PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to see the "Dragon" magaine strips ?

lothos
2008-04-24, 04:59 AM
Hello,
I've recently joined the forums, so many apologies in advance if this question has already been asked. I haven't figured out if there is a way to search through the titles of older threads. I looked back a couple of months, but couldn't find anything, so here goes:

I know that Rich did a lot of strips for the magazine Dragon and I've read about those strips a bit on-line. However I haven't read Dragon for about 15 years so I never saw any of them and I was wondering if there is either:

a) A compilation book I can buy of them.
b) A (legal and copyright respecting) way to view them on-line

If they are not compiled in to a book, I'd like to suggest that would be a good idea. I'd buy it. Of course there might be complex copyright issues, like I assume that the publishers of Dragon hold copyright on them, rather than Rich. Still, just thought I'd float the idea.

(Apologies again if this has been thrashed out recently !)

FujinAkari
2008-04-24, 05:05 AM
Not currently, no.

Rich said he would try and work something out, but since Hasbro owns the work (those specific comics) nothing has been produced yet.

Wyvern_55
2008-04-24, 05:15 AM
Try the periodicals at your local library, you might get lucky and find some back issues of Dragon, you might not find all the comics, but you might be able to see some of them.

TroyXavier
2008-04-24, 06:37 AM
Likely they'll be a supplement instead of a full book as there weren't that many strips.

Tingel
2008-04-24, 07:03 AM
I have 16 pages of Dragon strips. I could post them here, but I suspect that this might not be legally kosher. I am also not sure whether or not Mister Burlew would frown upon it. Can someone tell me if posting the strips would be okay?

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-24, 07:13 AM
I have 16 pages of Dragon strips. I could post them here, but I suspect that this might not be legally kosher. I am also not sure whether or not Mister Burlew would frown upon it. Can someone tell me if posting the strips would be okay?

That would be a resounding NO.

Yeah, I'd love to see them, but the mods will remove them if you post them. Someone did once post one of the Dragon Strips, and it was removed as soon as the mods became aware of it.

I think Rich will include them in a book, probably in their own section so it doesn't affect the flow of the story.

lothos
2008-04-24, 08:15 AM
Ah well, that does explain things. I assumed someone had already thought about publishing these, since it was the first thing I thought of when I heard about them. Pity about that, I guess when you can't have something you want it even more :-)

Good idea about the library, but I live in Australia, I don't think my library has Dragon, or ever has. I might try my local gaming store though as they often have a "bargain bucket" of old stuff they are selling off.

Thanks to all those who replied. Hopefully eventually we will be able to see them compiled in some fashion.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-04-24, 08:34 AM
Blame the sudden cancellation and replacement of Dragon. It left everyone with a regular contribution to that magazine in a bit of a lurch.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-24, 12:24 PM
The easiest way is this:

(1) Learn D&D, if you haven't already.
(2) Join as many local groups as you can find.
(3) Make an off-hand mention OOTS.
(4) You will surely run into a fan who has all the Dragons and lets you read the strips.
(5) ???
(6) Profit.

Parlik
2008-04-24, 12:29 PM
Hmm anyone have a list of what issues of Dragon they appeared in?

aapje
2008-04-24, 12:35 PM
Jup, 338-359.

lothos
2008-04-24, 09:04 PM
The easiest way is this:

(1) Learn D&D, if you haven't already.
(2) Join as many local groups as you can find.
(3) Make an off-hand mention OOTS.
(4) You will surely run into a fan who has all the Dragons and lets you read the strips.
(5) ???
(6) Profit.

Do I have to always play Gnome characters to complete steps 5 and 6 ?
:-) Is there a new prestige class of "Gnome Underpants thief" ?

I did learn D&D, about 20 years ago. Yes, that was "D&D", not even "A D&D" 1st edition. I later played and then DM'd 1st edition A D&D for about 8 years, but just never seem to have the time since I had a family :-) No, I never even played 2nd edition, let alone 3rd, 3.5.

Hey, interesting unrelated thought, you say "3rd edition" or "2nd edition" and "4th edition", but what ordinal could you use for "3.5" ? could you say "3.5th/rd" edition :-)

Anyway, back to my original point about the Dragon strips, I guess I was looking for a quick way to get at them, without having to search out the magazines individually.

If I had time though, I'd definitely pursue your suggestion... hopefully including step 6.