PDA

View Full Version : Computer Issues

Gurumon
2008-04-21, 07:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem. After downloading a file (which i assume now is a virus) I keep having problems. Whenever i try to look something up on Google using Firefox it brings up a promt that says

"you have chosen to open the file search which is a: application/octet-stream from http://google.com"

And it doesn't allow me to open the webpage. This only occurs when i use firefox and when i use Internet Explorer to open a Google search it normally works.

I also have issues opening certain webpages (this applies to both my firefox and IE) I have downloaded Spybot search and destroy in an attempt to solve the problem but it hasn't. Can anyone help me?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-04-21, 07:48 PM
1. Get yourself a free virus scanner (I know there are some out there) and do a full system scan. If you have to pay for it, then I recommend Symantec antivirus; if you get that just by itself, then it works wonderfully.

2: If your PC's are networked, then I recommend pulling the network cable - or - shutting off the Wireless card until the scan is done.

If the scan completes, and the errors still persist, then I would recommend reinstalling firefox. The file may have corrupted the browsing service in firefox.

If the problems -still- persist, then backup your files, and then do a format of the hard drive. If you have experience in that sort of thing, then it should be cake.

RandomLogic
2008-04-21, 07:52 PM
Trend Micro will do a free full scan over the internet last time I checked.

Personally I use AVG free and SpyBot Search&Destroy and AdAware to remove stuff.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-04-22, 02:20 PM
I would recommend a virus scan while de-networked, and reinstalling firefox.
That said,
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/linux_user_at_best_buy.png

wojonatior
2008-04-22, 02:31 PM
yea just reinstall firefox

if that dosent work just take two asprin and call me in the morning.
oh wait never mind.

Zeful
2008-04-22, 04:22 PM
If you run Windows XP then just use the System Restore feature.
Start>All Programs>Accessories >System Tools
and go back one week before the issues arrived, and then have the computer create a restore point every other week.
Just remember to back up anything you've done recently.