PDA

View Full Version : When did they turn green?

nagora
2008-04-23, 05:24 AM
There were no green-skined humanoids in 1ed unless you count trolls. When did the whole "green skined hordes" motif first appear?

Dhavaer
2008-04-23, 05:32 AM
Warhammer Fantasy, probably. Is there any green skinned 'horde race' not based on the Warhammer orcs?

AslanCross
2008-04-23, 05:44 AM
Warhammer, then Warcraft made them really green. Orcs are mostly gray in 3.5, while Goblins are brown.

Dhavaer
2008-04-23, 05:47 AM
Warhammer, then Warcraft made them really green. Orcs are mostly gray in 3.5, while Goblins are brown.

Don't goblinoids shade yellow to red?

AslanCross
2008-04-23, 06:28 AM
Hmm, this is true. I was basing this off the art. The description does say they vary widely. Green is not on the list, though.

Dhavaer
2008-04-23, 06:47 AM
Hmm, this is true. I was basing this off the art. The description does say they vary widely. Green is not on the list, though.

Sometimes I think that the people who do the art have never met the people who do the descriptions, and are possibly of a different species. Dwarves, gnomes and goblins are all good examples of this.

Kami2awa
2008-04-23, 07:51 AM
Sometimes I think that the people who do the art have never met the people who do the descriptions, and are possibly of a different species. Dwarves, gnomes and goblins are all good examples of this.

There's quite a tendency in fantasy art to revert to archetypes; for example, look at Josh Kirby's Discworld book covers. Rincewind is described in the text as young but on the cover looks like Gandalf; Nanny Ogg is described as rotund but is drawn as a stereotyped (thin) crone-like witch. Its a well known fact in fantasy art that average-looking, sensibly dressed women in the text become gorgeous scantily clad women on the cover...

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-23, 08:27 AM
There's quite a tendency in fantasy art to revert to archetypes; for example, look at Josh Kirby's Discworld book covers. Rincewind is described in the text as young but on the cover looks like Gandalf; Nanny Ogg is described as rotund but is drawn as a stereotyped (thin) crone-like witch. Its a well known fact in fantasy art that average-looking, sensibly dressed women in the text become gorgeous scantily clad women on the cover...

Is that the guy who thought Twoflower's "four eyes" were actually four eyes (rather than glasses), and drew accordingly? Those covers are freaking awful... it's like a Kaufman-like parody of fantasy art. It makes you wince and wonder if the guy is serious.

nagora
2008-04-23, 09:02 AM
Its a well known fact in fantasy art that average-looking, sensibly dressed women in the text become gorgeous scantily clad women on the cover...

Yeah, well, compare the women draped over your car in the advert with the one you actually managed to pull in it.

Ascension
2008-04-23, 10:46 AM

Aye, it's like how the sample Eye of Grummsh (a green orc, by the way) is wielding a fairly normal greataxe when mastery of the orc double axe is required to enter the prestige class.

That being said, I fully understand why the artist wouldn't want to draw a double axe, silly thing that it is...

Thinker
2008-04-23, 10:58 AM
I, for one, am glad they are green. I think all non-human humanoids should be various shades of green to yellow. It helps keep track of who the enemy is.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-23, 09:14 PM
I, for one, am glad they are green. I think all non-human humanoids should be various shades of green to yellow. It helps keep track of who the enemy is.Please tell me that was sarcastic. I have enough problems with "Usually Evil" already.

Thinker
2008-04-23, 09:20 PM
Please tell me that was sarcastic. I have enough problems with "Usually Evil" already.

I also have problems with "Usually Evil" as its not "Always Evil". Humans should be able to kill whatever they want with impunity. Its like hunting for cunning animals. Of course its sarcasm.

Aquillion
2008-04-23, 09:27 PM
I also have problems with "Usually Evil" as its not "Always Evil". Humans should be able to kill whatever they want with impunity. Its like hunting for cunning animals. Of course its sarcasm.I think they should make humans "usually evil" in the next version.

I mean, come on, people. Just LOOK AT US.

...it can also contain a note of our horrifying pink skin, tinged with nauseating varieties of white, red, brown, or yellow to mark the various unclean human brood. Some humans have blood-red marks scattered across their deathly, bonelike skin; when angered or humiliated, a human's skin may shift to an unnatural shade of red, which should be taken as an immediate warning. Even the sun itself despises this wretched race; their skin is known to blister and burn when exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods of time.

Thinker
2008-04-23, 09:52 PM
I think they should make humans "usually evil" in the next version.

I mean, come on, people. Just LOOK AT US.

...it can also contain a note of our horrifying pink skin, tinged with nauseating varieties of white, red, brown, or yellow to mark the various unclean human brood. Some humans have blood-red marks scattered across their deathly, bonelike skin; when angered or humiliated, a human's skin may shift to an unnatural shade of red, which should be taken as an immediate warning. Even the sun itself despises this wretched race; their skin is known to blister and burn when exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods of time.

Erm...humans should be Usually Good. We are the paragons of what most races should aspire to. The ones that shouldn't aspire to be like us are the ones that are meatsacks filled with XP.

It could contain a note that you can identify the purest of races by their pinkish skin that can range in many colors, except green (of course). The warning sign is a warning for those of inferior breeds that their evilness has crossed the line. The Sun is a cruel mistress and as bad as she is to humans, she is far worse to the green-skins.

Ascension
2008-04-23, 09:58 PM
No, no, no, it's the blue skins who we should aspire to emulate. The frost giants' listing as evil in 3E is just one element of a massive smear campaign started by the Norse gods against the noble and gentle big blue guys.

Green, pink, they'll all fall before the righteous blue tide!

Collin152
2008-04-23, 09:59 PM
"What can you expect from filthy little heathens?
Here's what you get when races are Diverse!
Their skins are hellish red!
They're only good when dead!
They're vermin as I said, and worse!"
"This is what we feared, the paleface is a demon,
the only thing they feel at all is greed.
Beneath that milky hide, theres emptiness inside.
I wonder if they even bleed!"

Thinker
2008-04-23, 10:01 PM
No, no, no, it's the blue skins who we should aspire to emulate. The frost giants' listing as evil in 3E is just one element of a massive smear campaign started by the Norse gods against the noble and gentle big blue guys.

Green, pink, they'll all fall before the righteous blue tide!

I bet you go to all the Blue Man Group shows. You are everything that is wrong with gaming. Hang the green-skins, but burn the blues.

Collin152
2008-04-23, 10:06 PM
Suffer not a greenback to live, be they orc, goblin or Greenstar Adept.

Ascension
2008-04-23, 10:08 PM
I bet you go to all the Blue Man Group shows. You are everything that is wrong with gaming. Hang the green-skins, but burn the blues.

No, no, no, greens can't be all bad, I've got some storm giant friends with green skin. Now I think we can all agree that red is evil. Those no-account fire giants need to be given a dose of humility, stat!

((Giants: Also color coded for your convenience!))

Thinker
2008-04-23, 10:12 PM
No, no, no, greens can't be all bad, I've got some storm giant friends with green skin. Now I think we can all agree that red is evil. Those no-account fire giants need to be given a dose of humility, stat!

((Giants: Also color coded for your convenience!))

You should listen to Collin more. All you need to know is if it is a non-human color it is definitely bad and should be destroyed.

monty
2008-04-23, 10:18 PM
I, for one, am glad they are green. I think all non-human humanoids should be various shades of green to yellow. It helps keep track of who the enemy is.

That's a good idea. Then you can just kill everything that isn't yellow or green. Why didn't I think of that before?

Collin152
2008-04-23, 10:18 PM
You should listen to Collin more.

Yes indeed you should.
Always.
Now lets go burn us some greenies.

Thinker
2008-04-23, 10:28 PM
That's a good idea. Then you can just kill everything that isn't yellow or green. Why didn't I think of that before?

You must be one of those greeny sympathizers. You're worth almost as much XP as the greenskins themselves. I only know you're not one because you have mastered the ability to type and your language has evolved past grunts, clicks, and whistles.

monty
2008-04-23, 10:37 PM
Hey, we have adventurers too. They just don't kill as indiscriminately as the weaker races, so you don't hear as much about them.

Collin152
2008-04-23, 10:41 PM
You must be one of those greeny sympathizers. You're worth almost as much XP as the greenskins themselves. I only know you're not one because you have mastered the ability to type and your language has evolved past grunts, clicks, and whistles.

Hey, even Trolls type.
That's why we flame them, right?

monty
2008-04-23, 10:43 PM
Hey, even Trolls type.
That's why we flame them, right?

If you must kill them, of course you flame them. Or drug them; acid works just as well.

Collin152
2008-04-23, 10:46 PM
If you must kill them, of course you flame them. Or drug them; acid works just as well.

So, flaming tirades, yes. Acid wit, yes. Scathing sarcasm, no?

Sholos
2008-04-23, 10:57 PM

The thin one is Granny Weatherwax, not Nanny Ogg.

Dhavaer
2008-04-23, 11:00 PM
The thin one is Granny Weatherwax, not Nanny Ogg.

They're often both thin on Kirby's covers.