PDA

View Full Version : Healing Warlock.

Sachiel
2008-04-23, 06:33 PM
Yeah, i know it sounds wierd. For all in game role playing reasons i have it worked out, what im worried about is if it is going to be a major ballence problem.

This is what i was thinking, adding a simple warlock invocation, an eldritch esscence to be more precice. It would be mabe a lesser invocation that deals 1/2 or mabe 1/3 of the normal eldrtich blast damage in positive energy, nothing else really. I was also thinking of another invocation that works like a lesser restoration spell sort of, healing 1d3 or 1d4 points of attribute damage.

anyways, thanks for any comments or oppinions in advance.

Nebo_
2008-04-23, 06:36 PM
The Enlightened Spirit (I think that's what it's called) from Complete Mage has the ability to spend Turn/Rebuke attempts to heal with Eldritch Blast.

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-23, 06:40 PM
The Enlightened Spirit (I think that's what it's called) from Complete Mage has the ability to spend Turn/Rebuke attempts to heal with Eldritch Blast.

Actually, that would be the eldrich disciple(divine/warlock theruge). The Enlightened Spirit is a crappy version of the warlock that gives up pretty much all versistility for a couple non scaling powers that could pretty much be gotten through regular warlock.

Nebo_
2008-04-23, 06:44 PM
Actually, that would be the eldrich disciple(divine/warlock theruge). The Enlightened Spirit is a crappy version of the warlock that gives up pretty much all versistility for a couple non scaling powers that could pretty much be gotten through regular warlock.

Yes, that's the one. As an invocation, it would be too powerful. Unlimited healing is generally a bad thing.

Sachiel
2008-04-23, 06:47 PM
Oh, i've never really heard of the eldritch disciple class, is there a link where i can find some class info?

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-23, 07:00 PM
Nope, its only in the Complete Mage (PrC section). Still, there is one othe way to heal with a warlock: Use Magic Device+ a wand of vigor or cure light wounds(vigors better, but its only found in the complete divine or spell compendium). With the Deceive item, you can take 10 on your checks and you'll likely never fail. Just start up a communal "heal fund" in the party to pay for it.

Jack_Simth
2008-04-23, 08:32 PM
Yes, that's the one. As an invocation, it would be too powerful. Unlimited healing is generally a bad thing.
It's not as bad as you might think.

It strengthens the classes where their main abilities are at-will (Rogue, Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger, and so on), rather than per-day (Wizard, Cleric, Druid, and so on).

Past level 5-10 range, the classes that are heavy on per-day abilities tend to outstrip the ones that are heavy on at-will abilities in the 4 encounters/day paradigm, and more so on anything with fewer encounters per day.

Unlimited healing permits you to run 8+ encounters in a day... if the per-day classes manage their resources and don't call a halt for the entire party. Basically, it shores up the weaker classes at higher levels, if the DM's play style adjusts to account for it.