PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights

Inhuman Bot
2008-04-24, 04:30 PM
Hello, all. I'am looking for a good rpg, and I then thought of NwN II. So is it any good? I liked the first one, even if the start was kind of boring. Also if anyone wants to discuss nwn, discuss away.

warty goblin
2008-04-24, 05:03 PM
Hello, all. I'am looking for a good rpg, and I then thought of NwN II. So is it any good? I liked the first one, even if the start was kind of boring. Also if anyone wants to discuss nwn, discuss away.

I found it decently enjoyable, the gameplay was generally reasonably good, and the story felt directed while still offering substantial choices. Voice acting is even pretty decent.

There are however a few downsides:
1) The game engine is an unoptimized piece of crap. My PC can run Crysis on semi-medium settings (low textures, high physics and medium shaders) and get consistantly high framerates. Even Unreal III engine games get decent framerates and effects. Playing NWN II it has the fluidity of mud, although some of this was exacerbated by the:

2) Horrible infernal camera. Expect to spend you first half hour of game time pretty much just getting the camera settings to be somewhat bearable. Not great, or good, or even decent, because that simply will not happen. Really, why this game didn't have an RTS style camera is beyond me, because it would have made things so much easier than the quasi third person shooter/Diablo one it has. It's not to big a deal until you start having to manage more than one character though, since it at least manages to stay centered. My major complaint was that it didn't start rotating the camera until you had dragged the mouse all the way off the screen, but then had an angular velocity of something like 8000 degrees per second, so even the slightest touch would send it spinning way the hell and gone over, when all you wanted was to change the view by enough to see what your party member was doing, because he was being controlled by the:

3) Idiot AI. The companion AI is really, really, bad. Expect them to do stupid things like chase a single enemy way the hell and gone across the dungeon without any prompting from you, while your main character is being molested by a pack of skeletons (insert boner joke here). This can be really terrible sometimes, when you are clearing a room and three of your characters will be fighting relatively sensibly, and the fourth will charge off through a door to fight an enemy you couldn't even see way down the hallway, which of course brings every enemy in the dungeon down on you like a sack of bat guano. Expect wizards to use fireballs to kill off enemies with three hitpoints left and while they are surrounded by half of your party. I think of combat as less about being part of a party, and more as managing a bunch of inexplicably talented killers with less survival instinct than a rabid wolverine on speed trying to take on a Tiger Tank. Thankfully most of the combat is easy enough that this isn't too much of a problem. Word to the wise, save often though, because there are autosave points, but they are the nasty kind. You know, where you see the words "auto-saving" once, and then assume the game saves every time you enter a new zone, when really it only does it once every third time or when the moon is full but it's not Tuesday. The only function of this is to trick you into thinking that the game autosaves in a useful manner, so you get to replay portions of it, thus extending your enjoyment of the product.

4) Lastly, I hope you don't mind loading screens, because in classic RPG fashion, the developers seem to have confused watching a progress bar at the bottom of the screen with character depth. Yep, it's one of those games where even the loading screens seem to have loading screens.

Don't get me wrong, the game is great and has good depth, and I've had a lot of fun with it, once I learned to pause the game frequently so as to better babysit my small horde of murderous sociopaths and be able to get the camera facing the right direction.

Danin
2008-04-24, 07:12 PM
I greatly enjoyed NWN2 until the point it stopped working. The AI just completely bugged out, they wouldn't do anything unless ordered to. Anything. They would sit and get stabbed to death, didn't follow me and had to be ordered one by one. Even after reinstalling the game I had the same problem and it always happened at the exact same point (Midway through driving the Orcs out of the mountains). Everything other than that, the terrible camera angles and the seemingly suicidal NPCs was great.

I must say, my diplomancing ranger / duelist rocked, I avoided half the battles.

Driderman
2008-04-24, 07:24 PM
I was pleasantly surprised. I recommend it. Not nearly as bad as it's made out to be, although no great wonder of gaming.

Mx.Silver
2008-04-24, 07:47 PM
I was pleasantly surprised. I recommend it. Not nearly as bad as it's made out to be, although no great wonder of gaming.

Given that the game's own official forum is seemingly united in proclaiming it as a creation Satan himself would consider too horrible to look upon, that isn't much of an achievement. Personally, I rather like it. It's one of those games that had the potential to be really good but was held-back by technical flaws (the camera is evil; pure unadulterated evil). I did find it a far more entertaining single-player game than the sorry excuse for a campaign that came with NWN1 though.
Oh yeah, and unless you're like me and micromanage everything with puppet mode you're probably going to be dying a fair bit.

TehJhu
2008-04-24, 07:52 PM
This game made me realize I like pain, because I was incredibly frustrated that if your party members "died" they just got "knocked out" and then woke up feeling better after the fight was over. Also, spells like fireball didn't do damage to friendly characters, so you could hurl them at leisure. Also the 5 second rest for full HP and spells sort of aggrivated me too.

Why is it that game developers can't stand the idea of making a D&D game play like D&D?

warty goblin
2008-04-24, 08:17 PM
This game made me realize I like pain, because I was incredibly frustrated that if your party members "died" they just got "knocked out" and then woke up feeling better after the fight was over. Also, spells like fireball didn't do damage to friendly characters, so you could hurl them at leisure. Also the 5 second rest for full HP and spells sort of aggrivated me too.

Why is it that game developers can't stand the idea of making a D&D game play like D&D?

I'd love a D&D game that played like D&D, the only thing is that if they did that, they'd need to not have a camera exiled from every single layer of the Abyss for being, in the words of the visably shaken demon Veldrizul the Skull-Juicer, "just plain wrong. Like seriously, I mean I'll sacrifice the population of an entire village over the course of three agonizing, blood soaked weeks in ways described by many as 'horiffically, mezmerizingly and often hilariously inventive' but that camera...". Particularly if they kept it real time, since heaven knows I spent about twice as much time trying to be looking at the damned fight than actually issuing orders. Also, AI who actually wanted to survive would be helpful as well, although that can be delt with by careful micro.

@ Danin, did you check that the AI didn't get set to puppet mode? I know in that mode they don't do anything unless ordered, so it could just be a 'minor' bug that for some reason flips them over to that state. I think the toggle box is somewhere in the 'options' menu.

Mx.Silver
2008-04-24, 08:35 PM

Actually, if you up the difficulty slightly (to the 'core' level)AoE spells will start damaging you guys as well. Most of the other changes are to do with the small point that the Rules of D&D are designed for a slow-paced multi-player dice game, not for a computer game. Changes have to be made and liberties have to be taken to get a decent gaming experience (personally, I still don't think they've made enough, which is why I'm feeling optimistic abut Dragon Age). The KO thing is there because nobody likes having to re-load their saves repeatedly just because your enemy keeps getting lucky with a sneak attack. If you want to play something that follows the D&D rules closely, get some friends 'round and play D&D.

EvilElitest
2008-04-24, 08:37 PM
WG is a genius and should design all future video games.

ALso i think BG is much closer to real D&D (at least 2E) than most games
from
EE

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-04-24, 09:48 PM
Who is WG?

EvilElitest
2008-04-24, 10:00 PM
Who is WG?

Warty Goblin
from
EE

poleboy
2008-04-25, 03:45 AM

Because playing a game of D&D with a calculator as your DM is not a lot of fun.

Inhuman Bot
2008-04-25, 11:05 AM
Quick question: what is the approximate level of charcter in the last chapeter of all the games?

tyckspoon
2008-04-25, 12:10 PM
Quick question: what is the approximate level of charcter in the last chapeter of all the games?

Usually the 18-20 range if you've been taking every opportunity to get xp (sidequests, sweeping dungeons completely, etc.) If you import the same character to expansions, you *will* be getting into Epicness. Some of them expect it, too- IIRC Mask of the Betrayer (NWN2's expansion) sets your level to 18 if you weren't already there or higher.

DeathQuaker
2008-04-25, 01:07 PM

It is overall a very fun game, but make sure you do the following:

1. Make sure your comp exceeds the minimum requirements on at least your video card and RAM, if nothing else (but I'll note mine barely meets recommended reqs and it's fine).

2. Get the expansion pack "Mask of the Betrayer." The OC is decent (and you'll still want to play it through first), but MotB blows it out of the water. Personally, it's one of my top favorites, near BG2 and Planescape: Torment.

3. Make sure you download and install the latest patch available to the game. The game on release played as warty goblin describes, but since the EP and the patches, it plays fine.

4. Make sure you note how to access your party members' AI controls from their character sheets, so you can alter them as you see fit. Ever since they included TonyK's companion AI several patches back, it's good, but you need to adjust it to the way you like (some people like different settings, so they leave it up to you). And if in doubt, just set everyone to "Puppet Mode" and just command them all yourself.

5. Make sure you note how to access camera controls from the options pages. The camera is dramatically fixed from what it was on release, but it still can be a little awkward, but you can tweak it pretty well to your own liking well enough. Personally I prefer Strategic cam, centered on main character, and set the camera to rotate on keystrokes rather than mouse, and it works great for me (but may not be what others prefer, mind).

Lorn
2008-04-25, 03:20 PM
Those people who were complaining about the camera angles - try hitting the * key on the number pad. And using x+drag to move the camera.

Helps no end :smallwink:

Valairn
2008-04-30, 01:38 PM
You can actually edit the ruleset that NWN2 uses in the game menu, you can make it play more like "regular" DnD. Also I think you can have the game pause at the end of every turn. The default settings are just there for the "general market."

NWN2 OC is a decent campaign, it has a few shining moments in it and it also has some a nice scale, going from help the farmboy find a chicken type quests, all the way to save the nation/world from the BBEG, in a relatively understandable and solid story line.

NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer is by far one of my favorite video game campaigns I've played in a long long time. The story is amazing, the characters are appropriate, the scale of the fight and how your actions actually genuinely affect the ending is pretty nice too. I did have a minor complaint...

I really wish I could have kicked Kelemvor's ass and tore down that stupid Wall of the Faithless brick by brick.

But ignoring that, I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign, and would play it again, which is a big thing for me, since normally playing a story once is enough for me.

Athaniar
2008-04-30, 02:23 PM
Meh. While some new upgrades were cool (advanced character creation, to name... eh, the only one I can come up with), some (most) were not that good. The toolset, for instance, is NOT nearly as easy to use as the one from the original. You'll have to be a computer programmer to get that thing to work properly, if it's even possible. And the story is weird. Not nearly as useless as the KotOR2 story, but still (Obsidian, stop ruining all Bioware sequels!) too useless. The companions have (at least somewhat) interesting personalities (but not too interesting for me to remember any details), but why can't you put helmets on them? Something I did wrong? And on top of that, they removed the genius inventory system from the original! Heresy! And why do characters have their clothes welded to their bodies? They can at least show underwear! They can at least show some bare skin, for cryin' out loud!

What is worst was probably their pre-release campaign. I'm sure I'm not the only one to think that.

Mx.Silver
2008-04-30, 03:17 PM
What is worst was probably their pre-release campaign. I'm sure I'm not the only one to think that.
Not the only, but probably not in the majority either. While it may not be a brilliant it's a lot better than what we had with NWN1, until they released Shadows of Undrentide anyway (and you know a pre-release campaign is bad when the developers release a expansion pack designed mainly to replace it).

Yeah the official campaign had issues, like a lack of character depth and a rather slow first act (the amount of crap you have to go through just to get into Blacklake is unbelievable) plus the problems inherent with trying to write a storyline that'll give your weak, just-starting-out character a decent motivation when there are umpteen possible combinations for said character. Still, it wasn't bad and there were several good moments that really stand-out (like the trial).

Athaniar
2008-04-30, 04:08 PM
Wasn't bad? Did you have to experience all that wait on their official site just to be able to download that toolset, which wasn't nearly as good as the hype stated? They released it not long before the game itself, I may tell you!

Flickerdart
2008-04-30, 04:31 PM
My only qualm with NWN2 was the lack of Batman spells like Fly or Teleport. Seriously.

Oh, and don't forget Neeshka's total uselessness while doing anything, and the fact that you'll be playing a party made up of yourself and 3 casters in Mask of the Betrayer, which is stupid since the new casting classes are really quite nice.

There are huge amounts of mods for the game that do indeed make spells work like their D&D equivalents, and then the difficulty ramp-up. If you want 100% accuracy, Temple of Elemental Evil is as close as you can get, though it's buggy as hell.

I've had a few errors where some characters would stop following, but a "Follow Me!" command corrected that. Oh, and one time Khelgar decided to disappear, which was annoying since I was playing a Rogue/Invisible Blade, and a party of two Rogues and a Druid cannot tank a map full of bandit wizards and fighters.

Mando Knight
2008-04-30, 10:55 PM
a map full of bandit wizards and fighters.

Which map is that? All I run into are bandit rogues and wizards/sorcerers. Blasted nasty full flanking + Sneak Attack + Evasion...

Also, I dislike almost as much the fact that spells have maybe half or less range than stated (the RAW range...) so everything is far less useful...

Mx.Silver
2008-05-01, 06:12 AM
Oh, and don't forget Neeshka's total uselessness while doing anything, and the fact that you'll be playing a party made up of yourself and 3 casters in Mask of the Betrayer, which is stupid since the new casting classes are really quite nice..
I never had any problems with Neeshka (until the end of the campaign anyway but that's another story). You'll be using the 3 casters in the later half of Act 1 in MotB, after that it's pretty easy to swap one for Okku or One of Many, neither of whom are spell-casters (although it is possible to make One of Many a warlock later in the game).

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-01, 08:46 AM
I would say that Neeshka is useful except in one instance: The Graveyard level. Whose's bright idea was it to make a Graveyard one of the first dungeons, and to give you a rogue companion right befor that? It pretty much means that if you make a rogue, the first part of the game takes forever, as you constantly have to retreat, heal up, then go back in. I gave up and made a monk.

Also, is it just me or are monks actually decent in this game? Talk about not faithful to the source materials. Not thatI'm complaining.:smallwink:

Of course, I haven't gotten to the end yet. I'm just about to become a "knight" so as to evade Luskan. Right be for ethe trial.

captainkubrik
2008-05-01, 09:13 AM
Also, is it just me or are monks actually decent in this game? Talk about not faithful to the source materials. Not that I'm complaining.:smallwink:

Monks are OK. If you really want to kill things close up, go Fighter 8/Weapon Master 7 and whatever else you want from there (I chose the NWN PrC). 120+ damage crits for 1 of every 4 hits. Yeah, there are some enemies towards the end of the game that aren't vulnerable to crits, but for most of the enemies, this is how you'll clean house.

tyckspoon
2008-05-01, 11:19 AM
I would say that Neeshka is useful except in one instance: The Graveyard level. Whose's bright idea was it to make a Graveyard one of the first dungeons, and to give you a rogue companion right befor that? It pretty much means that if you make a rogue, the first part of the game takes forever, as you constantly have to retreat, heal up, then go back in. I gave up and made a monk.

There's a couple of easy ways to make that sequence simpler. One is going to the Swamp Cave and getting the weapon from the lizardman chief in there (+1 flaming morningstar); Khelgar can pretty well solo the graveyards with that, or you can give it to yourself or Neeshka so you can do something useful in a fight too. The extra energy damage makes cutting through undead much faster. The other is trying to go to Highcliff early to trigger the Maiden's Glade sequence and recruit the druid. The graveyard and bandit camp are much easier to handle with her around.

Holammer
2008-05-02, 07:18 AM
I've tried playing the game twice now, I always end up uninstalling it around the time I meet up with the Dwarf. Even patched and setup everything to perfection but the game still makes me want to haul it's developers into a rocket and blast it into the sun while I'm shouting disparaging remarks about their parentage.

warty goblin
2008-05-02, 09:14 AM
I've tried playing the game twice now, I always end up uninstalling it around the time I meet up with the Dwarf. Even patched and setup everything to perfection but the game still makes me want to haul it's developers into a rocket and blast it into the sun while I'm shouting disparaging remarks about their parentage.

You know, the game really does get much better after that point. Far less linear and much better characterization. Your party also gets powerful enough to actually be interesting to use in combat as well. I agree, the first bit of the campaign is really annoying, particularly since you are not allowed to kill your moron preachy useless step-father. Damn I hate him.

marthais
2008-05-02, 04:54 PM
I was wondering...would it be considered pointless if I created a Neverwinter nights ITP thread....(first edition)

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-05-02, 06:35 PM
What's ITP mean?

Holammer
2008-05-03, 05:08 AM
What's ITP mean?

After some quick googling, I think it refers to NWN editing. Graphics, maps etc.

Mx.Silver
2008-05-03, 07:07 AM
What's ITP mean?

In The Playground. There's a couple of other games that have ITP threads, like Stracraft.

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-05, 03:49 PM
I heard NWN 2 has a second sequel in the works. Ruins of westgate or something. Anyone know anything about it?

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-10, 12:34 PM
(I hope this isnt a necro post)

So does anyone know if there is any good mods for either of the nwn games or if there is a nwn2/expansion bundle? thanks.

Flickerdart
2008-05-10, 12:41 PM
I'm not sure about any bundles, and I haven't found any good mods (there was one that supposedly fixes the spells to work like D&D tells them to, but it deletes all the descriptions of the spells it "fixes".

Also, Neeshka is a useless jerk that constantly dies (the problem is, Qara is the next to feel the squishy's plight, and I like her better). I'm going through with an Arcane Trickster this time around so I can get rid of both of them and have Casavir, Khelgar and Zhjaeve for my guys. Maybe Grobnar, for the fun of it.

Om
2008-05-10, 12:44 PM
So does anyone know if there is any good mods for either of the nwn games or if there is a nwn2/expansion bundle? thanks.There should be a NWN2 Gold Edition (the original game + Mask of the Betrayer) out this month. Which I'm planning to get at some point

Mx.Silver
2008-05-10, 02:33 PM
(I hope this isnt a necro post)

So does anyone know if there is any good mods for either of the nwn games or if there is a nwn2/expansion bundle? thanks.

There are several good mods out there (considerably more for NWN1, but NWN 2 has a few like Harp and Chrysanthemum). The Bioware forums usually have links to them, or you can go browse for yourself here (http://nwvault.ign.com/).

I heard NWN 2 has a second sequel in the works. Ruins of westgate or something. Anyone know anything about it?
From what I heard it's more a spin-off than a sequel, probably like the Premium Mods for NWN1 were.

Breltar
2008-05-16, 12:01 AM
I believe ruins of westgate is being made by ossian studios and is going to be a free sort of premium module, though dont quote me on that.

If you want to look for good add ons and such, check out neverwinter vault which is an IGN network site that has almost all the downloads you could wish for, like new looks for the crappy weapons etc.

NWN2 isnt as bad now that they have patched the hell out of it, but it was pretty craptacular at first. The persistant world scene for roleplayers (Persistant worlds are sort of on the order of MMORPGs) has increased and there are good times to be had there.

If you get to a point where you group will not follow you any longer, it means the AI for them has had some collision issues and you have to hit the V key and cycle through the voice options to exploration and then select the 'follow me' command. This will make your character yell "Follow me" and force the AI to reset, making them follow you like the dogs they are once more.

I am currently working on a simple Persistant World of my own based off of one I played in NWN1 called Astoria 2. Hopefully I can actually get it finished sometime. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-16, 12:37 AM
Blizzard site says : Next-gen MMO
Through pages of theory and conclusion.
It would either be a sequel/spin-off of NWN 2 or be a starcraft(2/3?) MMO or Diablo MMO.

Mx.Silver
2008-05-16, 01:18 AM
Blizzard site says : Next-gen MMO
Through pages of theory and conclusion.
It would either be a sequel/spin-off of NWN 2 or be a starcraft(2/3?) MMO or Diablo MMO.

Since when have Blizzard been involved with the NWN franchise?

Breltar
2008-05-16, 07:47 AM
Since when have Blizzard been involved with the NWN franchise?

He/she must be confusing Bioware with Blizzard.

What Dallas-dakota I believe is referring to is the new Bioware game that is supposedly going to be an mmo and supposedly is going to be based on their famous KotOR line (knights of the old republic) a game set back around the sith wars, years and years before phantom menace.

Blizzard is making a starcraft mmo though and Games Workshop is supposed to have a deal for a Warhammer 40,000 mmo as well.

Ruins at Westgate is like premium module for NWN2, not a true sequel.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-16, 07:53 AM
He/she must be confusing Bioware with Blizzard.

What Dallas-dakota I believe is referring to is the new Bioware game that is supposedly going to be an mmo and supposedly is going to be based on their famous KotOR line (knights of the old republic) a game set back around the sith wars, years and years before phantom menace.

Blizzard is making a starcraft mmo though and Games Workshop is supposed to have a deal for a Warhammer 40,000 mmo as well.

Breltar is correct, sorry :smallredface:

AlterForm
2008-05-16, 06:41 PM
Dragon Age (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Age), if anyone's wondering.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-05-17, 01:33 PM
I keep hearing rumors about that Planescape Trilogy in development, but it looks like the official site for the developers doesn't work. Westgate looks cool, don't get me wrong, but I'd like to see some more of the Planes too.

Om
2008-05-17, 01:42 PM
I keep hearing rumors about that Planescape Trilogy in development, but it looks like the official site for the developers doesn't work. Westgate looks cool, don't get me wrong, but I'd like to see some more of the Planes too.:smallconfused: The site is up (http://www.roguedao.com/). I've no idea as to the progress they've made but the project seems to be alive still

Mx.Silver
2008-05-17, 01:49 PM
:smallconfused: The site is up (http://www.roguedao.com/). I've no idea as to the progress they've made but the project seems to be alive still

I think they're mostly done modding-in the various different monsters. Things may have progressed further though, as it's been a while since I checked.

Breltar
2008-05-18, 12:15 AM
I found out that a group is making a Baldurs Gate module with the NWN2 toolset that might be interesting. They have a demo on nwvault.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2ModulesEnglish.Detail&id=112

Child Conscript
2008-05-24, 08:28 PM
All I really recommend for you to do is to Update your game as fast as you can
even before you start playing it (makes things run ALOT smoother).

Also don't really worry if your system requirements aren't up to standard. Mine aren't and all I have to do (well for mine anyway) is to start game then windows + D and wait until a little warning comes up saying that this is not the recommended blah blah blah, Press OK then start playing

Also I'd like to say a few things as well
1: Neeshka is useful If you give her the flaming Morning star at the start and is also a good damage scapegoat.

2: I recommend my fav combat class combo Bard/Dragon Disciple or Bard/Ranger/Dragon Disciple for close combat as you get so many stat boosts with Dragon Disciple and Ranger for 2 weapon fighting.

3: Your also forgetting the best thing about NWN2 Getting to be the owner of Crossroad Keep!!

DeathQuaker
2008-05-26, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I think Rogue Dao just got very ambitious with Purgatorio and are trying to get everything working right before they release it. They also "lost" one of their devs to Obsidian (which everyone is happy about) so that slowed up the updates.

As for Ruins of Westgate, it was supposed to be released ages ago--the devs had long finished it--but the release got wrapped up in trying to apply some nonsense copy protection to it, which started causing problems.

One more piece of evidence that publishers are just going the wrong way in their anti-piracy efforts. (Not saying there shouldn't be anti-piracy, but most efforts seem to punish the loyal consumers while the pirates figure out how to hack their stuff anyway.)

NWN2 gameplay-

Neeshka is a little weak at first, but well worth holding onto and training. If you're melee focused, she makes a decent archer, and can sneak attack the guys you're engaging. If you're not, or want another melee combatant, she can be trained into a nastily effective two-weapon fighter. Work with her so she's getting her sneak attack damage in and she can knock stuff down like nothing.

And she has some of the best dialogue in the game, especially in Jerro's Haven.

Breltar
2008-05-28, 04:32 PM
Neeshka is a little weak at first, but well worth holding onto and training. If you're melee focused, she makes a decent archer, and can sneak attack the guys you're engaging. If you're not, or want another melee combatant, she can be trained into a nastily effective two-weapon fighter. Work with her so she's getting her sneak attack damage in and she can knock stuff down like nothing.

And she has some of the best dialogue in the game, especially in Jerro's Haven.

I agree on the two weapon fighter, properly buffed by sand or the druid she can boost the overall damage of the party a lot better than Bishop or Casavir.

Flickerdart
2008-05-28, 04:46 PM
Neeshka is awful, which is why I'm replaying the game as an Arcane Trickster so I don't have to use her. out of all the people with good dialogue, Grobnar is the one I'm looking forward to seeing in "action".

Elanee keeps Wildshaping into her crappy Badger form, which, combined with her crappy Badger animal companion, makes her AC and damage output pitiful.

I prefer Qara to Sand. You get her earlier on, and she doesn't have Illusion prohibited like Sand does (I think he's a Divination guy, at least).

My last playthrough I used a Monk (all jokes about Monks sucking aside, this one was a force to be reckoned with, NWN2 is gracious with its equipment) and had Khelgar, Neeshka and Qara as my other three, and then Zhjaeve once I had the extra slot freed up.

Mx.Silver
2008-05-28, 06:15 PM
Elanee keeps Wildshaping into her crappy Badger form, which, combined with her crappy Badger animal companion, makes her AC and damage output pitiful.
Her animal companion is kind of crappy, yeah. It doesn't even make a lot of sense either, she's an elf so wouldn't a panther have been more fitting? Hell, Bishop at least got a wolf.

I prefer Qara to Sand. You get her earlier on, and she doesn't have Illusion prohibited like Sand does (I think he's a Divination guy, at least).
He's a Transmuter IRRC, as is Safiya in MOTB. I think it's to do with the crafting thing.

Breltar
2008-05-29, 08:00 AM
Neeshka is awful, which is why I'm replaying the game as an Arcane Trickster so I don't have to use her. out of all the people with good dialogue, Grobnar is the one I'm looking forward to seeing in "action".

Yeah I've always wanted to use Grobnar a bit more as well, but by then I'm invested in the others. What do you find about Neeshka that is awful?

You can turn off her wildshape with her behavior window and setting the special abilities to no. I dont think she has any other abilities that are affected, and this makes her use spells and normal weapons more.

I prefer Wizards more since you can get all the spells, but to each their own. I do need to play through her story as I havent spoiled that one yet.

My last playthrough I used a Monk (all jokes about Monks sucking aside, this one was a force to be reckoned with, NWN2 is gracious with its equipment) and had Khelgar, Neeshka and Qara as my other three, and then Zhjaeve once I had the extra slot freed up.

I dont mind Zhjaeve, just sad the developers were lazy and the armor doesnt show on her body. I like Khelgar but his Monk quest is worthless since you get that awesome hammer later. Ah well.

Dihan
2008-05-29, 08:41 AM
I get bored easily with campaigns so I try to spice things up a bit. I used cheats to get rid of the cap on how many party members you can take along, so I had all of them. I also decided to use an override to play as a dynamic (armour appears) Pixie Wizard.

It was fun.

I prefer the first Neverwinter Nights though.

wormwood
2008-05-29, 11:10 AM

Just an FYI, for those who are curious, the name of the module is Mysteries of Westgate. It's supposed to be 25-30 hours of game time. It is being developed, as mentioned earlier, by Ossian studios. I didn't see anything about price, so I'm not sure if it will be free (as someone above said).

I'm looking forward to it.