PDA

View Full Version : Becoming Undead

shadow_archmagi
2008-04-24, 07:03 PM
How does one go about changing one's type to Undead?

That is, the only things I can think of are

Vampires (No sunlight? A wide variety of weaknesses? Eww)
Liches (Requires high caster level and is just plain unstylish.)
Zombies (No braaaaaaaaains)

Is there anything that just gives you the Undead subtype while letting you keep class levels and such?

puppyavenger
2008-04-24, 07:29 PM
necropolatin

cupkeyk
2008-04-24, 07:31 PM
I would prolly be too late to reply with anything original, but the best template to acquire is Necropolitan from Libris Mortis, assuming you get it at level two.

Also an awakened undead is okay but your int caps at your racial average. zombies are limited with actions so they suck, but a skeleton human is fine. awaken undead is in spellcomp

Xefas
2008-04-24, 07:31 PM
The Necropolitan Template from the Libris Mortis makes you an undead, with all the undead traits, and no special penalties or requirements, and best of all, no level adjustment or hit dice.

The catch? You have to be killed in a special ritual to become one, which loses you a level. However, if you're lower level than everyone, you'll get more XP from every fight, so it balances out a little.

Probably the best deal available.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-24, 07:39 PM
Special note: Earliest Necropolitian entry is level 3. You lose 1 level and an additional 1000XP so if you do it at level 2 you just get completely removed from the game.

But at level 3 you can drop to a level 1 with 12 HP who stands in the back gaining levels twice as fast as anyone else. (Do it at level 3 +2 XP and catch up in no time.)

monty
2008-04-24, 08:04 PM
If you can get your DM to give you Necropolitan as an inherited template, it works even better.

Recaiden
2008-04-24, 09:10 PM
You could also become a shadow. vampire spawn, etc. and take levels in that class from savage species that lets you keep/regain your levels, abilities, etc. I think it is only 3 levels.

FlyMolo
2008-04-24, 09:43 PM
You could also become a shadow. vampire spawn, etc. and take levels in that class from savage species that lets you keep/regain your levels, abilities, etc. I think it is only 3 levels.

Emancipated Spawn! Known mostly for having a really cool name and being used with a thought bottle and a friendly cleric/shadow to give an adventurer 20 levels in every class.

Laesin
2008-04-24, 09:48 PM
Special note: Earliest Necropolitian entry is level 3. You lose 1 level and an additional 1000XP so if you do it at level 2 you just get completely removed from the game.

But at level 3 you can drop to a level 1 with 12 HP who stands in the back gaining levels twice as fast as anyone else. (Do it at level 3 +2 XP and catch up in no time.)

If I recall correctly losing a level will put you at the half-way point between the previous level and the level you just lost. This means that, by undergoing this ritual at level 3 then losing a further 1000 xp you end up at exactly enough xp to be level 2.

Maerok
2008-04-24, 10:10 PM
I kinda like Gravetouched Ghoul... :D +2 LA and some nice abilities. But that's just me. Oh, an inescapable craving for flesh... On that thought, take a safari through Libris Mortis if you're on a quest for undeath.

leperkhaun
2008-04-25, 02:31 AM
not a traditional undead.

The deathless template in Ebberon.

Khanderas
2008-04-25, 02:34 AM
Why do you want to be undead ?
I mean... you go for Vamprie for its pro's and con's. Lich for its flavor of coolness.
Or is it the (kinda) immortality and immunities you want ?