PDA

View Full Version : Custom Warlock

Fostire
2008-04-24, 01:03 PM
Im currently playing a warlock whose powers come from a celestial source.
I could easily refluff it to fit a celestial source but i want his abilities to reflect that as well.
The modifications i thought of where to make his eldritch blast good aligned (although i dont know what benefit that would give), change his DR to /magic instead of /cold iron, and remove fire and sonic from the list of resistances to choose from.
I would like to change fiendish resilience as well but i couldnt think of a celestialish ability to replace it.

So what i need help on is:
1- Are the changes i made balanced?
2- What could i change fiendish resilience for?
3- What invocations should i add/remove/change? (feel free to create new invocations)

Kesnit
2008-04-24, 01:37 PM
The modifications i thought of where to make his eldritch blast good aligned (although i dont know what benefit that would give),

Since a normal warlock's EB isn't alignment-aligned, that would give your warlock an advantage over a standard. Esp since there are creatures that have DR/good.

change his DR to /magic instead of /cold iron,

That would actually give you a disadvantage since a +1 blade can overcome DR/magic.

and remove fire and sonic from the list of resistances to choose from.

Fire make sense. Why sonic?

I would like to change fiendish resilience as well but i couldnt think of a celestialish ability to replace it.

Celestial Resistance? Same ability, just fluff.

3- What invocations should i add/remove/change? (feel free to create new invocations)

I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, but I would say just renaming the ones that have obvious infernal names to something more celestrial.

Also, you do realize a warlock can be CG, right?

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-24, 02:11 PM
Just to add to the discussion, you do realize that because the eldrich blast isn't weapon damage, its not affected by DR. And I would second renaming/flavoring the abilities. Most could work as a good themed one with a simple name change(holy favor=dark one's luck), though a few would require changing what the ability looked like(angelic wings instead of bat wings for fiendish flight).

boomwolf
2008-04-24, 02:25 PM
The entire warlock class is built around the demon-power ideal, I don't think turning it celestial would work well.

You CAN however be a good warlock, having the "Fight fire with fire" motto.

Kizara
2008-04-24, 03:06 PM
Complete Mage has some good support for celestial warlocks, you should have a look there.

Also, I might suggest the following houserules for the class, to make it suck a bit less in general:

Warlock:
-Remove alignment restrictions. Alignment instead based on flavor and background.
-Gain 1 more Invocation known per level, thus granting 6 Invocations known at level 8.
-Gain Speak Language (type of heritage creatures).

Fostire
2008-04-24, 04:25 PM
Since a normal warlock's EB isn't alignment-aligned, that would give your warlock an advantage over a standard. Esp since there are creatures that have DR/good.
Since EB isnt weapon damage (as MeklorIlavator said) theres no advantage on DR.
Are there any other advantages on making the EB good aligned?

That would actually give you a disadvantage since a +1 blade can overcome DR/magic.
A +0 cold iron weapon would overcome DR/cold iron, on lower levels this really depends on which is rarer to find, a cold iron weapon or a +1 weapon. At later levels i might be at a disadvantage as magic weapons will be less rare.
What could i change to balance this disadvantage? Since celestials get DR/magic i would rather keep it.

Fire make sense. Why sonic?
Celestials get resistance to cold, electricity, and acid, not fire or sonic.

Celestial Resistance? Same ability, just fluff.
What i had in mind was to change the abilities not just the fluff. But fast healing isnt really anticelestial so i guess a refluff would do just fine
But still if anyone thinks of an ability more fitting that would be nice.

I don't have the book in front of me at the moment, but I would say just renaming the ones that have obvious infernal names to something more celestrial.

Also, you do realize a warlock can be CG, right?
Yeah i know. Actually this warlock is LE, and i thought it might be fun if i gave him a celestial source of power, so his background is that he used to be good but for some reason got amnesia, and ever since, he lived in a church of an evil god. Living there made him shift towards evil.

Paper_Bard
2008-04-24, 05:04 PM
Woh...woh..woh...

Hold the phone.

You want to make a celestiel warlock, not to be able to play a bastion of good instead of an anti-hero, but so you can mess it up on the other end?

So you want instead of a good warlock with evil powers, an evil warlock with good powers? Why does everyone (and campaign setting) seek to mess with the laws of nature!

Curse you!

LOL!

Just joking, its your character do what you want. It's jsut kind of weird. Sometimes its fun to play a normal character... ya know?

MeklorIlavator
2008-04-24, 06:03 PM
The entire warlock class is built around the demon-power ideal, I don't think turning it celestial would work well.

You CAN however be a good warlock, having the "Fight fire with fire" motto.

Actually, the Complete Mage has several different backgrounds for warlock, including(but not limited to) Demon, Devil, fey, and celestial. Plus, you depending on the dm, you can have very different powers. I've heard of one played as a ninja(EB=shurikans), and I know I've talked about making a warforged one who used components/gadgets to do everything. in a word, Iron MAn.