PDA

View Full Version : Best Stratagies for Axis and Allies(classic)

Isolder74
2008-04-21, 02:09 PM
I'm an avid board gamer and have several copies of Axis and Allies. I even made my own WWII board game as part of a history project(got an A for including in game play making The Doolittle Raid possible).

What do you think is the best strategies and opening moves for the Axis and for the Allies. I alway use the Russia can't attack for 2 turns rule, FYI.

I can win playing just about any faction but I am best with USA or Germany.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-04-21, 03:21 PM
Germany rushes to get Africa and seal the Mediterranian, in order to teak G.-B. Japan attacks Russia from the east. If Russia tries to counter-attack Japan, Germany invade their capitals ASAP.

When Russia is out of the picture, Japan simply picks on the USA Western Coast to keep them out of the Atlantic war, while German finishes G-B.

If you still need help after that, I am not responsible

Isolder74
2008-04-21, 06:12 PM
For Germany it's very important to take out the British Fleet on the first turn. You then need to ferry as much stuff at you can to Africa to assist in the track over there. You can count on the USA Player landing something in Africa.

By the way, I really don't need play hints to win I was wondering what opening moves other players consider best.

Hzurr
2008-04-21, 06:28 PM
It's very simple. Take Australia first round, then put all your men on Siam and build up and build up...

:smalltongue:

snoopy13a
2008-04-21, 06:43 PM
For Germany it's very important to take out the British Fleet on the first turn. You then need to ferry as much stuff at you can to Africa to assist in the track over there. You can count on the USA Player landing something in Africa.

By the way, I really don't need play hints to win I was wondering what opening moves other players consider best.

Why not go all out against Russia? If the German player holds the Leningrad territory at the beginning of their turn, the game is essentially over.

If the Russian don't attack (which they should to give a buffer zone for Leningrad), the Germans can attack the Russian territory with troops from Finland, Eastern Europe and Ukraine. They can also bring in tanks from Germany and Southern Europe and ferry two infantry from either Germany or Western Europe via the transport. All the planes can be used. If the Germans win this battle then the Russians are in big trouble.

Lokey
2008-04-21, 07:23 PM
I much prefer Shogun or Risk with some rules changes. It takes so long to set up the board for a game that really puts you at the mercy of a few die rolls.

There's comp versions around, here's one I found quickly: http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki

Java so it's cross-platform, I grabbed the zip windows version and it looks ok.
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8213/blahoo6.th.png (http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8213/blahoo6.png)

Isolder74
2008-04-22, 02:13 PM
One good strategy for the British I've found if you can kill enough of the German aircraft attacking your fleet is to build up India. If you get lucky and keep your fleet then you can keep the Germans at bay in Europe. They can't afford to move out of Norway if you can just drop some guys there for instance. Even if you lose them the next turn those are guys not attacking USSR.

Using USSR and USA units in the Far east I can often get a Industrial complex up in India. Once I manage that UK gets fairly hard to beat. That of course assumes HOLDING India.

Lokey
2008-05-05, 05:56 PM
Rolled a few games of TripleA.

First: Low luck setting (add attack/defense values, divide by 6. That's how many hits you do, then roll a d6 against the remainder.) I don't want to talk about the freighter that sunk my battleship and plane lol.

Second: The AI is pretty bad.
Russia - well that's pretty straightforward. Doesn't do anything with its sub and transport though.
Britain - is ok. Builds too many tanks early, but isn't bad: cedes Asia, messes around a bit in Africa, mostly focussed on northern and western Europe. Clueless if Germany can occupy the water around it, then it's totally out of the game.
Germany - set up for a Russia hit. Doesn't do much in Africa, doesn't build transports.
Japan - Let's the US Pacific fleet go! Otherwise ok taking Asia then moving putting pressure on Russia.
US - Doesn't do much against Japan...and Japan is certainly harder to take than Germany.

Too much of the game comes down to first turn naval/air battles imo. With low luck...I'll need to try more things out. Undecided on the general opinions I've seen on the net about Axis needing a handicap if the Allies don't make big mistakes. Can see the points they're making, just haven't played enough to be sure.

Oh, with TripleA, you can get a 20 turn game done in about an hour. With the board...I doubt Germany's first turn would be over by then ;)

Edit: Yeah, AI is pretty weak with Axis, but I don't think I could have done that much better.
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4074/aaail0.th.jpg (http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4074/aaail0.jpg)

TheThan
2008-05-07, 01:19 PM
last time I played Japan took over the USA on turn 2 (well ok landed on turn two, captured it totally on turn 3). Ever since then I haven't had the urge to play it.

Lokey
2008-05-07, 04:29 PM
Why not go all out against Russia? If the German player holds the Leningrad territory at the beginning of their turn, the game is essentially over.

If the Russian don't attack (which they should to give a buffer zone for Leningrad), the Germans can attack the Russian territory with troops from Finland, Eastern Europe and Ukraine. They can also bring in tanks from Germany and Southern Europe and ferry two infantry from either Germany or Western Europe via the transport. All the planes can be used. If the Germans win this battle then the Russians are in big trouble.
It was a mistake for the WW2 Germans, and will probably be a mistake for you unless you either roll amazingly or the Allies do a couple of dumb things.

Currently I'm thinking Germany with extra tank in Africa (i.e. at least 5 bid for Axis and the Russian/German armistice rule) that can knock out the Allies' navies and take Karelia first turn can buy itself a little time. In that game I sent the Russian tanks east and grabbed the territory on the same sea lane as Japan. Also backed up the Americans in China with 2 infrantry, but had sent 2 planes on Pearl Harbor (maybe one is enough to keep the American air force + battleship from sinking your fleet).

But that's a lot of if-thens to write clearly. Also I missed a few things I could have done in that game (like forgetting to use Japan's and Britain's bombers well). Playing all sides gets complicated, plus I made some purchasing mistakes.

So while I'm all Axis and Allied out for a while, I can buy the arguments that the Axis are definitely toast in classic without the optional rules, and maybe with them.

Battala38
2010-07-01, 03:25 PM
You know There is a way to take russia (the capital) first turn if you dont take ukraine. My dad did it to me and i was like....... NOOOOO it is hard and rolls have to be right or you wont get it.... but if you do nexed turn if the UK isent right that can be taken as well. makeing for a quick 2 full round turn game