PDA

View Full Version : Tiers of Play [4e]

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-22, 12:15 PM
Has anybody made sense of the powers table from the WoTC Tiers of Play Exerpt?

JaxGaret
2008-04-22, 12:21 PM
Sure. You get a new encounter power at level 1, 3, 7, 11, 13, 17, 23, and 27. At level 1 you have one encounter power, at level 3 you have two encounter powers, at level 7 you have three encounter powers, and from level 11 on you have four encounter powers, including a single Paragon encounter power.

Apply the same logic to the daily and utility powers.

kamikasei
2008-04-22, 12:23 PM
It seems straightforward enough. The numbers in the entries show the level at which you gained the power. So at level 30, you have four encounter powers, four daily powers, and seven utility powers.

Of the encounter powers, one is from your Paragon Path, one was gained at level 27, another at 23, and the last at 17.

Of the daily powers, one is from your Paragon Path, one was gained at level 29, another at 25, and the last at 19.

And of the utility powers, one comes from your Epic Destiny, one from your Paragon Path, and the others were gained at levels 22, 16, 10, 6, and 2.

Presumably there are more details or complications, perhaps regarding when and/or how you can exchange powers while leveling, but that seems to be the gist of it.

Not listed are at-will powers. I assume there's been some separate statement about them.

Squash Monster
2008-04-22, 12:23 PM
Yeah, it's not too complicated.

At all levels, you get two at-will powers. In addition, you get encounter, daily, and utility powers as shown on the table. Each cell of the table is a list of numbers. These are the levels that you received the relevant power at. Presumably, each level that grants powers has its own list.

So, for example, at level 8 you have 3 encounter powers. You got one at level 7, one at level 3, and one at level 1. Your level 7 encounter power is likely your most powerful one, and your level 1 encounter power is likely your least.

So the numbers you see aren't numbers of powers, they're the levels of the powers. If you want to get the number of powers, you'll need to count the number of numbers.

Lastly, there are P and E. These powers come from your Paragon path and your Epic destiny.

Morty
2008-04-22, 12:24 PM
I don't see much to make sense of there. It's a simple list of how many powers of what level you have. For example, on level 5 you have one 1st level and one 3rd level encounter powers, one 5th and one 1st level daily powers and one 2nd level utility power.
EDIT: Curses, ninja'd by three people...

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-22, 12:29 PM
Thank you all for clarifying. I was making a very stupid mistake in how I read the table, assuming that 5, 3, 1 meant five level 1 powers, three level 2 powers and one level 3 power, in essense reading the table backwards. This makes sense to me now, and I feel rather slow.

RukiTanuki
2008-04-22, 12:34 PM
That did take me a bit.

I believe it was also mentioned that most classes will have two at-will powers at any point in time.

kamikasei
2008-04-22, 12:34 PM
It is rather odd-looking at first glance.