PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a lich but im Lawful Good

ikrase
2008-04-24, 07:12 PM
Some casters become liches. Others become Wisps, holy and immortal creatures

Wisp is an acquired template

-2 STR, +2 Cha, +1 INT +1 WIS
Fly speed equal to walk speed +20 ft, good manuver. A wisp grows angel wings.
You keep spellcasting.
You gain the Paladin's lay on hands ability. this can hurt undead. You must be Good.
You must have Craft wondrous Item and CL 11th. You are immortal. Your type changes to outsider, you gain DR15/evil
You make a phylactory, consisting of a statement of your oath. You must then die under heroic circumstances. Running unarmored at a Wall of Text does not count. Your spirit rises to the Upper Planes, and cannot be raised. In 1d12 rounds you rise again as a celestial: a Wisp.

A Wisp or "ghost-marytr (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html)" is an angel controlled by the spirit of a fallen hero. A Wisp is considered to have Geas cast on him and must follow
SO, how broken is this?

BRC
2008-04-24, 07:46 PM
First of all, it needs a Level Adjustment.

Secondly, what i would do with this Fluff-Wise is that the person does not actually become the Wisp, they die ad cannot be revived, ever. The Wisp has all their memories and personality, so it is essentially a copy of them, but it is not. This way it's not a "I become immortal and gain abunch of nifty powers" thing, It's a "I sacrifice myself in order to create an immortal force of good with alot of nifty powers." But because the Wisp's personality is a carbon-copy of the creators, if a PC becomes a Wisp their player can still play as them, even though fluff-wise its not techincally the same character.

lord of kobolds
2008-04-24, 08:23 PM
I Agree With Brc Except That I Think That Good Characters Don't Usually Go For The Whole Immortality Thing.
However, I Have Never Played A Good Character, So What Would I Know?

BRC
2008-04-24, 08:29 PM
I Agree With Brc Except That I Think That Good Characters Don't Usually Go For The Whole Immortality Thing.
However, I Have Never Played A Good Character, So What Would I Know?
That was the point of my suggjestion, the character who is "becoming" the wisp isn't becoming immortal, THEY are dying on the spot. The Wisp is a carbon copy of their mind, but it's not the same individual experiencing it, so the creator dosn't, in character, gain any benefit.

Nomadic
2008-04-24, 09:03 PM
I think it would actually show that they were a force of good. The afterlife is waiting for them, with all its wonderful rewards for their hard service. They however instead elect to remain on the plane of the living, forever serving good. I think this would be for the truly noble PC who isn't content with rest and would rather continue fighting for their cause till the utter end.

I would have the phylactery making process require a quest. Perhaps one in which they purify themselves for the process.

The Necroswanso
2008-04-24, 11:40 PM
Isn't there a good aligned lich build/template in Forgotten Realms or something like that?

Randel
2008-04-25, 01:20 AM
How about this:

They craft their phylactory which serves as a solom oath to their cause (the cost of creating it representing just how much they hold their job dear). They then die somehow (either by just letting go of the mortal coil to meet their maker or by dying in glorious battle... somehow suicide doesn't sound good)

But when they get to heaven their deity grants them powers and changes them into a high-ranking force of good. They then manifest in physical form, ready their flaming weapon and dive straight back down to earth to bring justice to the wicked.

So its more of a "I've been fighting for good all my life, I have been struck down and gone to heaven to be at my gods side... but I passed that up so I can come back down and fight the good fight again. I've been killed and I came back, I have reservations, do you?"

or

"So Mr. Lich, you think you've cheated death? I work for the guy in charge of life and death... and he wants me to kick your ass. I will destroy you, and then I will destroy your phylactory. And you will trouble us no more. You might beat me, heck, you might destroy the binding stone that keeps me in the mortal realm. But guess what? Even then I'll be up there looking down on you. I can't lose... and you can't win."

So to an extent, a Lich is just the animated skeleton of an evil necromancer. It has the memories and desires of its creator, but its still an undead creation. The necromancer who created it has long gone, selling his soul to leave and almost indestructible curse on the world to further his work, to bear his name. More like a monument that commits atrocities to call attention to itself than any sort of true immortality.

A "Wisp" however is a righteous person who serves their good-aligned diety. They have worked to better the lives of others and have been rewarded in turn. But in the end after they have done more than any mortal could be expected to do. After he fights to his last breath in the defense of the downtrodden, after he goes on to his eternal reward where he can relax and celebrate his years of work... and when the forces of evil can take a breath of relief and pat themselves on the back knowing they finally got him out of their hair...

He comes back for more. Because the gods in charge of life and death just have to admit that he's not done yet.

I would recommend giving it a slightly better name though. (I suppose Ghost-Martyr (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html) is already taken)

Also: Sorry if this kind of rambled a bit.

Blue_C.
2008-04-25, 06:59 PM
Kind of on topic, but in Buddism there is the concept of "Boodisatvas," beings that are nearly totally enlightened, and could move on to a higher state of being, but instead sacrifice their own ascension until everyone else on earth has reached enlightenment first.

You may want to look that up.

JoshuaZ
2008-04-25, 07:57 PM
Isn't there a good aligned lich build/template in Forgotten Realms or something like that?

Yes but only for elves I think. They are called Baelnorns. They are good elves (generally lawful) who take on lichdom to perform a specific task, such as guarding an artifact until the rightful heir comes, or guarding the family tomb.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-25, 08:26 PM
*Cough (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47119)* :smallbiggrin:

black dragoon
2008-04-25, 09:06 PM
I have'nt looked at the stats in awhile but, if I remember right it was open to all races and was just the plain 'ol good lich. It was from the monsters of faerun by the way if anyone was wondering. mabye you had another variant JoshuaZ It's FR arter all.