PDA

View Full Version : Wand chamber mechanics?

Hal
2008-04-23, 10:25 PM
I picked up Dungeonscape recently, and this one got me thinking.

Wand chambers allow you to use a wand while it's inside your weapon. If you use a wand that is range of touch, how does that activate? Do you make a touch attack? Or an you activate it with an actual attack? Does it end up acting like Arcane Channeling, as with Duskblades? If a Duskblade uses one, could he make an attack with the wand/weapon AND channel a spell?

Suropej
2008-04-24, 12:10 AM
I'd say that for a touch spell it would be kind of like knighting a person, where you just rest the blade on the target (or touch them with whatever), or in the case of a foe you slap them around a bit with the weapon, but you don't get an attack with it.

AmberVael
2008-04-24, 01:30 AM
You activate the wand just like you would activate a wand normally, which is pretty much just like you'd cast a spell normally.
When you activate a wand that uses a touch spell (say shocking grasp) do you actually run up to someone and whack them with the wand? No. You use the spell as if you had cast it, and you can't use a stick to deliver a touch spell, now can you?
Using a Wand Chamber essentially allows you to activate a wand while holding a weapon, nothing more. There are no changes.

So rules in summary:
A wand chamber allows you to activate a wand that has been contained within an item (thus allowing you to hold the wand and item in one hand).
A wand is a spell trigger activation item which usually takes one standard action to activate.
Once a wand is activated, it expends a charge and allows one use of the spell contained within (as if it had been cast).

Fostire
2008-04-24, 12:33 PM
I picked up Dungeonscape recently, and this one got me thinking.

Wand chambers allow you to use a wand while it's inside your weapon. If you use a wand that is range of touch, how does that activate? Do you make a touch attack? Or an you activate it with an actual attack? Does it end up acting like Arcane Channeling, as with Duskblades? If a Duskblade uses one, could he make an attack with the wand/weapon AND channel a spell?

I'd say that you make an attack roll, if you roll higher than its touch AC you hit with the wands touch attack, and if you also roll higher than its regular AC you also hit with the weapon.

AmberVael
2008-04-24, 02:47 PM
I'd say that you make an attack roll, if you roll higher than its touch AC you hit with the wands touch attack, and if you also roll higher than its regular AC you also hit with the weapon.

Except the touch spell is not channeled through the sword, as I stated earlier. :smallsigh:
If I wield a sword normally and cast a touch spell, can I hit someone with the sword and deliver the spell? No. Why?
Because you have to touch the creature. Not something you hold, but you.

If I use the spell from a wand, I still have to touch the creature.
Wand chambers allow you to activate a wand while it is inside something, and nothing else. It doesn't channel it through your weapon/item or anything. Thus, you STILL have to touch the creature while using a weapon with a wand chamber.

Hal
2008-04-24, 02:55 PM
Except the touch spell is not channeled through the sword, as I stated earlier. :smallsigh:
If I wield a sword normally and cast a touch spell, can I hit someone with the sword and deliver the spell? No. Why?
Because you have to touch the creature. Not something you hold, but you.

If I use the spell from a wand, I still have to touch the creature.
Wand chambers allow you to activate a wand while it is inside something, and nothing else. It doesn't channel it through your weapon/item or anything. Thus, you STILL have to touch the creature while using a weapon with a wand chamber.

So what about a Duskblade? Could a Duskblade use his Arcane Channeling class feature to channel a spell with a wand chamber?

AmberVael
2008-04-24, 03:00 PM
So what about a Duskblade? Could a Duskblade use his Arcane Channeling class feature to channel a spell with a wand chamber?

No, because Arcane Channeling requires you to cast a touch spell that you know, and activating a wand does not count as casting for that purpose.