PDA

View Full Version : The Cold Mamajamma

BillsBioBlog
2008-04-24, 12:08 AM
Okay, so I haven't contracted a cold in like, five years... so imagine my surprise when two days ago I wake up and I can't stop sneezing. That was the first of my problems, because later that day... whilst working on a book I plan to publish... my nose becomes so stuffy it feels like it will explode. And then, last night, I spent the entire night waking up over and over because due to the uncomfort in my nasal cavity.

I've tried everything... I've slept, I've taken ibuprofen, and I've drank so much orange juice my skin's practically turning orange. Is there an old family trick you fellas know that I haven't tried that usually does the trick?

(I ask this on the off chance a tribal shaman or gypsy happens to be a member on this forum)

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-04-24, 12:26 AM
Well, Bill...My solution to a cold is to lie and bed and call people long distance and whine that they should bring me soup and sammiches. :smalltongue:

Okay...Now, what I usually do is seek out a diabetic version of cold medicine, realize it's too expensive, and take the normal stuff. I get both daytime and nighttime formulas, taking them at the appropriate times. To get just the nighttime stuff means a week-long nap, which doesn't really help.

My appetite tends to go while I'm sick, but that's the stuffy nose making things taste...odd. I believe "feed a fever, starve a cold" is hogwash. The body needs energy to fight. When I have a cold, my diet turns to orange juice and chicken soup. Not together...That tastes yucky. (Yes, I'm 40 and I said "yucky." :smalltongue: )

Also, if you want to get over the cold, stay home and let it get out of your system. If you go out and are around people you regularly see, you tend to give it to them, then they give it back, then they hand it back, etc. STAY HOME!

Slam your place with a dose of Lysol, or some other germ-killing spray, at least once a day. Since a cold is a virus, there's really no medication to kill it, but you can reduce its stay with you by hitting those germs you leave behind where you sneeze, cough, or touch.

This has been Dr. Bor, with his tips on how to battle a cold. Next time, be a really hot girl and I'll offer you a free physical. :smallbiggrin:

Don Julio Anejo
2008-04-24, 12:38 AM
Uhm ibuprofen is a painkiller, it does nothing to your nose..

Go to a pharmacy and get a nasal decongestant spray. That stuff works pretty well 90% of the time. Night cold medicines like Robitussin also work but they're not that effective and work as tranquilizers. Day cold medicines do almost nothing to alleviate the symptoms.

PS: food tastes weird when you have a cold because you can't smell it, but in your mind you eat foods, you pair them with the smells they give off and think of smell and taste together as "taste" rather than separately.

Icewalker
2008-04-24, 12:55 AM
Uh...what you described sounds a bit more serious than your average cold, especially if you haven't had one in a long time. I suggest making sure it isn't something worse, before just ignoring it/taking standard medicine and waiting for it to go away.

Nychta
2008-04-24, 12:58 AM
It seems like... more than a cold.
However, for temporary relief, you could try my bastardised form of acupressure (note: not to be confused with acupuncture). Hold two fingers between your eyes, on the sides of the nose, and massage your way up the 'eyebrow' bone. It works for, like, 2-3 minutes. Let me know if I helped, and please don't impale yourself or poke youself in the eye in the process.

thubby
2008-04-24, 01:20 AM
things that are incredibly minty, spicy, or pepperminty usually helps my congestion. if only temporarily. those mint strips are great for that, if you don't mind the tongue numbing sensation.

SDF
2008-04-24, 02:45 AM
Sounds like you might have a sinus infection and/or allergies, have you ever seen a doctor about it before?

I had the flu for the first time in 8 years this year, and it was so bad I purchased an abundance of over the counter drugs for it. What works? Well most things with pseudoephedrine such as NyQuil D (that spoon will knock you the wombat out, but thats from the doxylamine succinate, so anything else with pseudoephdrine will work if you don't plan to sleep the sickness off) You have to get it from behind the pharmacy counter and sign a paper for just about anything with pseudoephedrine in it because it is one of the primary ingredients in meth. It shouldn't be a problem unless you want like a bulk purchase or something. Anyhow, I'm convinced the drug designed to replace it (phenylephrine HCL) is crap and doesn't do anything. Just one chemists humble opinion. :smalltongue:

Vella_Malachite
2008-04-24, 03:41 AM
Yeah, I agree, this may be a little more than a normal cold. However, please don't start getting hypochondria.

As for congestion remedies, really, really, really, hot lemon juice with as little water or sugar as you can stand. From about four lemons. Everyone says it tastes bad, but I kind of like it...:smallcool:

Nychta
2008-04-24, 04:44 AM
Oh! And before I dash off, wasabi is incredibly good. I usually avoid it because it makes sore throats worse, but if you have mint and honey, wasabi is the way to go. Trust my asiantastic senses.

DraPrime
2008-04-24, 06:48 AM
Sleep. Lots of sleep. Drink tons of stuff (preferably not alcohol). Eat stuff. That's pretty much it. And if you do plan on using wasabi as nadia suggested, then don't buy the crap kind. It's horseradish died green. Get the expensive stuff. When you eat that it'll hit you like 20d6 fire damage. You might as well use the big guns. And if it doesn't get better in a few days, go see the good doctor. Doctors are much better than us playgrounders.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-04-24, 07:15 AM
I have a permanent cold or something...I donīt know.

It seems like I take all the diseases, for me, and those of my brother, my brother getting none.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-24, 07:16 AM
Here's a couple of energy healing techniques you could try as well:

Put your hands in a "( )" shape while keeping them about an inch apart while visualising a ball of positive enegy between them (this should ideally be light pink or green). Move your hands away from each other before moving them back to their original position (without them touching each other), and you should feel some force (it shold feel like magnetic resistance). After doing this for a few moments, apply your hands to any areas of your body (or someone else's body) which hurt or are experiencing other health problems (eg: if someone had a cold, applying the energy to their nose and sinuses would help).

Before using that technique, ground yourself by imagiing roots extending from the bottom of your feet into the earth while visualising a forcefield around your body (this prevents you from taking on negative energy (and possibly other people's pain/health problems). Another technique involves standing on bare soil or sand (or grass if you don't have access to soil or sand) after taking your shoes and socks off before grounding yourself and visualising that you're drawing energy from the earth through the roots before imagning it travelling through your body.

I agree about seeing your doctor about it if it doesn't get better soon. By the way, I'm not a Shaman, but I could probably help to a degree (see my sig for further details).

Catskin
2008-04-24, 08:57 AM
I agree with others that it sounds like allergies. Spring is allergy season. Have you recently moved to a new area (with plants you aren't used to?), recently kept the window open, any new pets, changes in laundry detergent, soaps, cleaners and the like?

If it is allergies, I'm afraid the only definite remedy is to get away from the allergen. In the meantime, I find that a strong antihistamine like benadryl can do wonders.

BillsBioBlog
2008-04-24, 03:53 PM
Response to people who think I have a fatal illness:
Well crap...

Response to people who asked if I have been to the doctor's before for allergies:
Well, I've never been allergic to pollen or anything... until now if that's the case

BillsBioBlog
2008-04-24, 03:58 PM
It seems like... more than a cold.
However, for temporary relief, you could try my bastardised form of acupressure (note: not to be confused with acupuncture). Hold two fingers between your eyes, on the sides of the nose, and massage your way up the 'eyebrow' bone. It works for, like, 2-3 minutes. Let me know if I helped, and please don't impale yourself or poke youself in the eye in the process.

I did that and I felt this popping sensation in my shnozz, and then yeah it felt alright.

Also, wasami... never even heard of it unfortunately