View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 38: Greenscales vs Mr Underhill

ArenaManager
2008-04-23, 09:08 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 38: Greenscales vs. Mr Underhill

Map:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/Kyace/glasshouse.png

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

Talic - Greenscales (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3565)
Bayar - Mr Underhill (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=41175)

All Combatants, please roll initiative.

Bayar
2008-04-24, 02:55 AM
[roll0]

Thinking what I should buy for this match.

Talic
2008-04-24, 06:04 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

In the interest of keeping you informed, at the time of match creation, my sheet had not been updated to reflect my last match. Specifically, an item was used, and gold wasn't added.

Pondering Purchases. Will let ya know in a bit.

3 Purchases.

1 Potion of Babau Slime
1 Potion of Hide from Animals
Armor Spikes for my currently equipped armor

Bayar
2008-04-24, 10:40 AM
Lol, I wanted to prepare Babau slime :smallbiggrin:

Talic
2008-04-24, 10:47 AM
GMTA. Any purchases? Otherwise, memorize away, and let's get ready to trade hits with two handed weapons! :smallamused:

Bayar
2008-04-24, 12:06 PM
I am still thinking. Oh, and even though the dog doesnt see you, he can still attack the square you are in, if I command him to. rolling concealment of course :smallbiggrin:

Talic
2008-04-24, 06:01 PM
I'm aware of this... :) It may be a bit more difficult than you think, to do that, but yes, it is possible.

Specifics of why:Attack ability in the handle animal description limits attack to apparent enemies. Nowhere in it does it extend to attacking apparently empty squares. However, the mount is capable of doing it, though it's not trained to, so it would fall under the handle animal description of "Pushing an animal", which has a higher DC, making it more difficult, but possible.

EDIT: Due to Bayar's PC problems that he posted in the waiting room, I'd like to not have a DQ unless it goes beyond 4 days with no post, if possible.

Meh, I'll give it to ya. Greenscales needs to be able to take on 2 guys at once. I've seen some scary summoner builds, and I need to cut my teeth on one.

Talic
2008-04-27, 10:45 AM
Sigh... I checkses this match every day, cause it's my only one... I is a sad Talic.

Bayar
2008-04-27, 10:55 AM
I is back.

If you think that I will get close to you to attack you with my dog, or even let you get close to me, you are barking mad my dear Talic :smallbiggrin:.

Buying 2 scrolls, namely BS and SB. Maybe I will be able to cast these too :smallwink:
Blinding spittle and Splinterbolt

Heh, the sweet part of being a cleric/druid is that you have all the spells in the books at your dispossal. You just have to pick some of them :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Cant open my char sheet, hold on to the match a bit more pls :smalleek:

Talic
2008-04-27, 10:57 AM
Actually, I was hoping to attack you WITH your dog, lol. Heh.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm getting nothing from the SRD. Could you please list the specific titles of those spells? Just so I know what you're trying to beat me in the face with.

If it helps, I'll tell you mine:
A fist.

Bayar
2008-04-27, 11:04 AM
Fine, it might spoil the surprise though...if you really want to know, open this spoiler:

Blinding spittle and Splinterbolt :biggrin:

Talic
2008-04-27, 11:08 AM
Hmm. Let's see, that changes a lot. Sigh.

No additional purchases. Just gotta be VERY careful around your ranged attacks.

Whenever you're ready, sir.

Bayar
2008-04-27, 11:16 AM
Mythweavers doesnt work for me right now...dunno why...cant have acces to my sheet :frown:

Talic
2008-04-27, 11:42 AM
http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3917

I'm a pretty good scribe, if I say so myself.

Bayar
2008-04-27, 02:13 PM
THX, but it seems to be working now...dunno why it was down :smallconfused:

Forgot to buy barding, FFS, I wanted to buy it from 2 matches ago but keep forgetting about it :smallfurious: . Will buy a studded leather barding (50 GP)

Mr Underhill - Round 1

Begin in Z13, shield in 1 hand but not readied, scroll in other. Cast a spell from the scroll. A flame appears in my hand. The mount will stay put for now.

The scroll contains the following spells: Blinding spittle, Splinterbolt, Produce flame X4. I just casted 1 produce flame from this scroll, so I only have 3 more.

End turn.

Stats:
HP 11/11
AC: 15 T:12 FF:14
Produce flame: 1/10
Spells prepared: Virtue, Guidance, Resistance
Entangle, magic stones

Talic
2008-04-27, 08:34 PM
Assume you're mounted?

Ah well, barding doesn't change much... Begin with 2 potions in hand. location: B14.
In hand: 1 potions, 1 hand wearing gauntlet
Standard: Drink Potion
Free: Drop empty bottle.
Move: to J16
Free: Draw guisarme as part of move. (2 handed grip)

Done.

Stats:Location: J16.
HP: 15/15
AC: 15 (Touch 12, FF 13)
In Hand: One hand w/gauntlet, Guisarme in both hands.
Effects on: Hide from Animals 1/100

Edit: Typo in opening statement. Lined out the inaccurate part (2 lines conflicted). Corrected the conflict to match what is in my stat spoiler. (Grr, went back and forth with how to start, and didn't take out my first thought before adding the second, lol)

Bayar
2008-04-28, 05:34 AM
You cant wear a gauntlet and hold a potion in it? I mean, it is a metal glove, it should let you to...

Talic
2008-04-28, 06:02 AM
No, I can't have 2 potions in hand, and 1 potion in hand. They're mutually exclusive.

Yes, a gauntlet can be worn, and still hold a potion or other item. The conflicting statement was when I wrote "Begin with 2 potions in hand"
and on the next line, also wrote "In hand: 1 potions, 1 hand wearing gauntlet". It has to be one or the other, so I had to clarify.

If you'd prefer, the other idea was: 2 potions in hand, drink 1, move (same location), drawing guisarme as part of move, held in 1 hand.

Both work equally well for me, so if you'd prefer one or the other, let me know. I'm not picky.

Bayar
2008-04-28, 07:09 AM
lets use KISS here. That means Keep It Simple Stupid :smallbiggrin: (learned that from Scrapheap =)) ). Use the first one.

Talic
2008-04-28, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I learned it from the Navy. Very well then, No pot in my hands, and I've got a 2 handed kung fu grip on that Guisarme. You're up. :)

Bayar
2008-04-30, 06:36 AM
I hate to think this long for a move.

My mount will move me to Z9.

I ready an action:
Toss the fireball at him if he enters LOE, even partial LOE.

End turn.

Stats:
HP 11/11
Produce flame: 2/10
Entangle, magic stones

Question for refs:
Does entangle work in this arena ?

Talic
2008-04-30, 07:29 AM
Greenscales, Round 2

Only spell that you could really have up is produce flame.

Nice angle. Can't reach you without running through a firing line. Still, even with a crit and max damage on all rolls, that little lighter in your hand can't drop me in one shot... So I think I'm ok with being the first one under fire. At least, for one shot. I don't really want you to get much more than that. After all, next time, you might actually pick a spell that's kinda worrisome.

Move: From J16 to Q16 (50').
Free Action: Rage
Standard: Ready an action:Move if my opponent does anything that would provoke an AoO if I was in a square that threatened his.

Done.

EDIT: Move path if it matters: SE to M19, E to N19, NE to Q16

Stats:Position: Q16
HP: 17/17
AC: 13 (Touch 10, FF 11) - +2 dex, +3 armor, -2 rage.
Effects on: Hide from Animals 2/100, Rage 1/9

Bayar
2008-04-30, 08:14 AM
You triggered my trap ! :smallbiggrin:

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Concealment: [roll2] I miss on a roll between 1-20.

Edit: wow, missed.

Talic
2008-04-30, 08:16 AM
I was about 80% sure you had a ready action to attack. Now I know.

Bayar
2008-04-30, 08:30 AM
Mr Underhill - Round 3

I am kinda weary about your readied action...so I will ready one myself.

Ready an action:
Better play it safe...ready action to cast Blinding spittle WHEN he comes within 15 feet of me.

I guarantee that you dont know what I just readied to do :smallamused:.

End turn.

Stats:
HP 11/11
Entangle, magic stones

Talic
2008-04-30, 08:36 AM
Hmm, you didn't trigger it.

Move: Q16 to U14
Standard: Ready an action:Move if opponent performs any visible action.

Done.

My guess on what you're about to do is 1 of 2 things...

60% - cast a spell if I enter within 10 feet (my melee range)
40% - Move if I enter within 10 feet (seems less like your style)

Stats:
Position: U14
Effects on: Hide from Animals 3/100, Rage 2/9

Bayar
2008-04-30, 08:43 AM
erm...better spoiler that...

Talic
2008-04-30, 08:45 AM
Meh, only effect it revealed was which potion I drank, no big... whenever you're ready. :)

Bayar
2008-04-30, 08:53 AM
Damn, I should have put 25 FT instead of 15 Ft. Told you you wouldnt guess what I just readied :smallbiggrin:

And I know that unless I stand still and do nothing, your readied action will not trigger, but standing still is not my style either.

Mr Underhill - Round 4

I will instruct my mount to move to Z1. There, I dont do any movement. My mount does :smallbiggrin:. Just a minor technicality :smallwink::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Then I will ready an action:
Cast Blinding spittle if he comes within 25 Ft of me.

End turn. Better call a ref to see if your readied action triggers.

Stats:
HP 11/11
Entangle, magic stones

Talic
2008-04-30, 09:04 AM
Instructing your mount to move triggers my ready action.

That would be "performing a visible action".

My action: Move from U14 to Y7. After that, your mount performs a Move action, and you both move. That movement provokes an attack of opportunity from my guisarme.

AoO: Attack you.

Roll: [roll0] vs AC 17.
Damage: [roll1]
If threat: [roll2]
If Crit: [roll3]

After this, your mount continues its action to move to Z1. Continue from that point.

SRD Source to show that technically, you are moving:
Your mount acts on your initiative count as you direct it. You move at its speed, but the mount uses its action to move.

Bayar
2008-04-30, 09:15 AM
I use cover ! [roll0] VS DC 15. If succeeds, I negate all your damage.

Bayar
2008-04-30, 09:20 AM
Now, because I triggered your readied action, I can modify my actions after your action.

So, I stop in Z3. I cant cast spells while I use my mount for cover. But after that, as I just got out of combat, I think I can. If a ref says otherwise, I do the following:

Start casting a spell from the scroll. The one that I readied in my previos spoilers.

Caster check ! [roll0] VS DC 4.

If succeeds, Ranged touch! : [roll1] VS your touch (11 I belive)

Talic
2008-04-30, 09:30 AM
Nice. I move there, You takes cover. This calls into play "you cannot take AoO's on opponents with cover relative to you". Now, the entire attack is negated, because it never even happened. Nice rules-fu. I bow to you.

But your mount still provokes also. And, as it IS your cover, it can't benefit from cover.

AoO on Mount (breaking Hide from Animals after attack):
[roll0] vs Flat footed AC 17/
If hit: [roll1]
If threat: [roll2]
If crit: [roll3]

Also, as a side note:
Cover

You can react instantly to drop down and hang alongside your mount, using it as cover. You can’t attack or cast spells while using your mount as cover. If you fail your Ride check, you don’t get the cover benefit. This usage does not take an action.

Bayar
2008-04-30, 09:43 AM
So, my dog almost kicked the bucket. And I have to redo my turn again.

So, dog double-moves to O1 then. Your move.

Talic
2008-04-30, 10:04 AM
I'll go ahead and give you the ride to change the animal's move, but bear in mind it was given the order to move to Z1. To change it, you'd normally need a 2nd ride check (it's a free action, so not that big a deal there either). Your ride is pretty good, so I'm not all that worried about it.

Now my turn:

Move: From Y7 to R1
Standard: Ready an Action:Move if my opponent attempts to move in any way, or attempts to Cast.

You're up.

Stats:Position: R1
Effects on: Rage 3/9

Bayar
2008-05-02, 07:15 AM
If you readied an action to move near me if I do anything, then I will surrender. Because there is no ****ing way I can win under these conditions.

Although I doubt that readying an action to move/attack someone if he does anything should be an invalid trigger from now on. Or at least not allow you to take an AOO since you moved in the threaten square or something.

Talic
2008-05-02, 11:34 AM
Based on the timings of readied actions, it's legal to move in response to another player's action, and, as that happens immediately before the action is taken, AoO's are allowed to be taken based on that.

You have my readied action fairly closely estimated, but my trigger isn't set to any action you perform. There are many things you can do without triggering it. I just cover the actions that I find to give you the best chance of winning.

Bayar
2008-05-02, 04:21 PM
:sigh:

Mr Underhill - round 5

Ready an action:
To cast Blinding spittle at my opponent if he comes within 25 feet of me (or 30 feet if my mount can 5ft step) and I have LOE (including possible LOE if mount 5ft steps).

Your move.

HP 11/11
Entangle, magic stones

Talic
2008-05-02, 05:46 PM
Hm... 15 Feet away, and no movement.

Your readied action can't be to move, because it's so tactically unsound that it's not funny. As I have greater movement by 10, I can just close to 10 and swing. You're better than that.

I can only assume then, that it's to cast something. I've got 17 HP, so Splinterbolt could kill me, though I think you'll try to get me under 13 HP before you use that one, for a good shot at a decisive finishing move. Produce Flame and Magic Stone wouldn't do much, so I can rule them out. Blinding spittle is likely, or a memorized spell. Now, I can't predict a memorized spell, but it couldn't do more potential harm to my chances than Blinding spittle. The only thing that could come close is entangle... And I'm not sure if you'd memorize that. My odds aren't much above 50/50 to hit you, and you can wait me out on this ready action thing until my rage ends... Decisions...

Sigh, this would be a lot easier if you'd just stay still so I could hit you. One more round, I guess, see if I can pull something off here. Change up my readied action a bit, maybe you won't be able to guess it.

Greenscales, Round 6.

No Move action taken.
Standard: Ready an action: Attack if my opponent readies an action. I plan on using a 5 foot step to bring me within range with my guisarme.
Done.

Stats:Position: R1
In Hand: One hand wearing gauntlet, Guisarme in both hands.
Effects on: Rage 5/9

Bayar
2008-05-03, 05:06 AM
Wait, 15 feet away? My readied action becomes illegal. Oh well...

And the distance between us made my instints to kick in.

Mr Underhill - Round 6

My dog will move from O1 to N1.

Standard action: Cast spell from scroll.

Caster check: [roll0] DC 4.
Touch attack: [roll1]

If succeeds, you go blind.
Edit: Woohoo ! :smallbiggrin:

Talic
2008-05-03, 05:19 AM
I'll make my turn once I return to books. However, Readied action did not trigger...

Hmm.

Timing of washing eyes out, please.

Bayar
2008-05-03, 05:45 AM
Good thing that you dont have any water with you :smallbiggrin:

Talic
2008-05-03, 06:22 AM
The timing, please. Standard or full round?

NM, I'm no longer AFB. I'll get the answer myself. One moment.

Talic
2008-05-03, 07:12 AM
Question for refs:I have a potion still. The specific text of the spell lists as follows:

The subject is blinded until it can wash its eyes with water or some other rinsing fluid, which requires a standard action.

As potions are inert unless drank (unlike poisons or acids, which have negative effects), would they qualify as a rinsing fluid? If so, I just bought the realm's most expensive eyedrops.

FlyMolo
2008-05-04, 11:53 AM
Question for refs:I have a potion still. The specific text of the spell lists as follows:

As potions are inert unless drank (unlike poisons or acids, which have negative effects), would they qualify as a rinsing fluid? If so, I just bought the realm's most expensive eyedrops.

Well, they are a fluid. Sometimes the solvent is bodak spittle or nasty things for potions, so maybe you don't want to put that in your eyes? Beats me, really. What the hell. Go for it. It makes sense to me.

Talic
2008-05-04, 12:08 PM
K, Just wanted to get an Idea.

Move: to O1.
Free: Switch to 1 handed grip on guisarme.
Standard: Melee touch attack against N1 (grapple).

Now, assuming you're both in the square, I have a 50/50 shot to be aiming for you, and a 50/50 to be aiming for your mount. (2 invis opponents in same square, effectively)

(You=1, mount=2)
Melee Touch attack: [roll1]
if Threat: [roll2]
Miss Chance (1-50 misses): [roll3]
Opposed Grapple Check: 1d20+13
Damage if successful: [roll4]
Can't move into target's space (mount present, or PC present), grapple can't be maintained from this point.

Talic
2008-05-04, 12:09 PM
Broken rolls: Opposed Grapple check: [roll0]

Additional damage for threat: [roll1]

Edit: I believe that's match.

Bayar
2008-05-04, 12:16 PM
Nono, you have to roll miss chances normally, regardless of how many creatures are in a square.

Edit: havent seen that, sry.

Bayar
2008-05-04, 12:19 PM
Covering !

ride check to cover: [roll0] VS DC 15. And since you cant see, I guess you cant target the dog.

**** **** **** THIS **** !!!

Talic
2008-05-04, 12:22 PM
Nice. But this isn't an AoO. This is an actual attack. No using cover to negate it this time. And even if you get +4 AC from cover, I still hit your touch AC+4 on the threat confirmation, so cover wouldn't have helped anyway.

Bayar
2008-05-05, 09:37 AM
Ah, I am such a moron...you trigger an AOO from the dog or do you ? I mean, yeah, I cant AOO you, but the dog might, since you are blind and are in his threaten square...

Dog AOO attack: [roll0] VS your AC...of 9 I belive.
Dog AOO damage: [roll1]

If this hits, grapple fails.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Talic
2008-05-05, 09:19 PM
Improved Grapple. I don't provoke.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-13, 06:35 PM
This match is ready to be called, yes? I want to make sure everything is in order... don't want to call it prematurely.

Bayar
2008-05-14, 02:21 AM
Please call the living **** out of it.

Talic
2008-05-14, 02:24 AM
Unless anyone can see a reason why the insanely improbable series of rolls above should result in anything other than a win for me, then yes.

Sorry, Bayar. You suckered me on that spittle spell good. You honestly should've won. That one post had every single roll go my way, though.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-14, 07:40 AM
High Ref Sam

Greenscales is the Winner! All prizes subject to change without notice, no purchase necessary, details inside. For full contest rules... :smallbiggrin: