PDA

View Full Version : This week's edition of Pimp My Crusader

SamTheCleric
2008-04-22, 07:23 AM
Here's what I have so far...

Human Crusader, Level 12
Starting Stats: Str 15, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 14
(+3 from levels into Str, so 18 Str at 12th level)
Stats after Items: STR 22 DEX 16 CON 16 INT 8 WIS 10 CHA 14

112 HP
AC 26 (+3 Dex, +10 Armor, +3 Shield)

Feats:
Stone Power, Extra Granted Maneuver, White Raven Defense, Clarion Commander, Combat Reflexes, Robilar's Gambit

Wields: +2 Guisarme and +1 Spiked Gauntlet. Wears +2 Mithral Full Plate and has a +1 Animated Steel Shield

Stances: Martial Stance, Bolstering Voice and Thicket of Blades
Maneuvers Known: Crusader's Strike, Defensive Rebuke, Revitalizing Strike, Divine Surge, Law Bearer, Rallying Strike, Elder Mountain Hammer, Irresistible Mountain Strike, Tactical Strike, White Raven Strike

88,000 gp to spend

+2 Mithral Full Plate - 14500
+1 Animated Heavy Steel Shield - 9170
+2 Guisarme - 8309
+1 Spiked Gauntlet - 2305
+2 Vest of Resistance - 4000
+4 Belt of Giant Strength - 16000
Minor Cloak of Displacement - 24000
+2 Amulet of Health – 4000
Steadfast Boots – 1500
Bracers of Opportunity – 2300
Masterwork Composite Longbow Mighty [+6] - 1000
Arrows [20] – 1
Masterwork Potion Belt – 60
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds x2 – 600
Oil of Bless Weapon - 100
Potion of Protection from Evil – 50
Potion of Shield of Faith +2 – 50
Standard Adventuring Kit – 15
-Backpack
-Belt Pouch
-Bedroll
-Flint and Steel
-Hempen Rope (50 ft)
-Sunrods (2)
-Trail Rations (10 days)
-Waterskin

40 gp left

-

How can I make this just a little bit better? I will be the support melee, using the rallying strike to help out with healing and provide some good battlefield control with my reach + thicket of blades.

Armads
2008-04-22, 07:35 AM
No White Raven Tactics?

Nebo_
2008-04-22, 07:35 AM
Books allowed? When you say +3 into Str from levels, does that mean it started at 12 or that you're up to 18? What are the other party members?

Either way, get a strength boosting item.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-22, 07:38 AM
White Raven Tactics is a possibility, What level maneuver is it... and what would I replace?

Nebo: We're allowed all books save for the Setting Specific books. the +3 from levels will bring my Strength up to a 18.

Party Members: Fighter 12, Ranger/Rogue/Scout/Highland Stalker [melee skirmish], Marshal/Chameleon, Warlock/Cleric/Eldritch Theurge, Wizard/Geometer/Fate Spinner

Hmm, +4 Strength Item is 16k. Not a bad investment.

Nebo_
2008-04-22, 07:47 AM
If you can get Sandstorm into the allowed books, dump the heavy shield for a Hide shield. Don't bother with a +2 weapon, instead get the cleric to put a greater magic weapon spell on a +1 weapon with special abilities.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-22, 07:49 AM
What's a Hide Shield? Never seen that before.

What +1 Ability would you recommend? I thought about Keen... but that almost feels like a waste.

Keld Denar
2008-04-22, 07:54 AM
My first suggestion hinges on party makeup. Do you have a cleric or wizard (or applicable substitute) capable of casting Magic Vestiments or Greater Magic Weapon? If so, consider changing the enhancement bonus on your equipment from +3 to +1 with 2x +1 equivs or 1x +2 equiv. For your weapon, I suggest Wounding, Collision, or Holy (all +2 equiv) and for your armor, I'd suggest Energy Immunity (+2) to make up for your lowish reflex save, or Death Ward (+1) to protect against things that involve negative energy that don't allow saves (see Shadows and Enervation/Wights).

Also, no WRT???? ???? ???? (More ??? for added emphasis!)

Seriously, Crusader's 3 schools are woefully short on swift action abilities, and WRT is one of the best. With the EGM feat, you are refreshing every 3 rounds, so using 1 swift action and 1 standard action maneuver each round is VERY possible, if you plan right. That is, unless you have something better to do with your swift action? Its a level 3 WR that requires 1 WR known (which you cover with Bolstering Voice).

One other thing you might want to check on are the Prereqs for Robilar's Gambit. I'm about 73.3% sure you don't qualify for it because you are 1 feat short (Combat Expertese?) and your BAB isn't high enough (+14 I think?).

Also, check into the Stone Dragon Maneuvers that grant you DR. They synergize really will with Steely Resolve. The way I see it, is that DR gets checked twice, once when it initially hits, and once when your delayed damage pool empties. That makes those strikes very appealing.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-22, 07:58 AM
The wizard could probably cast Greater Magic Weapon... but sadly, our cleric is more warlock than cleric... still getting his casting up.

Ok Ok, I'll get WRT... give up something else :)

Robilar's Gambit pre-reqs are Combat Reflexes and BAB +12, so I take it as my 12th level feat :smallbiggrin:

Lord Tataraus
2008-04-22, 08:24 AM
Well, I said this in the other thread, but I'll say it again. Drop the armor to +2 and get a Ring of Blinking - 20% miss chance is far superior to AC, especially a measly +1. For the weapon, I'd go with +1 Collision Guisarme or a +1 Holy Guisarme if you fight lots of evil creatures.

Keld Denar
2008-04-22, 08:24 AM
If you want to be a bit more speedy, Boots of Speed (12k) are nice, but since you'll be primarily making standard action strikes, I'd suggest Steadfast Boots (MIC). They give a stability bonus and always treat you as set for a charge. Set for a charge is considered a readied action, which means you can set your Power Attack (if you had it) or your Stone Power on it, if you haven't already. This can be handy since the set will be resolved prior to the AoO caused from moving through your threatened area. This isn't as big for you since Stone Power doesn't have a per hit effect like PA does, but still nice if you need the temps and haven't attacked yet this round (typically the case when you get charged).

If you don't get either of those, you CAN'T go wrong with 2-3 sets of Anklets of Translocation. They will save your hind end 2x per combat and multiple times per day. They are really nice with a reach weapon since you can blink back on your turn and force your opponent to move through your threatened squares again.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-22, 08:25 AM
Well, I said this in the other thread, but I'll say it again. Drop the armor to +2 and get a Ring of Blinking - 20% miss chance is far superior to AC, especially a measly +1. For the weapon, I'd go with +1 Collision Guisarme or a +1 Holy Guisarme if you fight lots of evil creatures.

What about a minor cloak of displacement instead of the ring of blinking? I dont want to have a mischance against my enemies at all times too :)

Lord Tataraus
2008-04-22, 08:36 AM
(I just realized the Ring of Blinking grants a 50% miss chance). The ring is command-word activated, thus you only need a free action to turn it on and off. So, you turn it off right before attacking and on afterwards. Of course if the opponent gets AoOs against you during that time it kind of sucks, but it is still pretty effective. I know my group houserules away the 20% miss chance on your attacks. Alternately, I think Ghost touched weapons work while your etheral so you could just get that enhancement and not worry about it. If you don't want to fool around with all that, go with the cloak (I forgot about that one :smallredface: )

SamTheCleric
2008-04-22, 08:42 AM
since you'll be primarily making standard action strikes, I'd suggest Steadfast Boots (MIC).

Do you happen to know how much the Steadfast Boots are?

Yeah, I'll tack on the Minor Cloak of Displacement until I can talk with the DM about the ring of blinking and how effective it'd be.

Keld Denar
2008-04-22, 09:07 AM
(I just realized the Ring of Blinking grants a 50% miss chance). The ring is command-word activated, thus you only need a free action to turn it on and off. So, you turn it off right before attacking and on afterwards. Of course if the opponent gets AoOs against you during that time it kind of sucks, but it is still pretty effective. I know my group houserules away the 20% miss chance on your attacks. Alternately, I think Ghost touched weapons work while your etheral so you could just get that enhancement and not worry about it. If you don't want to fool around with all that, go with the cloak (I forgot about that one :smallredface: )

Um....Command word activation items are all Standard Actions unless otherwise noted. Since a Ring of Blinking doesn't notate otherwise, it is a standard action to activate, and Blink is a dismissable (D) spell, so to dismiss it prematurely, it requires a standard action (read PHB/DMG sections on activating magic items and dismissing spells for more details).

A Ghost Touch weapon will not help you either, since Ghost Touch refers only to incorporiality, rather than etherealness. Where this gets confusing is when dealing with manifesting ghosts which are ethereal when not manifesting and incorporial when manifesting.

TTBoMK, no effects extend from the ethereal plane into the prime. Lots of effects extend from the prime to the ethereal (force effects, transdimensional spells, etc), but the ethereal doesn't like to reciprocate.

The feat Pierce Magical Conceilment allows the user to ignore miss chance due to spell based effects (the miss chance from Blink qualifies). Its very feat intensive (Mage Slayer + Blindfighting + PMC) and results in a net -8 caster levels, making it a poor choice for anyone who has even 1 caster level.

EDIT: Check Bunko's Bargin Basement over on CharOp for Steadfast Boots, but I'm pretty sure they clock in at about 1.8k gold.

Lord Tataraus
2008-04-22, 09:10 AM
Do you happen to know how much the Steadfast Boots are?

1400gp, those are pretty good especially since the Guisarme doesn't have the ready vs. charge quality.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-22, 09:14 AM
That's not a bad price at all.

Swooper
2008-04-22, 09:21 AM
Your +2 Mithral Full Plate is 150gps too expensive. Masterwork is included in the mithral. I know this because I bought the exact same item for my most recently created character :smalltongue:

SamTheCleric
2008-04-22, 09:26 AM
Your +2 Mithral Full Plate is 150gps too expensive. Masterwork is included in the mithral. I know this because I bought the exact same item for my most recently created character :smalltongue:

Sweet, thanks for the tip. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2008-04-22, 09:33 AM
~4k gold left to spend? +2 Con neck. Especially if you are going with RG, you want LOTS of HP. This will land you an extra 12 now, with more to come. Upgrade to +4 as money rolls in. Its what you really need.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-22, 09:37 AM
I lose out on the boots... but my HP will be 112. That's not a bad purchase at all.

Now... what do I replace maneuvers wise to get WRT? I don't have my book here so I don't know what level it is compared to the other things I currently have.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-22, 05:18 PM
WRT is the best 3rd level maneuver in the game. Don't use it on yourself, use it on the Wizard who wants to throw out another SoD this round.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-22, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I'm going through the maneuver process again to try and get a little variety.

The "must haves" are Revitalizing Strike, Rallying Strike and White Raven Tactics.

{table]Level | Stance | Maneuver | Replaces
1 | Martial Spirit | Crusader's Strike, Vanguard Strike, Charging Minotaur, Douse the Flames, Leading the Attack |
2 | Bolstering Voice | |
3 | | Mountain Hammer |
4 | | Foehammer | Vanguard Strike
5 | | White Raven Tactics |
6 | | Revitalizing Strike | Douse the Flames
7 | | Divine Surge |
8 | Thicket of Blades | White Raven Strike | Leading the Attack
9 | | Law Bearer |
10 | | Elder Mountain Hammer | Mountain Hammer
11 | | Rallying Strike |
12 | | War Leader's Charge | Charging Minotaur[/table]

SamTheCleric
2008-04-22, 06:38 PM
Hmm. Bracers of Opportunity sound perfect... +2 to all opportunity attacks... can make 2 extra AoOs per day. Only 2300 gp.

Altered the equip to be:

+2 Mithral Full Plate - 14500
+1 Animated Heavy Steel Shield - 9170
+2 Guisarme - 8309
+1 Spiked Gauntlet - 2305
+2 Vest of Resistance - 4000
+4 Belt of Giant Strength - 16000
Minor Cloak of Displacement - 24000
+2 Amulet of Health – 4000
Steadfast Boots – 1500
Bracers of Opportunity - 2300

1916 gp left

Blue Paladin
2008-04-23, 12:54 PM
If I may make some suggestions to your maneuver progression:

At level 2, take Leading the Charge instead of Bolstering Voice. Bonus to Will is cool and all, but they're morale bonuses, which come cheap from a multitude of sources. Since you're planning to take War Leader's Charge at 12, wouldn't it be nice to add an extra 33% bonus damage? +47 instead of +35, and that number only goes up.

At level 4, take Shield Block instead of Foehammer. You already have the (superior) Mountain Hammer, and you will save an ally (probably more than once) with your out-of-the-blue +7 to AC. Also, I think you've got no Counters or Boosts at this point, and you specifically wanted more options.

At level 8, consider Covering Strike instead of White Raven Strike. You've already given up Douse the Flames, and Covering Strike is a superior version by far (it's also a boost instead of a strike). This one maneuver also shuts down a Robilar's build cold, let alone the hydra family. Also, while White Raven Strike can help your Rogue/Scout with sneak attack, it doesn't affect his skirmish requirements, so your party may benefit from White Raven Strike less than you might think.

Also at level 8, I think you should give up Crusader's strike instead. Take a look at the difference between Vanguard Strike and Leading the Attack, and keep one of those around. I know LtA is a morale bonus, and if VS is unnamed that makes it relatively more valuable. However, I can't remember if the language of VS is specifically "adjacent target", which would make it worthless to your reach build. In any case, I think handing out free +4 to hit is worth more than minor healing (especially now that you have a superior healing maneuver).
--------------------------------
For the future, here's some more recommendations; I haven't included stances, because I'm AFB, but I have the maneuvers in a Excel sheet here.

Level 13: Shield Counter. A defensive counter for you personally. Add injury to insult too, with a free attack.
Level 14: Clarion Call. Clear the way with a Covering Strike the previous round, and this lets your whole party instantly re-position (or if they're already in position, lets them attack again). I would suggest dropping Law Bearer for this, since the benefits for that maneuver are target-dependent and variable, plus your War Leader's Charge is probably better than Law Bearer anyway.
Level 15: White Raven Hammer. Stun with no save? YES please!
Level 16: Greater Divine Surge. Conditionally more damage than the lesser version, and if you combine with the maneuver from next level, significantly more. I would probably drop Revitalizing Strike at this point; it only heals one target, and that'll be especially moot after your next maneuver...
Level 17: Strike of Righteous Vitality. Heal. Nuff said.
Level 18: War Master's Charge. Drop the lesser War Leader's Charge and you're good to go.
Level 19: Mountain Tombstone Strike. 2d6 Con damage is nothing to sneeze at. It's just that Righteous Vitality is too good, and level 18 let's you drop the lesser charge maneuver for the bigger one.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-23, 01:02 PM
Wow. That's a lot of good, solid advice... thank you. I'll have to pick it apart tonight and re-do my maneuver selection... but you make a ton of great points.

That is, assuming I can finagle it to work with pre-reqs at the right time :smallbiggrin:

Cuddly
2008-04-23, 01:28 PM
To save the gps and boost your defense-
Put +1 defending spikes on your shield or armor.
Drop your weapon &armor enhancements to +1, and buy a pearl of power 3 (9,000 gp) and a pearl of power 4 (16,000 gp).

Then let the party casters use them, so long as they agree to buff your shield, weapon, armor, and spikes. This investment goes a long ways, since you can load your weapon up with cheap, cool +1 enhancements, while the casters' buffs scale with level. In the end, you pay only 9k for a +5 bonus.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-23, 07:30 PM
BluePaladin - Ok, after reading through your suggestions... I'm adopting them all. Especially keeping vanguard strike +4 untyped bonus to melee and ranged attacks for all allies until the start of my next turn is -phenomenal-.

Cuddly - Sadly, I dont think we have a cleric capable of casting magic vestment and a decent caster level. While those are good suggestions, I don't want to have to rely on someone else entirely (especially if they are out for a session)... I am willing to make the guisarme a +1 <something>, if anyone has suggestions for a modifier that would fit well in this build.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-23, 07:32 PM
Pshaw. No Stone Power and Lady's Gambit? In the words of the Encyclopedia Dramatica:

Your doin it wrong!

SamTheCleric
2008-04-23, 07:34 PM
... But... but... I have stone power and robilar's gambit...

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-23, 07:54 PM
Not Robilar's. Lady's. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61566&highlight=lady%27s+gambit)

Perhaps the ultimate crusader feat. Take it, mix with Stone Power, and you have a truly incredible guy.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-23, 07:56 PM
Sadly I can't use Dragon mag stuff... but that is a great feat :smallbiggrin:

Blue Paladin
2008-04-24, 10:34 AM
Wow. That's really gratifying when someone takes your advice, but all of it? I'm blushing! :smallredface: I'm hardly an expert, but I've made a few dozen martial adepts, so I like to think I've got a good handle on it. I'm glad I could help.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-24, 10:37 AM
Wow. That's really gratifying when someone takes your advice, but all of it? I'm blushing! :smallredface: I'm hardly an expert, but I've made a few dozen martial adepts, so I like to think I've got a good handle on it. I'm glad I could help.

What is your opinion on Defensive Rebuke? I think it synergizes well with Robilar's. Attack me.. you provoke. Don't attack me... you provoke.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-24, 10:51 AM
Now, what you need is damage over time. You have to force your enemy to attack or lose because of DoT, so anybody have any ideas for that?

Keld Denar
2008-04-24, 11:00 AM
Eh, BluePaladin's advice is VERY solid. I'd situationally switch the order of MTS and WLC at 18 and 19 respectively, but that's just me. 2d6 con means a lot of HP damage to the tune of 1hp/(HD*con/2). Against big stuff with 20+ HD, this means an average roll of ~7 con or 80 free damage on top of your weapon strike and jazz. Sure, it doesn't pack the stun that WLC has, but it doesn't require friends as well. If you max it out, 12 con is 120 hp lost on top of weapon damage, which is pretty nice.

For your Glaive, I'd recommend +1 Collision (MIC) for a flat +5 weapon typed damage per hit at the price of a +2 modifier. Not quite as high as say....Holy or a combo of Flaming/Frost (avg 2 points less) but you dont' have to worry about resistances, and it helps you overcome DR (not that you really need it with SD maneuvers). You don't really need things like Holy to help overcome DR (although adamantine is great to resist sunders) so stacking flat damage is great. As another upgrade to that, Visious adds 2d6 untyped damage for a +1 equiv, and since you'll be popping off healing maneuvers every 3 rounds or so, the 1d6 backlash isn't too hurtful.

Frosty
2008-04-24, 11:32 AM
I've got a few questions since my crusader thread is not being answered right no for some reason.

1) Power Attack: worth it or not for crusader?
2) Bracers of Opportunity: Isn't it +2 max AoOs per round, not per day?
3) Can you Shield Counter if you're not holding the shield (shield is animated)?
4) Should Crusaders max out on AC? If so, wouldn't Robilar's Gambit be counter-intuitive?

SamTheCleric
2008-04-24, 11:36 AM
The way I read the Bracers of Opportunity... they provided +2 on attack rolls during all attacks of opportunity... and if you had combat reflexes, it let you make 2 extra AoOs per day. I may have interpreted it wrong.

Frosty
2008-04-24, 11:38 AM
That doesn't make sense, because there is no limit on the max number of AoOs you can make per day. There is only a limit per turn, which is what the bracers help with.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-24, 11:46 AM
you can take an attack of opportunity granted to you by an opponent, even if you have already reached your normal limit of attacks of opportunity in the round. This ability functions two times per day.

That's the last couple lines from the book. The item is in the MIC.

Frosty
2008-04-24, 12:02 PM
Then the bracers are a lot less powerful than I gave them credit for. Still, they're probably worth it.

EDIT: If you rolled stats like this, how would you allocate them? 18, 10, 13, 10, 17, 14

SamTheCleric
2008-04-24, 12:14 PM
I like them more for the +2 to attack on -all- attacks of opportunity... since I plan on taking quite a few of those. The extra 2/day are just gravy.

Darrin
2008-04-24, 12:23 PM
I've got a few questions since my crusader thread is not being answered right no for some reason.

1) Power Attack: worth it or not for crusader?

There are very few instances in D&D where Power Attack is not worth it. Combining it with Steely Resolve is a nice way to offset the penalty from Power Attack.

2) Bracers of Opportunity: Isn't it +2 max AoOs per round, not per day?

The bracers allow you to make an AoO when you've exceeded the number of AoOs you may make on your turn. The bracers can be activated this way as an immediate action twice per day.

3) Can you Shield Counter if you're not holding the shield (shield is animated)?

Hmm. A bit of a puzzler... but based on the fact that you still take armor check and ASF penalties for wielding the shield, this suggests that the shield is still following and/or restricting the movement of your arm. So I'd probably allow it.

4) Should Crusaders max out on AC? If so, wouldn't Robilar's Gambit be counter-intuitive?

High AC is always good, but maxed out? No. One of their primary class features (Steely Resolve) requires them to take damage. A high AC would make Steely Resolve less effective. Also, Crusaders are one of the few classes in the game that can combine attacking and healing in the same turn. Thus, they can mitigate HP loss and keep attacking without wasting a turn on cure spells. Maxing out your AC could mean your self-healing abilities are going to be wasted. A Crusader is more likely to benefit from maximizing offense rather than defense.

Frosty
2008-04-24, 12:23 PM
I like them more for the +2 to attack on -all- attacks of opportunity... since I plan on taking quite a few of those. The extra 2/day are just gravy.

Oh sure the +2 on all AoOs is great, especially for a lockdown crusader. My initial thoughts on my stat distribution is

18 str, 14 dex, 17 con, 10 int, 10 wis, 13 cha

But I may switch cha and int if I want more skill points and possibly go into Improved Trip.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-24, 12:36 PM
On PA: Look at the feat I posted. Check the requirements. End of debate.

Frosty
2008-04-24, 01:12 PM
On PA: Look at the feat I posted. Check the requirements. End of debate.

We can't use Dragon Magazine stuff.

What do you think of this for feat choices?

Flaw: Iron Will (iirc it and Endurance are prereqs for Indomitable Soul)
Flaw: Endurance
Human (if I'm human): That feat in PHB2 that let's you use your Con instead of your Wis modifier for Will saves.
1: Combat Reflexes
3: Stand Still
6: Extra Granted Maneuver
9: Power Attack
12: Robilar's Gambit
15: Indomitable Soul (I hate failing Will saves, and I can't depend on getting a Mindblank)

Equipment includes Cloak of Resistance +5, one of those vests that grant DR 3/ <a damage type>, A spiked chain, mithril breastplate, bracers of opportunity, boots that let me fly, and stat boosters.

I wonder if it'd be worth it to play a Warforged Crusader. Lots of immunities. I can't wear armor though. I guess I can always just not care too much about my armor class.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-24, 01:15 PM
"That PHBII feat" you mentioned, steadfast determination, means you CANNOT fail a Will save on a one. With high CON and a cloak of resistance, you'll make just about every save. Is that what you're looking for?

SamTheCleric
2008-04-24, 01:18 PM
Frosty... you didnt list proficiency with the spiked chain. That may be important... :smallwink:

Frosty
2008-04-24, 01:27 PM
"That PHBII feat" you mentioned, steadfast determination, means you CANNOT fail a Will save on a one. With high CON and a cloak of resistance, you'll make just about every save. Is that what you're looking for?

Yes, Steadfast determination. Actually it says I can't fail a FORT save on a natural 1. And it also says I get my Con mod to my Will saves.

the question is, is it worth it to get that feat?

And yeah, i'll need to switch out one of my feats for EWP (Sp chain)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-24, 01:31 PM
Steadfast? Yes. Indomitable? No way, and don't take the preqs. Rather, get a reroll item.

Frosty
2008-04-24, 01:43 PM
Steadfast still has a crappy ass requirement in Endurance. well, let's try a Warforged build.

Flaw: EWP (Spiked Chain)
Flaw: Endurance
1: Combat Reflexes
3: Stand Still
6: Extra Granted Maneuver
9: Steadfast Determindation
12: Robilar's Gambit
15: Power Attack

Stats after racial adjustments: 18 str, 14 dex, 19 con, 13 int, 8 wis, 8 cha

Will probably dump AC and grab an item of minor displacement instead. will probably also ditch the shield.

Anyone know if the Minor Fortification ability on Warforged Composite Plating can be upgraded via magical enhancements?

Keld Denar
2008-04-24, 01:59 PM
Insofar as PA vs SP....

The thing that eats me most about SP is that it caps out in usefulness at level 5, when you gain 10 temp hp at a penalty of -5. Sure, its AMAZING at level 5 and before while using it, but the fact that at higher levels, you aren't gonna want to be in Stone Dragon stances (DS stances are far superior) AND 10 hp per round at level 10+ means absolutely jack. PA scales all the way to 20, with good returns (offense tends to be better than defense).

Especially when not making iteratives (using standard action strikes), taking the penalty for PA is VERY attractive, must more useful at higher levels.

Frosty
2008-04-24, 03:22 PM
what equipment would you recommend for a Warforged Crusader besides the ones I've mentioned?

Blue Paladin
2008-04-25, 10:03 AM
What is your opinion on Defensive Rebuke? I think it synergizes well with Robilar's. Attack me.. you provoke. Don't attack me... you provoke.I have to admit I'm not familiar with Defensive Rebuke. If it does what you say though, it sounds like it's perfect for full lockdown once you get your target in range.

Will probably dump AC and grab an item of minor displacement instead. will probably also ditch the shield.Since you're tanking AC anyway in favor of displacement, how about changing up the stats? Something like 18 Str, 10 Dex, 17 Con, 14 Int, 10 Wis, 13 Cha? If you're starting at lvl 15, then you can boost that to 19 Str, 10 Dex, 18 Con, 14 Int, 10 Wis, 14 Cha. For -2 to AC (which you don't care about) and -2 to Ref save (which you might care about), you gain an additional +1 to Will saves from Charisma from that Crusader ability whose name escapes me at the moment, and 36 skill points. That's a lot. Then again, I suppose my games cound run more skill-heavy than yours, so it may or may not be worth it.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-25, 10:11 AM
I assume that I can put the decription of Defensive Rebuke here, seeing as you can download it for free from the Wizards web site in the form of the ToB Power Cards

Boost, Swift Action, Duration: 1 Round
Each enemy you strike after you initiate this maneuver becomes vulnerable to your futher attacks. If such an opponent attacks anyone other than you in melee for the duration of the maneuver, that attack provokes an attack of opportunity from you. (each separate attack a target makes provokes an attack of opportunity). Enemies you strike become aware of the consequences of this maneuver.

The question is... where do I fit that into the chain of maneuvers. :smallbiggrin:

Frosty
2008-04-25, 10:44 AM
Since you're tanking AC anyway in favor of displacement, how about changing up the stats? Something like 18 Str, 10 Dex, 17 Con, 14 Int, 10 Wis, 13 Cha?

Because I'm a lockdown Crusader. I require lots and lots of dex for Combat Reflexes so I can make lots of AoOs per round. Plus, I have Robilar's Gambit, so I really use lots and lots of AoOs per round. Ideally, I'd get my dex to at least 20.