PDA

View Full Version : [Nobilis] Unlikely Flowerings - Free 100-page PDF Preview Released

Maerok
2008-04-22, 05:15 PM
I guess Borgstrom has been working on new material; Eos has picked up the publishing end and we'll have Nobilis: The Society of Flowers, along with what look like two 'Peculiar Books', neither of which I am looking forward too (one is on other realms, and another are scenarios), but TSoF looks pretty cool from the previews.

If you look here, Society of Flowers Preview (http://flamesrising.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=54938&filters=0_0_0&manufacturers_id=120), you'll get a preview of 100 pages from what I think is the Society of Flowers. I plan on doing evil things with Alchemy as possibly a Power of Gifts... Although it seems like a lot of bookwork is starting to creep up with the new complications of these systems. Excrucians, Nobles, animals, Creatures from Beyond, are statted out more or less as templates which helped me conceptualize some of their aspects a bit; it shows an itemized list of attribute ranges and abilities inherent to each type of being, along with some 'Outsiders' who give gifts, are immune to law, or gave rise to bears.

I never really caught on to Dynamic Nobilis, but it might find its uses as a decider of outcomes when things get close. I'm interested in seeing how dominant it will be in the Society of Flowers; the preview acknowledges both but I'm willing to bet it will become polarized by the final version (most likely Dynamic).

A big thing is additional attributes, which focus more like professions of all things strange. Each needs a special entry requirement to be fulfilled; usually taking 5 MP in this sub-attributes (which cost 3 cp each level). There's Patronism, which allows you to bestow Imperator-like effects on those around you at your choice, for better or worse (including Powers and Excrucians, IIRC). High Summoning gives me a Lovecraftian shiver, in a good way. It's kind of like Tome of Magic's Fiendbinder prestige class. Alchemy is the third system.

Alchemy is freakin' sweet. You start out with a knowledge of flowers and soon begin to work Earthly magics (which don't bypass Auctoritas or Anchor immunity). But then... you get to create items by combining the aspects of flowers appropriate to what you want to create. The stronger it is, there might be more drawbacks but you'll probably get the desired effect (at a price). This is sort of bartered with your HG, but it provides limits for each level of Alchemy you take. These can even bypass Auctoritas as they can come with Penetration, which doesn't factor into the 'cost' per se. Level 2 is Earth magics. Level 3 is lesser miracles with 0-2 Penetration. Level 4 is major miracles with 4-5 Penetration. At level 5, you can create artifacts and relics; an example given is a pair of vambraces that consume 2 MP from the wearer each session, but can block an Abhorrent Weapon blow for 1 MP.

Mortals can actually take Alchemy and High Summoning, but aren't innately suited for it.

There are also Superior Attributes that I'm not too fond of in concept; you can train one sort of skill (pick something under the lofty umbrella of Aspect) and that becomes your effective Aspect score for it, up to 9. There are restrictions on how high you can actually train it, but each level costs 1. And mortals can use this. It is a part of the animal template, and explains some animal abilities within the game rules.

I'm firing up my first campaign IRL next semester (I'll be Hollyhocking unless someone else around my neck of the woods has played it before, possibly), and hopefully I'll be able to pick up the Society of Flowers by then. The scenario book might actually be beneficial as well in delving through all the complexities.