PDA

View Full Version : Walking Colossus [PrC]

Zeta Kai
2008-04-23, 01:43 PM
Walking Colossus

“Oh, my god, it’s huge! It’s a giant… Redgar?”

Some people consider magic to be an art form, a craft of shaping the very fabric or reality. Others see is a science of sorts, an arcane mystery to be explored & solved. There are those, though, that see it as a tool, to be applied to a situation to solve a problem & little more. For these practically-minded folk, there is the appealing path of the Walking Colossus, an incarnate challenge to the axiom “size doesn’t matter.”

The Walking Colossus is, for the most part, a non-spellcaster who uses magic to accomplish a goal, gaining size & strength in order to be more effective on the battlefield. Walking Colossi use their thorough understanding of the Enlarge Person spell to grow to tremendous sizes, towering over obstacles & dwarfing opponents. This simple-yet-effective application of magic allows them to be wild cards in combat, shocking foes almost as quickly as they are swept away.

Requirements
• BAB: +5
• Feats: Spell Mastery (Enlarge Person)
• Spells: ability to cast Enlarge Person
Fastest Route: Fighter 5/Wiz 1

Class Information
Hit Die: d8
Class Skills: The Walking Colossus’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis) & Swim (Str).
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Walking Colossus. See level progression on Table 1-1: The Walking Colossus (PrC) for more information.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: You gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Increase Size (Su): At 1st level, you can grow up to 1 size category larger (Colossal maximum) for up to 10 minutes (100 rounds) per class level. This time does not have to be spent consecutively, & can be broken up as you see fit. Changing size (either increasing it or returning to one’s normal size) is a full-round action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. For stat changes caused by size increases, consult Table 1-2: New Size Statistics. This spell does not change your speed. If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, you attain the maximum possible size & may make a Strength check (using your increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process; if the check fails, you are constrained without harm by the materials enclosing you. You, therefore, cannot be crushed or otherwise harmed by increasing your size. All equipment worn or carried by you is similarly enlarged by the effect. Melee & projectile weapons affected by this ability deal more damage. Other magical properties are not affected by this ability. Any enlarged item that leaves your possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage, & projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them. Magical properties of enlarged items are not increased by this ability. Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack, so use of spells to increase size further are not effective, but a successful reduce person spell will decrease your size. As this ability is not a spell, it cannot be made permanent with a permanency spell. At 4th level, you can grow up to 2 size categories, at 7th level, you can grow up to 3 size categories, & at 10th level, you can grow up to 4 size categories (Colossal maximum). The transformation round to increase one’s size counts as 1 round of use, but the transformation round to reduce one’s size does not.

Spells per Day: At 2nd, 5th, 8th level, you gain new spells per day as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class you belonged to before adding the prestige class. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a Walking Colossus, you must decide to which class you add the new level for purposes of determining spells known.

Slam Attack (Ex): At 3rd level, you can use your mighty fists to produce a slam attack (20/×2 critical) on a successful melee attack. Your slam is a natural weapon. If you do not already have a slam attack, use the appropriate damage value from Table 1-3: Damage by Size. If you already have other kinds of natural weapons, retain your old damage values or use the appropriate value on Table 1-3, whichever is better.

Trample Attack (Ex): At 6th level, you can use a trample attack on opponents, as per the special ability. As a full-round action, you can move up to twice your speed & literally run over any opponents at least 1 size category smaller than yourself. You merely have to move over the opponents in your path; any creature whose space is completely covered by your space is subject to the trample attack. If a target’s space is larger than 5’, it is only considered trampled if you move over all the squares it occupies. If you move over only some of a target’s space, the target can make an attack of opportunity against you at a -4 penalty. If you accidentally end your movement in an illegal space, you return to the last legal position that you occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer. A trample attack deals bludgeoning damage (your slam damage + 1˝ × your Strength modifier). Trampled opponents can attempt attacks of opportunity, but these take a -4 penalty. If they do not make attacks of opportunity, trampled opponents can attempt Reflex saves to take ˝ damage. The save DC against your trample attack is 10 + ˝ of your HD + your Strength modifier. You can only deal trampling damage to each target once per round, no matter how many times your movement takes you over a target creature.

Awesome Blow (Ex): At 9th level, you gain Awesome Blow as a bonus feat. You do not need the Power Attack or Improved Bull Rush feats to perform this action, but your current size must be Large or larger, & you must have a Strength score that is currently 25 or more. As a standard action, you may choose to subtract 4 from your melee attack roll & deliver an awesome blow. If you successfully hit an opponent smaller than yourself with an awesome blow, your opponent must succeed on a Reflex save (DC = damage dealt) or be knocked flying 10’ in a direction of your choice & fall prone. You can only push the opponent in a straight line, & the opponent can’t move closer to you than the square it started in. If an obstacle prevents the completion of the opponent’s move, the opponent & the obstacle each take 1d6 points of damage, & the opponent stops in the space adjacent to the obstacle.

Zeta Kai
2008-04-23, 01:50 PM
Table 1-1: Walking Colossus (PrC)
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Increase Size 1|
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3||+1 level of existing spellcasting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Slam Attack|
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Increase Size 2|
5th|+2|+2|+2|+4||+1 level of existing spellcasting class
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Trample Attack|
7th|+3|+3|+3|+5|Increase Size 3|
8th|+4|+3|+3|+6||+1 level of existing spellcasting class
9th|+4|+4|+4|+6|Awesome Blow
10th|+5|+4|+4|+7|Increase Size 4[/table]

http://ui14.gamespot.com/749/mshadow20of20mthe20colossus202003screenshotlarge_2 .jpg

Zeta Kai
2008-04-23, 01:52 PM
Table 1-2: New Size Statistics
{table=head]Base Size|New Size|Strength*|Dexterity*|Constitution*|Hit Dice|Natural Armor*|AC & Attack Bonuses*|Space*|Reach (Tall/Long)*|Ave. Size Incr.|Ave. Weight Incr.|Grapple Mod.|Hide Mod.
Fine|Diminutive|+1 (+˝)|-2 (-1)|same|+˝|same|-4 (size)|+˝’|+0’/+0’|+6”|+1/2 lb.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Diminutive|Tiny|+2 (+1)|-2 (-1)|same|+1|same|-2 (size)|+1˝’|+0’/+0’|+9”|+5 lbs.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Tiny|Small|+4 (+2)|-2 (-1)|+1 (+˝)|+1|same|-1 (size)|+2˝’|+5’/+5’|+18”|+36 lb.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Small|Medium|+6 (+3)|-2 (-1)|+2 (+1)|+2|+1|-1 (size)|+0’|+0’/+0’|+3’|+240 lb.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Medium|Large|+8 (+4)|-2 (-1)|+4 (+2)|+2|+2|-1 (size)|+5’|+5’/+0’|+6’|+2000 lb.|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Large|Huge|+8 (+4)|-2 (-1)|+4 (+2)|+2|+3|-1 (size)|+5’|+5’/+5’|+12’|+8 tons|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Huge|Gargantuan|+8 (+4)|same|+4 (+2)|+2|+4|-2 (size)|+5’|+5’/+5’|+24’|+80 tons|+4 (size)|-4 (size)
Gargantuan|Colossal|+8 (+4)|same|+4 (+2)|+2|+5|-4 (size)|+10’|+10’/+5’|+48’|+200 tons|+4 (size)|-4 (size)[/table]
*-These values are primarily taken from the SRD, & are used to increase the size by 1 category to the best of my ability.

Zeta Kai
2008-04-23, 01:54 PM
Table 1-3: Damage by Size
{table=head]Size|Damage
Fine|1
Diminutive|1d2
Tiny|1d3
Small|1d4
Medium|1d6
Large|1d8
Huge|2d6
Gargantuan|2d8
Colossal|4d6[/table]

Stycotl
2008-04-23, 02:41 PM
well, right off the bat i think that this needs more prerequisites. though i am not sure exactly what. it also needs better formatting. i am getting a headache just staring at the screen, and i hate scrolling left and right. call me lazy, but that's my first impression.

it's better to make two normal tables than one gianormous one.

lord of kobolds
2008-04-23, 03:18 PM
I Do Think It Needs More Prerequisites. The Term "thorough Understanding" Seems To Imply More Than Just The Ability To Cast The Spell. A Sorceror Would Have Almost No Understanding Of The Spell. Maybe If You Added Spell Focus (transmutation) As A Prereq., It Might Work Better.

Kizara
2008-04-23, 03:41 PM
I Do Think It Needs More Prerequisites. The Term "thorough Understanding" Seems To Imply More Than Just The Ability To Cast The Spell. A Sorceror Would Have Almost No Understanding Of The Spell. Maybe If You Added Spell Focus (transmutation) As A Prereq., It Might Work Better.

For your information, in English we don't have to capatilize every word. Merely the words at the beginning of the sentance and proper nouns, such as Canada (for instance).

Zeta Kai
2008-04-23, 06:40 PM
I've edited the requirements, adding the need for the Spell Mastery feat (used for Enlarge Person, of course). Now you'd need to be a Fighter 6/ Wizard 1 at least before entering this class. Better?

Stycotl
2008-04-23, 11:10 PM
format! format! format!

i for one refuse to capitalize unless i am writing up something official. take that english!

Zeta Kai
2008-04-24, 07:31 AM
I trimmed down Table 1-2 to remove some extraneous &/or erroneous data. It will not be trimmed further, as it is formatted just fine, & 2 tables would be ugly, confusing, & difficult. PEACH the class, not the table.

Realms of Chaos
2008-04-25, 08:17 AM
You know you're just asking for a Lizardfolk Fighter 5/Wizard 1/Walking Colossus 10 named Godzilla. You know that, right?

Obrysii
2008-04-25, 08:28 AM
Why does the table say HD +2 for Colossal size? Do they gain 2 hit dice when they grow that large?

Zeta Kai
2008-04-25, 06:07 PM
You know you're just asking for a Lizardfolk Fighter 5/Wizard 1/Walking Colossus 10 named Godzilla. You know that, right?

It wasn't designed with that in mind, but I would smile as I groaned if it showed up at my table. :smallbiggrin:

Why does the table say HD +2 for Colossal size? Do they gain 2 hit dice when they grow that large?

They do, if they are already Gargantuan in size (refer to Columns 1 & 2 on Table 1-2). For a Medium-sized character that turns into a Colossal-sized character (only possible for a 10th level Walking Colossus) they would gain +8HD for the duration of the effect (+2HD for each size category increase).

LucyHarris
2008-10-05, 01:15 PM
I apologize for the necro-posting, but I just HAD to comment on this.

It's awesome.

I started chuckling when I read the description (enormous canon PC!), and then my mind went straight to those "Attack of the 50ft. Something-Something" movies.

I'm tempted to try a truly silly build, just to see if I could cough up a Mothra or something along those lines.

sigurd
2008-10-17, 07:49 PM
Thread necromancy or no, this looks like a fun concept. I definitely want to use it.

I like the way you balanced the size benefits with a lousy BAB.

Sigurd

lord of kobolds
2008-10-18, 10:46 PM
For your information, in English we don't have to capatilize every word. Merely the words at the beginning of the sentance and proper nouns, such as Canada (for instance).

So sue me, my computer is a piece of crap. I speak english as a primary, and only, language. My computer, on the other hand, is a total moron.

vegetalss4
2008-10-19, 01:40 AM
are there any way to get back the time you can become larger in?
else it wouldn't be long before you are a figther 5 wizard 4 commoner-with-sligthly-better-hit-dice-will-save-and-skill-list 7

Icewalker
2008-10-19, 01:52 AM
Uh...how exactly does one go about increasing hit dice as a character? Gaining it as 'humanoid' hit dice? HP as class level? That kind of thing tends to not happen in size-increasing abilities or spells, I believe.

Same goes for Natural Armor. Do you really gain +2 natural armor from Enlarge Person from medium to large?

DracoDei
2008-10-19, 07:43 AM
So he isn't following the spell exactly? So what? And there is a bardic music effect that basically grants extra HD in some ways..."Inspire Heroics" I think...

Zeta Kai
2008-10-19, 09:04 AM
DracoDei has got it about right. This prestige class gives characters the opportunity to become large-&-in-charge, while providing certain balances to that state. In the D20 system, size does matter, but the advantage usually goes to the smaller creatures. Sure, they may be weaker (lower Strength), but they gain bonuses to attack, AC, & Hide, greatly offsetting their few penalties. Larger creatures have the exact opposite, often putting them at a disadvantage in regards to their smaller opponents. This PrC adds natural armor & extra HD to the automatic bonuses/penalties of becoming larger, therefore sweetening the deal for would-be Godzillas.

sigurd
2008-10-19, 11:48 AM
Can I suggest a couple of tweaks to your table?

Add an increased penalty to hide as you slowly increase the movement rate. Colossal characters should find it substantially harder to hide and limiting them to 30' would seem really awkward.

Your AC & Attack bonus column is not very clear - everything is a negative.

Sigurd

Zeta Kai
2008-10-19, 04:37 PM
I agree that an increase in size should make for an increase in speed, but even Durkon knows that it usually doesn't work that way (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0453.html). Also, the Hide modifiers (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/hide.htm) are already set for the RAW amount dictated by a creature's size; anything more would be arbitrarily punitive.

As for the AC & Attack Bonuses column of Table 1-2: New Size Statistics, you should simply find the row that has your base size, find the row that has your new size, & add up the penalties for those rows (& any rows in between). This method can be used to determine your stats for any of the columns, as they are all cumulative. Let me know if you need detailed examples.

SilentNight
2008-10-19, 07:25 PM
Very awesome, I love it. I am confused on one point though. What type are the hit dice granted by the size increase? The base creature's type? Also, do they grant feats for the duration of the enlargement?

Triaxx
2008-10-20, 02:30 PM
No, a Half-Dragon Lizardfolk, with a Force Dragon Ancestor. Then Fighter 5/Wizard 1/Walking Colossus 10. Now it's Godzilla.