PDA

View Full Version : Prequel book 3 (spoilers) What will it be?

hamishspence
2008-04-23, 02:56 PM
I hope Sapphire Guard, with lots of background on Soon, Shojo, O-Chul and Miko. Especially covering events leading up to attack on the previous Bearer of the Crimson Mantle. Done right, it would be very, very good.

Gamerlord
2008-04-23, 02:57 PM
i want eatiher

a.lieaner guild backstory

or

b. order of the scribble adventures

Mauve Shirt
2008-04-23, 03:04 PM
I would like all three please.

Ironlich
2008-04-23, 03:12 PM
Ithink It will be about Soon and the others, when they located and locked the rifts in the first place.

Calinero
2008-04-23, 03:33 PM
Has there been official word of a third prequel book?

ZFR
2008-04-23, 03:46 PM
I'd like it to be the Linear Guild story.

Porthos
2008-04-23, 03:54 PM
Has there been official word of a third prequel book?

Sort of. Rich mentioned doing two prequel books beyond Origins in one of his commentaries in No Cure for the Paladin Blues. Start of Darkness has been made since that time, but there's been no word of a second one. Of course, Rich's health problems might have something to do with it.

I figure we'll know about the third prequel book when it's announced on the news page. :smallsmile:

SteveMB
2008-04-23, 03:58 PM
I know that Rich prefers posters to err on the side of caution and spoiler-tag speculation... but a thread dedicated to pure guesswork about what prequel book might be written next? :smallconfused:

hamishspence
2008-04-23, 04:23 PM
Which is why i tried to make title as unambiguous as possible. Discussion is intended to be mostly extrapolations from existing info and prequels. whatever the next one will be, we would expect the info in prequel to be not necessarily needed to understand the main strip. However, going by SoD, the next prequel could be very interesting.

EBass
2008-04-23, 04:32 PM
Of course, Rich's health problems might have something to do with it.

I was not aware of this, what manner of health problems? Anyhow all the best to Rich either way!

Anyhow, I'd personally love some details on the order of the Scribble and their previous exploits, we really know a very small amount about them considering their massive relevance to the story.

Speaking of the books if I was to make a purchase of a new prequal book I'd probably want to pick up the compilation books at the same time, will a new one be soon? If I remember correctly both prequal books contain about 150 strips, taking them up to the 300 markish? Will a new one be soon? Because I'd like to buy them all at once if I could.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-23, 05:28 PM
I would like the third prequel book to be on the Order of the Scribble, for several reasons.

I'd like to see the hanging lampshade resolved. Why WOULD the Sapphire Guard leave the other gates unwatched? Especially since Soon Kim didn't seem to think the other four could do as good of a job as his paladins? :smallconfused:

But I can also see why Rich might prefer to avoid an OotSc book, especially if he doesn't want to give some of the OotS adventure ancounters away too early. Since I'm pretty sure the OotS will end up at both Girard's Gate and Kraagor's Gate will face illusions and purple worms respectively. Seeing the entire assembly process might take away some of the suprise.

Calinero
2008-04-23, 08:34 PM
Well, the major groups still prologue-less are The Linear Guild, The Order of the Scribble (or whatever they're called,) and maybe the Sapphire Guard. I am inclined to say the first two, but I suspect that a prologue about Nale would give away too many possible future plot points. So, my guess is Order of the Scribble.

Vrek
2008-04-23, 09:11 PM
Who says it has to be a prequel? Perhaps Rich has a plan to set a book on what happens to the living members of the Order of the Stick after the main plot? Personally, I want to see what comes after Elan's happy ending.

But, from the choices of prequels, I'd want to see the Order of the Scribble.

NENAD
2008-04-24, 09:47 AM
Oh, yeah, that wouldn't give away the ending of the online strip at all.

No, it'll definitely be a prequel, or a side-story, or something. No epilogue's, at least not with the main characters involved.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-24, 12:22 PM
I was not aware of this, what manner of health problems? Anyhow all the best to Rich either way!

The ones that caused him to reduce the update schedule for OOTS, and skip out on a few conventions. I believe he prefers not to go into specifics, but has mentioned that it will not impair his ability to finish the comic.

David Argall
2008-04-24, 04:45 PM
prequel 3 will either not involve the Linear Guild, or will not appear before strip 750, and likely 850. It is widely assumed Nale's background will be seriously involved in the next book, so no surprise is going to be ruined by the prequel coming out early.

Now Prequel 3 might well be a number of short stories. 10-20 pages on each of the most common NPCs should make a decent book.

The Hop Goblin
2008-04-24, 05:08 PM
Honestly, speaking from the bottom of my heart, I would not care whatsoever about a Azure City *Cough Miko* book. Period. I think we can all say we've seen enough blue.

I would like to see an Order of the Scribble book - as it would be a nice departure from the rest of the story.

Sengoku
2008-04-24, 05:20 PM
I'd like to see more about the Linear guild; just too many questions and characters need answers ;)

BlackMageJ
2008-04-25, 02:18 PM
Aside from the most obvious ideas (Linear Guild/Order of the Scribble), either of which would be great, I also reckon a book about the Gods might be good.

It would be set before they forged World 2.0, and show the Gods hiding from the Snarl in various planes, until a band of them (probably led by Thor, because everyone loves Thor) go around reuniting everyone so they can come together to recreate reality.

Of course, in order for there to be an adventure/conflict angle, the Gods wouldn't be hiding in especially hospitable places, and there'd probably be demons (or mini-snarls, perhaps, searching for more gods to eat) roaming around.

Just a thought. It could be called something like A Deity With Destiny... or not.