PDA

View Full Version : sorcerer items for a newbie?

DownwardSpiral
2008-04-22, 10:25 PM
So my friend is starting his first dungeons and dragons campaign with us, but he doesn't really know how to make a character. So, I'm helping him making a sorcerer focusing on summoning stuff. I got it all pretty much done, except I need help buying stuff.

I was hoping you guys could help. Level 7, going to go straight sorcerer through the whole thing (wanting to keep it simple). I also got 2 feats not used, with a first level and third level feat being used for SF(conjuration) and augment summoning.

So any help guys? =D

dman11235
2008-04-22, 10:27 PM
What sources?

DownwardSpiral
2008-04-22, 10:30 PM
Core mostly. But anything outside core I have to ok with my dm. With that said, between all of us, we have most of the books (all the completes at least).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-22, 10:36 PM
Metamagic Rods, Cloak of Cha, Handy Haversack/BoH.

valadil
2008-04-22, 10:45 PM
Cloak of Cha is the most important item for a sorc. Vest of Resistance isn't core, but most DMs I've seen allow it. It's the same price as a cloak, just in a vest slot. Con items are also good. Dex is nice if you have a lot of rays.

I'm working on a sorc right now. Started at 3, currently 10. Stuff like rings of protection and amulets of natural armor are nice as hand me downs when the fighters upgrade, but you can definitely afford to be behind by a couple points in AC. At this level I recommend a Tunic of Steady Casting (magic item compendium) if your DM allows it.

Other than that, stock up on consumables. You gotta hide your weakness. At level 7 low level scrolls like alter self and knock are still plenty useful if you don't know them. Basically you want a scroll or two of spells that don't come up every day but are enormously useful when they do come up.

Solo
2008-04-22, 10:56 PM
If only there was some sorcerer guide for this poor newbie. Perhaps even a stupendously superior sorcerer guide!

But where to find such a thing?

RTGoodman
2008-04-22, 11:31 PM
Yeah, the above advice is all good. Amulet of natural armor, ring of protection, vest of resistance, cloak of charisma +X, and stuff like that is all standard.

If you have access to Magic Item Compendium, see if your DM will okay the memento magicas (I think that's what they're called). They're basically pearls of power, but for spontaneous casters (and they cost a bit more). Also, if you can use MIC, maybe pick up a Belt of Healing. It's only around 750gp, I think, and emergency healing is never a bad thing (especially if it's reusable). I know it saved several party members in our Savage Tide game, and we were around level 7. (Stupid seven-headed hydras hiding underwater...)

Zeful
2008-04-22, 11:33 PM
Knowstones are a great thing to have. They give you an additional spell known as long as you have the item in your direct possession. They cost the same as an equivilent level pearl of power.

DownwardSpiral
2008-04-22, 11:37 PM
I'm sorry I missed that Solo. I acttually glanced through it before and missed the section on items. But basically you recommend wands and amulets of protection, and the like. By the way, you mention a mithral buckler of heavy fortification. But sorcerers don't have the proficancy for it.

But other than that I guess that's cool. I was hoping for more non-consumibles and non-expensive stuff, but hey, not a lot of stuff is not expensive to a level 7. =D

Anyone got any ideas for the feats though?

DownwardSpiral
2008-04-22, 11:39 PM
Belt of Healing

I'm kind of ashamed I forgot this. I'm usually the first one in my group to suggest it, and also the first to buy several.

Nebo_
2008-04-22, 11:39 PM
But sorcerers don't have the proficancy for it.

Do you know what the non-proficiency penalty for armour is? You take the Armour check penalty to your attack rolls. Do you know what the armour check penalty on a mithril buckler is? 0.

Kizara
2008-04-22, 11:41 PM
So my friend is starting his first dungeons and dragons campaign with us, but he doesn't really know how to make a character. So, I'm helping him making a sorcerer focusing on summoning stuff. I got it all pretty much done, except I need help buying stuff.

I was hoping you guys could help. Level 7, going to go straight sorcerer through the whole thing (wanting to keep it simple). I also got 2 feats not used, with a first level and third level feat being used for SF(conjuration) and augment summoning.

So any help guys? =D

First I'd like to point out to you that many of the best spells in the game are Conjuration, so your friend hardly is limited to summon monster X. Also, taking multiple summon monster spells is extremely wasteful as a sorceror. Seriously, if you want a summoning experts druids are FAR better at it.

As for feats, I'm not to sure about that, as I've never tried to make this character concept. Have a look at Solo's guide.

I'll second the notion that he should get the best Cloak of Cha he can afford, then a bag of holding.

DownwardSpiral
2008-04-22, 11:48 PM
First I'd like to point out to you that many of the best spells in the game are Conjuration, so your friend hardly is limited to summon monster X. Also, taking multiple summon monster spells is extremely wasteful as a sorceror. Seriously, if you want a summoning experts druids are FAR better at it.

I only really took the spell focus for the augment summoning. And yeah, I told him that druids are kinda better at that kind of thing, but I selfishly made him a sorcerer because our party lacks an arcane person.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-04-23, 05:17 AM
Battle Sorcerer Variant could be nice for a first time sorcerer. Nice simple gish with one less spell a level to worry about. D8, Average BAB, hand held weapon proficiency and No ASF in light armor.

The two feat choices might not be an option:

I prefer the Nexus Method feat for Summoning for a Sorcerer:

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Nexus_Method,Dragon

A Bloodline feat is also nice there are a few like the Draconic:

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Draconic_Bloodline,Dragon

L7 wealth is 19,000 gp.

Edit: +1 Mithril Chain shirt is Light Armor so 2,250 gp or +2 enchantment at 5,250 gp.

+1 Shield is under 1,200 gp

+2 Cloak of Charisma is 4,000 gp

Maybe a +2 Amulet of Health for 4,000 gp with fewer wands and scrolls

Core I'd strongly suggest a Tan Bag of Tricks at 6,300 gp for summoning random Brown Bear, Lion, Heavy War Horse, Tiger or Rhinoceros 10/week for up to 10 minutes (100 rounds) each time.

Wand of Color Spray, Cure Light Wounds, Grease and Ray of Enfeeblement are only 750 gp each for a fully charged 50 charge wand.

Some assorted utility scrolls mostly first level at 25 gp market and some second level at 150 gp market which are easily accessible from your Heward's Handy Haversack at 2,000 gp which is also good for hauling your treasure.

Talya
2008-04-23, 08:47 AM
Be sure to trade in his familiar for the "Metamagic Sorcerer" variant. You don't even need the book its in to do it, it's simple. Lose Familiar. Gain the ability to metamagic spells without increasing your casting time.

I wouldn't go with battlecaster. You need those spells known.

Oh, this...

Mithril Breast Plate with a +1 Enchantment is Light Armor so 2,350 gp

...is wrong.

Cost for special materials used is calculated before any changes are made to the weight-class of the armor. A breastplate is medium armor, so mithral adds +4000gp to the cost instead of +1000gp. Then it gets changed to light armor.

(Think about it...why would there be a cost to make mithral heavy armor if all the heavy armor you made with mithral was priced at medium?)

CASTLEMIKE
2008-04-23, 11:36 AM
Oh, this...

...is wrong.

Cost for special materials used is calculated before any changes are made to the weight-class of the armor. A breastplate is medium armor, so mithral adds +4000gp to the cost instead of +1000gp. Then it gets changed to light armor.

(Think about it...why would there be a cost to make mithral heavy armor if all the heavy armor you made with mithral was priced at medium?)

Good catch since there is only a 5# difference between a Light Chain Shirt (25#) at 1,000 gp (40 gp a pound) vice a Medium Breast Plate Plate (30#) at 4,000 gp (122.3 gp a pound) I'd settle for the Mithril Chain shirt and lose that single Armor bonus for dropping down to +1 Mithril chain shirt at 2,250 gp or a +2 Mithril chain at 5,250 gp.