PDA

View Full Version : The World Ends With You

Skippy
2008-04-21, 11:47 AM
So, tomorrow is the release of this game, featuring KH Sora's evil twin, in a more fashionable suit.

Who is excited about this game? It looks awesome and the gameplay seems really hard to master...

Ranis
2008-04-21, 12:24 PM
What is it and what system is it for? Never heard of it.

Skippy
2008-04-21, 12:39 PM
It comes out tomorrow, for Nintendo DS.

Wiki has the answers. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Ends_With_You)

Khanderas
2008-04-23, 05:42 AM
According to the wiki, that I just eyed though, it is the same team that made Kingdom Hearts that made this, but I didn't really see any hints that KH and this had anything else to do with eachother.

Looks like a fresh take. Shame I do not have a DS.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-04-23, 07:25 AM
Game's been out a few days in Australia now, and picked up a copy today.

Sad to say it's mediocre at best. Maybe it's because I've only played it for a little under an hour, or could be because I've been playing the ZOMGoodness of Crisis Core, but I just can't seem to appreciate this game.

The controls are frustrating, especially when one of the "spells" has the same command as movement, which means when you try to dodge an enemy and instead you end up wasting an attack and take damage because you stand still like someone who likes to lick the windows on the short bus. Also, the story isn't exactly impressive, and the music seems like they heard about SMT: Persona 3's soundtrack and decided to ninja the idea. *Shrug* Ah well, I'll give it a go a bit more tomorrow before work, but so far...yawn.

DeathQuaker
2008-04-23, 07:26 AM
Does it have anything to do with the manga, "The World Exists for Me?"

Drascin
2008-04-23, 07:55 AM
Tried it. Didn't like it. I'm forgiving of most things, but horrible annoying controls top my list of things that I don't. Having spells mapped to the same control as moving is annoying as all get out, and having to pay attention to both screen at the same time (inputting button sequences in one of them, even!) is annoying and frustrating if you don't happen to be a chameleon.

Skippy
2008-04-23, 08:35 AM
Ah well. I loved it. Maybe I'm crazy as hell, but I loved the fighting concept. I didn't find it hard at all to master it, mainly because I don't really use the move command (all of my instructions are attacks), and as for the use of the upper screen, it is hard but not impossible. And that extra challenge makes it a more interesting game. Right now I'm at

The third day in the Joshua part. I hate that guy. I never lost a battle with Shiki but this guy is just useless.

Inhuman Bot
2008-04-24, 01:34 PM
YEah, I agree. It's pretty fun.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-04-24, 01:44 PM
Game's been out a few days in Australia now, and picked up a copy today.

OMG

It came out in Australia roughly the same time as it came out everywhere else?!

JabberwockySupafly
2008-04-25, 08:54 AM
{Scrubbed}

Skippy
2008-04-25, 09:15 AM
Careful! Someone call the firemen!!!

JabberwockySupafly
2008-04-25, 09:31 AM
Careful! Someone call the firemen!!!

I apologise for the above post (my above post, not radikal's, because that would just be plain silly for me to apologise for someone else's post) to any innocent bystanders and I am not trying to start a flame war.

Although, to keep this on topic, I did try to play the game a bit more, and while the story was intriguing, I just couldn't get past the controls. New DS games cost $70 AUD, and I can't justify spending that much on this game. I'll probably pick it up again when it hits the half-price mark or something. Like I said, I didn't hate the game, I just found it kind of... meh.
Ah well, I still have Pokemon, and Crisis Core. Gorilla Grod Bless The Import.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-04-25, 11:35 AM
Okay you two, be nice and maintain your pact or face erasure! :smallbiggrin:

As an aside, I would have titled this thread "The World Ends in the Playground", but that would have been confusing, so...

Artemician
2008-04-25, 12:25 PM
{Scrubbed}

{Scrubbed} I don't think this is one of them. He's just commenting on game distribution in Austrialia, or the lack thereof. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyhow, getting back on topic, this game looks pretty interesting. I might eveb want to consider buying it if I have time (although that's not looking very likely at the moment ><)

Eldritch_Ent
2008-04-25, 03:14 PM
All noise lives in fear of me and my "Natural Puppy" brand pins and clothing.

Which brands do YOU use?

JabberwockySupafly
2008-04-25, 05:46 PM
{Scrubbed} I don't think this is one of them. He's just commenting on game distribution in Austrialia, or the lack thereof. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyhow, getting back on topic, this game looks pretty interesting. I might eveb want to consider buying it if I have time (although that's not looking very likely at the moment ><)

If that's the case, then I apologise for my outburst. The way it looked to me was more of a sarcastic remark towards me. If I am mistaken, I am sorry and I am man-child enough to admit I am wrong and erase the offending post. Lack of sleep last night was making me really paranoid. Not trying to make an excuse, just trying to explain I don't usually Hulk out at misinterpretations.

On-Topic: I am giving the game another shot. I only really have today to give it a go, though, so I hope I get used to these controls... *glares at the stylus* WORK! Oh well, if I really can't get into it, I can always wait until KH:358/2 Days get released... which is a loooong time away. Anyone have any suggestions or tips on what psyches I should use?

As an aside regarding this game, I will say I absolutely love the art style. I don't know what it is, but the character and monster designs are well-detailed and the art style is quite unique.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-04-26, 06:10 AM
Mojotehch's quick advice guide for newbginners-

Spend your Scarletite on stickers that give you new abilities, namely the ones that increase Max Fusion level. Attack and Defense stickers are a bit of a waste.

Spend your first Orichalcum on that one Sushi Pin in Towa Records. I'd say it's the best of the lot. After getting that, start saving up for the bigger wallet.

Always fight at least one level lower than you really are. Double drop rate is nothing to sneeze at, and it only costs you 50 max hp.

Always try to wear pins you haven't mastered yet. Especially if they evolve. Generally, pins with very few or very short levels (such as healing bunny) evolve through mingle or "Downtime" experience. (Yes, there is a difference!) Longer evolving badges with offensive uses generally evolve through combat PP.

And always, ALWAYS, keep an eye on your pig icon. It's no big deal if you can't actually beat the big with what you got, but if you can the rewards are huge!

JabberwockySupafly
2008-04-26, 07:35 AM
Looks like my previous post was scrubbed, which is fine. I was being rather vicious and ignorant myself, and I am fine with that and can accept when I have offended people.

Now, on topic: I have given this game another chance, and after finally getting adjusted to the controls, I can completely agree that this game deserves the high rating and rave reviews the critics have given it. I guess I became too complacent on games that used the stylus as more of a gimmick than anything, and my stylus-fu was extremely rusty. I seriously rank this game a great deal higher personally than I did originally, and the soundtrack has grown on me a bit as well. A bit of a change-up music-wise would be nice, but I won't whinge too much on that front.

poleboy
2008-04-28, 01:57 AM
I was quite suspicious of it, because the box design seemed to appeal mostly to pre-teens. It did sound interesting, and I like it when developers try to move RPG's out of the somewhat tired fantasy frame, but I just had a bad gut feeling about it. Looks like I was right?

Skippy
2008-04-28, 10:39 PM
No. You're wrong. It is an awesome game. Hard to control, yes. I grant that. But the character design is really cool, the story is really original, the music is awesome, and despite being difficult, the way of playing is really original and gives an extra challenge. I'd highly recommend you to try it. Maybe borrow it from someone, give it a shot and judge after playing it. I don't think you'll be sorry.

The Extinguisher
2008-04-28, 10:56 PM
FMA wants. FMA wanted since he heard about it.

poleboy
2008-04-29, 01:15 AM
I'll give it a shot if I can find a cheap copy, then.

The Sandman
2008-05-02, 02:27 AM
Yeah, it's pretty amazing; I've been playing every spare moment I can get since I bought it Tuesday. One definite suggestion: set Shiki to auto at first. Then slowly get into the habit of using her. Once you actually do use her regularly, switch her to manual and never look back.

Oh, and the light puck is your friend. Thus far, my strategy has been to pretty much ignore whichever screen doesn't have it, and concentrate on sending back and forth as fast as possible. Once I get a bit better, I'll start trying to actually attack all at once, or purposefully build up Fusions.

I also tend to stay about 10 levels lower than I actually am. Basically guarantees money drops early on, which is nice. Also, take advantage of the fact that your digestion counter can't drop below six bytes to be constantly eating low-byte items that boost your bravery, like the ice-cream cones, once you've filled up on the high-byte ability boosts. Higher bravery means Neku can actually start wearing halfway-decent threads.

Also, as a question: do the yen pins evolve with downtime PP?

Cristo Meyers
2008-05-02, 07:52 AM
Ya know, I swore I wouldn't get any new games until I'd finished my already existing backlog, but I keep liking the look of this more and more since I saw the review on X-Play (though why exactly I was watching X-Play I have no idea...).

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-03, 12:25 PM
So, I played only a little bit over at a freinds. Does the entertainment value last long enough to make it worth it for you?

Skippy
2008-05-03, 02:26 PM
Yes, it does. I've been playing it since it came out, and I'm still loving it.

Joshua is a pain in the rear, and not nearly as cool, easy to use or useful as Shiki, but he still helps a lot.

And the story is awesome. The pin system is great. Everybody fear my J of the M pins!!!