PDA

View Full Version : Paper Mario!!!

Burley
2008-04-21, 10:36 AM
So, I bought the N64 version when it came out. I bought the GameCube version the day it released. I loved them both. Love love loved them. I just re-bought Thousand-Year Door for my GC, just because I like to.

So, in my on going dilemma of "Which NextGen console should I buy?", I find myself wondering how good the Wii version of Paper Mario was.

So, this thread is for my Friends in the Playground to discuss the beauty of all Paper Marios, the atrocities (if you can even imagine), and let me know how the Wii version was. (Please don't turn this into a debate over NextGen Consoles. This thread is for Paper Mario only.)

THANKS!!! ~Kisses and Hugs...Manly Kisses and Hugs~

AlterForm
2008-04-21, 11:24 AM
<3 Paper Mario

Haven't played the Wii game, though, just the first two.

I bought the first one on the Wii Shop channel, and it has aged surprisingly well. :smallbiggrin: I think I preferred TTYD, though; there's just something very satisfying with a hammer>style>Style!>STYLE>STYLE! combo.

http://www.uoregon.edu/~ncumming/papermario.jpg

obvious pun
2008-04-21, 12:23 PM
The hardest (and most fun) fight out of all of the games was against the Anti-Squad (3 Anti-Guys, fight by missing 3 questions asked by the second Bowser door in Bowser's castle). If I hadn't brought along those 2 repel gels, I would surely have failed. I wonder though, would lemon candies have stopped them like the one in the toy box?

Yeah, the games are great. I haven't actually played Super Paper Mario yet, though.

Edit: Also, my favorite part out of all of them was when you first go to penguin village in the first one.

bignate
2008-04-21, 01:55 PM
i have not played the old paper mario games so i cant compare them for you but i have played through super paper mario all the way to the end and can tell you about that.

i thought it was a great game. it is a good mix which is basically a 2-D platformer with some RPG aspects like gaining levels and having hitpoints and such. the game is very deep in its puzzles with you having to figure out the right combination who to be(mario, luigi, peach or bowser) and what pixel to use(they are little firends that float with you and give you special abilities.

i would have liked the boss's to be a little more challenging and the talking scenes are a little long winded but other then that it is a great game with tons of extra stuff to do other than the regular storyline progression.

Pteraden
2008-04-21, 02:24 PM
Super Paper Mario is a pretty good game, actually. To help you, I've broken down the (in my opinion) pros and cons.

PROSE:
It's Paper Mario
Good mix of platforming and rpg
Good storyline
Pretty fun and easy to play
Funny text
Chock-full of nostalgia
Pretty engaging puzzles

KHANS:
A bit too easy
Text can be pretty long winded, but not an overall problem if you like reading
Low-brow humor abounds (which again isn't bad if you like that stuff)
Little re-play value
It's kinda short

Overall, I liked it. I haven't played it since I've beaten it, though. I might play it again if I get bored with Brawl or Mario Kart Wii (this sunday!).

lemonhoney
2008-04-23, 10:23 PM
I LOVE the Paper Mario series. I know Super Mario RPG isn't exactly a Paper Mario, but that deserves some recognition too. <3

Anyway, I haven't played much of the first one for N64, but I have played and completed TTYD which was soooo much fun. My favourite parts would probably be... the whole Glitz Pit chapter, and the train chapter XD

The game is so cute and just has a style and charm to it that makes it really unique.

Icewalker
2008-04-23, 10:47 PM
I've heard the first two were excellent, and I have the new one on Wii, and didn't get into it too much. Cool idea, but I just didn't find it all that fun.

I think a semi-substantial part of it is that they COMPLETELY screwed up the first real boss fight, as it was so utterly unintuitive (giving hints that made it less likely for me to figure out what to do) that I spent about half an hour dying before I did the right thing by accident.

Right, jump on the back of the enemy who in all other cases but this one has the touch of death. Real clear, especially when the repeated hint was "Attack it's antenna!"

Gaelbert
2008-04-23, 10:57 PM
Super Paper Mario is good. I got it about a week ago, and have enjoyed it so far. However, Thousand Year Door has some big shoes to fill. I haven't played the first one, though. Super Paper Mario is less of an RPG and more of the classic platforming Mario. It's still good, so far, though.

Pinnacle
2008-04-23, 11:57 PM
Love all three games. Just replayed through the first two recently (although I didn't tackle TTYD Pit of 100 Trials yet..), and am almost finished with replaying Super Paper Mario.

You should know that Super Paper Mario is a lot different from the first two games.
There were some changes and additions for The Thousand Year Door (party members having their own HP and fighting as separate characters, stylish moves and the audience, etc.) but they had basically the same game mechanics.

Long-winded explanation of the basic mechanics:
Super Paper Mario mostly looks like an old 2-D platformer, but Mario learns the ability to "flip" and change the world into 3-D pretty early into the game--which is generally pretty cool. A lot of the worlds are designed to be very nostalgic of old Super Mario Bros. stages, and flipping to see them from a different angle is awesome most of the time.
Unlike the usual Mario and his partners from the first two games, this one has two types of party members: Heroes (of which Mario is one) with different abilities, and Pixls (weird little creatures that grant the hero a special ability). One of each is in play at any time, but you can switch between available heroes and Pixls. Plus Tippi, who is always on screen as long as she's in the party and takes over the role of tattler.
SPM is much more straight forward than other Paper Mario games. There are hidden things to go back and find, but it actually has specifically delineated levels and stages (8 Worlds with 4 stages each, just like classic SMB). It does have a small hub-world where you go between worlds, though.

This game also did away with separate character stats for something a little simpler (if less logical). You as a player/party have a certain amount of HP and swapping heroes doesn't change it. You can get knocked down to a few HP with Mario, then switch to Peach and die the first time she gets hit.
There isn't a RPG battle screen, you just fight on the normal adventure screen, although attacks still do certain amounts of damage to hit point totals. You gain points like in the old Super Mario Bros. games, and level up when you get certain numbers of points. Every other level your HP total increases by 5 or your damage for a normal attack increases by 1.

Comparing it to the first two is tricky since it's such a different style of game. I think I'd say I liked it as much as the first ones.

Bitzeralisis
2008-04-24, 12:09 AM
*hums different variations of the Mario theme song*

SMORG!

:smallbiggrin:

hylian chozo
2008-04-24, 09:04 PM
The Paper Mario series is definitely one of my favorites. Super Paper Mario was a break from the series but was still very fun and unique. Since you've played the first two I don't have to tell you it will get strange at some points. It also has a massive amount of nostalgic shout-outs to the other two games, look for them.

Also, Kolorado FTW!

Geno9999
2008-04-26, 11:06 AM
Man, do I love the Paper Mario series.
I have all three games (I didn't download Paper Mario because I had a working N64... then again, the N64 is hard on the thumbs.) and still working on beating the Flopside pit of 100 trails for the second time.
I like SPM the best because it is awesome on how it pulls off platform/rpg.
Of course if you play Zelda 2: AoL, You might see the how close they are to each other.

TheBoneSplitter
2008-04-26, 09:33 PM
Only played through TTYD up until the very last boss as she'd escaped my grasp of beating her by a hair. :smallsigh: Tis fun while it lasted, and awesome fun at that.

Forthork
2008-04-27, 10:21 AM
Super Paper Mario wasn't that great. I would not get a Wii just based on it. The game is short and easy, and the 2d-3d flip is generally bland. It is easily the weakest of thew series. If you do get a Wii, and can pick it up for $20-$30, it might be worth it.

Pinnacle
2008-04-27, 12:14 PM
Only played through TTYD up until the very last boss as she'd escaped my grasp of beating her by a hair. :smallsigh: Tis fun while it lasted, and awesome fun at that.

Why didn't you just go try it again? There's a save block right before her room, isn't there?

TheBoneSplitter
2008-04-27, 08:09 PM
Why didn't you just go try it again? There's a save block right before her room, isn't there?

I did save there, but I've exhausted every point to attempt to beat her. The ending cutscene takes up about 10 minutes of my time (including the time in where I get back to the point in where I lost) and she has so many unfair attacks... all I know was that I've tried everything that I could use up to that point, and it would have been such a long way back to town that I wasn't going to attempt to maybe go further down the Pit for a special item or badge... I simply messed up somewheres, and the game had unfortunately since been deleted... :smallfurious:

MeTheGameGuy
2008-04-28, 06:04 AM
I've only played the N64 one. Awesomeness in an envelope.... Hoping to get a Wii and play SPM soon though.