PDA

View Full Version : I know this is a really stupid question but...

Anon-a-mouse
2008-04-22, 06:16 AM
... what do you think Elan's vocal range is? I'm going to say countertenor. I imagine him sounding a bit like Alfred Deller.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-22, 06:18 AM
I don't have any evidence either way, but I'd assume he has quite a high voice due to his personality.

someonenonotyou
2008-04-22, 06:49 AM
no it really deep cause it would be really funny

Serpentine
2008-04-22, 06:51 AM
Castrato :smallamused:

Aulos
2008-04-22, 07:23 AM
Yes countertenor (countertenors are male singers in the mid-female range (mezzo-soprano))

Linkage (http://youtube.com/watch?v=bSwTmk32p5I)

Duaneyo1
2008-04-22, 08:23 AM
Tenor or counter tenor. Nale on the other hand would be a bass, because he is a villian.

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-22, 08:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjO_VXHxsRw :smallbiggrin: That high.

Greg
2008-04-22, 02:38 PM
A baritone, like this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU).

Seriously, I can just hear "Oh buddy Roy" in that voice :smallbiggrin:

Zeitgeist
2008-04-22, 03:16 PM
You're way too harsh on yourself. By no definition of the word stupid does this question fit.

Just a fun discussion.

I'm going with tenor. I'm not that skilled with musical terms, but I can't see him being any higher than tenor.

Lupy
2008-04-22, 03:32 PM
I'm guessing his voice sounds like it never cracked, counter tenor? that's my guess anyway. If anyone knows much about Oboe, I think his range is like that, (just below middle C too 2 and 1/2 octaves up for everyone else).

Aulos
2008-04-22, 04:07 PM
The oboe is in a soprano range (higher female voice). Soprano range counter-tenors do exists, but are very rare.

Kd7sov
2008-04-22, 04:11 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Greg.

Consider: unless the characters read each others' speech bubbles instead of hearing each other, he and Nale must sound very much like each other, or Nale would not have been able to impersonate Elan for so long. I, personally, have always "heard" Nale as baritone-bass, and Elan doesn't have to be especially high-voiced.

hamishspence
2008-04-22, 04:15 PM
we have had actor OOTS thread, how about a singer one? What singing voices sound right for the various members? Beginning with Elan and Nale.

David Argall
2008-04-22, 04:21 PM
Tenor or counter tenor. Nale on the other hand would be a bass, because he is a villian.

While we can assume an ability to change pitch by both, we are talking identical twins, where Nale successfully impersonates Elan. We are left with a base assumption that their voices are almost identical. Of course, Elan does so many weird things that the others may not even notice "him" using a different voice. But the closer we make the voices, the more reasonable the story becomes.

Chronos
2008-04-22, 04:29 PM
There was a fellow a while back (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2494572#post2494572) who produced some nice renditions of a few of Elan's songs. I think he was singing baritone, but I have a tin ear, so don't take my word for it.

Certainly, Elan should not sound in the least ridiculous or annoying when he's singing (at least, not by virtue of his voice... The words, maybe). He's got an 18 in Charisma, and about 17 ranks in Perform (Sing), which puts him well into the range where record companies would be falling over each other to sign him, and girls would swoon at the sound of his voice. Something squeaky or otherwise childish is right out.

Halvormerlinaky
2008-04-22, 06:35 PM
While we can assume an ability to change pitch by both, we are talking identical twins, where Nale successfully impersonates Elan. We are left with a base assumption that their voices are almost identical. Of course, Elan does so many weird things that the others may not even notice "him" using a different voice. But the closer we make the voices, the more reasonable the story becomes.

You're asking for reason? HERE? Are you kidding me:smallbiggrin:? That's like asking the crew of the Farscape for help.

Duaneyo1
2008-04-22, 09:43 PM

Seriously, I can just hear "Oh buddy Roy" in that voice :smallbiggrin:

So Elan is Rick Atsley? Seriously, Elan doesn't have to sing like Marvin Gaye for the girls to like him. Anyone remember Prince, Michael Jackson, Insync, Backstreet or Hanson?

Nale still sounds like this though: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ST_NBgJqlyA
complete with evil laugh.

Glome
2008-04-22, 10:00 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Chronos on this one. A 18 Charisma bard which woman fall over each other to meet is going to have a deep voice or at mid-ranged voice at worst. I just don't think woman would find someone with a high pitch voice quite as charismatic. Of course he's a Bard with lots of point in perform, so he should have a good range as well, but both his speaking and singing voice should have a little more bass than normal.

Wooter
2008-04-22, 10:05 PM
I say he sings like Roy Orbison. But I love Roy Orbison, so I suppose I'm biased in this matter.

Remirach
2008-04-22, 10:11 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Chronos on this one. A 18 Charisma bard which woman fall over each other to meet is going to have a deep voice or at mid-ranged voice at worst. I just don't think woman would find someone with a high pitch voice quite as charismatic.

How do you explain the popularity of Michael Bolton?

NENAD
2008-04-22, 10:18 PM
I've always heard him as high pitched, but not annoyingly so. Nale's voice is only slightly lower for me, so he could easily impersonate Elan.

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-22, 11:00 PM
Actually, I've been wondering to myself just how the various OotS cast members might sound... I'm glad I'm not the only person who wonders this sort of stuff...

Nerdanel
2008-04-23, 05:15 AM
Freddie Mercury was a countertenor. I think Elan's voice should be tenor or higher, which is perfectly compatible with singing really well.

Edna
2008-04-23, 02:52 PM
I've always "heard" Elan as a light, clear tenor. Maybe something like Andrea Bocelli: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVUHHW1tJYA

Edna

Chronos
2008-04-23, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I never said that Elan's voice couldn't be high-pitched, only that it wouldn't be annoyingly so.

Calinero
2008-04-23, 04:10 PM
My first thought is definitely tenor. However, since I can't sing tenor, I am changing my opinion to baritone. :smallbiggrin:

Duaneyo1
2008-04-23, 10:36 PM
I've always "heard" Elan as a light, clear tenor. Maybe something like Andrea Bocelli: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVUHHW1tJYA

Edna

Great Song, to bad I do not speak any Italian or I would now what he is singing about besides, with you.... ?

Maybe, if he is a tenor he sounds like Michael Crawford: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBSgAqEmiMM

I linked a Christmas carol, because Elan is likely to be afraid of phantoms ( even if they are singing in an opera. )

kabbor
2008-04-23, 11:14 PM
I'm afraid that I would make him a weak tennor, but in tune, good enough to avoid the label "cannot sing", but not by much.

Weird Al, maybe???

He certainly isn't a deep baratone/light bass singer like me, so I cannot give you a genuine rendition of 'O Buddy Roy', much as i like singing "Danny Boy". ("...you must find the place I'm lying, and you must stay an arvo there with me... " :smallamused: )

Corwin Weber
2008-04-23, 11:23 PM
Londonderry Air, (Danny Boy) is traditionally written for a tenor. Historically, tenors have always been sought after... so that fits the 'every woman swoons for Elan' theme.

That having been said.... to avoid accusations of bias I myself am a baritone and have always had a thing for contraltos. :D

(I've known too many sopranos.)

Callista
2008-04-23, 11:31 PM
No way somebody with a Perform (Sing) 18 is going to sound bad when they sing. Not even on a natural 1. What he really needs is Profession (Composer)... or else a good songwriter!

I agree with tenor, though.

monty
2008-04-23, 11:39 PM

I hate you so much.

On the topic of the thread, I assumed him to be somewhere in the upper baritone range, which also fits well with Nale's voice (leaves room for relatively high-pitched singing and a deep voice for villainous monologues).

In other words, he'd sound exactly like me. :smallbiggrin:

Blanth
2008-04-23, 11:39 PM
So Elan is Rick Atsley?

Elan would never give you up; run around, desert you.

That said I agree with an earlier post; a Bass/Basso singing Elan would be much more fun if his speaking voice was in the Soprano range.

Or better, if he normally sung Soprano but somehow managed to pull off the rendition of "Londonderry Aire" as a Bass.

Yeah. That'd make a few jaws drop wouldn't it?

/Adept Vocal Range training, maybe Elan has it?

Corwin Weber
2008-04-23, 11:40 PM
No way somebody with a Perform (Sing) 18 is going to sound bad when they sing. Not even on a natural 1. What he really needs is Profession (Composer)... or else a good songwriter!

I agree with tenor, though.

I'd say 'Buddy Roy' was a natural 20 on Profession (Composer.)

Morgan Wick
2008-04-25, 08:01 PM
Actually, I've been wondering to myself just how the various OotS cast members might sound... I'm glad I'm not the only person who wonders this sort of stuff...

How would V sound? It would have to be a voice that could be conceivably male or female.

I have a hard time hearing Elan saying juvenile things like "doo-doo head" in a really deep voice. I think Nale can conceivably have a more high-pitched voice than you think. Think Elvira, or a less screechy Gilbert Gottfried? I like Kabbor's suggestion of comparing Elan (and by proxy Nale) with Weird Al...

Draco Dracul
2008-04-25, 08:32 PM
How would V sound? It would have to be a voice that could be conceivably male or female.

I have a hard time hearing Elan saying juvenile things like "doo-doo head" in a really deep voice. I think Nale can conceivably have a more high-pitched voice than you think. Think Elvira, or a less screechy Gilbert Gottfried? I like Kabbor's suggestion of comparing Elan (and by proxy Nale) with Weird Al...

I think it would be funner because someone with a deep, smooth voice acted very childish. Alternatively Elan could have a childish spoken voice with a much deeper singing voice.

Lupy
2008-04-25, 10:10 PM
The oboe is in a soprano range (higher female voice). Soprano range counter-tenors do exists, but are very rare.

Thanks, I play oboe, but I don't know much about singing. :smallredface:

Wow, then what is piccolo? :smalleek: Sopranino? (I cannot spell those doggone italian words!)

Calinero
2008-04-25, 10:18 PM
I don't like the idea of Elan's singing voice being comically different, if only because that would ruin the seriousness of Buddy Roy. I think he should have a high speaking voice, and a relatively high singing voice to boot.

Grey Watcher
2008-04-25, 10:19 PM
I always figured Elan for a tenor. A light lyric specifically. Countertenor would, I think, be a bit exotic (even if it would fit his childlike pesonality). It's also the traditional fach for romantic leads and heroes (unless you go really far back and look at the baroque-era castrato roles).

Besides, if there ever were an animated version of OotS, I wanna play Elan! (Though I'm more of a heavy lyric, but it could still work.)

(And I meant to record my own rendition of "O Buddy Roy", but I never got around to it.)

monty
2008-04-25, 10:19 PM
Thanks, I play oboe, but I don't know much about singing. :smallredface:

Wow, then what is piccolo? :smalleek: Sopranino? (I cannot spell those doggone italian words!)

Piccolo is far above soprano. There's no human capable of singing that high (to my knowledge) so there's no vocal designation for that range.

Grey Watcher
2008-04-25, 10:30 PM

Edna

Y'see, I think Elan is a much better singer than Bocelli (I really, really, REALLY dislike Bocelli.)

Not necessarily Elan's usual speed, but how about a little Jerry Hadley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dt1KuYS6eg)?

dish
2008-04-25, 11:28 PM
I agree with those who think that this is not a 'stupid' question.

I also agree with those who hear Elan as a tenor. Not too low, not too high, just right.

Vella_Malachite
2008-04-26, 12:20 AM
Yeah, both Elan and Nale are probably a tenor, maybe Nale just a touch lower, but not by much.

V would be a deep alto, just in between the ranges of male and female.

Roy, definitely a touch lower than tenor.

Haley, high alto.

Durkon, bass.

Belkar, not sure.

Sabine, high alto/soprano.

Thog, bass. Definitely bass.

dish
2008-04-26, 01:44 AM
Can't Thog be basso-profundo?

Lupy
2008-04-26, 12:17 PM
Piccolo is far above soprano. There's no human capable of singing that high (to my knowledge) so there's no vocal designation for that range.

Thanks, hmm, I may have to go hit wikipedia now. :smallsmile:

Moriato
2008-04-26, 12:41 PM
I'd be willing to bet that whatever Rich's vocal range is, so is Elan's

Grey Watcher
2008-04-26, 08:26 PM
Yeah, both Elan and Nale are probably a tenor, maybe Nale just a touch lower, but not by much.

V would be a deep alto, just in between the ranges of male and female.

Roy, definitely a touch lower than tenor.

Haley, high alto.

Durkon, bass.

Belkar, not sure.

Sabine, high alto/soprano.

Thog, bass. Definitely bass.

If only I were a composer. Order of the Stick: The OPERA!

Let's see, how would I arrange such a thing?

OK, these are the voice types of an operatic version of OotS, not necessarily what I think each character sounds like when speaking.

Roy: Verdi baritone, I like the weight of a lower voice, but he is the hero. Let's give him some high notes.
Elan: lyric tenor
Haley: lyric soprano
Vaarsuvius: countertenor/mezzo-soprano (basically, a pants role, which are often taken by countertenors these days)
Durkon: Bass? Character baritone? Perhaps even a character tenor?
Belkar: Character tenor actually seems just about right for him. Largely because I can't picture him doing much more than running around screaming threats.
Nale: Tenor, probably the same range as Elan, but I'd use different compositional ideas to differentiate them. Lots of long lines for Elan, a more staccatto feeling for Nale.
Thog: Basso-buffo. 'Nuff said.
Sabine: In the grand tradition of Carmen, Maddelena, and countless other operatic seductresses, she's a contralto.
Samantha: coloratura soprano. She's a diva.

That's about all I can think of for now....

Lupy
2008-04-26, 08:39 PM

Let's see, how would I arrange such a thing?

OK, these are the voice types of an operatic version of OotS, not necessarily what I think each character sounds like when speaking.

Roy: Verdi baritone, I like the weight of a lower voice, but he is the hero. Let's give him some high notes.
Elan: lyric tenor
Haley: lyric soprano
Vaarsuvius: countertenor/mezzo-soprano (basically, a pants role, which are often taken by countertenors these days)
Durkon: Bass? Character baritone? Perhaps even a character tenor?
Belkar: Character tenor actually seems just about right for him. Largely because I can't picture him doing much more than running around screaming threats.
Nale: Tenor, probably the same range as Elan, but I'd use different compositional ideas to differentiate them. Lots of long lines for Elan, a more staccatto feeling for Nale.
Thog: Basso-buffo. 'Nuff said.
Sabine: In the grand tradition of Carmen, Maddelena, and countless other operatic seductresses, she's a contralto.
Samantha: coloratura soprano. She's a diva.

That's about all I can think of for now....

Genius! This is so much better than the movie I'm making. Even if you aren't making it. Genius.

EDIT: This isn't a dumb question, I wish I'd thought of it.

Edna
2008-04-27, 12:39 AM
Y'see, I think Elan is a much better singer than Bocelli (I really, really, REALLY dislike Bocelli.)

I'm not impressed by Bocelli's singing, either, but he has the basic tone quality I was thinking of for Elan. (Actually, I do know a tenor who sounds just like Elan should, but I doubt he's on YouTube :-) ) And I can see Elan not singing perfectly--it's that 18 Charisma that helps carry his performances.

Edna

lord of kobolds
2008-04-30, 07:01 PM
I'm guessing his voice sounds like it never cracked, counter tenor? that's my guess anyway. If anyone knows much about Oboe, I think his range is like that, (just below middle C too 2 and 1/2 octaves up for everyone else).

quite the opposite, his voice wold crack every other word, so that it is impossible to figure out his voice range, creating yet another unsolvable mystery.

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-30, 07:04 PM
Man, Grey Watcher, I really want to see an OOTS opera now.

Serpentine
2008-05-01, 12:57 AM
Piccolo is far above soprano. There's no human capable of singing that high (to my knowledge) so there's no vocal designation for that range.There aren't any castratos, either, any more. But I don't think anyone noticed when I suggested that :smallfrown:
ow, my humorous

Kami2awa
2008-05-02, 02:23 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Chronos on this one. A 18 Charisma bard which woman fall over each other to meet is going to have a deep voice or at mid-ranged voice at worst. I just don't think woman would find someone with a high pitch voice quite as charismatic. Of course he's a Bard with lots of point in perform, so he should have a good range as well, but both his speaking and singing voice should have a little more bass than normal.

Don't know, I've always imagined him as simply well-spoken with neither an especially high or low voice. I imagine Nale as similar but different because he's so self-satisfied, and this would reflect in his voice (much more patronising, for example).

Manga Shoggoth
2008-05-02, 02:46 AM

For some reason I am assailed with images of Miko or Sabine singing Der Hölle Rache (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_H%C3%B6lle_Rache_kocht_in_meinem_Herzen).

The vengeance of Hell boils in my heart,
Death and despair flame around me!

OK. The rest of the aria doesn't fit well, but boy does it sound good in German.