PDA

View Full Version : Uranium Dragon

leden
2008-04-24, 05:33 PM
A guy I played with once told me that there was a WotC book made for the lulz that had lots of funny monsters and other funny stuff. One of these monster, he told me, was a dragon made of uranium that got weaker as he aged and, when he reached his life limit, exploded in a nuclear explosion.

Is that true or was he playing one on me?
If it is true, where can i find this book?

Led

Frosty
2008-04-24, 05:45 PM
Even if the dragon is a joke, I am now motivated to stat one out.

Hal
2008-04-24, 05:50 PM
Seems like an easy way for a wizard to pull a Locate City bomb. In this case, you just remove the dragon's wings, then threaten to drop it on the city from a great height if they don't worship the ground you walk on.

Reel On, Love
2008-04-24, 05:53 PM
Sorry, adventurers killed them all to make Uranium Swords (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-657376.html).

UglyPanda
2008-04-24, 06:03 PM
There's the plutonium dragon from Munchkin d20. I'm not sure of its abilities or if that's what your friend meant.

F.L.
2008-04-24, 06:04 PM
Really, I'd expect them only to explode when hit with bludgeoning weapons.

ikrase
2008-04-24, 06:10 PM
Uranium only explodes if it is U-235 which is very rare and if there are something like 100 pounds in a pile. This needs to be a very lightweight dragon. Neutron beam breath attack might be cool

FMArthur
2008-04-24, 06:19 PM
Radioactive materials would be better used on invisible creatures with insane hide/move silently bonuses that stalk players until they die of radiation poisoning. I seriously doubt anything but certain massively intelligent deities would even know about the powerful nuclear reactions that we associate with Uranium.

TheThan
2008-04-24, 08:05 PM
Despite this being fantasy, I think a uranium golem is a bit more plausible. Since the metallic dragons aren’t made out of the materials they’re named after. They just have the same color scales.

Even though a platinum dragon makes sense, seeing as they have gold, sliver and copper dragons, as well as gold, silver and copper for currency.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-24, 08:23 PM
Oh my god. That Uranium Sword thread is HYSTERICAL. I LOL'd. Big time.

EvilElitest
2008-04-24, 08:30 PM
Even if the dragon is a joke, I am now motivated to stat one out.

I support you all the way
from
EE

Collin152
2008-04-24, 08:31 PM
DIddn't somebody make Halogen dragons once?
On these forums?

Voshkod
2008-04-24, 08:32 PM
Mercury dragons. Made of liquid metal.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-24, 08:42 PM

T-1000 Dragon? Made of equal parts liquid metal and WIN.

Everyman
2008-04-24, 09:01 PM
Your friend is referring to the Munchkin d20 books (some of the most original and hilarious sourcebooks ever written). In paticular, you're indeed looking for the stats for the Md20's plutonium dragon (where the babies are deadlier than the adults).

FMArthur
2008-04-24, 09:02 PM

My players will hate you forever for this idea.:smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2008-04-24, 09:06 PM
Even though a platinum dragon makes sense, seeing as they have gold, sliver and copper dragons, as well as gold, silver and copper for currency.There is a platinum dragon (singular); that's what Bahamut is. But note that platinum (precious metal used for coinage more valuable than gold) is a very different substance from plutonium (radioactive metal used for nuclear bombs).

Collin152
2008-04-24, 09:11 PM

DR 900/German and Regeneration 60/Climax ?

Voshkod
2008-04-24, 09:17 PM
There is a platinum dragon (singular); that's what Bahamut is. But note that platinum (precious metal used for coinage more valuable than gold) is a very different substance from plutonium (radioactive metal used for nuclear bombs).

Moreover, absent extremely rare circumstances (see natural nuclear reactor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor), plutonium just doesn't exist in the wild. So unless the local wizards' guild has built a nuclear pile (or worse, a supercollider), no transuranic dragons.

("Oh no, it's a Ununoctium Dragon!" "Don't worry, it will be gone in .89 milliseconds!")

The_Snark
2008-04-24, 11:28 PM
You know, that makes me wonder if Bahamut has something to do with the currency system in D&D. Why is his metal at the top of every non-barter system? Why does the currency scale match up with the dragon power-level scale so well? Very suspicious.

I think maybe I'll add banking and finance to Bahamut's portfolio if I ever run a game that includes him. It'd certainly be more interesting than the standard-issue Bahamut.

And if somebody does end up statting out a uranium/plutonium dragon, its breath weapon should have no immediate effects but instead afflict people with radiation sickness (in a disease format, I imagine).

SurlySeraph
2008-04-24, 11:38 PM
Sorry, adventurers killed them all to make Uranium Swords (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-657376.html).

Ah, yes. When I first saw that thread, I was so struck with horrific inspiration that I ended up statting out... well...

Uranium Mercurial Chainsaw Bastard Sword-Chucks

Requires: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), EWP (Mercurial bastard sword), EWP (Heavy bastard sword), EWP (Swordchucks), EWP (advanced melee weapon proficiency/ chainsaw weapon proficiency)

Cost: 3370 gp, 5d6/5d6 damage, x4 crit, 58 lb., slashing damage.

The sword is treated as a lightly radioactive material for purposes of radiation poisoning, using the d20 Future radiation rules. Each time a creature is hit by the sword, its degree of exposure increases by one step (from mild to low, low to moderate, etc.) On a critical hit, its degree of exposure increases by two steps. Once a creature has been severely exposed, each hit decreases the radiation sickness’s incubation time by one hour, which may cause it to take effect immediately.

Swordchucks (bastard sword base)

Bastard-sword-chucks (Two-handed Melee Weapon)
Cost: 85 gp (Cost of two bastard swords and chain)
Damage: *(S) 1d8/1d8, (M) 1d10/1d10
Critical: X2
Weight: 14 lbs
Damage: Slashing
Appearance: Two bastard swords connected by a chain.

Wielding swordchucks requires the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (swordchucks). If the swordchucks are made from swords which themselves require Exotic Weapon Proficiency, such as Bastard Swords, the wielder must also have the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat for that type of sword to be proficient in swordchucks based off of them.

Every time an attack made with swordchucks misses, the wielder must roll again against his own AC. If he hits himself, he takes damage as appropriate.

Swordchucks are double weapons. A character can fight with both swords of a set of swordchucks as if fighting with two weapons, but he or she incurs all the normal attack penalties associated with two-weapon combat, just as though the character were wielding a one-handed weapon and a light weapon.

The character can also choose to attack with only one end of the swordchucks.

Unlike with most double weapons, a creature wielding swordchucks in one hand can use them as a double weapon. However, the normal to-hit penalties from Two-Weapon Fighting are doubled. This allows creatures who dual-wield swordchucks to make multiple off-hand attacks without the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feats.

Examples:

A 6th-level fighter wielding only one end of his swordchucks would make 2 attacks at +6/+1

A 6th-level fighter with the Two-Weapon Fighting feat wielding both ends of his swordchucks would make two main-hand attacks at +4/-1 and an off-hand attack at +4.

A 6th-level fighter with the Two-Weapon Fighting feat wielding swordchucks in one hand and a shield in the other would make two main-hand attacks at +2/-3 and an off-hand attack at -3.

A 6th-level fighter with the Two-Weapon Fighting feat dual-wielding swordchucks would make two main-hand attacks at +2/-3, an off-hand attack with the other end of his main-hand swordchuck at -3, and two off-hand attacks with his off-hand swordchucks at -3 and -3.

Summary of the attacks you can make while dual-wielding swordchucks with the various feats in the Two-Weapon Fighting tree:

TWF: main hand attacks plus one extra attack at -4, two off-hand attacks at -4, -10
Requires 15 Dex
ITWF: main hand attacks plus one extra attack at -4, three off-hand attacks at -4, -10, -20
Requires 17 Dex, BAB +6
GTWF: main hand attacks plus one extra at -4, four off-hand attacks at -4, -10, -20, -20, -20
Requires 19 Dex, BAB +11, eight feats, profound stupidity

Sorry, I got a bit carried away. At least I didn't list my bibliography or provide footnotes.

Overlord
2008-04-24, 11:50 PM
DR 900/Austrian or Calee-forn-ia-n and Regeneration 60/Climax ?

Fixed that for ya. :smallbiggrin:

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-25, 02:44 AM

They exist already. Dragons of Faerûn, I think? Page 83 of my AD&D 2nd ed. Monstrous Manual, in any case; right between Deep Dragon and Mist Dragon.

Voshkod
2008-04-25, 09:29 AM
They exist already. Dragons of Faerûn, I think? Page 83 of my AD&D 2nd ed. Monstrous Manual, in any case; right between Deep Dragon and Mist Dragon.

And yet another reason to feel good about not playing D&D after 1st edition.

Telonius
2008-04-25, 09:37 AM
Despite this being fantasy, I think a uranium golem is a bit more plausible. Since the metallic dragons aren’t made out of the materials they’re named after. They just have the same color scales.

Even though a platinum dragon makes sense, seeing as they have gold, sliver and copper dragons, as well as gold, silver and copper for currency.

Hm, uranium is kind of silvery-gray, right? Anybody know what color Tiamat is supposed to be? Could be the rival for Bahamut.

tyckspoon
2008-04-25, 11:43 AM
Isolated uranium is yellow (hence the term yellowcake for packets of refined uranium.) I'm not sure what color uranium-bearing ores typically are, tho.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-04-25, 11:59 AM
Hm, uranium is kind of silvery-gray, right? Anybody know what color Tiamat is supposed to be? Could be the rival for Bahamut.Tiamat is the Chromatic Dragon. Five heads: one white, one black, one blue, one green, one red. As seen on TV! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html)

Also...a Uranium sword is stupid. A depleted Uranium sword though? Also stupid, but less suicidal for something with a Strength score in the low 30's or so.

WalkingTarget
2008-04-25, 12:01 PM
Isolated uranium is yellow (hence the term yellowcake for packets of refined uranium.) I'm not sure what color uranium-bearing ores typically are, tho.

Nah, that's an oxide U3O8. Uranium itself is silvery gray with a black oxide forming in normal conditions.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-25, 12:03 PM
Also...a Uranium sword is stupid.

It's not. Pierow37 himself, in the thread, stated his point with clarity, elegance, and a well-developed argument:

The effect would be ULTIMATE COOLNESS!

Eita
2008-04-25, 12:33 PM
Moreover, absent extremely rare circumstances (see natural nuclear reactor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor), plutonium just doesn't exist in the wild. So unless the local wizards' guild has built a nuclear pile (or worse, a supercollider), no transuranic dragons.

("Oh no, it's a Ununoctium Dragon!" "Don't worry, it will be gone in .89 milliseconds!")

I suddenly feel like making a setting where wizard's have all the technology of a nuclear physicist.

LCR
2008-04-25, 12:35 PM
DR 900/German and Regeneration 60/Climax ?

Arnold Schwarzenegger is not German. He's Austrian.

Too late ... I have, in fact, been ninja'd, as they say.

Hyozo
2008-04-25, 12:40 PM
I suddenly feel like making a setting where wizard's have all the technology of a nuclear physicist.

Or just set it in Eberron's near future. They're almost there.

Ossian
2008-04-25, 12:47 PM
They'd blast only if hit by a sufficiently violent explosion (fission of dragon) or if they smahed into one another hard enough (fusion of dragons, like fission, only). I guess the fission produces a bigger kablammo....

Old dragons would probably just ....half their weight every time their half life (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life)expired. Until, uh, they'd become inert, and die.

So, what's the half life of a uranium dragon?

Neftren
2008-04-25, 12:54 PM
Uranium only explodes if it is U-235 which is very rare and if there are something like 100 pounds in a pile. This needs to be a very lightweight dragon. Neutron beam breath attack might be cool

Technically if it "got older" it would slowly degrade into Lead.

WalkingTarget
2008-04-25, 01:07 PM
Old dragons would probably just ....half their weight every time their half life (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life)expired. Until, uh, they'd become inert, and die.

So, what's the half life of a uranium dragon?

U238 has a half-life of something like 4.5 billion years (over 99% of naturally occurring Uranium, this is also what depleted uranium is). It decays into Thorium (T234) and an alpha particle so the dragon would cease to be Uranium, but still pretty heavy.

U235 (used in reactors and weapons in varying concentrations with 238) has half-life of only 700 million years, but if you shoot a neutron at a mass of it you can begin a chain reaction that'll go a lot faster.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-25, 01:15 PM
Next up, neutron dragons.

Collin152
2008-04-25, 05:16 PM
Arnold Schwarzenegger is not German. He's Austrian.

Too late ... I have, in fact, been ninja'd, as they say.

Whatever, I don't follow celebrities enough to know their country of origin.
Also, too slow to be Ninja'd. You got Pirate'd.

leden
2008-04-25, 05:35 PM
Thanks men, I'll try to check the book for that plutonium dragon.

Also why isn't there an uranium or plutonium golem already?
Why do dragons get all the love?
I think we should stat some nice atomic powered golems, am i right?

Led

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-25, 05:40 PM
Thanks men, I'll try to check the book for that plutonium dragon.

Also why isn't there an uranium or plutonium golem already?
Why do dragons get all the love?
I think we should stat some nice atomic powered golems, am i right?

I believe that the Immortals Handbook, full of all things stupid and WTF-numbers, contains, such rules, as well as golems made from frickin' neutron stars.