PDA

View Full Version : Crunchy or creamy?

The Cats
2008-04-22, 06:54 PM
Peanut butter that is.
I myself prefer crunchy, for the simple reason that AH LAHK CRUNCHAY PEANUT BUTTAH!

RS14
2008-04-22, 06:59 PM
Crunchy, because food ought to be something more than paste.:smallamused:

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-22, 07:01 PM
Uhh... Peanut butter is awful.

rubakhin
2008-04-22, 07:03 PM
I second Poligraf Poligrafovich. :smallyuk:

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-22, 07:06 PM
Nice. First person who's ever got the reference and mentioned it to me. you a fan of Bulgakov?

BillsBioBlog
2008-04-22, 07:06 PM
Creamy all the way... but peanut butter alone is worthless

Peanut butter and honey sandwich, try it some time

RS14
2008-04-22, 07:17 PM
Peanut butter and honey sandwich, try it some time
I second this. It's even better with banana, though messy, as the slices tend to fall out.

EmeraldRose
2008-04-22, 07:22 PM
Crunchy. Extra crunchy.

There was a poll about this, waaaaaaay back in the dark ages when we had polls....I can't remember how it turned out though, so this should be interesting :smallbiggrin:

Saurous
2008-04-22, 07:27 PM
I prefer creamy. Mostly because I don't really like biting into crunchy chunks of stuff when I eat a sandwich. It just seems...odd. Like "There's a dead beetle in my sandwich that tastes like peanuts" odd.

Hell Puppi
2008-04-22, 07:28 PM
Creamy!

...what are we talking about?

..oh...peanut butter...

>.>

<.<

Brickwall
2008-04-22, 07:34 PM
Creamy. I don't like nuts in any of my food. I'll eat a bag of salted peanuts or cashews or something, because they taste good, but with anything else, it's for flavor, not texture. Not that I dislike the pasty texture, though.

cabbagesquirrel
2008-04-22, 07:43 PM
creamy? what the fudge is creamy? here is australia its called SMOOTH!

Crunchy all the way! And yes with honey and banana! ZOMG! tastes so good.

rubakhin
2008-04-22, 07:43 PM
Nice. First person who's ever got the reference and mentioned it to me. you a fan of Bulgakov?

Well, I'm Russian, so. :smallamused: If I ever get a tattoo I think it would read "manuscripts don't burn."

Nobody gets the reference of my own s/n. :smallsigh: (Of course this is probably a good thing, considering that Rubakhin was pretty much a sociopath, no matter how beautiful the short story was.)

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-22, 08:01 PM
Well, I know it's "The Prisoner of the Caucasus" but only because I've just been looking through the 'books you must read' thread.

I've always been into russian literature, but (more so than any other country/nationality) I feel there's something missing in translation. Because of this, I've never really read past the classics, but I am currently taking lessons with the eventual aim of fluency.

Notice you like Nabokov, too. I think that's probably something of a given, though.

Copacetic
2008-04-22, 08:32 PM
Creamy. Crunchy is just awful to me for some reason.

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-22, 08:33 PM
Me: Creamy peanut butter please!
Peanut Allergy: NOOOOOOOOOO!

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-22, 08:40 PM
Oh, god, peanut butter and banana... it's been so freaking long...

Er, creamy.

BizzaroStormy
2008-04-22, 09:02 PM
I second this. It's even better with banana, though messy, as the slices tend to fall out.

Thats because you have to use crunchy and deep-fry it.

EmeraldRose
2008-04-22, 09:04 PM
Thats because you have to use crunchy and deep-fry it.

Onna stick...

:smallwink:

lumberofdabeast
2008-04-22, 09:06 PM
Onna stick...

:smallwink:

Genuine peanut product?

Cobra_Ikari
2008-04-22, 09:11 PM
Me: Creamy peanut butter please!
Peanut Allergy: NOOOOOOOOOO!

Same. v.v

*hugs*

EmeraldRose
2008-04-22, 09:12 PM
You could probably find it at the MN State Fair. They have practically everything fried and on a stick. (Including key lime pie)

Baerdog7
2008-04-22, 09:13 PM
Super chunky all the way, but I'll still eat creamy if it's the only thing available.

MilkMoustache.
2008-04-22, 09:17 PM
crunchy ; D

thubby
2008-04-22, 09:17 PM
PB&J's gotta have crunchy, without it its mush on bread. though for other stuff (like with apples) can't say no to the creamy.

Mando Knight
2008-04-22, 09:19 PM
You could probably find it at the MN State Fair. They have practically everything fried and on a stick. (Including key lime pie)

Any fair should work... at least for mundane fried oddities (Twinkies, Oreos, pickles...)

Crunchy for me...

...though if I'm hiccuping (with no discernible cause...:smallconfused: ), a spoonful of creamy will usually fix that nonsense...

rubakhin
2008-04-22, 09:20 PM
I've always been into russian literature, but (more so than any other country/nationality) I feel there's something missing in translation. Because of this, I've never really read past the classics, but I am currently taking lessons with the eventual aim of fluency.

Notice you like Nabokov, too. I think that's probably something of a given, though.

Good luck with Russian. It's difficult, I know, but stick with it. Yeah, it's worth it. I agree, there's something missing somehow. I hate saying it, because it's devastating to the non-Russophones and elitist, but some weight, some emotion, goes missing.

Nabokov's the exception. His stuff is equally beautiful in translation (probably because he speaks English/French/Russian and supervises the translations or does them himself), although it may be because there's not much emotion to Nabokov, his novels are like Japanese puzzle boxes. Someone once described his works as beautiful, elegant cut crystal, with the light and the facets, but empty inside, transparent. The exception being Lolita, which is, above all else, deeply felt. Which I've read a dozen some-odd times in the original English, once in French, and twice in Russian translation, and even then it's somehow more emotional in Russian in its own way.

(Well, I'd argue that The Eye has a great deal more emotion than most people attribute to it, and can be psychologically devastating when read under certain conditions, but I also happen to be completely off my rocker. Maybe Invitation to a Beheading, but I haven't finished that yet, and haven't read it in English.)

Of course, to me the Russian language is not an impenetrable string of consonants but the Great Powerful Righteous and Free Mother Tongue, so it may be my own perception, inshallah.

Nibleswick
2008-04-22, 09:32 PM
My vote is creamy, the crunchy bits always get stuck in my teeth.

TwoBitWriter
2008-04-22, 09:57 PM
Crunchy, very very crunchy... And sugar-free. I like the way it tastes...

ForzaFiori
2008-04-23, 05:12 AM
creamy. crunchy's texture is just weird to me.

Player_Zero
2008-04-23, 05:48 AM
I can go both ways. Heh.

Pyro
2008-04-23, 06:07 AM
Crunchy
I like peanut butter, but only peanut butter...I'm not sure I could handle that.

Nychta
2008-04-23, 06:26 AM
Well, I admit I'm not that keen on either, but crunchy is a lot less boring than creamy.
...I prefer kaya. Anyone ever had kaya?

Totally Guy
2008-04-23, 06:35 AM
I got a jar of Skippy's peanut butter from an importing wholesaler. It's crunchy.

The word creamy creeps me out. Imagine if it was liquid, slightly viscous peanut ooze. You'd spill it and it would take ages to clean up but at least you get the pleasant nutty fragrance... that's not a good upside:smallyuk: .

So the most creative use I've found for it is to buy french chocolate rolled up crepes and add the peanut butter to the middle of those, and put on the barbeque to warm up to melt the chocolate.:smallsmile:

Jokes
2008-04-23, 06:46 AM
Smooth, but I can stand crunchy.

On a side note, a friend of mine has a Labrador that can shell peanuts. It's pretty impressive, she can crack the pod perfectly in half, spit it out and lick up just the nuts.

RationalGoblin
2008-04-23, 07:03 AM
Ah, rubakhin, you are awesome. Only you could turn the topic (even for only a little while) from peanut butter to Russian books/novels. Not that it's a bad thing, but it makes me laugh. Thanks for the laugh, rubakhin. :smallsmile:

Anyways, I like both kinds of peanut butter, but I prefer creamy. Why? Because it's absolutely annoying when the crunchy bits of a peanut gets stuck in your teeth.

Dragonrider
2008-04-23, 01:38 PM
I like crunchy. Creamy coats my mouth and feels like just TOO MUCH; crunchy breaks it up a bit.

Interestingly, I prefer the texture of low-fat, which I found out when we were at someone else's house. :smalltongue:

Trog
2008-04-23, 02:36 PM
reduced fat creamy.

Crunchy? :smallyuk: If I want peanuts... I'll eat peanuts.

Jack Squat
2008-04-23, 03:19 PM
I enjoy putting both on a sandwich.

We normally have creamy in the house though, so I guess if I had to choose I'd go with that. Afterall, you can always add peanuts to it.

Myshlaevsky
2008-04-23, 03:44 PM
Ah, rubakhin, you are awesome. Only you could turn the topic (even for only a little while) from peanut butter to Russian books/novels. Not that it's a bad thing, but it makes me laugh. Thanks for the laugh, rubakhin. :smallsmile:

Anyways, I like both kinds of peanut butter, but I prefer creamy. Why? Because it's absolutely annoying when the crunchy bits of a peanut gets stuck in your teeth.

Well, I'd keep asking him about it, but it'd be off-topic:smalltongue: .

Edit: Just for the sake of it:

I'd agree with what you're saying about nabokov, but, in the novels other than Lolita I have read (Pale Fire, Ada or Ardor, The Eye and The Real Life of Sebastian Knight) I've always felt there could be interpreted to be a reason for that detachment, if you wanted to see it so.

As a descriptive explanation, if not an analogy, like how it's presumably possible, technologically, to vary and enhance the flavour of peanut butter a thousand times in a thousand different ways - but there's no real need, within the context of peanut butter (both crunchy and creamy) to do so.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-23, 05:22 PM
Crunchy. Definitely :smallamused:

MrEdwardNigma
2008-04-23, 05:32 PM
Creamy with crunchy bits. The best of two worlds.

Alucard
2008-04-23, 06:14 PM
Creamy on bread, crunchy on a spoon. But Nutella wins all. :biggrin:

Zarrexaij
2008-04-23, 06:38 PM
Uhh, I like both.

They each have their own merrits.

Lemur
2008-04-23, 08:18 PM
Rather than worrying about a relatively minor distinction, I think it would be more interesting to index the things you can get away putting peanut butter on. Unfortunately, I have not personally gone very far with this experiment, but have become intrigued by the people talking about peanut butter and bananas, something I never heard about before.

Everyone knows about celery and carrots, and I've found that it's passable with tomatoes (although this may be because I'm not well adjusted to eating unadulterated tomatoes). I also know it goes really well with apples (apples are another thing that seem to unexpectedly mix well with other foods, so go figure).

So does anyone have any other unlikely combinations they're willing to share?

thubby
2008-04-23, 08:39 PM
fluffernutter:
1 unit peanut butter
1 unit marshmallow fluff
2 pieces bread.
???
profit.

Uncle Festy
2008-04-23, 08:55 PM
Peanutbutter + Nutella + any bread product/bananas = Heaven
Mmmm, nutella...
Heck, Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are pretty tasty.
Stop torturing me, imagination!

Phoe
2008-04-23, 10:55 PM
Occassionaly I eat peanut butter and then it is creamy. I'm more into Nutella! Chocoholic for eternity!! :smalltongue:

Vella_Malachite
2008-04-24, 04:17 AM
Crunchy all the way. Creamy just feels...bleh.

As for weird things to eat peanut butter with: I have experimented (this is honestly true, I swear!), and have found that peanut butter with proscuitto tastes really, really good.

Go figure.

SuperMuldoon
2008-04-24, 08:39 AM
Creamy all the way for me. As an aside, I have noticed some correlation between liking crunchy/creamy peanut butter and pulp/no pulp orange juice.

Kneenibble
2008-04-25, 10:12 PM
Peanut Butter Thread
Machine Wash Cold
Do not use dryer.
75% groundnut
20% erudite Russian literature
5% lycra
Made in the Playground

I enjoy peanut butter and cheddar cheese in a sandwich. I prefer the texture of crunchy but it is more difficult to find without additives & sugar; I like the plain taste.
Am I the only one who finds it embarassingly difficult to digest, though?
Mr. Muldoon:
As a pulp-drinker, I agree with your correlation.

What of other seed & nut butters?
Tahini, for example.
Or your face.

Vella_Malachite
2008-04-25, 11:12 PM
Hmmm, that theory makes me an anomaly, then, as I much prefer crunchy peanut butter, but can't stand pulpy anything juice.:smallconfused:

Mmmm...tahini...*drool*

Hazkali
2008-04-26, 06:27 AM
Crunchy. Is there another sort? :smallbiggrin:

The best peanut-butter-based sandwich has to be peanut butter and chocolate spread on nut bread...yum!