just realised it might end up with an AoO depending on how the rat moves - depends how silly/how out-for-gyrons-blood that rat is! - ie if it moves through my threat zone to get to him

attack[roll0]
damage[roll1]
crit[roll2]

sorry for all the extra boxes

lord of pixies
2008-04-25, 09:44 AM
Grog Iornbuckle

die virmin!!! grog yells as he tries to chop up the rat that bit him.

attacks R4 [roll0] damage [roll1]

Caracol
2008-04-25, 02:12 PM
Bones

HP: 5/6

Bones attacks the rat near him with the dagger.

I attack R8.Attack Roll: [roll0]Damage: [roll1]

Duke of URL
2008-04-25, 02:17 PM
Bones, Loiel, and Grog all kill the rats that had been nibbling on them; Grog's blow obliterates his attacker. Gyron steps back for a clear shot, fires at the rat that had attacked him, and misses. Brother Denna comes to Gyron's aid, but just misses squishing the rat with his mace. The rat nearest Gyron tries again to bite him, but is again confounded by the wizard's protective spell.

24 B - Bones
22 G - Gyron
22 L - Loiel
21 I - Grog
16 R3 - Rat 3
8 D - Denna

Map (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pApovhCeRf6Q74aty_Y1FYg)

Caracol
2008-04-25, 02:38 PM
Knowing that firing an arrow at the last rat could be a mistake, since is too near to his comrades, Bones puts back his dagger and bow.
"They can handle it." he thinks, while he recovers his torch and proceeds to examine the dead rats.

lord of pixies
2008-04-25, 07:51 PM
grog cut off the left foot of the rats that he killed. (probably going to start a colection of all the left feet of all the monsters he kills)

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-26, 08:25 AM

"stay still, vermin!" - hoping in vain that the rats understand common

crit = 20/x2
step if neccisary

attack[roll0]
damage[roll1]
crit[roll2]

greenstave
2008-04-28, 08:38 AM
Loiel

Loiel sees that his companions have the last of the rats in order. With that, he heads towards the open door at the north end of the room, and peers down the hallway.

[roll0] Spot check down the hallway

Duke of URL
2008-04-30, 10:46 AM
Loiel, Grog, and Bones leave the others to their fates. Gyron steps back, loads another bolt, and just misses the rat, who, frustrated at the mage, tries (but fails) to nip at Brother Denna's heels. Denna, in turn, has difficulty finding the mark against such a small target.

Loiel peers through the doorway and sees a long, straight corridor that extends beyond the range of his sight. Bones sees nothing special about the rats. Grog collects a rat head.

DM Rolls: Gyron [roll0], [roll1]

greenstave
2008-04-30, 11:47 AM
Loiel

Seeing nothing of any interest down the hallway, Loiel looks back and sees Denna and Gyron having troubles with the rat.

With a sigh he heads back to assist them.

"Brother. If you can, get away and I will take a shot!" He yells as he heads back to meet them.

I'm not too familiar on the rules of doing this, but I believe I can move and replace my sword this turn, and then draw my bow and attack next turn, provided I don't move next turn, is that correct? If so, then I place my sword in my scabbard and head to K8 on the map. Next turn, I will draw my bow and fire.

Caracol
2008-04-30, 12:08 PM
Bones

Seeing Loiel drawing his bow, Bones tries to stop him. Wait! If you miss it, your arrow could kill the guy istead. If you want to help, just slash him." says Bones, as he proceeds to observe the corridor next to him.

I've the higher initiative, so this should let me say this before Loiel shots, I guess. Anyway, I go to T11 and make a Spot check: [roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-04-30, 12:23 PM
(( Loiel can take a second move action instead of a standard action, so you have it exactly correct. He would take a to-hit penalty for firing into melee, but no risk of hitting a teammate; that's only for grappling cases. Of course, if Brother "whiff" Denna and Gyron both fail to connect again this round, Denna could still take a 5' step away from the rat to make it a more open shot for Loiel. Sooner or later, someone is gonna hit a 14 AC... ))

greenstave
2008-04-30, 12:26 PM
Thank you Duke. That is exactly what he does then. I am going to edit my original post to add a talk action to Denna, which I believe is free!

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-30, 06:18 PM

"If i am not being tested, then the patience of my new companions' certainly is; so please, St Cuthbert, show mercy", cried out brother denna, raising his +0 Heavy Mace of Whiffeling to try and finally splat the rat, jumping back after his swipe to servey the damage... if any

crit 20/x2

attack[roll0]
damage[roll1]
crit[roll2]

then step 5' clear

xPANCAKEx
2008-04-30, 06:25 PM

"well, i certainly did better than i did on whacketh-thy-mole... barely"

the cleric, looks at his feet and shuffles awkwardly with the embaressment of his poor display of combat abilities

Duke of URL
2008-05-01, 06:00 AM
(( Well, let's see what Gyron does first... the rat acts before you, and got a 19 (15+4) on its attack roll... Edit: Oh right, I'm NPCing Gyron... ))

Loiel backtracks to help, drawing his bow. Grog collects another rat head. Bones peers through the eastern doorway, and sees a hallway that opens up into another chamber. In their game of "miss the rat", Gyron continues to shine by thudding another crossbow bolt into the floor, but Denna finally connects a weak blow, though still sufficient to dispatch the rat to rat heaven. Unfortunately, the rat got to him first, nibbling his toes for 1 hp of damage.

Congratulations, you beat the rats. You each earn 60 XP.

Caracol
2008-05-02, 04:28 AM
"Finally" says Bones, going back to the center of the room to recover his torch. "I found another room down that hallway, but I suggest to wait a little in this room to heal our wounds before to explore further. I have been bitten: what about you?"

greenstave
2008-05-02, 06:32 AM
Loiel

As he puts his bow away, Loiel heads to meet the rest of the group. "What do you suppose those rats were running from? I think I'd like to find out!

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-02, 08:07 AM
Brother "whiff" Denna - human cleric

"a little more exploration certainly might yeild the answers you seek to that last question - and such questions left unanswersed usually can niggle at the mind far worse than any rats can nip at our ankles" - before taking a look over the wounds of his new companions, "but fear not, those wounds are mere scratches... i assure you that should the situation become more life threatening i shall be on hand to take care of you all"

Caracol
2008-05-02, 01:49 PM
"Right, we should found why the rat were here, but I would like to do it with our scratches healed" says Bones, sniffing and lighting up his torch. "I'm no healer, but perhaps one of you are."

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-02, 05:05 PM
Brother Denna

'My healing skills are of a finite amount, but..." leaning down to clasp the rogues nipped ankles and concentrate for a few moments, leaning away to reveal newly healed skin devoid of hair, "im sure some accomadation can be reached. I trust the rest of you are not in such dire need of my skills? It may be far better to save them for later when a more severe need arises"

ooc

exchange Guidance for Cure Minor Wounds and cast on Bones to heal 1 hp

and could everyone keep their current HP noted on their character sheets - it will let me know at a glance how you're all doing

Caracol
2008-05-05, 01:11 PM
"Thank you. Now let's move on: more critters could come. Let's go down that hallway, shall we?" sais Bones, heading to the hall he noticed before.

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-05, 03:58 PM
Brother Denna

"Well, there certainly doesn't seem to be anything worth staying here for... lead the way!"

lord of pixies
2008-05-05, 06:01 PM
Grog Iornbuckle

while the others are talking grog simply walks througfh the door to the east, scyth ready to block anything that may jump out.

Duke of URL
2008-05-06, 06:08 AM
The hallway runs about 50 feet or so, and opens up into a smaller chamber (roughly 50'x35'). Nothing jumps out at you; indeed, the dust is so thick it appears that nothing has been through here in many, many years.

The room itself is completely unremarkable, to the point of having only the entrance you came in by, except for a small stone chest sitting in the middle of the floor.

Caracol
2008-05-06, 08:03 AM
"Stay here" says Bones, "and let me search for trap triggers. Don't walk around or you might activate them. Denna, prepare to heal me if I fail."

Bones proceeds straight to the chest. At 20 ft from him, he knees down and search for traps on the floor.

Search check on every 5ft square that I have right in front of me until I reach the chest. If I found something, I stop and try to disable the trap, otherwise I proceed to the next square.
1st square search check: [roll0]
2nd square search check: [roll1]
3rd square search check: [roll2]
4th square search check: [roll3]

Let's try to make a clear path before to open the chest.
Also, I'm an elf, so allow me to do a check for hidden doors if I move near one of it.

Duke of URL
2008-05-06, 08:15 AM
(( Don't worry... I'm doing passive rolls when appropriate. ))

Bones finds nothing unusual about the floor from the doorway to the chest.

Caracol
2008-05-06, 08:23 AM
"No traps so far... kinda odd" think Bones, as he proceeds to examine the chest.

If I have safely reached the chest, I do a Search check [roll0] on it looking for traps or mechanism.
If I found no traps but the chest is locked, I do a Open lock check:[roll1].
If I found a trap, I do a Disable device check[roll2] and then a Open lock check (use the previous open lock result).
If I found nothing, I simply open the chest hoping not to die.

EDIT: Natural 1 on the disable device check. Gonna die. Damn.

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-06, 08:37 AM
Brother 'whiff' Denna

Keeping one eye on the elf, mothodically probing the floor and chest for danger, the priest turned to the dwarf beside him "so.. grog, is it? I am intrigued - I've never thought of scythes as a common arm of choice amongst your kin? How did you come to aquire it? You certainly seemed to make short work of the vermin back there.

Duke of URL
2008-05-06, 08:53 AM
Bones doesn't find any traps, and the lid is unlocked. However, the trap that he did not find goes off, firing a hail of darts into the area around the chest. One of the darts hits Bones, doing 5 points of damage (ouch!).

Caracol
2008-05-06, 08:59 AM
Bones
HP 1/6

"Ouch! OUCH!" screams Bones, barely alive after the shot. "Damnit. I'm badly wounded. Need healing." says the elf, crawling back to his comrades.

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-06, 12:30 PM
Brother Denna

helping the injured rogue to his feet, the priest concentrates. As he held his hand close to the rogues skin, the darts, slowly re-emmerged and were pushed our from withnin by the elf's body as it was restored

"The place is proving far more dangerous than we might suspect - what was so valuable that it required a such a lethal counter measure"

drop entropic shield for cure light wounds
heal:[roll0]

Caracol
2008-05-06, 12:37 PM
"Ugh, thanks Denna. I feel much better now, and I'm still curious to know what would be the chest content. Better go check it out, the trap could reactivate soon."
Bones walks back on the same path and opens the chest. What's inside?

Duke of URL
2008-05-06, 01:11 PM
The chest contains 2 pearls, a leather headband with iron rivets, and a pouch containing 100 gold pieces.

Everyone gets 60 XP for surviving the trap encounter.

greenstave
2008-05-06, 01:34 PM
Loiel

Sorry for my tardyness

Loiel crouches and protects himself as the darts go flying. When it's safe, he rises back and draws one of his short swords.

"This place is indeed more dangerous than we thought. All this because we didn't want to get wet! That said, I am up to explore further, if you are?"

Caracol
2008-05-06, 03:15 PM
Bones keeps the pearls and the gold he found and puts them in his backpack. He looks at the leather headband "What it could possibly be? Maybe it's magic, but I have no clue. Perhaps that guy with the crossbow would know... If only he doesn't stand still motionless in the other room."

Then Bones respond to Loiel: "I agree, let's explore further. Let's go back in the main room and search for another way. Any of you happens to know what this headband could be?"

Appraise check on the headband:[roll0]. Also, what about the sorceror? CFG doesn't seem to reply to this game anymore. Duke, are you going to NPC him until he comes back or you'll assume that he isn't with us anymore?

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-06, 04:18 PM
Denna

Best not to trouble our silent friend with enquiries until he is ready, says the priest, slipping the headband into his pack

ooc

putting it in pack until CFG is back/NPC'ed - for the sake of convieniance... and so that we don't forget it :S

how much does it weigh duke?

Better to be in here and have to face these challenges than be outside and get soaked to the bone - and I would say further exploration couldn't hurt, but so far it seems to be a pretty painful process for most of us - you especially, my elven friend. Although i never did get to hear your name before we were attacked by those startled rats?

Caracol
2008-05-06, 04:44 PM
"It's been so much time since I've been called with my real name, that I forgot it." says Bones. "Some people call me Bones, due to my skinny build. Call me whatever you like, as long as you provide healings."

Bones heads to the main room, approaching to the opposite corridor.

Spot check: [roll0]Do I see anything in particular? I also have the torch lighted up.

RationalGoblin
2008-05-06, 04:57 PM
Gyron
HP: 4

Rats... The rats... crawling... Always crawling... They- wait, did I just lose my head for a second there? We beat the rats! And the others are ahead of me!

Gyron shakes his head to clear his mind, and walks quickly to catch up to the room that the others are in.

He catches his breath once he arrives in the room, and notes the others with their treasure.

"Uh, hello again everyone. I guess. I seem to have acquired a newfound fear of rats, and I was uh, stuck in one place. You look like you found treasure. I can tell if it's magic or not. Does anyone want my help with that then?"

My posts are acting odd, so since I can't use my normal speech color, I'm switching to DarkOliveGreen.

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-06, 05:42 PM
Denna

"good to see you've returned to the world of the mobile, gyron - maybe you could help us in determining what this headband is?", fetching the leather headband with iron rivets from his pack and passing it to the sorcerer

RationalGoblin
2008-05-06, 06:19 PM
Gyron

"Glad to, Denna. I'm always happy to help."

Gyron takes the headband and concentrates quickly. He mutters a simple incantation, and waves his hand around in an arcane manner, attempting to find the magical aura of the headband.

Casting detect magic on the headband.

Duke of URL
2008-05-06, 08:34 PM
Bones determines that the headband has pretty good value (roughly 300-400 gp). Gyron detects a faint abjuration aura about it.

Back in the entrance room, there are still two paths to take deeper inside: the western doorway and the northern doorway (from whence the rats came).

RationalGoblin
2008-05-06, 09:02 PM
Gyron

Gyron turns the headband over in his hands a few times, then turns back to Denna.

"Looks like this has some kind of protective magics on it. I don't need it because I have my own protective spell, but whoever wants it can have it."

Gyron holds the headband out for anyone who wants it.

"Personally, the elf, Bones, right? I think he could use it best. It sounded like you got hurt earlier."

Gyron gives a small smile.

"I do not care either way, just don't kill each other over it."

Caracol
2008-05-07, 01:44 AM
"Well, since you say that it's better if I'm the one to use it..." says Bones with a small grin, taking the headband and wearing it. "Here's the pearl and the money I found before. I have no problem to share them with you. About the magical items that we could found later, I suggest that we give them to the one of us that needs them more. Now let's go to the western doorway, shall we?"

I go to the western doorway and make a Spot check: [roll0]. Also, what does the headband do? How I have to modify my sheet?

greenstave
2008-05-07, 06:21 AM
Loiel

During all the commotion with the treasure, Loiel keeps up his guard. Sword in hand, he constantly checks around to make sure nothing gets the drop on his new found friends.

I do not trust this place. I can think of no logical reason someone would leave a treasure chest out in the open like that, guarded only by a single trap. We should be very careful exploring.

With that, Loiel heads up to meet Bones, and begins to explore down the Western corridor.

Duke of URL
2008-05-07, 07:05 AM
The western corridor is about as long as the eastern one, and appears to open up into a chamber of about the same size. A large stone object, perhaps a sarcophagus, sits on the center of the far wall.

Nothing seems unusual about the hallway.

(( Caracol -- just list the headband under Bones' equipment; it has no appreciable weight. You don't know exactly what it does, but what effects it has (if any) I will apply if/when necessary. ))

greenstave
2008-05-07, 07:39 AM
Loiel

Loiel begins to head down the western hallway, stepping lightly as he goes. As he approaches the stone structure, he searches it. He also looks around for any signs of tracks around the stone structure.

[roll0] Spot for tracks or any signs of movement
[roll1] Search stone structure for anything out of the ordinary

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-07, 07:46 AM
Brother Denna

I have no objection to Bones holding onto the headband for now - he certainly seems to be putting himself in the most danger. Perhaps if we come across a scroll of idenitification, or Gyron could spare another spell we could finally resolve the mystery of the headband - but its not a pressing issue for now.

As for our path ahead, i am intrigued by what had those rats so startled, but it may be an even greater danger than we've already encountered. But if that chest was anything to go by, then bravery has its own rewards - so maybe we should come back to it later

Caracol
2008-05-08, 01:37 PM
"There's another stone chest in there" says Bones, "I suggest to take a look at it. It could have some more treasure, but keep your eyes open."

Bones approaches carefully to the room, and gives a peek before to go in.

Spot check[roll0] to notice if something is wrong. If something is wrong, don't even read the rest and tell us what happens.
If it's all right, I do the same thing that I did in the other room: stop at 20 ft from the sarcophagus, knee down for traps in every 5ft square that it's between me and the sarcophagus.
1st square search check: [roll1]
2nd square search check: [roll2]
3rd square search check: [roll3]
4th square search check: [roll4]
If I found a trap over one of it, stop me and use this Disable Device check: [roll5]

If I make it to the sarcophagus, I do a Search check: [roll6] and a Disable device check: [roll7], looking in particular to a trap similar to the previous one (does this gives me some sort of competence bonus?)

If the sarcophagus is not treasure, but the bed of a freakin undead, well poor me...

I hope that there's no problem if I post multiple action alltogheter, it's just to speed up things, but if I shouldn't just tell.

Duke of URL
2008-05-09, 02:01 PM
(( anyone else want to take an action before the fit hits the shan? ))

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-09, 09:57 PM
Brother Denna

as bones approached the chest, denna aproached to stand 10 foot behind him, keeping a respectful distance, but a watchful eye on the progress of the rogue

RationalGoblin
2008-05-10, 09:33 AM
Gyron

Gyron does the same thing as Denna, only 15 feet away from Bones instead. He also holds his crossbow in wait.

Duke of URL
2008-05-12, 07:20 AM
The only object of interest in the chamber is the sarcophagus. It is standing upright and is not particularly remarkable, except that the head of the figure carved upon its lid looks distorted and seems to have tendrils instead of hair. A pair of batlike wings extends from its temples.

(( Everybody roll a fresh spot check, and roll initiative. ))

My rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Caracol
2008-05-12, 07:35 AM
Bones
AC 16, touch 14, flat 12
HP 6/6

Bones looks carefully for traps, but he doesn't find anything. "The path seems clear" says to his comrades "but I have a bad feeling about this room..."

Spot check:[roll0]
Initiative:[roll1]

greenstave
2008-05-12, 07:46 AM
Loiel
AC 16, touch 13, flat 13
HP 7/8

Spot[roll0]
Init[roll1]

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-12, 08:01 AM
Brother Denna
ac 15 flat 15 touch 10
HP 8/9

I have to agree with you there, bones.. Everyone ready themselves!

Initiative [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

lord of pixies
2008-05-12, 08:46 PM
Grog Iornbuckle
ac 16
hp 12/13

i dont know, i dont like that thingamabober on the coffin grog says as he stands by the door.

init [roll0] spot [roll1] and to recognize the "thingamabob on the front knowlage monsters [roll2]

Duke of URL
2008-05-15, 07:44 AM
As soon as everyone enters the room (before the sarcophagus can be searched), Loiel and Gyron notice that the unusual head of the sarcophagus is actually moving, and manage to react immediately. Bones, Grog, and Brother Denna don't pick up on it quite as fast, and are caught flat-footed for a second.

Surprise round. Those not surprised (Loiel, Gyron, batlike creature) may take a move action or a standard action in initative order (as listed). Then everyone gets to act normally at the start of round 1.

23 L - Loiel
15 I - Grog
14 B - Bones
13 G - Gyron
9 D - Brother Denna
6 X - Batlike creature

(( it's been two days... I'll roll for Gyron and NPC him if necessary ))

[roll0], [roll1]

greenstave
2008-05-15, 07:56 AM
Loiel
AC 16, touch 13, flat 13
HP 7/8

Loiel calls to Bones "You take one side, I'll take the other. We can flank it!"

With that, he moves in beside the creature and attacks.

Loiel moves to square C5 for his surprise round action, and then attacks as his first round action.
Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Duke of URL
2008-05-15, 08:14 AM
Gyron fires his crossbow at the creature, missing quite badly. The creature doesn't move from its perch, but instead lets out a loud shriek.

[roll0], [roll1]

Everybody -- Fortitude save vs. paralysis (DC 12)

Caracol
2008-05-15, 08:15 AM
Bones
AC 16, touch 14, flat 12
HP 6/6

What the HELL is that? shouts Bones, thinking that this could be one of the unluckyiest days of his life.
He hesitates for a second, then he nods at the ranger's idea, moving to the side of the creature, drawing his dagger.

I go to C7, then I attack him with the dagger. I don't know how many action this requires, just make this happen when it's my turn.
Attack roll: [roll0]
We are also flanking him, so
Sneak attack damage:[roll2]

Gyron rolled 1! does the bolt hits one of us?

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-15, 08:17 AM
Brother Denna

ac 15 flat 15 touch 10
HP 8/9

"We must splat that bat!... -winged?.. THING! Oh.... Just kill it!"

move as neccessary - pref to flanking position if possible, but not if it leaves a path to gyron clear

attack if not already dead
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
crit confirm [roll2]

Caracol
2008-05-15, 08:26 AM
I forgot to roll the Fort save. Stupid dice, don't fail me now!
Fort: [roll0]

DAMN!!!!!

Another natural 1. Umbelievable.

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-15, 08:28 AM
Brother Denna

ac 15 flat 15 touch 10
HP 8/9

i got ninja'd on my last post - didn't see the monster move

fort save [roll0]

ZING! Natural 20. But hey, look on the bright side - at least if the rest of you are paralised, you know with my attack rolls i'll be chasing it round long enough for the paralysis to wear off for you lot to rejoin the scrap :(

Duke of URL
2008-05-15, 08:31 AM
Gyron rolled 1! does the bolt hits one of us?

No, there's no actual "critical fumbles" in the core rules. I often will describe such a miss as almost hitting a teammate for flavor reasons, though.

You got a natural 1, Denna got a 20. Them's the breaks.

Oh, and Fort save for Gyron [roll0].

greenstave
2008-05-15, 08:32 AM
Loiel
AC 16, touch 13, flat 13
HP 7/8

Fort[roll0]

lord of pixies
2008-05-16, 05:44 PM
Grog Iornbuckle
ac 16
hp 12/13

die virmin!! grog yells as he walks uup tho the bat thing and attacks

fort [roll0] moves to d6 if posible, if not then he toakes a side, and attacks hit/miss [roll1] damage [roll2] crit [roll3]

Duke of URL
2008-05-28, 07:04 AM
Bones, Grog, and Loiel are frozen by the creature's scream. Brother Denna manages to shake it off, as he steps up and whiffs at the creature. Gyron also manages to react, firing off a blast of magical energy after seeing the big hitters all taken out of action. The creature shrieks again, this time in pain as it crumples to the ground, dead.

DMing Gyron, casting magic missile (2nd of 3 1st level spells available) for [roll0] damage. In case it's necessary, [roll1].

Denna, Fort save (DC 12) again.

23 L - Loiel, paralyized for [roll2] rounds (so far: 1)
15 I - Grog, paralyized for [roll3] rounds (so far: 1)
14 B - Bones, paralyized for [roll4] rounds (so far: 1)
13 G - Gyron
9 D - Brother Denna
6 X - Batlike creature

Lucky shot for Gyron (needed max damage and he got it). Take 60 XP each.

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-28, 09:17 PM
Brother Denna

im glad your magic has a truer aim than my arm, friend. But lets now to help our companions, said the cleric, turning to the rogue first to see if he could help. Im not sure my healing skills would be much use againt fright. FEAR NOT! SNAP OUT OF IT! My whiffling mace will protect you... maybe? :smallfrown:

ooc

just have to wait for the paralysis to wear off i guess?

greenstave
2008-05-29, 06:40 AM
My understanding is it will wear off near instant after battle ceases. If a "round" is 6 seconds, and we are paralized for 2d4 rounds, at most, we are paralyzed for is 48 seconds. With no battle, we can assume we'll come to pretty quick, is that correct DM? I'm posting on this assumption

Loiel

After close to a minute, Loiel begins to move, slowly at first. He shakes his head to clear out the cobwebs and looks around.

"What a horrible experience. I felt trapped. I could think, and see, but I could not control my limbs. Very unnerving.

With that, he puts his sword away and backs away from the stone structure.

RationalGoblin
2008-05-29, 07:36 AM
Gyron

"Boccob's staff! I did it!

Gyron gives a little cheer, then walks over the bat-thing, and assuming it's small enough, puts it in his pack.

"I think I'll keep it as a trophy, and so I can remember that not all of my enemies simply seek to bash my head in, or eat me."

Gyron turns to Loriel. "Well, at least it's over, and we know what creatures similar to the one we just defeated are capable of."

greenstave
2008-05-29, 07:48 AM
Loiel

"Agreed Gyron. Although I would not be opposed to never encountering those creatures again. I must thank you greatly for that. I believe you will become great one day!

Caracol
2008-05-30, 04:45 AM
Bones

After some seconds, Bones shakes off and is able to move again. "I'm starting to think that we are one of the most unlucky and rickety group of adventures. Or maybe you are all just focusing your bad luck on me" he says, with an annoyed tone.
"Well, lets take a look at this damn thing"

I open up the sarcophus. I roll for Search, [roll0], Disable Device, [roll1] or just Open Lock, [roll2]. If there isn't anything here, I head back to the main room, suggesting the other to continue our exploration.

Duke of URL
2008-05-30, 06:02 AM
No traps are evident, or triggered when you rummage around inside the sarcophagus via the hole left behind by the creature. It's pretty much all dust in there, except for a simple-looking silver ring.

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-30, 09:08 AM
Brother Denna

"Vile creature must have been some sort of demonic magpie, guarding shiney objects. Lets hope it wasn't trying to build a nest to breed more of the damn things. Maybe you could i dentify the ring, Gyron? So far your magic talents seem to have turned up trumps every time"

move to the door, to guard against anything sneaking up on us

RationalGoblin
2008-05-30, 07:04 PM
Gyron

"Thank you, Loiel. I believe, no, I know that I will become great."

Gyron thinks after he talks to Loiel. And great I will be, though the heavens and hells will tremble.

Straightening up, and leaving his silent monologue, he takes the ring.

"Alright. I've nearly exhausted my magical power though, so it would be best if you didn't rely on my spells."

As before, Gyron mumbles an incantation and waves his hand about in an arcane matter.

As before, with the headband, I cast detect magic. I'm going to run out of spells at this rate. Also, I added a bit of ambition to Gyron. I thought it was interesting.

lord of pixies
2008-05-30, 09:41 PM
Grog Iornbuckle
stubid bat-head, i dont like the idea of going without a arcane spellcaster (especialy if we face more parralizeing effects) i say some rest (you or anybody else who needs it) while the rest keep gaurd. if we do ill take watch for the first few hours grog says shaking off the effects of the bat-thing.

Duke of URL
2008-05-31, 01:57 PM
The ring radiates a faint divination aura.

(( Resting already? Wimps. :smallwink: ))

RationalGoblin
2008-06-01, 05:06 PM
Gyron

After he is done detecting its magic, Gyron twirls the ring around in his hand a few times.

"This ring seems to have a bit of divination, or "sight" magic in it. It's most likely not powerful enough to see the future, detect carefully hidden things, or foil deceptive magic though, which is what divination does. Still, it could be useful. I think I should have it."

Gyron slips on the ring, and waits for a moment for something to happen.

Duke of URL
2008-06-02, 06:15 AM
Gyron slips the ring on, and... nothing happens, at least as far as he can tell. Whatever effect the ring may have, it does not appear to be immediately obvious.

xPANCAKEx
2008-06-02, 07:56 AM
Brother Denna

a worthy trophy for our budding magician - but perhaps we should press on. So far this shelter seems to be full of intrigue

greenstave
2008-06-02, 07:50 PM
Loiel

I am anxious to press on as well. And we thought riding out the storm would be a boring affair!

RationalGoblin
2008-06-03, 09:36 PM
Loiel

I am anxious to press on as well. And we thought riding out the storm would be a boring affair!

Gyron

"True enough. I still have a few spells left, and my crossbow arm is still steady. Let us press on. That is, if no-one has any objections?"

Duke of URL
2008-06-04, 07:58 AM
There are no other apparent exits from the room other than the passage you entered by.

xPANCAKEx
2008-06-04, 09:47 AM
Brother Whiff Denna

I do believe there was one laste route to persue from the main ante chamber - i suggest we venture there. Lead the way!

Caracol
2008-06-04, 12:01 PM
Bones

"Aaalright, let's do this" says Bones, heading back to the main room. " I'm ok about leading the exploration, as long as you provide cover and heals when needed."
If there are still corridors unexplored, Bones will go for that direction, with his torch lighted up and the dagger ready.

Duke of URL
2008-06-04, 12:06 PM
Everyone roll spot checks, please.

Caracol
2008-06-04, 12:26 PM
Spot [roll0]

RationalGoblin
2008-06-04, 02:44 PM
Spot Check: [roll0]

greenstave
2008-06-04, 05:11 PM
[spoiler][roll0][/spoiler\

xPANCAKEx
2008-06-04, 07:19 PM
Brother Denna

spot [roll0]

i can do everything pretty well except hit things

lord of pixies
2008-06-04, 09:21 PM
Grog Iornbuckle

actualy i think tht i should lead grog says, i have more hit points Errr... i mean i'm tougher, yeah lets go with that...:smallwink:

spot [roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-06-05, 06:27 AM
As the group returns to the entrance chamber, Bones and Brother Denna notice a figure on the far side of the room, near the eastern corridor, holding a torch.

xPANCAKEx
2008-06-05, 09:13 AM
Brother Denna

oop
how much of the figure can we see at this distance - what can we make out about them being illuminated by their torch? And more importantly, have they seen us?

"Look over there - another traveler sheltering from the storm perhaps?" said denna in a low voice to his companions. "Considering the trials this place has laready thrown at us, maybe its best we approach them with caution all the same"

xPANCAKEx
2008-06-10, 09:49 AM
Brother Denna

taking the initiave, the young priest strode forward, shield across his chest, baring the symbol of St Cuthbert, mace held low, but ready at his side

"Greetings stranger - are you sheltering from the storm too?"

Hesquidor
2008-06-11, 05:16 AM
Sara Thurnston, Human Wizard

"My, you startled me! I was just looking at all those dead rats and was debating whether to stay."Sara turned to address the stranger fully.

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name Sara Thurnston and I was traveling to Seawell on a matter of business. Well, that was the plan anyway. The weather it seemed had other ideas." She smiled. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

xPANCAKEx
2008-06-11, 07:43 AM
Brother Denna

"well met - I am Brother Denna, proud servant of saint cuthbert. My companions and I all found ourselves together here when we took shelter from the storm. Do you know anything of this structure? Please do come in - but be careful if you see anything with wings for ears... just take my word for it."

RationalGoblin
2008-06-11, 02:39 PM
Gyron

"Good Tidings to you, Sara Thurston. I am Gyron, novice student of sorcery. It seems we all were planning to travel to Seawell. Like my priestly companion here said, we all found ourselves forced to work together, due to the storm, rats, and a strange creature that resembles a head with wings for ears. We defeated both the rats, and the later creature, and shortly afterwards, found you. And yes, caution would be advised. There might be even more terrifying creatures here."

greenstave
2008-06-12, 08:13 AM
Loiel

"Good day to you lady. As you've no doubt noticed, there is much danger here. This was not the sanctuary from the storm we expected. I hope your torch has not brought us unwanted attention. We had been heading back to one of the anti-chambers. I will scout ahead. Bones, perhaps you could join me in case there are traps to be had?"

With that, Loiel draws his sword, and continues, spotting for danger as he goes.

[roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-06-12, 08:18 AM
(( I'm here, just waiting for y'all to finish your introductions and actions. ))

The hallway to the north stretches deep into the hill, giving the impression that the structure is even larger than it may have appeared from the outside.

Caracol
2008-06-12, 12:32 PM
Bones

"I'm Bones, and between the rats, flappy ears, traps and that freakin storm outside, Im starting to think that this must the best day in my life."
says the elf. "At least, the company is not lackying."

The he goes trough the corridor, side-to side with Loiel, dagger and torch handed, looking for dangers or unusual things.

Spot [roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-06-13, 06:38 AM
The northern corridor is long and about ten feet wide. Even the keen-eyed Loiel sees it stretch out beyond the range of the torch. As you enter the hallway, you soon see what must have been the nest that the rats had lived in; now empty, it's just a pile of scraps of rags, filth, and the occasional bone.

The floor is a little rougher than in the other rooms and hallways, as if this part of the structure was less well-traveled when it was in use. Marks on the floor indicate that some type of cart may have been used once upon a time.

(( I'll take a a marching order from you at this time. ))

lord of pixies
2008-06-14, 10:00 PM
(((ill take first, that way i can take the brunt of the damage)))

xPANCAKEx
2008-06-15, 07:18 AM
Brother Denna

ooc
denna will play back stop - don't want anything gribbly sneaking up on the arcane pair.

also - denna will poke/sift any piles of rags/bones with his mace as he passes by to see if he finds anything of note/interest

Hesquidor
2008-06-15, 08:08 AM
Sara

Sara will walk just ahead of Brother Denna.

Caracol
2008-06-15, 08:15 AM
Bones

Bones will walk directly behind Grog, torch and dagger in hand.

greenstave
2008-06-15, 06:02 PM
Loiel

I guess that leaves Loiel in the middle. Sword in hand, looking around constantly for any threats that he might see before the others.

Duke of URL
2008-06-16, 08:11 AM
The long stone hall ends in a stone chamber furnished only with cracked, moldering tables on which lie rusted implements of iron. Rain falls into the middle of the room from a shaft in the ceiling that must run all the way to the top of the hill. From the bottom of the shaft dangles a rope, swinging slightly. A drain in the center of the floor allows the water to escape, but old, dark stains suggest that it was used to carry away other fluids long ago.

As Grog steps into the room, on the far side, two large humanoids spot the party from the opposite doorway, and making no attempt to parley, ready their weapons and move to attack.

Roll initiative.

Monster rolls: [roll0], [roll1]

Initiative order:

22 B - Bones
21 G - Gyron
20 2 - Hobgoblin #2
18 1 - Hobgoblin #1
17 D - Brother Denna
15 L - Loiel
9 S - Sara
4 I - Grog

Map (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pApovhCeRf6Q74aty_Y1FYg) (Red spaces indicate squares blocked by tables -- passable, but will cost double normal movement)

Caracol
2008-06-16, 08:15 AM
Another fight! This is the worst shelter EVER!

I'm kidding... I like fighting :smallwink:

Initiative: [roll0]

Bones
AC 16, Flat 12, Touch 14
HP 6/6

Bones drops his torch, sheates his dagger and pulls out his bow.

those are my declared action during this turn. I don't think I have enough time to attack tough, but if I do, just tell me so.

greenstave
2008-06-16, 09:15 AM
Loiel
HP: 7/8

Loiel quickly moves ahead, sword already drawn, and prepares for the battle.

Init:[roll0]
Move to square H10
Loiel prepares to strike at the first creature to get in his way.

Hesquidor
2008-06-16, 02:45 PM
Sara
AC: 12, Touch: 12, Flat: 10

Sara drops her torch and prepares to cast Magic Missiles at the nearest target.

[roll0]

xPANCAKEx
2008-06-16, 07:14 PM
Denna
HP : 8/9
AC: 15, Flat: 15, Touch: 9

initiative [roll0]

RationalGoblin
2008-06-17, 08:12 PM
Gyron

HP: 4/4 AC: 10 Touch, 10

Gyron draws his crossbow.

[roll0] I have Improved Init.

Duke of URL
2008-06-20, 08:05 AM
Rolling for Grog... [roll0]

Bones prepares for archery, as does Gyron. Meanwhile, the hobgoblins charge, delivering serious blows to Grog and Loiel.

Damage: Grog takes 3 points of damage, Loiel takes 6. To good news for you is that the hobbos take a -2 to AC for the charge until their next actions.

Updated Map (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pApovhCeRf6Q74aty_Y1FYg&hl=en)

Denna, you're next. You can move through teammates (but not charge), although you can't end your turn in the same square.

Loiel, obviously you aren't going to make the move, since they alrady came to you, but you can still attack if you like (and/or take a 5' step).

Sara, you can specify either target -- do you want to hit the closest, or the one (if only one) that looks worse off?

greenstave
2008-06-20, 09:18 AM
Loiel
HP: 1/8

I cannot access the map, so I'm going blind on this move.

Even bloodied, Loiel does not back down. He swings his short sword at the hobgoblin that attacked him, and then attempts to back off.

Att: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]
Crit: [roll2]

After attack, move 5' away if it does not provoke aoo. If it does, Loiel stays put.

ooc: Do I add my STR modifier to damage with my short sword? I did not, but if so, add +2 to the damage roll. Also, do you add STR modifier when confirming a crit?

Duke of URL
2008-06-20, 09:36 AM
There's nowhere you can 5' step that's away from the hobbo. You can step up to make room for a teammate, and 5' steps never provoke AoOs.

You do add your STR modifier to all melee weapon attacks. You confirm criticals using the exact same modifiers as the original attack, so yes, add your STR to hit there too.

Looks like you hit #2 for 3 points of damage.

xPANCAKEx
2008-06-20, 12:56 PM
Denna

seeing loriel take a heafty blow, denna runs behind to catch him as he staggers, a faint glow from his hands as he touches him

move to the side of Loriel - can't see the map right now, so can't give you a grid reference. Pick someone where fairly out the way. My whiffeling skills wouldn't be much use anyway :(

drop Summon Monster 1 for cure light wounds - cast it on loriel

cure [roll0] wounds

Hesquidor
2008-06-20, 03:25 PM
Sara

After watching Loiel receive a vicious blow Sara targets his attacker.

Map isn't working for me either. But, anyways I aim for the one Loiel's just hit. [roll0]

Sara then loads her crossbow.

Duke of URL
2008-06-20, 04:20 PM
Denna manages to keep Loiel off of death's door for the time being.

Between Loiel's glancing blow and the bolt of force, the second hobgoblin goes down.

Next up: Grog, then Bones, then Gyron

Duke of URL
2008-06-23, 09:21 AM
(( NPCing Grog for now ))

Grog swings his scythe, attempting to retaliate against the hobgoblin that charged him, but misses.

[roll0], [roll1]

*whiff *

Caracol
2008-06-24, 07:20 AM
Bones

AC: 16, Touch: 14, Flat: 12

Bones tries to move and take cover to get a good shoot: passing over the dead hobgoblin, he moves behind the nearest table and shoots an arrow at the attacker.

OOC: I make a 30 ft move to K11 (or K10 if I have to stop for the dead body), the shoot at 1. I think I have a range penality, but I don't really remember, but here's the Attack Roll: [roll0], modify it if is needed. Damage: [roll1]Also, I'm within 30 ft, and I have a sided position, so I think I have a ranged sneak attack: [roll2] damage.

Duke of URL
2008-06-26, 01:29 PM
(( NPCing Gyron ))

Bones' and Gyron's attempts at archery are best left undescribed, as arrow and bolt come nowhere near their marks. The remaining hobgoblin delivers a decisive strike into Grog, who manages to remain standing regardless.

Gyron: Rolled a 2, sorry
Hobgoblin: Natural 20 (and another nat 20 on confirm, second time that's happened today for me!), but only does 6 damage to Grog (4/13 hp left) due to low damage rolls.

Next up: Denna, then Loiel, Sara, Grog, Bones, and Gyron.

22 B - Bones
21 G - Gyron
18 1 - Hobgoblin #1
17 D - Brother Denna
15 L - Loiel
9 S - Sara
4 I - Grog

xPANCAKEx
2008-06-28, 12:11 PM
Denna
HP : 8/9
AC: 15, Flat: 15, Touch: 9

moving to support grog, the cleric touches him with a glowing hand

"move in, friends - surely a lone foe such as this could not withstand the rain of blows we can inflict upon it"

drop inflict light wound for cure light wound - heal grog

[roll0] = hp healed

greenstave
2008-06-29, 08:10 AM
Loiel
HP: 4/8

With Denna's assistance, Loiel was able to shake off the brutal blow of the hobgoblin. He moves into position and swings his sword against the remaining creature.

att: [roll0]
dmg: [roll1]
crit: [roll2]

Hesquidor
2008-06-29, 12:10 PM
Sara

Sara loads her crossbow and fires.

[roll0] [roll1]

Duke of URL
2008-07-03, 11:13 AM
(( NPCing Grog, again. If this keeps up I'll recruit a replacement. ))

Loiel and Sara both miss, but Grog, now fully healed by Denna's spell unleashes dwarven hell on the hobgoblin, slicing him pretty much head-to-toe with a brutal strike from his scythe.

Grog crits and confirms for 35 (8d4 + 16) damage (the hobbo had 6 hp). x4 multiplier for the overkill win!

Spoils:

Studded leather armor (x1, one other ruined) Light shield (x2) Short sword (x2) Javelin (x2) Heavy leather belt with brass studs and large buckles (unidentified)

50 XP each (the larger party is slowing XP a bit)

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-03, 12:21 PM
Brother Denna

"my word grog... If i'd know healing you would bring out such violence, i'd have done it long ago.

But if none of you have any objections i'd like to take these spears - i may have better luck with them than this mace which so far keeps failing me"

Hesquidor
2008-07-03, 01:46 PM
Sara

"Urgh..." Sara shudders. "Perhaps we should add Grog to things one should be wary of in the place. Still much better him then us."

greenstave
2008-07-07, 06:39 AM
Loiel

"I'm just happy he's on our side."

Loiel inspects the two short swords to see if either match or exceed his own. If so, he makes an exchange.

If not, he holds up the belt.

"Does anyone recognize one of these? I looks like a nice belt.

Hesquidor
2008-07-21, 11:56 AM
Sara

"I know a little about such trinkets. May I have a look?"

Sara closely examines the belt.

[roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-07-23, 04:24 PM
It's very finely made, and you believe you can spot the traces of magic on it.

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-05, 08:38 PM
denna

well, idon't know about the rest of you, but i suggest we get a move on - this places suprises are turning out to be more and more lethal by the minute

Duke of URL
2008-08-06, 07:19 AM
Your options are to return (south) back to the entrance chamber, head north up the passage, try to climb up the shaft (a closer look shows that there is a rope leading up), or wait in this room and see if anything happens.