PDA

View Full Version : Swarmcaster [PrC]

Mephibosheth
2008-04-22, 10:18 AM
Swarmcaster

http://oneyearbibleimages.com/locust.jpg

It’s early evening, and the streets are clearing as people begin head home. As you walk down the street, your ears pick up the sound of laughter and taunting, accompanied occasionally by a plaintive yelp. As you approach the nearest ally, the sounds intensify, until you peer around the corner to see a small gang of bedraggled boys tormenting a dog.

You’re about to abandon the animal to its fate, sure that there’s nothing you can do to stop the cruelty, when you see a small, slender figure clothed in a voluminous, mud-stained, olive-green cloak step out from the shadows at the other end of the ally. The figure raises its arms toward the boys and calls out, ordering them to cease tormenting the dog. Its threats seem to only increase their cruelty, as one of the boys viciously kicks the dog in the ribs and spits in the direction of the figure.

“So be it,” says the figure, and (after a moment’s silence), a cloud of locusts seems to burst out of thin air behind the figure and rocket towards the boys, washing over the figure on its way and causing the olive-green cloak to billow forward. They boys’ eyes widen as the insects swarm over them, landing on every part of their bodies and covering them in innumerable small bites. The boys slap at their arms and chests, but for every locust that they crush, dozens fly forward to take its place.

Looking back in astonishment at the strange figure, you see it stand still as the locusts swarming past, its hands at its sides and its head tilted upward. As you watch, its body seems to dissolve into the swarm of locusts and fly forward to join the other insects tormenting the gang. Terrified and shocked, you start back from your hiding place and run home, closing your doors and baring your windows. At least the locusts won’t be able to get you in here…

The archetypal druid resides in the depths of an impenetrable forest, visiting nature's wrath on those that would to ill to the woods and associating with bears, eagles, wolves, and other wild beasts. In the world's cities and villages, however, rodents, insects, and other small creatures are more abundant. A Swarmcaster thrives in this environment and learns to rely on swarms of small animals for support and power.

Hit Dice: d8
Requirements:

Skills: Handle Animal 8 ranks, Knowledge (local) 4 ranks
Special: Wild Shape class feature
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd level divine spells

Class Skills: A Swarmcaster’s class skills are Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Local), Listen, Profession, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, and Swim
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting

1|+0|+2|+0|+2|
Wild Shape, Speak to Swarms, Companion|
--

2|+1|+3|+0|+3|
Swarm Wild Shape, Wild Shape +1/day|+1 level of existing class

3|+2|+3|+1|+3|
Spontaneous Swarm|+1 level of existing class

4|+3|+4|+1|+4|
Wild Shape +1/day|+1 level of existing class

5|+3|+4|+1|+4|
Swarmcasting|+1 level of existing class

6|+4|+5|+2|+5|
Wild Shape +1/day|+1 level of existing class

7|+5|+5|+2|+5|
Wild Shape (Tiny)|+1 level of existing class

8|+6/+1|+6|+2|+6|
Mobcasting, Wild Shape +1/day|+1 level of existing class

9|+6/+1|+6|+3|+6|
Swarmcasting|+1 level of existing class

10|+7/+2|+7|+3|+7|
Advance Swarm, Wild Shape +1/day|+1 level of existing class[/table]

Class Features
Wild Shape - Levels in the Swarmcaster prestige class are considered Druid levels for the duration and Hit Dice limit of the character's Wild Shape ability.
Speak to Swarms – Beginning at 1st level, a Swarmcaster can speak with swarms a number of times per day equal to her Wisdom modifier, as the Speak with Animals spell.
Companion – A Swarmcaster’s levels in the class count as Druid levels for determining all aspects of the character’s animal companion, including when she can select a new animal companion.
Swarm Wild Shape – Beginning at 2nd level, a Swarmcaster gains the ability to use her Wild Shape ability to turn into a creature with the swarm subtype. The Swarmcaster’s options for this ability are subject to the same Hit Dice limits as Wild Shape and must be of the Animal or Vermin type, but are not subject to the normal size limitations for Wild Shape. Except as noted here, this ability functions as the Wild Shape class ability. Additionally, the Swarmcaster gains an additional daily use of Wild Shape at 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th level, and 10th level. Finally, at 7th level, a Swarmcaster can use her Wild Shape ability to change into a Tiny animal.
Spontaneous Swarm – Beginning at 3rd level, a Swarmcaster can “lose” a prepared spell of 2nd level or higher to cast Summon Swarm. This ability functions identically to a Druid’s normal spontaneous casting ability.
Swarmcasting – Beginning at 5th level, a Swarmcaster in swarm form retains the ability to cast any spell without a material or divine focus component, manipulating the small creatures that compose the swarm to mimic somatic components and using the sounds produced by the swarm to mimic verbal components. Beginning at 9th level, she gains the ability to cast spells that have a divine focus components. Spell ranges are determined from the intersection at the center of the swarm.
Mobcasting – Beginning at 8th level, a Swarmcaster’s understanding of the dynamics of swarms allows her to better affect large numbers of creatures with her spells. She gains a +1 bonus to the save DC of all area of effect spells and spells like Slow and Horrid Wilting that affect multiple targets within an area. She also casts these spells at +1 caster level.
Advance Swarm – At 10th level, a Swarmcaster gains the ability to increase the hit dice of any swarm shape she takes, regardless of whether the swarm usually allows advancement. A Swarmcaster may advance the swarm by up to 5 hit dice, increasing its abilities and swarm damage accordingly. Additionally, the Swarmcaster gains a +1 bonus to all saves when wild shaped into an advanced swarm.

I created this PrC for a player in a pbp campaign I ran for a while. The player wanted to play a druid who had a greater affinity for urban wildlife than for the more stereotypical wolves and eagles. I thought about what wildlife is most common in cities, and swarms (especially various insects and rodents) was the best answer I could come up with.

I'd be interested to hear what people think of the PrC, especially since I'm not quite sure how broken Swarm Wild Shape could be with access to all of the splat book swarms. I'd also be interested in any alternate class abilities that you think might be more flavorful, and any suggestions for a better capstone ability would be welcome.

Thanks!

Mephibosheth

Smiley_
2008-04-22, 01:45 PM
I think the swarm wild shape should be further down the list, otherwise force the said druid to make a will save or go insane from splitting his mind into many separate levels and remove the necessity for the save at level 10 or something?

Wolfman42666
2008-04-22, 02:27 PM
You could make the cap ability a swarm of biblical proprtions, that lasts only a few rounds, 1 per 2 caster level?, or you could make it a mind affecting ability, so that the swarm charges forward in a ramage, through the city or something, and any animal (maybe even druid?) the swarm comes whithin 10 feet of must make a will save or become part of the swarm, as though affected by dominate animal or person. Just my 2 copper peices.

Stycotl
2008-04-22, 02:44 PM
very nice, mephi. i like swarms, and have thought a lot of doing things with them for arcane casters, but have not gone the druid route, even though it makes more sense. good job.

Mephibosheth
2008-04-22, 04:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. Keep 'em coming!

I think the swarm wild shape should be further down the list, otherwise force the said druid to make a will save or go insane from splitting his mind into many separate levels and remove the necessity for the save at level 10 or something?

Hmm, interesting suggestion. Why do you think Swarm Wild Shape is too powerful for a 7th level character? What if I completely removed the ability for a Swarmcaster to Wild Shape into large creatures at 4th level and replaced it with Swarm Wild Shape. That seems like a decent trade-off to me.

You could make the cap ability a swarm of biblical proprtions, that lasts only a few rounds, 1 per 2 caster level?, or you could make it a mind affecting ability, so that the swarm charges forward in a ramage, through the city or something, and any animal (maybe even druid?) the swarm comes whithin 10 feet of must make a will save or become part of the swarm, as though affected by dominate animal or person. Just my 2 copper peices.

I kinda like the ability wherein a person ingulfed by a Swarmcaster in swarm shape would be affected by some sort of suggestion, hold, or dominate effect. I'll have to think about that.

very nice, mephi. i like swarms, and have thought a lot of doing things with them for arcane casters, but have not gone the druid route, even though it makes more sense. good job.

Thanks for the comment. Glad you like the class.

lord of kobolds
2008-04-22, 04:41 PM
FORWARD THE CHIHUAHUA SWARM!!!:smallbiggrin:

Drow Warrior
2008-04-22, 07:15 PM
Swarm of kobolds I've slain GO!

dman11235
2008-04-22, 07:31 PM
I'd like to point out the potential problems with not requiring material or focus components while in swarm form. Also, does this class stack with druid for wildshape? If not, you're stuck with 5 HD and one use/day.

And why advance the companion? If I were you, I'd nix the companion stacking and just go full wildshape, granting swarm at level 1. Also, stipulate that Natural Spell does not work with swarm form, otherwise the level 5 ability doesn't matter.

I'd also nix the know (local) requirements, and add in a throw away feat as prereq, to have it actually cost something. The know (local) just doesn't seem to fit.

Also, think of something to put at 6, if you can't think of anything, no bigy, you still have spells.

Now, I'm not sure if this is balanced, I think it is due to the spell casting shot at 1st level, but I'll think it over. Avatar stuff comes first though, I'm doing the airbender tonight. If my internet holds out.

Mephibosheth
2008-04-24, 02:56 PM
I'd like to point out the potential problems with not requiring material or focus components while in swarm form. Also, does this class stack with druid for wildshape? If not, you're stuck with 5 HD and one use/day.

The Swarm Wild Shape ability stipulates that the character gains additional Wild Shape uses at 2nd, 5th, and 8th level. It's a good point about the HD limit, though. I'll make the change. I'm also going to remove the ability to Wild Shape into large animals.

In terms of the Swarmcasting ability, I forgot to note that Natural Spell doesn't function with Swarm Wild Shape. I'll clarify. I think I'll allow the druid to use spells with divine focus but not spells with material components. I don't want to limit out too many spells.

And why advance the companion? If I were you, I'd nix the companion stacking and just go full wildshape, granting swarm at level 1.

Like I said in the OP, I built the PrC with a specific player in mind, and she was rather attached to her animal companion.

I'd also nix the know (local) requirements, and add in a throw away feat as prereq, to have it actually cost something. The know (local) just doesn't seem to fit.

I added the Knowledge (Local) requirement to give it more of an urban flavor. The fact that Knowledge (Local) is cross class makes it more of a sacrifice. There aren't really any throw away feats that I like as a prerequisite.

Also, think of something to put at 6, if you can't think of anything, no bigy, you still have spells.

I tried to think of something, but I'll give it another shot. Like you say, the spells, BAB, and Save increase make me not too worried about the dead level.

Thanks for the input!

Mephibosheth