PDA

View Full Version : thread formatting for this forum

Tectorman
2008-04-23, 11:29 AM
Hi, I'm from the Gleemax D&D forum boards, where we have various codes for making things italicized, formatted like in MWord even though the threads don't like tabbing or spacing, etc.

I see that some of the codes work the same, but are there any changes I need to be aware of before I start posting all my homebrews here?

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-04-23, 11:39 AM
Both forums use the vBulletin software, which uses the widely-accepted BBCode for formatting, so there shouldn't be any differences. The only possible differences would result from features enabled by specific plugins, and I don't think the sites differ too much in that regard.

Jack Squat
2008-04-23, 11:56 AM
Haven't been over there, don't know the differences, but I'll try and name off everything.

[b], [i], [u] Bold / Italic / Underline
[color] Color
[size] Size
[font] Font
[highlight] Highlight
[left], [right], [center] Left / Right / Center
[indent] Indent
[email] Email Linking
[url] URL Hyperlinking
[thread] Thread Linking
[post] Post Linking
[list] Bulleted Lists / Advanced Lists
[img] Images
[code] Code
[php] PHP Code
[html] HTML Code
[quote] Quote
[noparse] Stop vB Code Parsing
[attach] Attachment
[s] Strikethrough
[spoiler] Spoiler
[sub] Subscript
[sup] Superscript
{table] table

That's from the FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode)

I know [html] is blocked because of the potential of malicious code being put in. I'm pretty sure [attatch] and [php] are for the same reasons.

There are others I haven't seen used, so don't know if they're valid or not, but most work.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-23, 02:19 PM
To the list add:

<br>: Line break, only need to use inside tables, where a normal carriage return forces a new row.
<hr>: Horizontal Rule
[indent]: Indents a block of text

Note that <br> and <hr> are subject to a bug that causes the square bracket to be replaced with an angle bracket when the text is quoted or edited. The resulting code must be manually fixed.

Also, the FAQ entry for table markup does not include descriptions of several options (such as colspans and automatic sorting) that can be used in one's tables. Thus far they are only described in a very old thread.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-04-23, 06:26 PM
I know [html] is blocked because of the potential of malicious code being put in. I'm pretty sure [attatch] and [php] are for the same reasons.

No, using HTML in place of BBCode is prohibited, not the tags. The [html] and [php] tags simply format the text like a [code] block does, but with syntax highlighting added.