PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler Feats

Burley
2008-04-23, 08:47 AM
I just leveled up my players to level 3. Our resident beguiler asked for advice on feats. He's thinking about Spell Focus (Illusion), but I'm sure there's something better out there. (By the way, I've already told him about dipping one level in the Mindbender(?) PrC, and then using his extended learning for Shadow Evocation.)
So, what are some good feats for a 3rd level beguiler? Help me look smart in front of my players.

Frosty
2008-04-23, 09:36 AM
Obtain Familiar is nice, although I forgot if there's a level requirement for it. Spell Focus is never bad with a Beguiler, because most of his spells are save or sucks.

Reinboom
2008-04-23, 10:03 AM
Shadow Weave Magic
Player's Guide to Faerun

+1 Save DCs to Enchantment, Illusion, and Necromancy, +1 Caster level as well
-1 Save DCs to Evocation and Transmutation

You must either have Shar as a matron deity -or- 15 Wis, however.

DrizztFan24
2008-04-23, 10:09 AM
It actually is not a bad idea considering almost all of the beguiler's spells are either illusion or enchanment. It just depends on his play style and how creative he can get with illusions. Keep in mind though that many of his spells won't work against undead or contructs.

*looks at TOS+ sheet*

Yea my beguiler took both spell focus and greater spell focus illusion. He also has weapon finesse and improved feint. It depends on if he wants to do more "combat with casting" or "casting with combat."

mithrandir86
2008-04-27, 05:38 PM
If you're playing in the Forgotten Realms, I would have to echo SweetRein's advice for Shadow Weave Magic.

The only downside that I can think of for that choice is the -1 DC for Slow, one of the only Beguiler spells that affects mindless opponents. And Slow is just awesome.

Spell Focus (Illusion) is a good choice now, especially since I suspect your player is going willy-nilly with the Color Spray. In the long run, however, I would advise going with Spell Focus (Enchantment) (and Greater Spell Focus) since the number of spells reliant on DCs is very high.

Improved Initiative is also a good choice.

Tren
2008-04-27, 06:04 PM
If you're playing in the Forgotten Realms, I would have to echo SweetRein's advice for Shadow Weave Magic.

The only downside that I can think of for that choice is the -1 DC for Slow, one of the only Beguiler spells that affects mindless opponents. And Slow is just awesome.

I'll second that, I just finished a FR campaign as a beguiler and Shadow weave magic is a very flavorful, incredibly effective boost. Though the minus on Slow did become a pain as I frequently found myself facing a disproportionate number of undead and mindless creatures.

mithrandir86
2008-04-29, 06:48 AM
I'll second that, I just finished a FR campaign as a beguiler and Shadow weave magic is a very flavorful, incredibly effective boost. Though the minus on Slow did become a pain as I frequently found myself facing a disproportionate number of undead and mindless creatures.

If Undead feature prominently in your campaign (as they do many), I would suggest taking the Song of the Dead feat (DR312 pg 92). It adds 1 to the spell level, but allows Mind-affecting spells to affect intelligent undead. It changes the school of the spell to necromancy, however.

It also increases your casting time to a full-round action. But still, there's something to be said for casting Confusion on a Vampire.

Paul H
2008-04-29, 08:12 AM
Hi

Spell Focus reinforces the power of Beguilers - the Save or Suck already mentioned.

Unsettling Enchantment (CM pg 48) penalise targets of your enchantments with -2 AC & attacks for 1 rnd, regardless if they saved.

Nightmare Spinner is great for Beguilers. Panick your opponents, deal extra non-lethal damage to your spells, even make monsters drop dead with fright! It's a 5 level PrC, but you lose 1 CL.

Arcane Disciple is a good one at 6th. Just add all those Domain spells to your spell list, albeit 1/day.

Cheers
Paul H

Wagadodo
2008-04-29, 09:30 AM
I have to agree with Paul. Unsettling Enchanment is a nice one to have. I have player in one of my games that has this feat and it helps out greatly in fights.

I would seriously think about getting spell focus enchantment instead of illusion. But that is me.

Craig1f
2008-04-29, 09:33 AM
Shadow Weave Magic
Player's Guide to Faerun

+1 Save DCs to Enchantment, Illusion, and Necromancy, +1 Caster level as well
-1 Save DCs to Evocation and Transmutation

You must either have Shar as a matron deity -or- 15 Wis, however.

I read this feat recently, and I believe it's just -1 to the caster level of Evocation and Transmutation, not -1 DC.

And the +1 Caster Level for enchantment, illusion, and necro is against Spell Resistance only. I don't believe you get +1 caster level for the purposes of the spell effects.

Craig1f
2008-04-29, 09:40 AM
I have to agree with Paul. Unsettling Enchanment is a nice one to have. I have player in one of my games that has this feat and it helps out greatly in fights.

I would seriously think about getting spell focus enchantment instead of illusion. But that is me.

If you're not planning on entering the Shadowspell Mage PrC, then you're probably right.

If you're using illusions right, the enemy shouldn't be getting a chance to make many will saves (since they have to interact with the illusion in some way). Enchantments, on the other hand, are usually save-or-die.

Dr Bwaa
2008-04-29, 02:08 PM
How long-running is this campaign? I ask because if the PCs are going to get up into the teens level-wise, Spell Focus in both Illusion and Enchantment are both very good bets: they let you (along with that silly skill focus) qualify for Archmage, which is always nice.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-29, 02:24 PM
I second Arcane Disciple. It's awesome for beguilers. Heck, take it twice, even.

Also, Improved Initiative is going to be useful.

And, of course, metamagic. Extend and Quicken, in particular.

Craig1f
2008-04-29, 02:29 PM
I'm playing a beguiler right now, level 3. Here's my current path

Whispergnome
1: Spell focus (illusion)
3: Earth Sense (RoS)
6: Shadow Weave Magic (PGtFR)
9: Heighten Spell
12: Earth Spell (RoS)
15: Obtain Familiar (maybe. Might not be worth it this late in the game)

Level 7 Take a level of Mindbender.
Level 8 Take Shadow Well as my advanced learning spell for
Level 9 Enter Shadowcraft Mage PrC

Frosty
2008-04-29, 02:36 PM
Go Travel and Luck domains for Arcane Disciple. Travel has awesome spells like Fly, Teleport, Astral projection, etc. Luck has Miracle.

Chronos
2008-04-29, 02:55 PM
And, of course, metamagic. Extend and Quicken, in particular.I thought beguilers couldn't use Quicken Spell? Them being spontaneous casters, and all.

Frosty
2008-04-29, 03:00 PM
There is a fea called Rapid Metmaagic or something. It removes that restriction, since applying metamagic oesn't increase casting time anymore.

Paul H
2008-04-29, 09:15 PM
Hi

There is a feat called Arcane Preparation or something - allows spontaneous casters to prepare a spell beforehand, so they can use metamagic feats without spending a full round action.

Totally agree with Improved Initiative - so many bad things happen to opponents when you go first.

If you have the money, Belt of Battle(MIC, cost 12,000gp), has 3 gems. One allows extra move action. Two for standard action, three allows estra full round action. there may be better items out there.

Cheers
Paul H

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-29, 09:24 PM
I'd suggest that instead of improved initiative, a couple level down the line get a warning[sic] weapon. A bit expensive, but gets you +5 to initiative, and its found in the Magic Item Compenium. Of course, if you don't have access to the MIC its not an option, but a +2 weapon(warning is a +1 effective enchantment bonus) is cheaper than a feat in the long run(this may depend on the level range that the campaign will be active for).

Craig1f
2008-04-30, 08:26 AM
If you have the money, Belt of Battle(MIC, cost 12,000gp), has 3 gems. One allows extra move action. Two for standard action, three allows estra full round action. there may be better items out there.

Hahahaha. Wait wait wait ... did you just suggest that a better item might exist than Belt of Battle? It's a steal at three times the cost. Belt of Battle is the single most overpowered item in the game. Everyone should own two.