PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] Everything you can do, I can copy.

boomwolf
2008-04-24, 03:52 PM
Replicator

"Every once in a while somebody thinks he is special, I am here to mark his mistake. and make sure he never repeats it." -Nameless Replicator.

A replicator is a person who thinks study and practice are useless, he can jset watch others and copy what they do, and the worse part is it actually works for him. he memorizes anything he sees, hoping it might help someday, but he does not study for it, jest watch, and know.

Becoming a Replicator:

To become a replicator one needs to have extraordinary memory, and know how to act as others, after all thats all you ever do. anyone who has a mortal foe that is a spellcaster might want to become a replicator, same goes for anyone who wants to learn magic without real study.
A spy or an agent often choose to become a replicator to have a better chance at pretending to be someone else, and a fighter might want it for the ability to see enemy magic, when a group lacks a caster often one with strong memory might come out and start copying enemy casters.
The need for many skillpoints makes it hard for some to become a replicator, making them relatively rare.

Requirements:
Skills: Memory (see below) 8 ranks, Disguise 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks, any 3 knowledge skills 4 ranks.
Feats: Skill focus (memory), Able Learner.

Replicator
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Memorize Spell|4|2|0|-|-|-|-

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Spell Eye|4|3|1|-|-|-|-

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Predict Manuvers +1|4|3|2|0|-|-|-

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Flashback 1/day|4|4|3|1|-|-|-

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Repeat|4|4|3|2|0|-|-

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|Predict Manuvers +2|4|4|4|3|1|-|-

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|Duplicate Strike|4|4|4|4|2|0|-

8th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+6|Flashback 2/day|4|4|4|4|3|1|-

9th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+6|Predict Manuvers +3|4|4|4|4|4|2|0

10th|
+7|
+3|
+3|
+7|Perfect Replication|4|4|4|4|4|3|1[/table]

Spells:
A Replicator casts arcane spells which are drawn from the his Memorize Spell ability. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).

To learn or cast a spell, a replicator must have a wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a replicator's spell is 10 + the spell level + the replicator's Wisdom modifier. The replicator gains bonus spells for day based on his Wisdom score.

The replicator cannot metamagic a spell normally, he can only cast a metamagic version if he has it memorized.
The caster level for these spells is double your replicator class level.

Memorize Spell
Whenever a replicator sees a spell being cast he may attempt to memorize it with a memory check of DC of 10+triple the spell level, if he succeed the spell his add to his replicator known spell list, including any metamagic it had on.

Spell Eye (Ex)
Starting from second level, whenever a replicator sees a spell being cast, if that spell is in his known spell list he knows what spell is being cast, if he knows another variation only (different set of metamagic) he knows its a variation of the same spell, but don't know what metamagic is on it.

Predict Manuvers (Ex)
A replicator excels at defeating former foes once more, At third level he gains +1 to AC, attack rolls and damage rolls against any opponent that he has defeated before, as well as such a bonus to all saving throws to spells he cast. at sixth level the bonus improves to +2 and in ninth to +3.

Flashback (Ex)
A forth level replicator may flashback once per day as a swift action, remembering any event of his past with perfect accuracy of any little detail, even ones he did not notice or disregarded before. at eight level he may do so twice a day.

Repeat (Ex)
A fifth level replicator learns how to copy other's actions perfectly, whenever he watches another successfully preforms any skill-check with Str, Dex, or Con he may attempt it himself and automatically succeed withing ten rounds of that action. The repeated action must be exactly the same to work. (climbing the same stop, jumping from the same place to the same place, etc.)

Duplicate Strike (Su)
A seventh level replicator gains the ability to create a replica of any weapon that he touched in the last ten rounds. while this is clearly an illusion it deals damage normally and has all special abilities of the original weapon. Using this ability is a move or standard action, the duplicated weapon lasts for ten rounds or one round after it left the replicator's hand, whatever comes first.

Perfect Replication (Su)
Perfect replication is the replicator's ultimate ability, once per day a replicator may make a touch attack against any target, if he hit the target and the target fails a will save DC 15+replicator class level. is added to the replicator's form bank, a form bank can hold only 1 form for every five duplicator levels, if the target changes after the attack (changes equipment, gains a level, dies, etc.) it does not change the form stored.
As a full round action a replicator may become a full copy any form in his form bank, the only difference is that he has the ability to transform back as a full-round action. if the replicator goes unconscious or asleep he is instantly transformed back.
Perfect replication has the following limitations:
-It cannot copy consumable items worth more then 5gp each, and no porm of currency can be copied. (cash, gems, etc.)
-Any object that you do not keep on you disappears in 1 round.
-It cannot copy items with total worth more then your own true level's standard wealth by level.
-It does not copy any temporary effects (such as buffs, healable wounds, curses, etc.

In any case that the form contains uncopyable things from any catagory, remove them until it becomes copyable.

Memory [Wis]:
Memory uses mainly to gain bonuses to other skill checks based on past events.
Add memory to the skill list of any spellcaster that memorizes spells and well as any class with two or more knowledge class skills.

Check:
You remember something you should not have normally, this allows for doing something you done before with grater ease, or know something you thought you didn't.

{table=head]Task|DC
Memorize a text|10+1/ten words
Remember details you haven't notice before|10+spot DC for that detail
Recognize a spell you saw being cast before|10+tree times the spell level
Recognize a person you have seen before (includes people you haven't interacted with)|10+1/month
Redo an skill check succeeded in past|DC half the original DC, must be identical like "Repeat" ability of the replicator, this is in addition to the normal roll, if at least one succeed it counts as success.[/table]

Try Again
No, either you remember or you don't.

Synergy
Disguise checks to pretend to be a person you know.
Dimplomany, Bluff, and Intimindate people you have successful done so before.
Any knowledge skill you have 4 or more ranks in.

StoryKeeper
2008-04-24, 04:01 PM
Anyone else find it funny that you accidentally posted it twice? Or was that intended?

boomwolf
2008-04-24, 04:09 PM
Lol. nice.

It gave me a "page cannot be displayed" so I sent again. why I be damned.

Fostire
2008-04-24, 04:44 PM
I like it, lots of spelling errors, but still i like it.

one question: In the perfect replication ability it says that you can store 1 form every five replicator levels, is that replicator levels or character levels? cause if it really is replicator levels there is no need to add the every five levels part as you get this ability at level 10, just put 2 forms.

EDIT: Just remembered that you can continue advancing prestige classes at epic levels

Jack_Simth
2008-04-24, 04:44 PM
A couple of notes....

Editing:
1) Memorize Spell: The ability doesn't specify what type of check, just the DC. I'd presume it's "Memory", but it's not listed, and someone could just as easily assume it's spellcraft.
2) Perfect Replication: Unless you're including an Epic progression, it's pointless to say one form per five replicator levels - the answer will always be 2, as it's a tenth level ability in a ten level PrC.
3) Spellcasting: So... at 1st level, he has the potential to cast a second level spell at caster level 1? Really handy for when you want to make healing potions. You might want to list exactly what his caster level is, here.

Balance:
1) Spellcasting isn't bad - it requires you to be 5th level to qualify, and only goes up to 5th level spells (actually, it looks like you just copied the Chameleon's spells per day). The limitless spells known could be an issue, but as you're always at least one full spell level behind, and it's a fairly tough check, that's not too much hassle.
2) Perfect Replication: This is broken as all get-out. Easy way to demonstrate:
On a day off, put all party wealth (especially consumable equipment) on one party member. Ideally, one that has a lot of power available (such as a Cleric, Druid, or Wizard). Make certain said party member has all of their spells prepared, in a nice combat stance. Memorize form, then redistribute equipment. In a tough encounter, become that party member. In one full-round action, you're now a very tough character, buffed to the gills, with all the party's equipment. And, as no duration is specified, it lasts until dismissed (or you're defeated, whichever). You can:
A) Use consumable items at whim (they're temporary anyway). Get one scroll of Wish, and you can use it every single day from then on forth. 25k in mundane wealth each day, free of (further)charge. Get a few more (you should be able to afford it in fairly short order) and everyone in the party (except you, except when you're in an alternate form) now has a +5 Inherent bonus to every stat. Plus money to burn.
B) Cast as well as the best caster in the group.
C) Have 30 rounds worth of buff casting on you (many with durations in rounds/level) in a single turn, once/day.
D) Have the form of someone who is much stronger than you are just for shaking their hand once. A 15th level character who shakes hands with a 30th level Epic character, suddenly being able to cast Epic spells (extreme case, but still...)?
E) Sell the temporary items, and buy stuff with the temporary cash, then high-tail it out of town with the real items you purchased with the fake money and items. Oh yeah - and as you grabbed someone else's face for doing this, the heat's not on you.

I'm sure someone could munchkin that ability a lot better than I could.

boomwolf
2008-04-24, 04:51 PM
Edit:

1-right, need to fix, it is memory.
2-I am assuming people might want epic progress, and this allows them to.
3-The spell progression is a copy of the official chamilion PrC found on pace ~110 at RoD, should add caster level though.

Balance:
1-Yep, as said, the same. but it goes up to 6 (you misclicked?)
2-Right...probably should make a limit to the equipment you can copy.

Fostire
2008-04-24, 05:00 PM
2-Right...probably should make a limit to the equipment you can copy.

And skill, maybe you can make it that you can copy up to your character level. And up to your WBL for equipment.
But still there is the problem of the infinte scrolls of wish. You could fix this by making it so that after assuming a form that form is erased from your form bank. But even with this you can still have a companion get the scroll and copy him again each day. So i guess its not fixed :smallfrown:

boomwolf
2008-04-24, 05:04 PM
Spartaned you on the wealth for level thing, but I added a will save to counter the easy-transform, high-level characthers have a good shot at resisting it (really high auto-make it, unless you use feats that increase supernaturall ability save DC. these is something that does it right?)

Collin152
2008-04-24, 05:38 PM
I'd have used Perform (Acting) as part of the requirements, but that's just me.

boomwolf
2008-04-25, 04:48 AM
Might be a good idea, but I'm not sure. lots of skillpoint are needed already.

But how about the balance level of everything else? I heard only about 1 thing that is broken (and got fixed) and thats it.

leperkhaun
2008-04-25, 05:44 AM
Perfect Replication (Su)
Perfect replication is the replicator's ultimate ability, once per day a replicator may make a touch attack against any target, if he hit the target and the target fails a will save DC 15+replicator class level. is added to the replicator's form bank, a form bank can hold only 1 form for every five duplicator levels, if the target changes after the attack (changes equipment, gains a level, dies, etc.) it does not change the form stored.
As a full round action a replicator may become a full copy any form in his form bank, the only difference is that he has the ability to transform back as a full-round action. if the replicator goes unconscious or asleep he is instantly transformed back.
Perfect replication has the following limitations:
-It cannot copy consumable items worth more then 5gp each, and no porm of currency can be copied. (cash, gems, etc.)
-Any object that you do not keep on you disappears in 1 round.
-It cannot copy items with total worth more then your own true level's standard wealth by level.
-It does not copy any temporary effects (such as buffs, healable wounds, curses, etc.

In any case that the form contains uncopyable things from any catagory, remove them until it becomes copyable

way too powerfull. Have your high level wizard prepare all timestops and highly metamagiced high level spells. Copy said wizard. Next day before you go out adventureing, the wizard prepares his normal spells......

high level cleric does the same thing but with shapechange and heals (and DMM/nightstick)......

Its obviously broken. You gained the ablility to get FULL spell casting from two different sources and you can use both, as well as your spells.........

Then you do something like have your wizard go into a magic store.....hold about 10 different staffs of great super power......copy said wizard, wizard puts stuff back.

You buy a belt of battle, let the wizard wear it, let the cleric wear it. You now have 3 belts of battle to use.

buy a sword of 3 wishes....give to wizard, give to cleric....etc (6 FREE wishes everyday).

So a couple things, you do not gain any items upon said transformation. Instead of gaining the others' stats you, if your stats are lower you get a bonus to your stat equal to thier UNAUGMENTED stat BONUS.

You need to limit the spell casting somehow...otherwize you will end up with a character who can play as 3 classes and go nuke on every single encounter.

You need to limit the classes spell casting.

I would recommend using the bardic table. They can only know the spells known as in the chart, otherwise they have to change out the spells.

the other thing is that you will be able to mix and match spells from different lists and that will get very very powerfull even with just 6th level spells.

boomwolf
2008-04-25, 07:26 AM
There is a limit to the equipment you can copy, up to your own level's WBL, so you can't do the staff trick.

You have 3 belts? you are not all forms at once, you are one of the three, once you change away they will disappear, and you can't use multiples anyway, nor can you give them to others.

While you are right about the casting problems, you noted many "brakes" that are clearly forbidden, and you cannot do even with cheese, and the abiilty forbids it outright. (as the wishes as a sort of a consumable, they cannot be copied.)

Lets see whys to limit power...
1-Limit spells to only what you memorized before? so becoming a copy does not mean full casting ability unless you watch him alot, and make good memory rolls (DC 37 to memorize a ninth level spell...not too hard, not too easy.)

2-Limit the max spell level? (To 6th? as thats the highest you normally cast.)

3-Add drawbacks? donno what drawbacks would fit in.

leperkhaun
2008-04-25, 08:44 AM
There is a limit to the equipment you can copy, up to your own level's WBL, so you can't do the staff trick.

You have 3 belts? you are not all forms at once, you are one of the three, once you change away they will disappear, and you can't use multiples anyway, nor can you give them to others.

While you are right about the casting problems, you noted many "brakes" that are clearly forbidden, and you cannot do even with cheese, and the abiilty forbids it outright. (as the wishes as a sort of a consumable, they cannot be copied.)

Lets see whys to limit power...
1-Limit spells to only what you memorized before? so becoming a copy does not mean full casting ability unless you watch him alot, and make good memory rolls (DC 37 to memorize a ninth level spell...not too hard, not too easy.)

2-Limit the max spell level? (To 6th? as thats the highest you normally cast.)

3-Add drawbacks? donno what drawbacks would fit in.

Belt thing.... Sure you cant use all 3 at once, but for the price of 1 belt, you can use it each time you shift forms. So, go cleric, use belt nuke, next fight, use your belt, nuke, next fight go wizard, use belt nuke..... see what i mean.

wands and staves are out. However things like Eternal wands and per/day use items are still in.

Its too easily abusable.

Also with the luck blade. Its not a consumable, and as long as you never use the original you can use 6 wishes a day.

So something like, magic items with charges or that are not per/day cannot be used. this would prevent the previously mentioned wish abuse, but it still allows belt of battle abuse.

For the spells, the ability to gain a spell book of every known spell in both divine and arcane casting in the game of 6th and lower level........

Something like this...

Lets say you can cast 5 4th level spells a day, you can only know 3 4th level spells a day. You can memorize any 3 4th level spells you want, BUT you can only memorize 3 of them. If you get rid of a spell, Even if you had previously memorized the spell, you cannot memorize it again unless you see it cast again.

Limites to spells

1) A DC 37 is easy to break, at 17 you have 20 ranks. starting with a 16 base stat gives you a 19 stat at 17, a +6 item nets you a 25 in the stat, a +5 tome gives you a 30 in the stat. Skill Focus adds +2.

So you have a total skill check of 32 (20 ranks, +10 stat, +2 focus)...a roll above 4 lets you memorize a 9th level spell at the first level you can cast them.

2)6th level spells can be powerfull, however what makes it more powerfull is that you can get spells from every spell list in the game......

leperkhaun
2008-04-25, 09:13 AM
hmmm. Rereading my posts it seems like im bieng a ableep. not my intention.

Its just that the PrC if ever used gives way too much and asks for almost nothing in return.

It basically allows you to be 3 different classes, with 3 different sets of equipment (each one for each class, and at full WBL). The main thing about it is that it makes the other classes subpar for anything other than a template to copy. The main reason is that while those classes have to save spells/ daily uses...etc this class doesnt because he has another 2 classes in reserve.

The point i think im trying to make is that 1) Its highly and easily super abusable 2) It renders 2 other players characters as nothing more than a template.

Tectorman
2008-04-25, 09:25 AM
Creating a new skill is cool, but wouldn't the Autohypnosis skill cover this anyway?

boomwolf
2008-04-25, 02:11 PM
Autohypnosis is completely off-the-chart as it comes to memorizing texts, but Memory also allows other uses. (actually its really broken in any of it's uses. its the only skill I know that single-handedly allows you to cheese.)
I mean, even a 1st level commoner with high wisdom has a good chance to memorize 800 words? that does not make sense. memorizing hundreds of words is HARD.
Not to mention ignoring the effects of dying that is also in the limits of a 1st level commoner, or ignoring poison.
I punish people hard on abusing that skill. really hard.

In any case, I have a fix idea: each form has limited time per day, this way you cannot really make everyone useless, you must choose WHEN to take their form, so in the full-day run, they suppress you. this way you can't use them as "second character",only about for encounter a day. or not even that if your group has less but longer battles.
Would that work well?

I don't see how copying 6th level spells with no possible metamagic after the copy being too good, if nobody casted a broken spell in your sight you can never get one. and If your group already has a cheesy spellcaster then the replicator could have made the same build, either you take or ban cheese, whatever you do expect all players and the DM to follow the same rule.
Its not as open as it looks-you need to first of all see somebody else cast the spell, and manage the memory check. if nobody casted the spell IN YOUR SIGHT, you will never have it. easy for DM to keep away strange sharingans.

Something that needs the help of another character to become cheesy, and then becomes exactly as cheesy is not bad. as long nobody cheese, you won't cheese either, its part of the fun in this class, if you cheat, I cheat too.

Also, charges=consumable. consumables is everything that has limited uses, not things you eat. (they are also consumable with 1 use.)
Sword of luck=(partly) consumable, therefor cannot be copied.
Staff, by DM choice can be considered consumable (that regenerates, but still consumable.)

Mind telling me what is a belt of power anyway that is so abusable? not everyone memorized all wonder items from every book. :P

pseudovere
2008-04-26, 06:42 PM
Okay, just so you know how horribly broken perfect replication is, even without anything anyone has pointed out before:

You can gain the ability to use perfect form at lvl 15 with dc25.

The Tarrasque has a +20 to will saves, giving it a 25% chance of being hit each time.

I don't think that I need to explain any further.

leperkhaun
2008-04-27, 08:26 AM
Limited uses per day still doesnt help. All that means is that they will use all 15-20 levels worth of spells all in 1 or two encounters. So all those gates, shapechanges...etc are all bieng use in a couple encounters instead of bieng used with caution because there might be more fights.

For the first 3 fights im going to use my wizard form to blast away.
For fights 4-6 im going to use my druid form to blast away.
for fights 7-9 im going to use my normal form to blast away.

The major problem with the whole, only if you see the spell bieng cast, thing is when its bieng used with above.

First - If you travel with a wizard.... YOu can cast every single one of his spells from his spellbook thats 6th level or lower + all of those with metamagic feats if the wizard has any.

Cleric/druid/pally/ranger - You can cast EVERY single divine spell of 6th level and lower if you travel with one of those. THen if they have meta magic.....

For the broken spells.....all you have to do is go to a big city, take some of that WBL that you wont use (because you get someone elses WBL when you shift for combat), and pay them to cast the spell.

Ok anything with charges are out, you will want to get rid of staves also, because the staff of life, dont use it, give it to your two templates, thats 100 free HEAL spells a day.

Belt of battle - 3 charges/day (recharges everyday), Spend a charge to get an action. I THINK its 1 charge move action, 2 charges standard action, 3 charges full round action. Or something like that.

The problem with the class is that you dont need to cheese, fulling copying another 2 critters is alreay broken enough.

Heaven forbid someone dominates a red dragon somehow and tells it to fail your save.... or a balor...or a pit fiend...or a solar....or a god...or an epic character....or a titan

Edit: Actually, here is a broken example. Copy wizard, cast gate for some 40HD epic dragon. Command dragon to fail save, dragon fails the save, you have just copied a 40HD epic dragon.

do the same thing with an efferent, now you get free wishes without an item.