PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what movies to watch.

Jimp
2008-04-22, 07:15 PM
During a discussion about movies one day it became pretty darn apparent to me that I have seen very, VERY few movies.
So, playgrounders, name a film and I will watch it.
I may not watch the films immediately due to things like college and work that needs to be done, but rest assured I will get around to it.
I won't list the films I have already seen because it's a pretty short list.

SurlySeraph
2008-04-22, 07:21 PM
Children of Men.

The Matrix.

The first Pirates of the Carribean.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Die Hard. All of the Die Hard movies. Just because.

Equilibrium, which has no cinematic value whatsoever but does have awesome action sequences.

Vision Quest.

The Good Shepherd.

Alien and Aliens, but not Alien 3.

comicshorse
2008-04-22, 07:39 PM
The Usual Suspects, if you watch no other watch this

rubakhin
2008-04-22, 07:39 PM
*tears of joy stream down my cheeks* I'm a total film geek. I am always recommending movies to my loved ones and yet nobody EVER watches them. I - I think I love you.

Anyway. I'll narrow this down to just a few, though if you want more I can rattle off hundreds.

1. Rang-e khoda (The Color of Paradise) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0191043/)
2. Fitzcarraldo (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083946/)
3. Kavkazskiy plennik (Prisoner of the Mountains) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116754/)
4. Anything by this guy, Andrei Tarkovsky. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001789/) I should warn you that these are Art films with a capital A, and they don't make for an easy watch. But he is, in my opinion, one of the finest filmmakers who has ever walked the Earth. I want to tell you to see Stalker and The Sacrifice, two of my very favorite movies, but the films are pretty difficult, you might want to go for the less obscure Solaris (not the remake with George Clooney). Although, if you are moved by Tarkovsky, do yourself a huge favor and go get the films of Robert Bresson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000975/), especially Au hasard Balthazar (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060138/), another difficult but deeply moving film.
5. Requiem for a Dream (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180093/)

Oh, and Citizen Kane, of course.

Mr. Scaly
2008-04-22, 07:40 PM
K-Pax.

Johnny English.

Dracula, Dead and Loving It.

Princess Mononoke.

Batman, both the Tim Burton film and Batman Begins.

The Shining. Actually, read the book too. Its a great read.

Predator and Predator 2.

thorgrim29
2008-04-22, 07:47 PM
The princess bride
Patch Adams
The dead poet's society
Eurotrip (not recommanded for kids....)
Bruce Almighty
Rome (Actually a two season tv series, but get the dvds)
Firefly (ditto, only one season)

BRC
2008-04-22, 07:51 PM
The Usual Suspects, if you watch no other watch this

YES, very much so

ArtifexFelicis
2008-04-22, 08:08 PM
The Princess Bride
Seven Samurai
2001: A Space Odyssy
A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Alien.
Aliens.
House of Flying Daggers.
Pan's Labrynth
Star Wars, 4-6 first, then maybe 1-3 if you're up to it.

Screw it.

Pick a movie from this list if you want as well. National Film Registry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Film_Registry). They're there for a reason.

GrassyGnoll
2008-04-22, 08:33 PM
Run Lola Run

No Country for Old Men

Waiting for Guffman

Sin City

Pulp Fiction

Little Miss Sunshine

Thank You For Smoking

The Life Aquatic

Tommy

The Big Lebowksi

And plenty of others, but those are the only ones you "need" to see.

Pan's Labrynth

Seconded, oh dear god seconded.

Amotis
2008-04-22, 08:45 PM
I might repeat some people here but that just means watch it twice.

The Fountain, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Pan's Labyrinth, Leon The Professional, Clerks, Clerks II, Mallrats, Fargo, No Country For Old Men, O Brother Where Art Thou, Memento, A Beautiful Mind, Trainspotting, Across The Universe, Blade Runner, Campanadas A Medianoche, Children of Men, Titus, The Royal Tenenbaums, Smoke Signals, 21 Grams, The Barbarian Invasions, Dr. Strangelove, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Wristcutters: A Love Story

Twin2
2008-04-22, 08:49 PM
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

Raistlin1040
2008-04-22, 08:52 PM
Most of the one's I'd REALLY recommend have been said. However, one has not.

Gladiator.

AslanCross
2008-04-22, 09:54 PM
Kung Fu Hustle
Ghost in the Shell

Kneenibble
2008-04-22, 09:59 PM
Salome's Last Dance (Russell).

Happiness.

Satyricon (Fellini).

Macbeth (the Roman Polanski one from the 70s).

Good luck, sir, you're getting a rather overwhelming grocery list already.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-04-22, 10:01 PM
Wizards. Come to think of it, anything by Ralph Bakshi (except Cool World, even Bakshi himself thought that one was bad).

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-04-22, 10:03 PM
Oh, I forgot.

Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter. Lesbian-skinning vampires, a jeep full of atheists, a cheesy musical number, a priest with a mohawk and God talking through a bowl of cherries jubilee! It's so campy it's hilarious!

Kneenibble
2008-04-22, 10:22 PM
Haha!
I second the above. Good show, good show.

Jack Squat
2008-04-22, 10:30 PM
Manos: The Hands of Fate

Dungeons and Dragons

Mars Attacks

AslanCross
2008-04-22, 10:56 PM
Macbeth (the Roman Polanski one from the 70s).

I haven't seen that, but I liked the Kenneth Branagh Macbeth too.

Semidi
2008-04-22, 11:01 PM
*puts on his movie snob hat* All of these movies are fantastic.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Alien, Alien 2
Apocalypse Now
Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness
The Battle of Algiers
Blade Runner
China Town
A Clock Work Orange
Dark City
The Deer Hunter
Do the Right Thing
Donnie Darko
Dr. Strangelove
Easy Rider
The Graduate
The Hunger (David Bowie AND lesbian vampires)
Nosferatu
Pan's Labyrinth
PsychoThe Birds, Rear Window, Virtigo
Pulp Fiction
Raging Bull
The Silence of the Lambs
Some Like it Hot
Taxi Driver
V for Vendetta

Oh yes...
Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

GrassyGnoll
2008-04-22, 11:07 PM
The Hunger (David Bowie AND lesbian vampires)

That's the cinematic equivalent of a giant apple pie drenched in caramel sauce and melted ice cream.

Solo
2008-04-22, 11:50 PM
During a discussion about movies one day it became pretty darn apparent to me that I have seen very, VERY few movies.
So, playgrounders, name a film and I will watch it.
I may not watch the films immediately due to things like college and work that needs to be done, but rest assured I will get around to it.
I won't list the films I have already seen because it's a pretty short list.

Da Black Supaman

Star Wars Holiday Special

Troll 2

thubby
2008-04-23, 12:16 AM
war of the worlds (both)
____ of the dead series
sound of music
more to come

TSGames
2008-04-23, 12:26 AM
I know that people have posted a lot of movies, and some of them are very good. But really, the only one you need to watch is:

Kill Bill

Also, Airplane

North
2008-04-23, 12:28 AM
Children of Men.

Really?:smallconfused: I really didnt like that one.

The one movie Id really recommend to watch would be The Princess Bride.

Noir-Neko
2008-04-23, 12:42 AM
"Pride and Prejudice"

"Sence and Senceablity"

"Father Goose"

"V for Vendetta"

"Stranger then Fiction"

"Howl's Moving Castle"

Fri
2008-04-23, 01:00 AM
Da Black Supaman

Troll 2

You never dissapoint us Solo...

Well, I like a lot of movie, but my absolute favourites are:

-Original Star Wars
-LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
-The Matrix (only the first one. It'd be better if the series end there, period)
-Shrek 2
-Twelve Monkeys

TheThan
2008-04-23, 01:16 AM
Indiana Jones and the raiders of the lost ark
Indiana Jones and the temple of doom
Indiana Jones and the last crusade

Sahara

King Solomon's mines (the 1950s one)

Allan Quartermain and king Solomon's mines (actually I think its just King Solomon's mines, its from like 1987 or so if you're curious).
Allan Quartermain and the lost city of gold

What can I say, I like adventure movies.
also I know there's more out there but I can't seem to recall them.

H. Zee
2008-04-23, 01:32 AM
Blade Runner most definitely.

Serenity, particularly if you've watched the Firefly TV show, but even if you haven't it's still worth a watch.

Pan's Labyrinth.

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

Kung Fu Hustle.

Time Bandits. (It's a kid's film, but I enjoy just as much now as I did when I was a kid.)

Agamid
2008-04-23, 02:01 AM
Pan's Labyrinth for sure, it's awesome!
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Spirited Away
My Neighbour Totoro
Snow White: A Tale of Terror
Summer Storm (It's a german flick)
Amelie
Guitar Wolf
Black Sheep
Princess Bride
Constantine (a bit corny and very predictable, but I love it! Especially Lucifer!)
Narnia (the original BBC versions as well as the remakes)
Resident Evil (I love all the movies, and Milla Jovovich is great ice candy)
The Fifth Element (more Milla Jovovich!)
Hannibal Rising
The Labyrinth
The Spongebob Movie (i'm serious, this is one of the funniest movies i've ever seen.)
30 Days of Night
The Prestige
The Crow (only number 1, the rest are crap)
Queen of the Damned
Zoolander
Control

... that's all i can think of right now, but that should be enough to keep you busy.

Serpentine
2008-04-23, 02:15 AM
Satyricon (Fellini).I just read bits of this (well, you know, the ancient Roman version) - well, mostly the bits with sex - and I suspect a movie version of it would be very interesting. What's it like, and what's it rated?

My list is gonna be fairly short, cuz a lot of the people have already said the ones I would, and I want to avoid repeating. First, for all those people touting movies with vampires and lesbians, what about Vampiros Lesbos?

City Hunter (from Hong Kong)
Willow
Russian Ark (it's a bit boring, but the entire thing is filmed in a single shot, and it is beautiful)
The Star Warses
Spaceballs
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Pulp Fiction
Snatch
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Little Shop of Horrors
Hero

...dammit everyone, stealing the ones I was gonna suggest! :smallmad: :smalltongue:

Hawriel
2008-04-23, 02:46 AM
Sorry this is not in alphabetical order.

Sci Fi:
Blade Runner (the directors cut, or final cut)
Star Treks II, III, IV, and VI. Even numbered trek movies are good. I recomend III becuase wile not great it doesnt suck. It also links II and IV.
Planet of the Apes The old ones with the just resently departed Charlten Heston.
2001 A Space Odyssey. In the dark.
Akira
Alien and Alians also Preditor 1 and 2.
The Last Starfighter

War:
Platoon (watch it once with the commentary.)
Hamberger Hill
The Longest Day and A Bridge To Far. Read the books they are based on by Cornelius Ryan. They are very good.
When Trumpets Fade
Das Boot
Tora Tora Tora This film was jointly made by American and Japanies filmakers.
Flags of Are Fathers and Letters From Iwo jima
All Quiet on the Western Front

Action/Adventure
Indiana Jones. All three.
The Shadow
Sin City
Superman I and II
The Rocketeer
Ghost Busters I and II
Gladiator
Sparticus
Ben Hur

Comedy:
Caddyshack
Stripes
Mash
40 year old vergen
Knocked Up

Drama/thriller
Taxi Driver, The Departed, Good Fellas, The God Father, Ok Any thing by Martin Scorsese
Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger

WalkingTarget
2008-04-23, 08:05 AM
Here's a couple of indie films I enjoyed immensely:
Brick (film noir)
Primer (science fiction)

Edit - oh, and pretty much anything directed by Stanley Kubrick or Alfred Hitchcock.

Vaire
2008-04-23, 08:17 AM
I've noticed that most of what people are posting are pretty contemporary, but if you're not opposed to black and white:

The Day The Earth Stood Still (learn the origins of "Gort, Klatuu Verata Nicto.)

Forbidden Planet (not black and white, but an awesome sci-fi version of The Tempest with a very very young Leslie Nielsen)

And if you're not opposed to truly silly-fun movies I'd suggest you try Hudson Hawk. It might take a couple viewings to sincerely appreciate all of the stupidity, but then it suddenly becomes one of your favorite movies.

Agamid
2008-04-23, 08:29 AM
oo! and..
Pluncett and McCleane
Willard (the remake with Crispin Glover)
Sleepy Hollow
Chocolat
Charlie and the Chocolate factory (both the Gene Wilder and the Johnny Depp ones)
Journey to the Centre of the Earth
Any of the early James Bond flicks (they're so chauvinistic and tacky, but you've gotta love 'em)
The Party
The Pink Panther, Revenge of the Pink Panther, The Pink Panther Strikes Again and The Return of the Pink Panther.
Shine
The Man with two brains
Dead Man
Don Juan DeMarco
A Knights Tale
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Edward Scissor Hand
Finding Neverland
Big Fish
Erin Brockovich
Garden State
Walk the line
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Taboo
The Devil Wears Prada
Little Miss Sunshine
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of The Desert
The Man who fell to Earth
Velvet Goldmine
Blazing Saddles
Looking For Alabrandi
Garage Days
Mad Max (gotta love 'em)
The Last King of Scotland
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original the remake are both good)
Wolf Creek
Cold Mountain
Ever After
Moulin Rouge
The Interpreter
Run Fatboy, run
Father of The Bride
marie antoinette

... okay, i watch far too many films...

SITB
2008-04-23, 08:55 AM
No one mentioned Fight Club? For shame.

Irenaeus
2008-04-23, 09:31 AM
I'll just post my IMDB vote history, click on "vote" to sort by vote.

http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=24679717

As with any media appreciation thread, this thread taken my reactions from "Ah, a classic", to "why would anyone recommend that!". Sometimes several times in a single post. I find the diversity reassuring.

rubakhin
2008-04-23, 09:37 AM
I just read bits of this (well, you know, the ancient Roman version) - well, mostly the bits with sex - and I suspect a movie version of it would be very interesting. What's it like, and what's it rated?

Very tacky, very garish, in that outdated European psychedelic art film way. Fellini called it a science fiction film projected into the past (and this would be a 1969 science fiction film at that). There's no real narrative - or a very loose one, I guess - just a bunch of surreal scenes, mostly sexual/sadistic/decadent in nature. I remember hearing someone call it an expansive, epic, dreamlike mess of a movie, which just about covers it. It's not a terrible film - at very least it is intriguing, and one has to respect Fellini's audacity and vision - but it's not a good one, either. YMMV.

Have you seen Fassbinder's adaptation of Querelle? (If you haven't, don't.) Like that, but with the Satyricon.

Russian Ark (it's a bit boring, but the entire thing is filmed in a single shot, and it is beautiful)

This. I love Sokurov. You should all pick up Aleksandra when it comes to your respective countries, as well as Mother & Son (I preferred Father & Son, one of my favorite films, but I'm hesitant to recommend it to a bunch of teenage Western boys) and Moscow Elegy, a documentary about Tarkovsky, if you like Tarkovsky's films.

Phase
2008-04-23, 10:06 AM
Also, Airplane

Good Gods, yes! Hilarious movie!

Don't miss Jurrasic Park and it's sequal (skip the third) if only just for the truly amazing CGI and puppetry. Seriously, it has some of the most seamless use of CGI. Way better then the live-action/CG movies fro the past ten years, and the movie is what, from 1993?

Also, I have no idea why no one has mentioned this this yet, but:

Monty Python
and the
Holy Grail!

Robberbaron
2008-04-23, 10:43 AM
The Sting

Casablanca

Ben Hur

Singin' in the Rain

Fiddler on the Roof

Adventures of Robin Hood - Errol Flynn

Captain Blood

Hellfighters

Hatari

Count of Monte Cristo - Richard Chamberlain

Murder on the Orient Express

Where Eagles Dare

Macbeth - Orson Welles

Much Ado About Nothing

I'd recommend Phantom of the Opera if I'd seen a version that properly captured the book, but so far I haven't, the version based on the play is excellently done, but the book is so far more complex.

The Rose Dragon
2008-04-23, 11:52 AM
The fact that no one mentioned this movie means you're all either Americans, or you have no taste.

Once Upon A Time in America. The uncut version.

Note the movie is about four hours long, but is also quite excellent. It could be one of the best movies I've ever watched, if not the best.

Speaking of de Niro...

Deer Hunter. Sure, it has Christopher Walken, but he doesn't speak much in the movie, so you can watch it easily.

poleboy
2008-04-24, 01:24 AM
I'm sure you're a bit overwhelmed by now, so I'll keep it simple.
If you like anime, you should watch Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime). Miyazaki has made lots of great anime (and you should probably watch those as well), but this one is the best imo.

turkishproverb
2008-04-24, 01:57 AM
Da Black Supaman

Troll 2

BloodRayne
BloodRayne 2
In the Name of the King
Plan 9 From outer Space
Batman and Robin
Superman 4
Big Mamma's House
ZooLander

I win.

Freshmeat
2008-04-24, 02:30 AM
Memento
The Prestige
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Apocalypse Now
Blade Runner

Vaire
2008-04-24, 08:08 AM
T

Captain Blood

If you end up enjoying this one you should also check out The Seahawk.

Robberbaron
2008-04-24, 10:25 AM
I've not seen The Seahawk, looked at it, but since it didn't seem to be based on the book by the same author of Captain Blood, I didn't bother to purchase it at the time.

RandomLogic
2008-04-24, 10:32 AM
Southland Tales
Primer
The Fountain
Gabriel
Cloverfield

All were excellent movies, the first 3 are all good thinking sci-fi, Gabriel was an australian movie about archangels versus demons but is so much more and doesn't have a cheesy Hollywood ending, Cloverfield was pretty awesome for just being a return to monster movies but from your perspective.

Icewalker
2008-04-24, 07:08 PM
After this many suggestions, I'm sure you won't have enough time to watch anything near all of them. Nonetheless, I'm gonna suggest Galaxy Quest. Great movie, which has a completely original plot, almost the whole thing is hilarious and the parts that are serious are very epic and well done. Awesome movie.

Dumbledore lives
2008-04-24, 07:22 PM
Pretty much all the movies I would have suggested have already been said but anything by Monty Python, you really should watch all the Flying Circus on DVD. Our local library had a lot of them and my friend and I used to watch them all the time. Also anything by Mel Brooks.

Ker
2008-04-24, 09:22 PM
Plan 9 From outer Space

Plan 9 From Outer Space was great.

OwlbearUltimate
2008-04-24, 11:07 PM
Here ae some good (and odd) ones.

Monty Python and The Meaning of Life

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Moholland Drive (Sp and be prepared fo the most HUH?!?! moment, oh and look out for the guy behind the corner.)

The Exorcist

Silence of the Lambs

TheThan
2008-04-25, 12:01 AM
Westerns
Stagecoach
El Dorado
True Grit
Roster Cogburn
The searchers
Tombstone
Silverado
Quigly down under
A fist full of dollars
For a few dollars more
The good the bad and the ugly
Death hunt
The magnificent seven

I'll come up with more movies later.

Edit
Forgot McLintock!

Vaire
2008-04-25, 08:11 AM
I've not seen The Seahawk, looked at it, but since it didn't seem to be based on the book by the same author of Captain Blood, I didn't bother to purchase it at the time.

It's not as great as Captain Blood, but you've still got Errol Flynn in a pirate movie from around the same time. I mean, really, how could it go wrong?:smallsmile:

Actually I remember seeing the Seahawk first when I was little, then I moved on to Captain Blood. Then I repeatedly watched those two with some Robin Hood thrown in for a couple years. Good times, good times.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-04-25, 09:52 AM
Okay, everyone has mentioned Kung Fu Hustle, but noone mentioned Stephen Chow's other great film, Shaolin Soccer. Such a good movie. The next three are anime, but don't let that scare you, they're done by Satoshi Kon who may or may not be (the jury's still out) the living embodiment of all things awesome in animated cinema. They are Paprika, Perfect Blue, and Millenium Actress. All are stunning pieces of cinematic art.

Another great animed film (not anime, just animated, and truly breath-taking) is Aleksandr Petrov's My Love. Check out his Old Man & The Sea part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1EbNvHDxbA) and part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2_KszEnlq0) on youtube if you want to see what I'm talking about. An Amazing style of animation that only something like 8 people in the whole world can do.

I'd also like to suggest the Monty Python Movies(Life of Brian, Holy Grail, and Meaning of Life) if you haven't seen them. Pure gold. On the subject of Python, comes Gilliam. My suggestions in that category are Brazil, The Fisher King, Time Bandits, 12 Monkeys, and Jabberwocky

I'd also suggest, last but not least, Mirrormask, simply because I'm a raging Neil Gaiman fanboy, and because it's a really good movie in the vein of stories like The Wizard of Oz or Through The Looking Glass.

Serpentine
2008-04-25, 10:18 AM
If we're talking about the Gilliam movies, I'd like to mention that Time Bandits, Brazil and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen are a loose... not so much a trilogy, but they're kinda meant to go together, in that order. The order doesn't matter, really - they are all quite distinct films, and I actually watched them in reverse order somehow - but don't watch Brazil last. Just don't.

On the topic of Gilliam: How much more awesome would the Harry Potter movies have been if he'd made them like both he and Rowling originally wanted?

Robberbaron
2008-04-25, 11:34 AM
Vaire, I recently obtained a set of Tyrone Powers movies, supposed to be swashbucklers or something along those lines. I'm hoping they turn out well, have adaptations of 3 rather decent books, Prince of Foxes, Captain from Castile, and The Black Rose. Also wish I had a copy of The Buccaneer starring Yul Brynner, that was an entertaining flick.

TRM
2008-04-25, 11:56 AM
Ong-bak: The Thai Warrior has some crazy-awesome martial arts. Though if you care about there being a plot you should probably skip it...
Shaolin Soccer Isn't bad, it's moderately funny (might be better if you watch it in the original language).
If you don't mind black and white (and never want to take a shower by yourself again) try Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock. Though I should warn you, it's seriously terrifying.
Batman Begins is good.

Blade Runner
Seconded.

The Matrix (only the first one. It'd be better if the series end there, period)
Seconded. But watch the second one, it's combat is amazing. Go ahead and skip the third one.

Look for Hayao Miyazaki films, they're all excellent.

Same for the Pink Panther films with Peter Sellers.

TheThan
2008-04-25, 01:27 PM
Same for the Pink Panther films with Peter Sellers.

yeah, all the Peter Sellers ones are awesome, though the newest one with Steve Martin is pretty good. It's just not as slapstick.

Smeik
2008-04-25, 02:25 PM
It seems as if most of the films i would have recommended are already mentioned. Although one is missing:

I would recommend to watch Night on earth (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102536/). Everyone should watch it, it's brilliant, although rather slow.

Jerthanis
2008-04-25, 02:33 PM
There's a lot of posts here listing 20+ movies at a time, and thus I can't assume that anyone could really go through this many movies any time this decade, but I'll just suggest my top five movies anyway, just to throw my two cents in.

High Fidelity, What Dreams May Come, A Scanner Darkly, The Princess Bride and Drunken Master 2 (I believe it's called "Legend of Drunken Master" in the American release)

Twin2
2008-04-25, 02:37 PM
Metropolis, your eyes will thank you.

Vaire
2008-04-26, 09:50 AM
Vaire, I recently obtained a set of Tyrone Powers movies, supposed to be swashbucklers or something along those lines. I'm hoping they turn out well, have adaptations of 3 rather decent books, Prince of Foxes, Captain from Castile, and The Black Rose. Also wish I had a copy of The Buccaneer starring Yul Brynner, that was an entertaining flick.

Ooooohhh. I am totally jealous. Are those on DVD? I'm getting on amazon right now to check. I love Tyrone Power. I'll watch him in anything. You have, of course, seen his Zorro? The best. He could totally kick Antonio Banderas's butt. As for the Buccaneer, I know it is, or has been available on DVD, but Amazon is out.

Irenaeus
2008-04-26, 07:11 PM
Metropolis, your eyes will thank you.The original or the anime one?

nothingclever
2008-04-26, 07:27 PM
Black Adder episodes or specials
Zoolander

turkishproverb
2008-04-28, 11:03 PM
The original or the anime one?

both. this here for space

Irenaeus
2008-04-29, 01:47 AM
both.

Right answer.

Robberbaron
2008-04-29, 11:14 AM
I've not seen his Zorro, or at least if I have, I don't recall which one it was, the Zorro I remember the most was the Disney one. Wish Disney would release the entire Swamp Fox set on DVD, that was great fun. You ever seen the Three Musketeers with Gene Kelly, seen it once, remember it being pretty amusing. Somewhere at home I've also got an old b&w DVD of the Scarlet Pimpernel can't remember who it stars, that was a fun book and movie.

Vaire
2008-04-29, 01:26 PM
I've not seen his Zorro, or at least if I have, I don't recall which one it was, the Zorro I remember the most was the Disney one. Wish Disney would release the entire Swamp Fox set on DVD, that was great fun. You ever seen the Three Musketeers with Gene Kelly, seen it once, remember it being pretty amusing. Somewhere at home I've also got an old b&w DVD of the Scarlet Pimpernel can't remember who it stars, that was a fun book and movie.

It was made back in 1940 by Fox I think. It is still the ultimate Zorro movie to which all other need to be compared. I'm pretty sure it won an Oscar, or was nominated at least. Basil Rathbone was the bad guy (of course).

Oh, my yes have I seen the Gene Kelly Three Musketeers. It is very amusing. There is also a Three Musketeers sequel that was made with Maureen O'Hara supposedly in disguise as a man, but they didn't do much to hide her..ahem, assets, so the whole thing is a little confusing. The old Scarlet Pimpernell I remember had Leslie Howard in it (Ashley Wilkes from Gone with the Wind). I love anything about the Napoleonic Wars and the spy network at the time.

WalkingTarget
2008-04-29, 01:41 PM
It was made back in 1940 by Fox I think. It is still the ultimate Zorro movie to which all other need to be compared. I'm pretty sure it won an Oscar, or was nominated at least. Basil Rathbone was the bad guy (of course).

The Mark of Zorro (http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Zorro-Tyrone-Power/dp/B00008LDO2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1209495256&sr=8-2) was, indeed, 1940 by Fox (seems appropriate, no?). It was nominated for Best Original Score (it lost to Pinocchio).

Rathbone was the Sheriff of Nottingham in Flynn's Robin Hood movie a few years prior to this one and is reported to have said that Tyrone Power "could fence Errol Flynn into a cocked hat."

It's a classic, though I'd still like to see the original silent version starring Douglas Fairbanks if I can track down a copy.

turkishproverb
2008-04-29, 02:49 PM
The Mark of Zorro (http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Zorro-Tyrone-Power/dp/B00008LDO2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1209495256&sr=8-2) was, indeed, 1940 by Fox (seems appropriate, no?). It was nominated for Best Original Score (it lost to Pinocchio).

Rathbone was the Sheriff of Nottingham in Flynn's Robin Hood movie a few years prior to this one and is reported to have said that Tyrone Power "could fence Errol Flynn into a cocked hat."

It's a classic, though I'd still like to see the original silent version starring Douglas Fairbanks if I can track down a copy.

Recommend seeing the 1920 Fairbanks version as well.

Incidentally, it is in public domain, so you can download it legally.

EDIT: You can get a copy here. (http://www.archive.org/details/markofzorro-1920)

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-29, 04:36 PM
Battle of Algiers.

Story of Ricky.

Robberbaron
2008-04-30, 10:18 AM
I also need to get the Disney live action Robin Hood (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045197/), was fun as well. While looking on Amazon, found one of my favourite rat pack movies, Robin and the Seven Hoods (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058529/), that is a blast.

TheGreatPumpkin
2008-04-30, 10:30 AM
American Movie - Hilarious documentary about a bumbling filmmaker.

Trekkies 1 and 2 - Documentaries about Star Trek fans. Trekkies 2 catched up with some of the fans interviewed during the first film.

King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters - AWESOME documentary about hardcore classic gamers. The guy portrayed as the villain and his cronies are freaking hilarious.

Stop Making Sense - Music film that documents a performance by David Byrne/Talking Heads. One of the best music documentaries/concerts on film ever made. Seriously.

Mr. Show - Not a film. HBO comedy series featuring David Cross and Bob Odenkirk. Ran from 95-98. Groundbreaking show and it's hilarious. I believe you can still pick up all three seasons in a box set for a reasonable price. If you're looking for stricly films, try "Run Ronnie Run!" It's a spin-off from the show that features one of their best characters.

Vaire
2008-04-30, 10:51 AM
I also need to get the Disney live action Robin Hood (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045197/), was fun as well. While looking on Amazon, found one of my favourite rat pack movies, Robin and the Seven Hoods (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058529/), that is a blast.

I don't believe I've actually seen either of those.

Walking Target: I completely believe that Tyrone Power was a better fencer. The fight scenes in Zorro were much more convincing than the Robin Hood scenes. Of course, Tyrone Power was also a better actor. He probably didn't drink as much either, which might have helped.

Leather_Book_Wizard
2008-05-01, 05:35 PM
*rubs hands together in fiendish glee*

The Ten Commandments

Misery

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Planet of the Apes and all the sequels

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (well, I liked it...)

All the Back to the Future movies

Edward Scissorhands

The Labyrinth

Pee-wee's Big Adventure

Citizen Kane (great movie, but not the earth-shattering thing I expected)

The Dark Crystal

Errr... 'Bout any of the old Hammer horror films, really.

Nosferatu

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Maria Marten, or Murder in the Red Barn, and Tod Slaughter's other films (especially Sweeney Todd and Crimes at the Dark House!), although I admit he's not for everybody. His acting style is very theatrical and maybe he hams it up a bit, but give him a shot.

I'm sure there or more, but me mind's blank.

Zarrexaij
2008-05-01, 08:06 PM
2001: A Space Odyssy <--- See below
A Clockwork Orange <--- Cult movie you most absolutely see or ELSE!!!
The Matrix (avoid the second Matrix movie, the third is fine, but the second is just a bridge between the two) <--- Ditto
V for Vendetta
Alien <-- Double Ditto
GATTACA
Tron
Memento
Jacob's Ladder
The Prestige
The Shining
The Exorcist

Dristin
2008-05-02, 07:22 AM
Search and don't know if anyone has mentioned it but this is one of my favorite movies

Boondock Saints

comicshorse
2008-05-02, 08:32 PM
'In Bruges', just saw it today. An excellentlly acted, black comedy.

Zarrexaij
2008-05-04, 08:58 PM
I almost forgot a few:

The Thing
A Beautiful Mind

Unfortunately for The Thing, when it was released it flopped, but it's a bit of a cult classic now. It's an excellent sci-fi-y horror movie that touches well on the nature of paranoia.

Aliens is also an excellent movie too. Alien 3 is okay, but Alien Ressurection is sorta campy.

Serpentine
2008-05-05, 01:26 AM
I forget, has Predator been mentioned? It really is very well done, and genuinely tense, I think.
Snatch should be seen, if only to experience Brad Pitt as a nigh-incomprehensible Irish Gypsy. Fight Club should also be seen, at least twice. Coincidently, it also has Brad Pitt...

Also, some fantastically wonderful Playgrounder bought me the Alien and Predator box set. Watching them all in sequence is certainly an experience :smallwink:

Jimp
2008-05-12, 05:48 AM
UPDATE:
I have started finding and watching movies! The list has grown pretty huge so I have put it in BLOGFORM!
http://jimpsmovies.blogspot.com/
I'll be updating there periodically. I would appreciate it if anyone could go through the list and make sure there are no duplicate entries.
I'm still open to suggestions!
Thanks all! :smallbiggrin:

Lolzords
2008-05-12, 05:57 AM
Apt Pupil and The Shawshank redemption are two of my favourite films.

Shatteredtower
2008-05-12, 05:53 PM
Baxter
Diva
Life on a String
Like Water for Chocolate
Six String Samurai
Tampopo (though some prefer A Taxing Woman)

Oh, and you've got Edward Scissorhands on that list twice (right after Back to the Future, highlighted near the bottom of your list, and two below the highlighted A Knight's Tale]).