PDA

View Full Version : Jade Swordmaster: New Class

Xeios
2008-04-23, 10:53 PM
Jade Swordmaster

A Jade Swordmaster strives for perfection with his weapon, he lives with his weapon, breathes through it, rests his hopes and dreams upon it, and carves his way to fame with his amazing prowess with it. A veritable one-man army, able to destroy many without trouble, and live to tell the tale.

"Long ago, A man stood against an army, and emerged, a Legend. Gather round children, and I shall tell you all the tale, of Azzarel Tathata, Master of the Jade Way, and champion of the common people."
-- Brenth Kallisto, Aged Philosopher, and Follower of the Jade Way.

Why should a Jade Swordmaster quest? It is part of a divine rite of passing. To become of a legend, something unconquerable. An ideal, many will search for, an ideal, many will fail to achieve.

Combat Role: A Jade Swordmaster is a veritable damage dealing beast. His many sword strikes and unique combo system allow for him to be one-of-a-kind. He takes the role of a Monk, and his weaponry gains power as he levels.

Abilities: Dexterity is the lifeblood of the Swordmaster. But secondarily, Wisdom is needed, so as to boost his unarmored AC.
Alignment: Any. The Jade Swordmaster bases his life off the elements, he can be as unchanging and neutral as the earth, as unknown and as chaotic as the flame, or as loyal and lawful as the stream.
Hit Die: d8.
Weapon Proficiencies: All simple weapons as well as light armor. His Jade Longsword is counted as a proficient weapon.
Base Attack Bonus Progression: 4/4
Save Progression: Same as Warrior.

Class Skills:

Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points: 4 + Int Modifier, x4 for First Level.

Class Features:

Jade Swordmaster
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Grace of Wind, Jade Longsword

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Jade Power Attack

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Wisdom of Earth +1

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|The Jade Way +1

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Sword of the Master

6th|
+6/1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Strike of the Tiger

7th|
+7/2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Wisdom of Earth +2

8th|
+8/3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Slam of the Dragon +1d8

9th|
+9/4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Precision of the Eagle

10th|
+10/5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Sword of the Emperor

11th|
+11/6/1|
+7|
+3|
+3|Wisdom of Earth +3

12th|
+12/7/2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Low Blow, The Jade Way +2

13th|
+13/8/3|
+8|
+4|
+4|Slam of the Dragon +3d8

14th|
+14/9/4|
+9|
+4|
+4|Strike of the Boar x4

15th|
+15/10/5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Wisdom of Earth +4, Sword of the Hero

16th|
+16/11/6/1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Sweep Kick

17th|
+17/12/7/2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Strike of the Boar x6

18th|
+18/13/8/3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Slam of the Dragon +5d8

19th|
+19/14/9/4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Wisdom of Earth +5

20th|
+20/15/10/5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Finishing Stab, Sword of the Legend, The Jade Way +3[/table]

Grace of Wind:(Level 1) The Swordmaster may add his dexterity bonus to his attack rolls, so long as he is wielding his Jade Longsword(Or another variant of this weapon). Also, because of his extreme amount of skill with the blade, he may add either his strength modifier, or his dexterity modifier to his attack damage, whichever is higher.

Jade Power Attack:(Level 2) While wielding the Jade Longsword(or it's variants), the Swordmaster make make a power attack, dealing half his level rounded down in damage.(Minimum 1) He may also use this attack as many times per day as his Wisdom Modifier + 1.

Wisdom of Earth:(Level 3) The Swordmaster may, while unarmored, add his Wis modifier to his AC. Also, as an added benefit, the Swordmaster gains +1 to his AC at this level, and every four levels succeeding it. (+2 at 7, +3 at 11...etc...+5 at 19)

The Jade Way: Upon reaching fourth level, the Jade Swordmaster gains the ability of The Jade Way. Treat this as having "Weapon Specialization: Jade Longsword" and "Weapon Mastery: Jade Longsword." This ability improves by one every eight levels succeeding this one.

Strike of the Tiger:(Level 6) With a potent horizontal slash the Swordmaster may strike up to three enemies in front of him. All the foes the Swordmaster hits must be adjacent to himself, as well as, adjacent to each other.

Slam of the Dragon:(Level 8) The Swordmaster makes a powerful overhead slash to his foe. Any critical from this attack effectively doubles the damage of said critical. (i.e. His Jade Longsword, 1d8 19-20/x2 is turned into a 1d8 x4(Note the critical threat range is dropped to a natural 20)) The slam, improves every five levels. (3d8 damage at 13th level, 5d8 damage at 18th level)

Precision of the Eagle: At ninth level, the Jade Swordmaster is treated as having the Improved Critical feat for his Jade Longsword(And all it's variants). Even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites.

Low Blow:(Level 12) This special move takes up the space of an attack for this round. Using the Maximum Base Attack Bonus for the Swordmaster, the attack strikes out at a particularly weakening position on the target. The target has the wind knocked out of them for the remainder of the Swordmaster's turn. Thus their dexterity bonus to AC is forfeited.

Strike of the Boar:(Level 14) This special attack take the space of an attack action for this round. Using Maximum Base Attack Bonus for the Swordmaster, the Swordmaster attempts to strike the target quickly with a deadly attack. On a successful hit, this attack counts as a critical attack(Though there is no special bonus for actually rolling a critical on this attack). The player deals damage as if the weapon had achieved a x4 critical. Requirements: This attack must target an opponent under the effects of "Low Blow" or "Sweep Kick." At 17th level, the critical damage is raised to x6.

Sweep Kick:(Level 16) This special move takes the place of two attacks for this round. Using the Maximum Base Attack Bonus for the Swordmaster, a lightning fast sweep kick is executed, knocking all adjacent enemies off their feet on a successful hit. Any enemy knocked down must roll a Fortitude Save DC 18 in order to remain conscious, if the save is failed, the enemy is rendered unconscious until the Swordmaster's next turn. A successful save allows the enemy to recover from being knocked down at the end of the Swordmaster's current turn.

Finishing Stab:(Level 20) This very potent full-round action can decide the outcome of battles. It is engineered to eliminated a weakened foe. Usable only once per day. Reflex save DC 10 + (Dex modifier) + (1/2 Character Level) to reduce the effectiveness by one level. (i.e. The effect of the one hit kill at 24% or less health is reduced to the effect of 25% health through 49% health)

75% health and above = Normal attack damage.
50% health through 74% health = Deals damage equivalent to his Character Level.
25% health through 49% health = Swordmaster deals his character level in damage in addition to his normal attack damage.
24% health or less = Foe is instantly terminated. (Enemies immune to critical hits are immune to this type of damage, in that instance, deal one-and-a-half times the Swordmaster's character level in damage, as well as, his normal attack damage)

Jade Longsword: A weapon bestowed upon the Swordmaster upon the completion of his training. This weapon symbolizes all the Swordmaster stands for, and is the only weapon, aside from simple weapons, which the Swordmaster has received any training. The Jade Longsword acts as a Masterwork Longsword.

Sword of the Master: At Fifth level, the Jade Longsword grows with the fame of the Swordmaster and becomes a Master Longsword. Treat this weapon as a +2 Keen Longsword.

Sword of the Emperor: At Tenth level, the Master Longsword grows with the increasing fame of the Swordmaster, and becomes an Imperial Longsword. Treat this Weapon as a +3 Longsword of Speed.

Sword of the Hero: At Fifteenth level, the Imperial Longsword grows even further with the Swordmaster's fame and experience, becoming a Heroic Longsword. Treat this Weapon as a +5 Shocking Longsword. (Sword of the Hero and Sword of the Legend are regarded as Adamantine weapons when determining damage reduction and bypassing hardness.

Sword of the Legend: At Twentieth level, The Heroic Longsword reaches a state of Legendary Power, becoming the Sword of Legend. Treat this weapon as a very special case. A +5 Shocking Burst Longsword of Speed, except that the damage dealt by this weapon is now 2d8, and it's critical multiplier is x4.(During 'Slam of the Dragon' this weapon deals x6 damage on a successful critical hit)

Should the Swordmaster's weapon be destroyed by any means, he is able to remake the weapon at the cost of 1 months time(to make his pilgrimage to his monastery). He makes the weapon as the basic Jade Longsword, and must have a religious ritual, celebrating the Jade Way, to attune the weapon to him, and to allow his sword to grow with him again.

The Swordmaster must pay for ritual fees equivalent to the normal weapon enhancement cost -20%. (So to get his Legendary Longsword again he must pay the cost of a +5 Shocking Burst Longsword of Speed minus 20& of the total cost)

Thanks for Reading!

I would love to hear comments on balancing this class. I am certain people will find this a least a little unbalanced, but I do not know how to remove anything, without destroying the feeling of the class.

So please, post up comments, questions, and anything else, I'll be checking in frequently to see your comments. Thanks a bunch.

P.S. This is my first class, be as harsh as you'd like. :P

P.P.S. Consider this my entry for the Class Contest.

P.P.P.S. (Last one I promise) If anyone could help me get a nifty table like as seen in all the other class sections, I'd be much obliged.

celtois
2008-04-24, 06:30 PM
first you'll need a bit more fluff for the class creation contest

now heres you class in a table :)

Jade Swordmaster
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Grace of Wind, Jade Longsword
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|-

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Wisdom of Earth +1
4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Slam of the Dragon 1d8

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Sword of the Master,Wisdom of Earth +2

6th|
+6/1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Strike of the Tiger

7th|
+7/2|
+5|
+2|
+2|-

8th|
+8/3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Slam of the Dragon 2d8, Precision of the Eagle

9th|
+9/4|
+6|
+3|
+3|-

10th|
+10/5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Sword of the Emperor, Wisdom of Earth +3

11th|
+11/6/1|
+7|
+3|
+3|-

12th|
+12/7/2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Low Blow, Slam of the Dragon 3d8

13th|
+13/8/3|
+8|
+4|
+4|-

14th|
+14/9/4|
+9|
+4|
+4|-

15th|
+15/10/5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Wisdom of Earth +4, Sword of the Hero

16th|
+16/11/6/1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Sweep Kick. Slam of the Dragon 4d8

17th|
+17/12/7/2|
+10|
+5|
+5|-

18th|
+18/13/8/3|
+11|
+6|
+6|-

19th|
+19/14/9/4|
+11|
+6|
+6|-

20th|
+20/15/10/5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Finishing Stab,Sword of the Legend, Wisdom of Earth, Slam of the Dragon 5d8[/table]

first explain what the jade long sword at first level (I added it as an abbility)
so a few questions can your sword be enchanted normally?
and way to many abbiliies at 20th level

2nd there are to many dead levels all 3 of the levels before 20th have no abbility try to spread out he mass of 20th abillities to the empty levels

read this to give you some ideas
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55947
other then that it looks like it would be well balanced and fun to play :)

lord of kobolds
2008-04-24, 08:44 PM
You Do Need To Add More Detail As To Who They Are, How They Become Jade Swordmasters, Etc.

Mando Knight
2008-04-24, 09:23 PM
Slam of the Dragon:(Note the critical threat range is dropped to a natural 20)

Sword of the Legend: At Twentieth level, The Heroic Longsword reaches a state of Legendary Power, becoming the Sword of Legend. Treat this weapon as a very special case. A +5 Vorpal Longsword of Speed, except that the damage dealt by this weapon is now 2d8, and it's critical multiplier is x4.(During 'Slam of the Dragon' this weapon deals x6 damage on a successful critical hit)

I believe that these are somewhat contradictory powers... the threat range during Slam of the Dragon is natural 20 only, but you describe its ability as stacking with that of the Sword of Legend, though Vorpal comes into effect on a natural 20... are there any creatures both vulnerable to critical damage and unaffected by decapitation? Aberrations and oozes, maybe?

D Knight
2008-04-24, 09:27 PM
from what i have read it looks pretty sound but i would think at least light armor would be wearable to even the most exp swordsman. but hey thats just me. so good job keep up the good work

Xeios
2008-04-24, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the Table, and I'll be sure to fluff it sufficiently.

First of all, Finishing stab is not multiple abilities, it is all one ability that fluctuates depending on the remaining amount of HP the foe has.

Secondly, good point with the natural twenty on the vorpal weapon when combined with Slam of the Dragon. I will edit the sword to remove vorpal. Vorpal did kind of seem like a little extra stretch to me. OK, if I replace Vorpal with a weapon effect, then should I have it be Shocking Burst, changing the weapon before to just Shocking?

And I will move around abilities some, just to try and even it out a bit.

Thanks for the input, and please keep with the comments on anything I do change. :D

celtois
2008-04-25, 09:24 AM
you still haven't stated out the jade longsword :smalltongue:

other then that looks alright nice job with the new abillities and fixing most of the blank levels

here my suggestion for levels 2 and 4 though give them a fighter bonus feat that way the levels aren't blank and helps them get cleave or other useful melee attacks

or

maybe this:

Jade Longsword Mastery: (level 2 )
you get +1 on attack rolls with your jade longsword
this increases by 1 every (7 levels) not really sure when it should increase mind you

Jade Longsword Specialization (level 4)
your gain +1 damage with your jade longsword
this bonus goes up by one every (7 levels) not really sure when it should increase mind you

mind you the two abilities I suggested are kinda boring.

also shouldn't it be slam of the dragon +4d8 at 18th level?

maybe this

Jade Blade Barrier: (level 4)
when wielding your jade longsword as a standard action you can
make an attack and if you hit you deal no damage but replace the 10 in your
armour class with your attack roll

Jade Power Strike (level 2)
when wielding your jade longsword you can make an attack that deals your
jade sword master level times your wisdom mod in extra damage and gains a bonus to hit equal to your jade swordmaster level/2 min 1 you can do this a number of times per day = to your wis mod times 2

Xeios
2008-04-25, 11:50 AM
Damn! I meant to change the descriptor of Slam of the Dragon, since I changed around the levels it powers up...

And I'm gonna try and state out the Jade longsword, but I'm not entirely certain what you mean by that.

Also I love the Jade Power Attack, so I'm gonna put that in there at level 2.

Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming!

Cairoi
2008-04-26, 03:11 PM
Hmm...I really like the changes you've made to it. It's inspired me to make another class. XD

That being said, my suggestions:

-Sweep Kick is weird. I don't understand how falling from a trip kick would knock someone unconcious, or why that move would be so high-level.

Bandededed
2008-04-26, 03:23 PM
I think what he means by "stat out the Jade Longsword" is to set up a table like in the PHB. You also mention variants, as though the Longsword is not the only option. Something like this perhaps:

{table]Jade Weapon | Damage | Critical | Special | Cost
Dagger | ?? | ?? | ?? | ??
Longsword | ?? | ?? | ?? | ??
Bastard Sword | ?? | ?? | ?? | ??
Greatsword | ?? | ?? | ?? | ??
Double sword | ?? | ?? | ?? | ??[/table]

The differences could be anything from doing increased damage over a normal weapon to just being plain ol' masterwork, it's up to you.

lord of kobolds
2008-04-26, 04:21 PM
The Jade Way: Upon reaching fourth level, the Jade Swordmaster gains the ability of The Jade Way. Treat this as having "Weapon Specialization: Jade Longsword" and "Weapon Mastery: Jade Longsword." This ability improves by one every eight levels succeeding this one.
How does this get +1???:smallconfused:

Xeios
2008-04-26, 08:27 PM
Sorry, when I mentioned Variants I meant "Jade Longsword," "Master Longsword," "Imperial Longsword," "Heroic Longsword," "Legendary Longsword."

It gets +1 as in each rank of it, you get another +1 to damage and to hit.

so by 20th level you have an extra +3 on attack rolls, and an extra +3 on damage rolls.

Unless that's too powerful.