PDA

View Full Version : Gnorc (Half-Orc/Gnome) Homebrewed Race

Kyroswolf
2008-04-23, 02:12 PM
One of my players asked me to work on a Gnorc. This is the mating of a full blood orc and a full blood gnome. I compared the stats of each and came up with this. My question is should this receive a LA?

+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Wis, -2 Cha
Medium Size
Base land speed of 20 ft
Low Light Vision
No weapon familiarity
+1 bonus on saves vs illusions
+1 racial bonus to Listen
Languages: Common, Gnome, and Orc
Favored Class: Rogue

Like I said I just wondered if this needs a LA. The stat bonuses are the main thing that worries me.

AugustNights
2008-04-23, 03:38 PM
Uhm, it's not very balanced Stat-wise if you're asking.
Strength is worth more than a -2. Why anymore I don't know, all stats really seem to equal out anymore thanks to all the crazy classes there are, but then again, strength is always a good thing.

Question 1) Why?

Question 2) No chance of any flavor?

Question 3) ...For some reason I see green men with goatee's running around breaking item that don't belong to them... The opposite likeness of an artificer, the Bashificer. That or a big fella telling you there is a tree behind you, you tell him there isn't so he crushes your head...and then tells the next guy there's a cat near his feet. (Orcish Illusionist.)

StoryKeeper
2008-04-23, 04:18 PM
I'm not the best with mechanics, but I don't think this is very unbalanced. At most, it would be a +1 level adjustment.
Strength and constitution tend to be used slightly more than Cha and Wis, and the two compliment each other well for a melee character (which is probably what these were intended for.) Cha and Wis don't compliment each other quite as well for spellcasters, so... something (lost my train of thought, sorry.)
The +1s VS illussion and to listen checks are ok, but not great, and you're a medium creature with 20 speed. Hmm... I don't think it needs a level adjustment, but I could be wrong.

Kyroswolf
2008-04-23, 04:45 PM
Well...Here is some of the fluff behind this crunch.

This particular character has a Orc father and a gnome mother. He also has some full gnome siblings.

He gets the +1 illusion save because his gnomish siblings harassed him with their illusion skills as a young child.

The size of this guys is closer to a dwarf than an orc, hence the medium size, but only 20ft speed.

There is lack of an Int penalty because of the gnomes penchant for illusions, though this gnorc gets no bonus to illusion DCs.

The str and con bonuses are simply a lessened orc str mod and the gnome con mod. The penalties to Wis and Cha are from his orc half. Plus you know this guy has to be ugly.

So far I have 1 for a +1 LA and 1 for no LA. Any other opinions? Would doing away with the +2 Str remove any brokenness?

Vadin
2008-04-23, 05:14 PM
Hate to drag up old material, but...

Here's what we came up with while creating Cataclysm of Green (the link is in my sig):

Personality: Gnork societies organize into squads: an extended family group that tends to live together in it's own group of houses and care for its own patch of land. Four to fifteen squads will generally ally into a larger group known as a clan. The clan is ruled by a council of six individuals powerful in magic, combat, and knowledge, two leaders representing each: The Wars, the Wierds, and the Wise. Generally, the Wars will be orcish, the Wise gnomish, and the Wierds Gnorks or Gnomes. Membership on this ruling council is based on merit; when a leader dies, or a credible challenge is issued, a contest is held in front of the clan. The rules can vary, as long as the contest proves worthiness in the appropriate attribute and is agreeable to both participants. Generally, the Wars will hold a tourament or battle royale, the Wierds will put on a pyrotechnic show, and the Wise will predict one treasure to be found and one tragedy to befall the clan before years end (It's generally assumed that if you can fake these, you must be pretty wise anyway).

Gnork society is agricultural. Gnomes tend to take care of much of the farming and upkeep of farm equipment and beasts of burden; Orcs perform heavy labor and keep up the clan's defenses, and Gnorks tend to be hunters (The occasional sorceror focuses on becoming a Wierd, instead)

Physical Description (Gnome): Gnomes wear well-made, earth-toned clothing. Their best suit of clothes is usually heavily embroidered with blue and white thread. Most gnomes are well-tanned, with fair hair and light blue eyes. They are often engaged in farming, and most carry a belt or bandolier with a few tools on it.

Physical Description (Orc): Orcs tend towards leather clothing, usually a leather vest (left open to display any scars they may have attained) and simple loincloth. Orcs who aren't currently working or are preparing for a fight often wear light armor instead. Their armor usually has a leering face painted on it in bright, garish colors.

Physical Description (Gnork): Gnorks are a halfbreed race that sometimes results from the mixing of orc and gnome blood (as often as not, the offspring of such a pairing is a full orc or gnome). Their skin is usually a light green, and their ears are pointed. Their hair and eye color covers the regular human range. A Gnork stands about 4'6" to 5' tall, and resembles a well built human. Gnorks favor soft leather clothing, with an array of pockets.

Relations: Gnorks are quite open to trade; and delight at the company of a friendly traveler. Unfamiliar stories will buy you room and board, and the right secret (whether how to make alchemists fire, the password to buy steel items from a kobold fief, where an old wizard lives, or even just an old book of recipes) can get you in the elder's good graces. Gnork communities don't have much to trade apart from leather, lumber, and food, but all of that is good quality. They'll take seeds, trinkets and currency in trade.

Religeon: Three races, three councils, three gods.

Adas, goddess of fertility and the harvest, is depicted as a pregnant woman sitting cross-legged. Gnorkish homes contain an altar to Adas (or a small brass idol if they can get one). An ear of corn is left to dry on the altar or in the lap of the idol for the whole year. Adas' festival is at harvest time; the whole clan gathers for a bonfire, and the corn is popped on the cob.

Achoch, a guardian diety, is depicted as a one-eyed orcish warrior. A depiction of him is carved or painted on the doorframe (so that it is hidden when the door is shut) of each home; that he can examine anyone who might threaten the family. His festival is on the winter solstice. From dusk until dawn on the longest night of the year, the man of each house covers his left eye, and sits in the doorway of his home with a weapon across his knees. This is to give Achoch the night off, in thanks for his vigilance the rest of the year.

Atavas, secret keeper, is depicted as a man with a quarterstaff. His face left blank. A relief of Atavas is carved into a tree beside each entrance to the clan's territory. Hunters rub the face of one of these effigies in prayer that he will show them the hiding place of their prey before a hunt; when returning from a successful hunt they make a tally-mark in blood on the tree. Atavas' festival is the spring solstice; every light in the village is extinguished from dusk till dawn, and guessing games are played.

Gnork Lands: Gnorks live in cleared sections of rainforest or grassland. There is usually a river or network of streams running through the cleared area, and they have cleared dirt roads for easy travel between squads, and perhaps friendly neighbors.

Gnome Racial Traits

* Small Humanoid
* Base Land Speed: 20ft
* +2 Constitution, -2 Strength: Gnomes are hardy, but physically weak.
* Low-light vision: Gnomes can see twice as far as normal in dim light. Low-light vision is color vision. A spellcaster with low-light vision can read a scroll as long as even the tiniest candle flame is next to her as a source of light.
* Illusion Affinity: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions. Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects, such as the Spell Focus feat.
* Targeted training:+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears) and a +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants). (I dunno about this one)
* Keen Senses: +2 racial bonus on Listen and Craft: Alchemy checks.
* Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level.
* Favored Class: Bard

Gnork Racial Traits

* Medium Humanoid
* Base Land Speed: 30ft
* +2 Str, +2 Dex, -4 Wis: Gnorks are tough and agile, but extremely short-tempered and often times irrational.
* Darkvision: Gnorks have the ability to see in the dark despite the lack of any light. They have 60ft darkvision.
* Athletic: Gnorks are very athletic and often climb, leap and dash through the jungles with ease. A gnork gains a +2 racial bonus to all Jump and Climb checks as well as a +4 bonus to Use Rope checks to swing across a gap.
* Natural Magic: All gnorks are born with the innate ability to use wild magic. A gnork with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: Prestidigitation and Detect Magic each once per day per hit die. Additionally, a gnork Druid or Ranger may use his charisma score instead of wisdom for spellcasting.
* Favored Class: Ranger

Orc Racial Traits

* Medium Humanoid
* Base Land Speed: 30ft
* +4 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Orcs are strong, and that's about all they have going for them.
* Darkvision: Orcs have the ability to see in the dark despite the lack of any light. They have 60ft darkvision.
* Light Sensitivity: Orcs are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell. (I think this should be removed for these orcs, what with living above-ground and all.)
* Favored Class: Barbarian

Kyroswolf
2008-04-23, 09:15 PM
Interesting idea on the Gnorc race, however in my campaign their isn't a gnorc society. This gnorc is literally unique. Perhaps he will meet others, but that won't be for a while.

Vadin
2008-04-24, 04:46 PM
I hope, at least, the stats can be of some use.

Repeekluos
2008-04-24, 06:33 PM
The stats are fine. +2 Str isn’t worth more than one minus. Even if it were, the penalty to speed is more than enough to make up for it. The only thing I would change is take a hit to Dex instead of Cha for a few reasons. Gnomes are known to be pretty charismatic, and can help balance the not so charismatic aspects of Orcs. Also, I say Dex due to the fact that the character is a little compact. He does only move a 20 feet after all, suggesting some physical limitations. The third reason is Dex has a bigger negative mechanical effect than Cha, leaving any balance issues behind.