PDA

View Full Version : Codename: Windborn, A Player's Guide to the Friendly Skies

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-23, 05:59 PM
So, I've been more or less taking a homebrew hiatus while I wait for 4e, but I've been inspired by Logman's very cool idea, Swampgas (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72683). I always liked the environment books, and would love to start a collaborative project on one of my all-time favorite environments: The Sky.

Now, I know that people living in the sky isn't really realistic like living in the desert, living at sea, or fighting with antlers tied to a stick, but adventuring among the highest clouds has been a staple of fantasy since the first final fantasies.

Since Eberron, flying in airships seems like something D&D keeps getting keener on.

Not to mention how badly the game needs a sensible way of adjudicating aerial combat.

So, join Windborn, the project for those who aspire to clouds.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-23, 06:00 PM
The Ground Rules:
So, this thread is to gather people to design and compile crunch and fluff to make a homebrew sourcebook on aerial adventure.

People may make suggest additions to existing topics of design or suggest additional topics. In either case, a suggestion may be considered for addition only if at least two other people, including at least one current contributor, have reviewed and agreed upon it.

Anyone who has submitted a suggested addition and been approved in such a manner have the status of contributor.

(This isn't that official, so this is more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule.)

Once added, it will be up for continued edit and review, with this thread as the nexus for the project.

The hopeful end-game of this will be a pretty, well compiled, and OotS-Style illustrated PDF containing everything a player needs to run an airship.

Remember, this project is about community, and the more people who contribute, the more we'll have to work with. E pluribus homebrew, folks.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-23, 06:03 PM
The Crunch Page
Environmental Effects
Coming Soon

Aerial Combat
Coming Soon

Races
Kestrevae
Mountain Vestii
Cloud Vestii

Feats
Coming Soon

Equipment
Coming Soon

Variant Classes
Coming Soon

Prestige Classes
Coming Soon

Magic
Coming Soon

Psionics
Coming Soon

Magic Items
Coming Soon

Monsters
Skyray

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-23, 06:04 PM
The Fluff Page
Life Among the Clouds
Coming Soon

An Airborne Adventure
Coming Soon

An Aerial Campaign
Coming Soon

watsyurname529
2008-04-23, 06:42 PM
Sweet. I love Eberron [thank you for spelling it right] and right now I'm running a piratish campaign that probably will end up in the air.

So count on me for a lot of crunchy feats, classes, etc.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-23, 07:35 PM
Good to hear. Since I officially have at least one person interested, I think that I should get the ball rolling on some races.

Now, races are a staple of a good environment book, but the sky is an environment that creatures can't necessarily live in all the time, rather in near-sky environments like cliffsides or mountains. Therefore, I think we should have one race that lives in the sky itself.

Imagine a playable race of fey, that were born of the magic of an ancient wind spirit. They have a perfect fly speed, and can stay in the sky indefinitely. They're adapted to higher altitudes, and live in tight-nit nomadic communities which follow the trade-winds. In lieu of permanent structures, they assemble hides of airborn animals and solid clouds (see environmental effects) into floating tents that they keep aloft through the use of specially prepared gas-balloons and large lift-fins.

I actually think this may be somehow plausible.

watsyurname529
2008-04-23, 07:47 PM
Cool. I agree except for the Perfect Fly speed. That would add a hefty LA so I think it would be best to keep that to a racial PrC capstone.

Anyway, I have an idea for a sort of Cloud Spirit Fae that doesn't fly, but has some other interesting ideas. Keeping at LA +0 or maybe LA +1.

BRC
2008-04-23, 07:54 PM
Ooh, this sounds like Fun!

Gralamin
2008-04-23, 08:03 PM
Cool. I agree except for the Perfect Fly speed. That would add a hefty LA so I think it would be best to keep that to a racial PrC capstone.

Anyway, I have an idea for a sort of Cloud Spirit Fae that doesn't fly, but has some other interesting ideas. Keeping at LA +0 or maybe LA +1.

According to Savage Species a template that adds +4 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, and can give you Perfect Maneuverability if you have 17 or more Dexterity is LA +2.

I like the race concept though.

And since were on the topic of races, how about creatures with a Cloudwalking ability similar to the Silver Dragons? Perhaps a studious bunch who live on the clouds, watching the world from above. Possible roles could be defenders, scholars or prophets.
Just throwing ideas out there.

watsyurname529
2008-04-23, 08:15 PM
Well I still think Perfect Fly is LA +2 at least if not more. Anyway, I like your Cloudwalker idea. I think I'm going to take that and mesh with my idea to make an LA +1 Cloud Fey race and half-human ones which would be Cloud Humans and LA +0.

TheLogman
2008-04-23, 08:33 PM
Your system for doing this thing is a lot better than mine, I'll admit that. Mine was originally just supposed to be my own stuff, in fact, not even that, but a gauging interest thread for my own stuff, but now, I don't even recognize it. Heck, it's become such a "group" project that I can't even choose the basic details of it.

Ah well, enough monologue. It another interesting environment, but one that suffers a great weakness. The problem with Airs and the Sky is that since Wind is something we encounter regularly, and flight is one of the best methods of transport, most Air-related stuff ends up being, well, transport and "Buffet"-ing related, to the point where we don't see blades made out of wind, but just "Gusts" of it. So, ya, it'll be nice to see some unique stuff. Personally, I'd love to contribute, but due to my terrible laziness and really bad school schedule, I never actually get much done. You might see some stuff from me though, maybe a few inventive spells or a class. If I ever get a LOT of time, I could work on Substitution levels if you want those.

Gralamin
2008-04-23, 08:56 PM
Well I still think Perfect Fly is LA +2 at least if not more. Anyway, I like your Cloudwalker idea. I think I'm going to take that and mesh with my idea to make an LA +1 Cloud Fey race and half-human ones which would be Cloud Humans and LA +0.

After comparing maneuverabilities, I'd say Perfect Fly is LA+1, as is good. Average and lower is LA+0. Though, thats just my opinion.

And do we honestly need subraces? We should try to make unique races, not half-breeds, or slightly different elves, or whatever.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-23, 08:58 PM
Your system for doing this thing is a lot better than mine, I'll admit that. Mine was originally just supposed to be my own stuff, in fact, not even that, but a gauging interest thread for my own stuff, but now, I don't even recognize it. Heck, it's become such a "group" project that I can't even choose the basic details of it.

Ah well, enough monologue. It another interesting environment, but one that suffers a great weakness. The problem with Airs and the Sky is that since Wind is something we encounter regularly, and flight is one of the best methods of transport, most Air-related stuff ends up being, well, transport and "Buffet"-ing related, to the point where we don't see blades made out of wind, but just "Gusts" of it. So, ya, it'll be nice to see some unique stuff. Personally, I'd love to contribute, but due to my terrible laziness and really bad school schedule, I never actually get much done. You might see some stuff from me though, maybe a few inventive spells or a class. If I ever get a LOT of time, I could work on Substitution levels if you want those.

Hehe, I came in late to Swampgas, so I first saw things as they generally are right now. I think you're right about air-related stuff, it hass always been soft powers like transportation, but I think air as a whole has a lot of potential for other applications.

Any additions you could give would be appreciated-I'm frankly working as much as I am right now because I'm in the middle of a week long break from school.

As far as perfect fly goes, I think it can be bumped down to good, but I think that any race that lives midair should at least be able to hover.

Here's a first draft:
Rudimentary fluff is that they are a race of people imbued with an ancient elemental air spirit, they have very thin bodies and exceptionally long appendages. Their internal organs are small and poorly developed, leading to their Con penalty. Con is one of the worst penalties, so I think it justifies a fly speed. Also, one of the environmental things I want to add are rules for elevation, owing to thin air, stronger winds, and other effects.

What exactly they look like is another matter entirely, but I want to avoid bird-people, because that steps on the toes of Raptorans and Kenku.

Kestrevae
Medium Fey
+2 Dex, -2 Constitution: Kestrevae have developed great dexterity in adapting to life among the winds, but their lighter bodies are vulnerable to injury.
Speed 10, Fly 20 (Average)
Wind Resistance (Ex): Kestrevae are born flying, and are naturally skilled at maneuvering in difficult condition. Kestrevae are treated as one size category larger when determining the effects of wind.
Borne of Air (Su): The ancestral connection of Kestrevae to the spirit of elemental air enhances their ability to channel air-based magic. The Kestrevae increase their caster level by 1 when casting spells with the air descriptor.
Natural Elevation: Kestrevae are naturally adapted to life in the highest altitudes. As a result, Kestrevae can breathe normally in high or extreme altitudes, but suffer the standard penalties of high altitude when at ground level.

Also, Gralamin, I think you're right about the sub-races. I also want to add what is necessary to keep the races at LA 0, because the base races that are offered by a book should be playable right out of the box.

RTGoodman
2008-04-23, 09:03 PM
I don't know if I can find time to do anything, but one of the VT's creature competitions a few months back was called Flights of Fancy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3816743) and was all flying creatures. If there are any creatures there you want, you could check with the creators and see if they'd allow you to use their stuff (though I couldn't imagine anyone would say no). Feel free to use my Silver Lionling (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3816743#post3816743) if you want.

Gralamin
2008-04-23, 09:08 PM
Good job, I like it, and I think its well balanced.

Just in case this helps to inspire anyone, I found this on Wikipedia:

Air is one of the four classical elements in ancient Greek philosophy and science. According to Plato, it is associated with the octahedron;
So lets see some d8s in here people.

Among the early Greek Pre-Socratic philosophers, Anaximenes (mid-6th century BCE) named air as the arche (first principle of the world). As it grows warm and rarefied, air becomes fire; as it cools and condenses it becomes water, then earth and rock. A similar belief was attributed by some ancient sources to Diogenes Apolloniates (late 5th century BCE), who also linked air with intelligence and soul (psyche)

Plato (427-347 BCE) took over the four elements of Empedocles. In the Timaeus, his major cosmological dialogue, the Platonic solid associated with air is the octahedron which is formed from eight equilateral triangles. This places air between fire (four triangular sides) and water (twenty triangular sides), which Plato regarded as appropriate because it is intermediate in its mobility, sharpness, and ability to penetrate. He also said of air that its minuscule components are so smooth that one can barely feel them.

In ancient Greek medicine, each of the four humours became associated with an element. Blood was the humor identified with air, since both were hot and wet

All that and more from Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_%28classical_element%29)

watsyurname529
2008-04-23, 09:18 PM
Well the only race I know of that can fly is the Raptorean and they don't get a true fly speed until 10 HD at LA +0.

Also on my idea, I still believe flight added on with out penalty is LA +1 and many people do not like LA so I wanted to do a sort of watered down that has some of the flavor but with no LA.

The reason is I would just take the race and make a Wiz/Sorc and just fly out of reach and bombard with spells. You could pretty much be a one man army on most normal creatures.

But whatever, do what you want. I don't really know about estimating LA or monster CR; I just compare to existing creatures. Anyway I'll just stick my talents to other things.

Gralamin
2008-04-23, 09:29 PM
Well the only race I know of that can fly is the Raptorean and they don't get a true fly speed until 10 HD at LA +0.

Also on my idea, I still believe flight added on with out penalty is LA +1 and many people do not like LA so I wanted to do a sort of watered down that has some of the flavor but with no LA.

The reason is I would just take the race and make a Wiz/Sorc and just fly out of reach and bombard with spells. You could pretty much be a one man army on most normal creatures.

But whatever, do what you want. I don't really know about estimating LA or monster CR; I just compare to existing creatures. Anyway I'll just stick my talents to other things.

Its honestly just a bit of an art form for balancing races. I don't think something that can fly average, has balanced ability scores, and a few small benefits is as powerful as a dwarf for example.
The only way to get races done right is to compare and contrast with other races. Creatures are a rather bad idea to look at, as most of them are hideously over LA'd. Consider for instance, that a CR 5 creature could be an ECL 10 character, yet a Level 5 Human Wizard is CR 5.

And by the time the Wizard can do any substantial damage with flight, he could already grab the fly spell.

SilverClawShift
2008-04-23, 09:33 PM
I was going to suggest a race that was a far, far offshoot of the Beholders.

Beholders are naturally buoyant. They float in place without any effort on their own part, and move through the air specifically if they need to be in a different place.
So a race that is to Beholders what the changelings are to dopplegangers would be perfect for an airborn theme.

And I like this idea enough that instead of suggesting it, I'm going to make it. Here:

Foresithian

In the time before time, the alien and unknowable entity known only as The Great Mother gave birth to the Beholder race. Since the dawn of existance, the eye tyrants have plagued reality with their savage power, reveling in slaughter that they beleive is homage to The Great Mother herself.
For you see, each Beholder beleives that it is created in the image of The Great Mother, representing the pinnacle of perfection of their race. All other beholders, no matter how similar in appearance, are naught but pathetic forgeries of her perfect child. Each Beholder is so alike in appearance that other races can barely perceive the difference, though once in a great while a clear variation or mutation arises. These 'altered' beholders, such as Eyes of the Deep, Directors, and Overseers, are usually short lived as other beholders tear them to shreds on sight. On the rare chance that they survive, they inevitably produce creatures more similar to themselves than to other beholders.

The Foresithian race is beleived by most scholars and mages to be the result of such a mutation that managed to escape, and continued to reproduce more of their kind. Foresithians are Beholders, in a very general sense. They are abberations, anomalies to the natural order itself, and they share many vague connections to their forebearer race. But the connections are very very vague, as the Foresithians vary greatly from individual to individual, much less to the Beholders themselves.

Foresithians beleive that they are the true children of The Great Mother, and that true Beholders were nothing but a womb, a vessel holding their place in reality until the Foresithian race was ready to entre existance. Now that they are here, they beleive that the Beholder race is obsolete, and will often work to destroy the eye tyrnats whenever possible.

Personality: Foresithians tend towards arrogance, being assured through racial memory that they are perfect in every way. While they are not as deluded as the beholders themselves are, a Foresithian cannot help but admire its own form and mind, taking great pride in the simple fact that it exists. They are surprisingly ready to make concessions to improve the quality of life of those around them, beleiving that no matter where they are, what they're doing, and what side of the deal they've gotten, the important part (themselves) is allready taken care of.
Physical Description: Foresithians for all the world resemble a human severed at the waist, floating lazily in the air, and covered in incredibly thick plates of leather (face included). They appear almost as unformed humans, as simple clay figures molded from beholder hide. They have no eyes on their faces, leaving only an incredibly wide and terrifying maw full of needle sharp teeth. From the tops of their heads emerge a number of thin waving stalks hanging limply to their shoulders. Each stalk is tipped with a single eye, each eyestalk can be controlled individually.
Genders: Foresithians have only one gender, a passive acceptance of another creatures magical energy. When a Foresithian is ready to produce a child, it need only find another creature and study it with one of its eye stalks. The magical energy absorbed from the creature affects the offspring the Foresithian produces.
Relations: Foresithian have flighty and neutral relations with most other races, viewing them as nothing more than background noise to their races perfection. They do not have the Beholders murderous rage towards other races, however, remaining apathetic about their existance.
Alignment: Foresithians may be of any alignment, but tend towards neutrality out of a vague dettachment from the world around them.
Lands: Foresithians have no home of their own, often taking to the sky as they age and develope the ability to control their flight. Foresithians do not feel compelled to form far reaching socieites or struggle for the land of other races, content to float around the world and take in the sights.
Religion: Foresithians are naturally drawn to worship of The Great Mother, as their racial memories tell them that she is perfect, and they are made in her image. While it is true that they are compelled to worship that evil deity, they do not feel compelled to commit evil acts in her name. A good Foresithian likely pays true worship to another deity, but holds The Great Mother in a special place in their heart.
Language: Foresithians speak common, and often pick up other languages based on where they were born, and what races magical energy tinted their conception.
Names: Foresithians do not feel compelled to give themselves names, and usually only do so when pressed by other races needing a way to address them. Names are simply titles to Foresithians, meaningless pleasantries that serve a purpose only to the extent that other creatures do.

Foresithian Racial Traits
Aberration - Foresithians are Aberrations, not fitting into any natural ecosystem or environment.
Small - As a Small creature, a foresithian gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.

Okay, that's the FLUFF. Now for statting them out. They shouldn't be able to fly at low levels. Same as Rapotrans, they should gradually gain greater control over their natural bouyancy, being able to float around more freely the higher level they get.

I also think that they should get some kind of eye beam, like beholders. Something much, much weaker (maybe scaling in power a little as they attain higher levels), and something selectable at character creation. Similar to how Shifters can select what type of shifter they are (longstride, beasthide, ect). That would allow the creation of Foresithian racial feats that expand on their beholder heritage, allowing more powerful and frequent use of eyebeam powers.
Again, nothing too strong without spending enough feats to be worth giving them some muscle with it.

They might also get the ability to nullify a bit of magic affecting themselves. That might risk being too powerful, but being able to pulse an anti-magic field (limited to their own body) to shake off unwanted spell effects is an interesting idea, and fitting of the racial history. Maybe as a racial feat too?

Ah well. Rambling. This is all off the top of my head, I won't be offended if anyone thinks it sucks or should be ditched :smalltongue:

Gralamin
2008-04-23, 09:40 PM
SilverClawShift: Sounds amazingly awesome, I love the idea.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-23, 09:49 PM

You're actually totally right. Flight is really good, it makes you pretty much immune to certain monsters and can negate some challenges, and it shouldn't be given lightly. If these weren't the first race I thought up, I'd think they should have an LA. Unfortunately, I don't think a front and center conceptual player race should have an LA.

I think it should be balanced though, so I'm going to reduce it to Average at the moment and give them only a 5 foot land speed. They can still fly, but their ability to make use of it is severely limited. Also, in any situation in which they can't fly, they have problems.

@SilverClawShift- Wow also, very cool idea. I think, however, the flavor and their unusual physical form tend more toward being monsters, or at least a "monstrous race" (akin to Gnolls or Ogres) than as a player race.

Also, as for the Raptoran "Scaling Flight" ability, it was elegant from a balance perspective but insanely awkward from a balance perspective. The entire race is flying, but unless someone has 5 class levels they can only glide? If you go to a raptoran village, will all the commoners be on the ground?

Also, its annoying to be "the flying race" but not be able to fly through your first 4 levels.

Icewalker
2008-04-23, 10:05 PM
Seems like a fun idea, but because the sky is so limiting to all the normal races I think quite a few parts of the environment books will be out of your reach. I can see a lot of awesome stuff, but a full environment book might be a stretch. I probably won't be able to contribute to this unless I come up with an awesome idea and I throw it together, as I'm pretty busy and already working on several other projects. Good luck though, I'll follow the progress.

BRC
2008-04-23, 10:12 PM
I might make some rules for Flying machines/mounts, maybe a race of Gnomes that live on mountaintops and spend much of their time in the skies.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-23, 10:39 PM
Seems like a fun idea, but because the sky is so limiting to all the normal races I think quite a few parts of the environment books will be out of your reach. I can see a lot of awesome stuff, but a full environment book might be a stretch. I probably won't be able to contribute to this unless I come up with an awesome idea and I throw it together, as I'm pretty busy and already working on several other projects. **** luck though, I'll follow the progress.

Well, who knows where it'll go, but we'll do what we can

By the way, I'm still thinking about the name. Windborn is nice, but most of them seem to have been some kind of environmental hazard so far. A friend of mine suggested "Windshear", which is actually pretty nice.

Icewalker
2008-04-23, 10:48 PM
Wait, what got bleeped out of my post? I thought I said 'good luck'?

Ah well, edited it. Still kind of confusing...

Windshear sounds pretty cool.

batsofchaos
2008-04-23, 11:22 PM
Maybe you typoed the d as a k and came up with a racial slang?

It's a neat idea, I'll contribute if I can. I envision a massive city, floating in the sky either through some sort of spell, a magical device similar to the way the air-ships work, or stilts a-la the Jetsons.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-24, 11:49 AM
Maybe you typoed the d as a k and came up with a racial slang?

It's a neat idea, I'll contribute if I can. I envision a massive city, floating in the sky either through some sort of spell, a magical device similar to the way the air-ships work, or stilts a-la the Jetsons.

Definitely something to add would be suspended cities, islands in the sky, and other ways of having permanent dwellings in the sky.

I think once we adjust the Kestrevae to stability, it'd be a good idea to have a race that lives among the clouds in artificial dwellings.

Maybe a race that's highly intelligent, excellent at mechanics and artifice. Perhaps an off-shoot of another mountainous race. There was some kind of schism between the two, and the artificer branch permanently migrated away from the mountains. They have no natural ability to fly, but have been able to build permanent artificial flying cities. Since then, they have developed minor adaptations to aerial life.

Possibly, there can be a single race with two subraces...similar to Githzerai and Githyanki. One is hardier, more spiritual, and lives in the mountains. The other is more intelligent, magically inclined, and lives in artificial air cities.

The next thing to decide is what they look like...should they just be humanoid with some minor aesthetic differences, or based off of a different biology. Also, how different should the two subraces be?

BRC
2008-04-24, 12:34 PM
Definitely something to add would be suspended cities, islands in the sky, and other ways of having permanent dwellings in the sky.

I think once we adjust the Kestrevae to stability, it'd be a good idea to have a race that lives among the clouds in artificial dwellings.

Maybe a race that's highly intelligent, excellent at mechanics and artifice. Perhaps an off-shoot of another mountainous race. There was some kind of schism between the two, and the artificer branch permanently migrated away from the mountains. They have no natural ability to fly, but have been able to build permanent artificial flying cities. Since then, they have developed minor adaptations to aerial life.

Possibly, there can be a single race with two subraces...similar to Githzerai and Githyanki. One is hardier, more spiritual, and lives in the mountains. The other is more intelligent, magically inclined, and lives in artificial air cities.

The next thing to decide is what they look like...should they just be humanoid with some minor aesthetic differences, or based off of a different biology. Also, how different should the two subraces be?

Maybe somthing like this, The Race was driven from the surface logn ago, some of them built cities on mountaintops, some built artificial flying cities. Eventually they completally split, with the Mountaintop dwellers using animals to fly, and the Flying City Dwellers using magic and devices. The mountain dwellers have a philosiphy based around adaption and compromise, the city dwellers have a philosophy based around control and modification. (Mountain Dwellers would adapt to the cold by putting on a coat, City dwellers would adapt to the cold by building a fire)

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-24, 01:31 PM
Maybe somthing like this, The Race was driven from the surface logn ago, some of them built cities on mountaintops, some built artificial flying cities. Eventually they completally split, with the Mountaintop dwellers using animals to fly, and the Flying City Dwellers using magic and devices. The mountain dwellers have a philosiphy based around adaption and compromise, the city dwellers have a philosophy based around control and modification. (Mountain Dwellers would adapt to the cold by putting on a coat, City dwellers would adapt to the cold by building a fire)
A very good basis of fluff...here's my idea for a first draft of the racial crunch:

Vestitii (Singular Vestitian)
Mountain Vestitii
Medium Humanoid
Speed 30
-2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Mountain Vestitii are earthy and spiritual, and deeply connected to the land. However, their rigid life in the mountains have made them poorly equipped to feats of agility or self-expression.
Altitude Acclimation: Vestitii of both varieties are adapted to higher altitudes, and may treat extreme altitudes as one category lower for the purpose of determining penalties.
+2 to Climb and Survival: Mountain Vestitii are adapted to living off the land in high mountain societies. Vestitii do not lose their Dexterity bonus to AC while climbing.
Natural Affinity (Su): Mountain Vestitii are spiritually connected to the land and sky, and can gain strength from that connection. While in a natural environment (an environment that is predominately formed of unworked terrain), Mountain Vestitii gain a +1 bonus on all saving throws.
Favored Class: Druid

Cloud Vestitii
-2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom: Cloud Vestitii have developed a highly intellectual mindset to understand and develop their technology-driven world. However, their artificial world has left them out of touch with the natural and emotional world, and their long-term exposure to high elevations has left them physically weaker.
Altitude Acclimation: Vestitii of both varieties are adapted to higher altitudes, and may treat extreme altitudes as one category lower for the purpose of determining penalties.
+2 to Craft and Use Magic Device: Vestitii have developed a tradition of magic and technology.
Natural Technicians: Cloud Vestitii have exceptional talent in developing the artifice that supports their floating society. Cloud Vestitii are treated as having a +2 caster level when determining their ability to craft magic items.
Favored Class: Wizard

TheThan
2008-04-24, 01:52 PM
sounds interesting. one of the reasons people shy away from airborn adventuring is because its hard to do. its also useful for going to planes like the elemental plane of air. I'll read through this a bit more and see what i can come up with.

BRC
2008-04-24, 02:44 PM
A very good basis of fluff...here's my idea for a first draft of the racial crunch:

Mountain Vestitii
Medium Humanoid
Speed 30
-2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Mountain Vestitii are earthy and spiritual, and deeply connected to the land. However, their rigid life in the mountains have made them poorly equipped to feats of agility or self-expression.
+2 to Climb and Survival: Mountain Vestitii are adapted to living off the land in high mountain societies. Vestitii do not lose their Dexterity bonus to AC while climbing.
Natural Affinity (Su): Mountain Vestitii are spiritually connected to the land and sky, and can gain strength from that connection. While in a natural environment (an environment that is predominately formed of unworked terrain), Mountain Vestitii gain a +1 bonus on all saving throws.

Cloud Vestitii
-2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom: Cloud Vestitii have developed a highly intellectual mindset to understand and develop their technology-driven world. However, their artificial world has left them out of touch with the natural and emotional world, and their long-term exposure to high elevations has left them physically weaker.
+2 to Craft and Use Magic Device: Vestitii have developed a tradition of magic and technology.
Natural Technicians: Cloud Vestitii have exceptional talent in developing the artifice that supports their floating society. Cloud Vestitii are treated as having a +2 caster level when determining their ability to craft magic items.

Ooh. I think I'll get to work on the two vestitii's chosen methods of airial transport.

Hectonkhyres
2008-04-24, 11:09 PM
I would like to see some sort of colonial, airborn aberration. Literally, their floating nests are camouflaged as either clouds or the blue sky itself. One of their holy cities is designed to look exactly like the rising moon.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-25, 11:13 AM
I would like to see some sort of colonial, airborn aberration. Literally, their floating nests are camouflaged as either clouds or the blue sky itself. One of their holy cities is designed to look exactly like the rising moon.Well, the Foresithians that Silver Claw mentioned are a floating aberration...I think this kind of nest system could work very well for them. Good idea.

BRC
2008-04-25, 11:30 AM
Well, the Foresithians that Silver Claw mentioned are a floating aberration...I think this kind of nest system could work very well for them. Good idea.

Oh, one thing I don't think the Mountain Vestii should have a dex penalty, as balance on a mountain and riding flying creatures would be important to them. Personally, I would give them a Con penalty due to the fact that, on mountaintops, food is in short supply.

That said, for City Vestii I was going to create a kind of flying platform thing, however it only works at very high altitudes. Maybe The City Vestii have a version of the Flight spell that only works at or above cloud level, it's much lower level than most flight spells though, which explains how they are able to live in the sky but rarely go to the surface. It is also why the rest of the world stays surfacebound, sure a 1st level fly spell exists, but in order for it to work you need to START above cloud level, in addition to remaining there (if you get too close to the ground the spell fails)

Somthing Like This

Cloudwing
Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level.

This spell ceases to function if the user is less than one mile above Sea Level, it does this suddenly, the user does not float down as with a Fly spell, they simply plummet. Otherwise it is identical in function to the spell Overland Flight.

This spell serves as the basis for the city Vestii flyers and cloud cities.

For the Mountain Vestii, considering their philosiphy of personal adaption, I was thiking they have developed a symbiotic relationship with some sort of flying creature. Maybe like a flying manta ray or somthing

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-25, 11:38 AM
Oh, one thing I don't think the Mountain Vestii should have a dex penalty, as balance on a mountain and riding flying creatures would be important to them. Personally, I would give them a Con penalty due to the fact that, on mountaintops, food is in short supply.

That said, for City Vestii I was going to create a kind of flying platform thing, however it only works at very high altitudes. Maybe The City Vestii have a version of the Flight spell that only works at or above cloud level, it's much lower level than most flight spells though, which explains how they are able to live in the sky but rarely go to the surface. It is also why the rest of the world stays surfacebound, sure a 1st level fly spell exists, but in order for it to work you need to START above cloud level, in addition to remaining there (if you get too close to the ground the spell fails)

Somthing Like This

Cloudwing
Sor/Wiz 1
Duration: 1 hour/level.

This spell ceases to function if the user is less than one mile above Sea Level, it does this suddenly, the user does not float down as with a Fly spell, they simply plummet. Otherwise it is identical in function to the spell Overland Flight.

This spell serves as the basis for the city Vestii flyers and cloud cities.

For the Mountain Vestii, considering their philosiphy of personal adaption, I was thiking they have developed a symbiotic relationship with some sort of flying creature. Maybe like a flying manta ray or somthing

Woah, Overland Flight? I like the idea, but a 5th level spell as a 1st level spell is kind of extreme. Perhaps just Fly, and reduced to 1 round per level. More of a utility flight for cloud vestii casters, rather than extremely easy flight. I kind of like the idea of a race that lives in the clouds without easy access to flight.

I love the idea of symbiotic manta rays, though. It could be a great first monster.

BRC
2008-04-25, 11:56 AM
Woah, Overland Flight? I like the idea, but a 5th level spell as a 1st level spell is kind of extreme. Perhaps just Fly, and reduced to 1 round per level. More of a utility flight for cloud vestii casters, rather than extremely easy flight. I kind of like the idea of a race that lives in the clouds without easy access to flight.

I love the idea of symbiotic manta rays, though. It could be a great first monster.
Hmm, Maybe we have a Fly version as 1st level and an Overland flight version at 3rd level (Both times the spell goes down 2 levels). The whole "One Mile above sea level" thing is there to show why only the Vestii use it, it's just not practical for anybody else. However, since it mainly serves as the magical basis for Vestii flying magic, the duration dosn't really matter as much.

Here's a basic idea for a City Vestii Flyer (I should actually stat this out as a construct)

Cloudskimmer: This one-man flyer looks like a blockier version of a horse's body, (Without a head or legs) and is ridden in a similar manner. It moves at a rate of 50 feet per round and has an effective strength of 16, it treats encumberment as if it was a mount. It can be piloted with the Pilot Skill (Linked to Dex). It ceases to function if taken below 1 mile above sea level.
Cost: 2000 GP if purchased in a Cloud Vespii city, anywhere else they cost 20, 000 GP. (This restricts them to Sky-Based campaigns, Which due to the height restriction is the only place they would be useful If this seems cheap remember that the Cloud Vespii would have gotten very good at building these, and that 2000 GP is still far out of the reach of your average peasant. A small house costs 1000GP)

Triaxx
2008-04-25, 12:33 PM
I love the idea. I've written dozens of things for airships, and lost most of them. Mind if I work from the other direction? Getting our ground bound adventurers into the sky?

BRC
2008-04-25, 12:38 PM
Here's some Skyray Fluff, I'll Cruch them later
Skyray.

Though smarter than your average animal, these gentle creatures are somewhat dim witted. Their flight is due less too flapping their wings as it is their ability to produce various Lighter Than Air gasses which they store in various bladders throughout their body. They are in a symbiotic relationship with the Mountain Vestii, who protect their eggs and young from predators in exchange for using the Skyrays as mounts. Most skyrays are trained to come when they hear a Vestii summoning whistle, and to accept and be ridden. All Mountain Vestii grow up with these creatures and are very good with them (Receiving a +4 competence bonus to Ride and Handle Animal checks with Skyrays.) Though frequently travelling Vestii may have a personal Skyray companion, most Vestii simply call one when needed, always giving them a treat (Usually a fried mushroom, most Mountain Vestii carry a bag of these around with them). Skyrays are inherently peaceful creatures and tend not to hold up well in fights, Vestii Warriors prefer to tame Giant Eagles to use as mounts. In Mountain Vestii society, killing a Skyray is a heinous crime. City Vestii however see Skyrays as pests who, mistaking them for Mountain Vestii, will often nudge around in their cloud cities getting in the way of things, which is one of the main points of contention between the two varieties of Vestii.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-25, 10:46 PM
Skyray
Large Magical Beast (Air)
Hit Dice: 3d10+6 (22 hp)
Speed: Swim 10 ft.; Fly 40 ft. (Average)
Init: +3
Armor Class: 17 (-1 Size, +3 Dex, +5 Natural); touch 12; flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple +3; Grp +8
Attack: Tail Sting +6 (1d8+1 plus Poison)
Full-Attack: Tail Sting +6 (1d8+1 plus Poison)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Poison
Special Qualities Vestii Bond, Altitude Adjustment
Saves Fort +5 Ref +6 Will +3
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10
Skills Spot +6, Listen +6, Swim +12
Feats Alertness, Weapon Finesse
Environment Temperate Mountains, Cold Mountains
Organization Name Solitary, Group (2-4), Cloud (5-12), or Colony (25-50 with 40-100 Mountain Vestii)
Challenge Rating 2
Treasure None
Alignment Usually Neutral
Advancement by HD (4-7 Large; 8-11 Huge)
Level Adjustment -

Poison (Ex) Fortitude DC 13 (Initial Damage: Stunned for 1d4 Rounds/Secondary Damage: None) The save DC is Constitution based.

Vestii Bond (Ex) Skyrays have a symbiotic relationship with the Mountain Vestii, and are inclined to follow their lead. The DC for any Handle Animal or Wild Empathy check made by a Mountain Vestii targetting a Skyray is reduced by 4.

Altitude Adjustment (Ex) Skyrays are adjusted to high altitudes and treat extreme altitude as two categories lower for the purpose of determining penalties.

Combat
Vestii are typically docile. Their only means of offense is their somewhat awkward tail. When provoked to fight, they usually try to lead a foe into the air and use their poison to disable their foe. While the stunned foe falls from the sky, the Skyray will attempt to escape.

Ecology
Skyrays live in high, mountainous environments, usually near tribes of Mountain Vestii. They are born in water, in pools that develop in mountains through the melting of high altitude snowfalls. However, they are unable to breathe underwater, and leave these pools shortly after their birth. They return to feed on fish, their primary source of food.
Due to their docile nature, they are vulnerable to predators and unable to defend their young or their nests. As a result, Skyrays have developed a symbiotic relationship with Mountain Vestii, who protect the young of Skyray colonies. As part of this relationship, Skyrays serve Mountain Vestii as flying mounts. Additionally, through special training, Skyrays can be adapted as hunting animals.
Larger tribes of Mountain Vestii often awaken an advanced skyray which takes a more direct role of leadership in its colony.

BRC
2008-04-25, 11:04 PM
Ooh, Nicely Done!

Bhu
2008-04-26, 02:42 AM
I have some critters I could post or link to

BRC
2008-04-26, 09:37 AM
A very quick Inkscape sketch of Cloud and Mountain vestii cities.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w27/bloddyredcommie/Windborne.png

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-26, 11:02 AM
Gorgeous, an ideal set-up.

Now remains determining what the Vestii themselves actually look like.

jagadaishio
2008-04-26, 12:00 PM
You should make sure that you hyperlink the names of the things in the index post to the posts where they occurred instead of just listing the names.

watsyurname529
2008-04-26, 01:04 PM
On the Vestitii, I think you could add something a bit more to offset their unbalanced ability scores, or make the ability scores balanced [By Balanced I mean the net gain/loss is 0; currently the net loss is -2].

Like for the Cloud Vestitii, you could give them a +2 save vs. Spells because their bodies have been around magic so much they've grown used to it. Now going on a variation for the Mountain Vestitii, they could have a +2 save vs. Disease & Poison because they live off the land and have adapted.

Otherwise, I like the race, nice job.

watsyurname529
2008-04-26, 03:38 PM
Here is my proposed revision:

Mountain Vestitii
Medium Humanoid
Base Speed: 30
+2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Mountain Vestitii are earthy and spiritual, and deeply connected to the land. However, their rigid life in the mountains have made them poorly equipped to feats of self-expression and social ability.

+2 on Saves vs Disease and Poison: Mountain Vestitii live off the land and are used to foraging for food and survival. Their time in nature has hardened their bodies against disease and poison.

Cloud Vestitii
Base Speed: 30ft
-2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence: Cloud Vestitii have developed a highly intellectual mindset to understand and develop their technology-driven world. However, their artificial world has left them frail and weaker than compared to other races.

+2 on Saves vs Spells: Cloud Vestitii make their lives among magical technology and spells. Overtime, their bodies have adapted to the magic and have become resistant to it.

Natural Technicians (Ex): Cloud Vestitii have exceptional talent in developing the artifice that supports their floating society. Cloud Vestitii are treated as having a +1 caster level when determining their ability to craft magic items.

I think the abilities should be kept to just two ability adjustments because more of them start to make them more specialized niches. If you want, we can add a -2 to Diplomacy for Mountain Vestitii to represent their solitude, and something else for Cloud Vestitii.

So anyway, whatcha all think?

BRC
2008-04-26, 03:41 PM
Here is my proposed revision:

Mountain Vestitii
Medium Humanoid
Base Speed: 30
-2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom: Mountain Vestitii are earthy and spiritual, and deeply connected to the land. However, their rigid life in the mountains have made them poorly equipped to feats of agility or self-expression.

+2 on Saves vs Disease and Poison: Mountain Vestitii live off the land and are used to foraging for food and survival. Their time in nature has hardened their bodies against disease and poison.

Cloud Vestitii
Base Speed: 30ft
+2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom: Cloud Vestitii have developed a highly intellectual mindset to understand and develop their technology-driven world. However, their artificial world has left them out of touch with the natural and emotional world.

+2 on Saves vs Spells: Cloud Vestitii make their lives among magical technology and spells. Overtime, their bodies have adapted to the magic and have become resistant to it.

Natural Technicians (Ex): Cloud Vestitii have exceptional talent in developing the artifice that supports their floating society. Cloud Vestitii are treated as having a +1 caster level when determining their ability to craft magic items.

I think the abilities should be kept to just two ability adjustments because more of them start to make them more specialized niches. If you want, we can add a -2 to Diplomacy for Mountain Vestitii to represent their solitude, and something else for Cloud Vestitii.

So anyway, whatcha all think?

I would Nix the dex penalty for Mountain Vestii, give them a Con or Cha penalty instead.

watsyurname529
2008-04-26, 03:50 PM
If we nix the Dex penalty, then a Charisma penalty would be the way to go. I do not think a life in the mountains would hurt their bodies.

So yea, I'll put -2 Cha in place of -2 Dex.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-26, 04:22 PM
On the Vestitii, I think you could add something a bit more to offset their unbalanced ability scores, or make the ability scores balanced [By Balanced I mean the net gain/loss is 0; currently the net loss is -2].

Like for the Cloud Vestitii, you could give them a +2 save vs. Spells because their bodies have been around magic so much they've grown used to it. Now going on a variation for the Mountain Vestitii, they could have a +2 save vs. Disease & Poison because they live off the land and have adapted.

Otherwise, I like the race, nice job.
Bonuses to mental ability scores are serious business, because the majority of casters gain so much more benefit from a good mental score than a combat class gains from a good physical score. To top it off, most classes that need good int or wis don't need any other mental score.

The dex and con penalties were meant to be balancing matters, not so much fluff.

If they're going to have a net 0 to abilities, I think they should keep the physical penalties.

BRC
2008-04-26, 05:05 PM
Here are those modified Flight spells

Sky Flight
School (Transmutation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance:Yes (Harmless)

This Spell functions identically to the Fly spell except that it ceases to function if the target ever goes below one mile above sea level. If the spell stops in this way the target simply plummets, they do not float down as with a Fly spell that has run out of duration.

Cloud Flight
School (Transmutation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Duration: 1 hour/level

This Spell functions identically to the Overland Flight spell except that it ceases to function if the target ever goes below one mile above sea level. If the spell stops in this way the target simply plummets, they do not float down as with a Fly spell that has run out of duration.

I'll try to make the Cloud Vestii Flying Vehicle Thingy statted out as a construct at some point.

lord of kobolds
2008-04-26, 08:07 PM
How would the vestitii view other races? It seems to me like the mountain vestitii would be fairly introverted and perhaps even xenophobic, but the cloud vestitii would be interested in trade, both of goods and knowledge.

Triaxx
2008-04-26, 08:13 PM
Do Sky and Cloud Flight terminate in a plummet if they end while one mile plus?

Vestitii Cloud Scooter

Description: A Vestitii Cloud Scooter appears at first to be a legless horse. On closer inspection, it turns out to be an oblong barrel, with a protrusion at the front, housing a control panel. Composed of copper, and containing a sack half-filled with water. Upon activation the water is transformed into a cloud-like state which responds to the control panel.

The scooter has been successfully reproduced by ground bound civilizations. The Vestitii version functions only above one mile from sea level. Should it dip below that, the controlling spell fails, and both scooter and occupant plummet uncontrollably. The Non-Vestitii version functions below one mile, but exchanges it for a slower speed, and worst manueverability.

A Vestitii Cloud scooter imparts it's rider good manueverability, and a speed of 120'/round. A Non-Vestitii version imparts average manueverability, and a speed of 80'/round.

Price: Vestitii Cloud City version: 1,000gp, Cloud Flight, CL10
Price: Non-Vestitii version: 15,000gp, Flight, CL 17

BRC
2008-04-26, 10:04 PM
No, but the float itself won't do much for you unless your'e above a stable surface.

Am I the only one who just imagine an adventure hook where, in a world where the surface is mostly unaware of the existance of sky civilizations, the PC's encounter a wounded Vestii who survived teh plummet.

Zeta Kai
2008-04-27, 12:21 AM
I didn't feel like doing anything for a race (I'm up to my eyeballs in custom races right now as it is), but I was too intrigued by the notion to not contribute at all. So here are 2 environmental effects, & a spell that can create another one.

Environmental Features & Hazards
Sky-Stone
An extremely rare mineral, sky-stone has only been found in appreciable quantities within the last 100 years (although the drow & the illithids seem to be familiar with it). Mined by the dwarves in the deepest fissures of the Underdark, sky-stone is much-prized for its bizarre buoyancy. It is lighter than air, so much so that it can negate the weight of other objects placed on top of it. Because of this, it cannot be conventionally weighed, & is instead measured by the weight that it negates.
Substance statistics: hardness 10, 15HP/inch of thickness, 1 square foot = -10 pounds, 800gp/negative pound

Acid Fog
Usually appearing near gates to the lower planes or regions where evil air elementals gather, acid fog is a physical manifestation of malevolent wind. Ranging in size from 10 to 1,000 cubic feet, these corrosive areas deal 1d3 points of acid damage per round to anyone or anything within them. These zones look just like the air around them, except for a slightly yellowish-green haze (DC25 to Spot). They move with the winds that surround them, & typically last 1d12 hours before dissipating. They can also be dispersed by windstorm-force winds (51+ MPH), which destroys 20 cubic feet per round.

Solidify Cloud
Transmutation [Air]
Level: Clr 6, Drd 5, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Close [25’ + 5’ per 2 caster levels]
Area: up to four 5’ squares/level (shapeable)
Duration: 1 hour/level (dismissible)
Saving Throw: none
Spell Resistance: no

You cause a cloud to coagulate on top into a firm floating surface that can be walked upon. The top of the cloud becomes a perfectly flat level plane, with the rigidity of soft earth (hardness 0). Walking on a solidified cloud does not normally require a Balance check. Each square of a solidified cloud can support up to 500 pounds at any one time; any more than that, then the overtaxed squares fail for 1 round, dumping their contents into the sky below. Solidified clouds are opaque, so they provide cover & concealment for the creatures standing on them relative to anything below. From below, a solidified cloud only appears slightly thicker than normal (DC25 to Spot).

The surface moves with the cloud, which can be controlled with Control Winds spell; a strong wind (21+ MPH) is needed to push the cloud 10’ per round; a severe wind (31+ MPH) is needed to push the cloud 20’ per round; a windstorm-force wind (51+ MPH) is needed to push the cloud 40’ per round. Hurricane-force winds (75+ MPH) will destroy a solidified cloud. A solidified cloud can be made permanent with a Permanency spell (minimum caster level 14th, 3,000XP cost).

Material Components: a pinch of dust & a pumice stone.

Bhu
2008-04-27, 10:29 PM
I would like to see some sort of colonial, airborn aberration. Literally, their floating nests are camouflaged as either clouds or the blue sky itself. One of their holy cities is designed to look exactly like the rising moon.

I have a few things Im working on along this line if no one minds me posting them.

Somber Requiem
2008-04-28, 01:58 AM
A thought...

The world of Thembridor... a world with far more air and far less ground.

Long ago Thembridor was like other worlds, with a lands and sea and skies. But then the cataclysm struck. Was it a divine punishment? The result of careless sorcery? Or perhaps a planar event beyond all reconing? No one knows, but following that terrible explosion the continents of Thembridor were torn from their foundations to float eternally in the sky, surrounded by an endless storm of horrific might.

Thembridor is similar to seven decks of cards floating one atop the other constantly orbiting along a central shaft. The highest of these this Thermad. Perhaps the smallest of the landmasses, Thermad is baked by constant and unending sunlight. The rock burns under the hands and water quickly evaporates, leaving naught but dessication. Still, some believe that Thembridor is a holy place, burned clean of the corruption that caused the cataclysm.

Beneath Thermad is Areal. While not boiling hot, Areal is a parched land of unending sunlight. The lack of vegitation creates sand and dust storms that scour at building and stone alike, sending occasional plumes to the landmasses below. The containt weathering exposes metal ores and more resistant gemstones that are coveted by those willing to dare the hot and scratchy wind.

Barlien is the third landmass down. While it too suffers from long periods of sun, the occasional relief brought by Areal makes it habitable. Barlien also enjoys the occasional rainshower as well. Barlien is largely savannah and grasslands speckled with lakes and pools. Grazing animals flourish here, and herdsmen nudge them along for trade with the worlds below.

Verdience is the fourth landmass, and the first that possesses a regular day and night as Barlien orbits above it. The Shade and water allow both wood and civilization to grow. At higher elevations, rainforest clutch to the tops of mountains, giving way to more traditional forests at cooler lower elevations. Verdience possesses not just one landmass, but many smaller islands that trail after it, allowing for a wide variety of city states to spring up in their wake.

Aquian is the fifth landmass, and is the only landmass with an overabundance of water. endless cascades from Verdience falls into pools, rivers, and lakes. Aquian rotation is such that it also has periods of winter. When Verdience is above it for prolonged periods the cold causes snow to fall and ice to form.

Graviel is the sixth landmass. Unlike the others, however, Graviel is made up of countless chunks of floating rock that endlessly grind and pound together. The largest is hundreds of miles across, but they form a thick ring. Graviel possesses some of the richest deposits of metal and gems, but removing them is perilous work as the endless field of stone grinds against each other. Rain and ice storms are frequent as water from Aquian pours down on the chaotic sea of stone.

Poleon is the seventh and last landmass. About the size of Areal, it is a land caked in unending ice. Graviel's thickness blocks all sunlight, so the only illumination is the light reflected off the cloud wall. Rumors abound, however, of ancient cities and places of magic hidden under the ice, and there are countless rumors of knowledge to mend Thembridor or shatter it forever.

The Malestrom lays thousands of miles beneath Poleon, a churning maw of terrifying storm that destroys all that tumbles from above. Most things freeze and are then torn to pieces by the force of the storm.

Travelling outwards from the landmasses, one encounters the Cloud wall. The further one travels the more powerful the wind becomes until it tears airships and people apart. Tornadoes and rainstorms frequently are ejected from the cloud wall, to give much needed water to the landmasses and people living upon them.

To travel upwards is to approach the sun. No one knows the distance between the unwavering sun and Thermad.

The continents float upon special gems called etherium. These crystals, which can vary in size from a finger to as big as a house, are able to counteract gravity and keep the landmasses aloft. Naturally they remain in place. However, if a crystal is freed it can then be moved by consentrating upon the direction. A sliver the size of a human's pinky is enough to move a three hundred pound man ten feet per round in any direction he so chooses. While larger pieces do not move faster, they can levitate heavier loads; one hundred pounds per ounce of crystal. Frequently, however, alternative means of travel are employed. The Dwarves of Graviel employ steam driven diregibles to get to ore deposits amid the churning layer. The elves of Verdience have domesticated a number of magical beasts and bred creatures capable of sustained flight. The human kingdoms of Aquian requently employ magical airships to make their travel possible.

(so what do you think?)

Triaxx
2008-04-28, 12:44 PM
Reminds me of Arianus. That's a good thing. I like it.

Zeta Kai
2008-04-28, 09:27 PM
Reminds me of Arianus. That's a good thing. I like it.

Probably because it is almost exactly like Arianus. Especially the Maelstrom bit. Not bad fluff, really, but we need something more original. I mean, when people think of sky-based fantasy worlds, anyone who's even heard of the Death Gate Cycle think of Arianus. It'd be like D&D using all of Tolkien's material...

...Hmmm. maybe you got something there after all.

Somber Requiem
2008-04-28, 09:43 PM
Which is wierd because I've never heard of that series. Now I have another book to add to my reading list. :D

ArmorArmadillo
2008-04-28, 10:16 PM
Zeta Kai, I really like the spells, and the materials...except, it's wierd that the bouyant cloud material is harvested underground.

On a side note, does anyone know how to hotlink to a specific post?

Zeta Kai
2008-04-28, 10:40 PM
Zeta Kai, I really like the spells, and the materials
Thank you very much. I'm happy to contribute. If I can think of any other sky-related materials or spells, I'll do what I can to help.

...except, it's wierd that the bouyant cloud material is harvested underground.
What do you think holds the whole world up? :smallwink: Seriously though, if it weren't found underground, you'd never find it, because Sky-Stone would just float off into space if it weren't held down by something, hence its rarity & value.

On a side note, does anyone know how to hotlink to a specific post?
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode#post) is how to do that.

Triaxx
2008-04-29, 07:37 AM
It's a pretty cool idea for it. And one that's not hard to come to on one's own.

As for sky stone, it's easier than growing it from a plant. Which does work out, it's just hard to explain the control mechanism in D&D terms.

BRC
2008-04-29, 09:28 PM
A Very simple template type thingy.

Skybound
Aquired Template

The Skybound template can be applied to any sentient creature.

A skybound creature is one that has been bound to a small, barely sentient Air Elemental through a magical ritual, granting them the ability of natural flight. A side effect of the ritual deprives them of the use of their legs, so all Skybound are immedietally identifyable by the way they hover around instead of walking, with their legs hanging limp beneath them.

A Skybound Creature loses any terrestrial modes of movement it once possessed, instead gaining an equvilent Fly speed with Good manuverability.

A Skybound creature does not suffer altitude penalties.

The Skybinding Ritual is perfomed by both varieties of Vestii, and almost exclusivly to those in a leadership role (Though it is possible, especially amongst the Cloud Vestii, to gain it by shelling out enough cash, amongst the cloud Vestii providing an equvilent amount in hard-to-get resources can serve the same purpose. Many resources are always scarce for the Mountain Vestii, and so donating enough of them is considered a great act for the good of the community.) The Cloud Vestii see it as binding a spirit similar to the manner used to create a golem. The Mountain Vestii see it as asking the Sky Spirits to bless the target of the ritual, causing the person to enter into a symbiotic relationship with the spirit bound to them.

Ritual Requires: Ability to cast 5th level spells, Ability to summon a medium Air elemental.
Cost to have Ritual Performed: ?

lord of kobolds
2008-04-30, 07:23 PM
the ritual should cost 800 gold for a negative pound of skystone, which loses its bouyancy and becomes a regular rock as a result of the ritual

Triaxx
2008-05-01, 08:18 AM
Probably needs a qualifier of: "Must be performed on solid ground." To stop inventive players from performing suicide assaults on cities.

Sky-stone Dirigible

Constructed by the Dwarves of Thembridor, Sky-stone Dirigible's are constructed as massive work platforms suspended from enourmous chunks, or many smaller chunks of Skystone, giving the dwarves a working enviroment resembling a flying oilrig, granted an upside down one. Powerful steam engines run cranes and drills used to harvest minerals from chunks of Graviel, although these ships are sometimes hired out by Elves and Humans as construction machines. Only the richest can afford a castle constructed with the aid of the Dirigibles.

Controlling a Sky-Stone Dirigible comes naturally to dwarves and sailors alike requiring a DC10 Profession (Sailor) check to maintain course, a DC 15 check to turn the ship, DC25 to ascend or descend, and DC20 to manuever side to side without turning the ship. Others make the checks with a +10 penalty to the DC.

Constructing such a ship is naturally easier for the dwarves that designed it, and requires six DC 30 Craft (Metalwork), and two DC25 Craft(Masonry) skill checks throughout it's three month construction time. Non-dwarves must roll skill checks +10 higher to construct the ship, though any dwarves aiding the check give +4 bonuses instead of +2. For a more conventional airship constructed of a water ship suspended from a skystone, checks are normal for all races and Metalwork is replaced with Carpentry.

Cost:800gp/negative pound to be lifted, 30 ranks Craft(Metalwork), 25 Craft (Masonry), three months construction time.

Zeta Kai
2008-05-02, 11:01 AM
Nice ship, Triaxx. I could see those as being quite popular for the very wealthy (as well as high-level adventures).

Well, it seems like Sky-Stone a popular addition. Lemme see if I can come up with more such things.

BRC
2008-05-02, 11:17 AM
The problem I see with the sky-stone dirgible is that it would be prohibitadly expensive. Let's say your average dwarf (130 lbs) wants to use a sky-stone dirgible. He'll need some supplies which for these purposes he puts in a small bag of holding (15 lbs). So Weve got 145 pounds here, seems reasonable enough. Lessee, a Sky-Stone dirgible that could lift this dwarf would be, (145/10)x800, which equals 11600. This is for one dwarf with as little weight as possible. Your average adventuring party, 4 people, let's say they, with their equipment, average out to 150 lbs each. This is still very much estimating on the light side, the end result for this, 48000 gp, for four people not carrying very much. The Idea is Awsome, but it's just very, very impractical in term of cost. Your description has these as flying mining and construction platforms, which while awsome, is a little ridiculous considering how expensive that would be. Maybe some way to augment the skystone with somthing else to lower the price abit.

ALso, what do you mean "Suicide attacks on cities" in terms of the ritual.

lord of kobolds
2008-05-02, 02:01 PM
perhaps having pumice or bamboo, or something else light but sturdy with a permanenced overland flight spell on it.

Zeta Kai
2008-05-02, 09:08 PM
The problem I see with the sky-stone dirgible is that it would be prohibitadly expensive.

Well, you're right. Enough Sky-Stone to fill a 5' cube would lift 1,250 pounds, but it would cost 1,000,000GP. Kinda pricey.

The simplest solution would be to lower the in-game price. This could be done either in-game, with a large influx of discovered Sky-Stone driving the price down, or out-of-game, by merely reducing the price from the outset & stating that it has always been that way, a rare novelty substance that only increased availability has actually made useful.

Either way, I'd say (as the person who wrote the concept) that Sky-Stone's price should be drastically slashed, down to something more like 60gp/negative pound. That way, it would "only" be 75,000gp for a 5' cube (-1,250 pounds), or 12,000gp to negate the weight of the average adventurer with their gear (200 pounds). That's much more reasonable. If this is agreeable to everyone (IE everyone sees this as balanced), then I will change the original entry to reflect the new price. This should make it more viable to build Sky-Stone-based utilities, such as dirigibles.

Triaxx
2008-05-03, 08:06 AM
I mis-read that and didn't realize the ritual itself didn't call for the stone. Otherwise, you only need enough people to suck power out of the stone to make a ship sink from the sky and crash into the city. The resulting chaos can be taken advantage of by the newly flying crew. (Who don't actually have to go down with the ship.)

---

Admittedly, those statistics were for a party building a ship. Dwarves themselves just have to find the stone, and cut it out of the rock. Having a huge floating rock to lift your equipment is far easier to work with than a bag of hot air, which is vulnerable to puncturing. On the other hand, since it is supporting steam engines, it's producing a lot of heat, so hot airbags could take a portion of the load.

I agree, a price cut is in order, but I was thinking more on the lines of 400gp for worlds with rare, and 200gp with an abundance.

The problem I notice now, is that a mining ship of this type would require an ENOURMOUS quantity of Sky-Stone. Since you not only have to support the platform and workers, but also the material you're working with.

---

Sky-stone Barge

Where using a dirigible is impractical, such as transporting heavy loads of precious ores, and gems, the Dwarves of Thembridor have developed the Sky-stone Barge. Carved from a single large piece of Sky-stone, the Barges are carefully loaded to account for the weight of both pilot and cargo. Controlled either with light sails, or magical means, barges are not terrifically manueverable, but are a more cost effective means of moving large cargoes.

Even so, such barges are sometimes supplemented by lighter than air balloons. Other uses for these barges have immerged as transportation for small assault forces of troops, though this is also prohibitively expensive. As with Sky-Stone Dirigibles, Dwarves have an easier time manuevering and constructing these barges. However, since barges are less complex than Dirigibles, they take less talent.

Construction time required is one month, and four DC 15 Craft (Masonry) checks. Non-Dwarves take only a +5 penalty to these checks. Piloting checks for Dwarves or Sailors are DC10 to maintain course, DC 20 to change course, or DC 15 to ascend or descend. All others suffer a +10 penalty to these checks.

Cost: 800gp/negative pound, 25 Craft (Masonry), one month construction time.