PDA

View Full Version : Can Palidens do that

1condor12
2008-04-24, 09:18 PM
I am not sure but i think palidens can tame animals. If the monster in the darkness in an amimal then Perhaps o'chul can tame him. i picture that when the team gets back to the city they will find i free of hobgoblins. i will be freed by the tandom team of o'chul and the monster. YEAH!!!!:smallsmile:

Jayngfet
2008-04-24, 09:20 PM
no, just ...no.

Szilard
2008-04-24, 09:24 PM
no, just ...no.

Quoted for Truth.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-24, 10:31 PM
I am not sure but i think palidens can tame animals. If the monster in the darkness in an amimal then Perhaps o'chul can tame him. i picture that when the team gets back to the city they will find i free of hobgoblins. i will be freed by the tandom team of o'chul and the monster. YEAH!!!!:smallsmile:

You're thinking Rangers.

Besides, everyone knows O-Chul rides a bear!

David Argall
2008-04-24, 11:32 PM
Any class can put points in the handle animal skill and then train an animal, if they roll well.
However, there is no reason to deem MitD an animal. While not bright, it seems to exceed the limit for the intelligence of an animal.

And O-Chul is an NPC. That means he does not do the epic deeds. That's the party's job.

monty
2008-04-24, 11:32 PM
You're thinking Rangers.

No, O-Chul rides...whatever he wants.

But we already have a thread for stuff like that.

Mando Knight
2008-04-25, 10:27 AM
You're thinking Rangers.

A Dire Half-Dragon Bear.:smalltongue:

MitD doesn't seem like an animal to me... would you want to try to make a Handle Animal check against something that's closer to a Juvenile Red Dragon than to a warhorse (in mental and physical capabilities...)?

†Seer†
2008-04-25, 10:58 AM
No, O-Chul rides...whatever he wants.

But we already have a thread for stuff like that.

*Thoughts go to Belkar's Romantic Interest*

@OP: Would be interesting, but doubtful.

Callista
2008-04-25, 02:05 PM
O-Chul is already doing epic deeds. Not as epic as the party, but still pretty awesome.

Anyway, O-Chul's Handle Animal skill isn't what we should be discussing (Monster-San isn't an animal, as has been pointed out). His Diplomacy skill--and the fact that one can convert an Evil or Neutral creature by spending time with them daily and winning opposed Diplomacy checks seven days in a row--should be the real focus.

(The rule in question, for converting evil/neutral creatures, is in the BoED, though, so it's not Core or even 3.5 ed... But the rule does exist; and this seems to be exactly the sort of situation it was made for.)

SoD
2008-04-25, 02:13 PM

I love it when pixies think before posting.

FujinAkari
2008-04-25, 02:16 PM

I miss being a pixie... all delicate and cute... *pout*

Zone
2008-04-25, 02:18 PM

Bugbears ain't that far away from pixies >_>

Jayngfet
2008-04-25, 04:13 PM

Thinking pixie, WHERE!?!

come to me my pretty little pixie, I'm only going to sell your rareness to the highest bidder a little bit.

NeonRonin
2008-04-25, 11:25 PM
Personally, I can't even see a regular ranger or druid being able to tame the MitD. Considering the MitD is sentient, after all- as Mando Knight and Callista pointed out. Now a bard, on the other hand... oh... wait a minute...

Ixnay on that thought. Elan befriending the MitD is so very unlikely and wrong that I won't go into it any further.

As for O-chul's Diplomacy check, it was established that he was a fighter before he was called to be a paladin, so his Charisma might not be too hot... positive modifier, yes, but probably not top of the line. That might make his Diplomacy check a bit tricky, unless we also factor in the MitD's current attitude(Friendly) and its often child-like mannerisms.

On a side note, I'm convinced the MitD is solidly CN alignment. It just hasn't done much to suggest evil intent as of late.

Halvormerlinaky
2008-04-26, 01:31 AM
However, there is no reason to deem MitD an animal. While not bright, it seems to exceed the limit for the intelligence of an animal.

Monster-san seems pretty intelligent to me. He's just young and naive. His mature form could be the most intelligent being in the strip.

NENAD
2008-04-26, 06:43 PM
We don't have many hints as to MitDs raw intelligence score, and one of the few hints we've had is that O-Chul says he's learning go very quickly. I'd give him a high intelligence score, hindered by low Wisdom and not-to-far-above-average Charisma.

And I just barely stopped being a pixie. Which is good, because it's difficult to get respect when you're eighteen inches tall.

Lupy
2008-04-26, 08:28 PM
I liked being a pixie, I could fly! Now I'm still short, I can't fly, and I have disturibing amounts of body hair.

No. Just No.

He had such a point. Listen to him.

Zappy
2008-04-26, 08:35 PM
I think I agree with the assesment that the MiTD is not an animal. But it does seem as though O'Chul is being very effective in turning him to a friendly attitude. Perhaps leadership and MiTD is his cohort!
Just kidding! Thought I'd throw in something from left field.

Darakonis
2008-04-26, 11:46 PM
You're thinking Rangers.

I am not sure but i think palidens can tame animals.
You're thinking Pagans.

Renegade Paladin
2008-04-27, 08:30 AM
What's a "paliden?" :smallconfused:

Kish
2008-04-27, 12:31 PM
Something that can tame animals, apparently.

lord of kobolds
2008-04-30, 11:14 AM
I'm only a pixie because i mostly post on the smbg's, although i haven't been paying attention to whether or not i still am a pixie.

Callista
2008-04-30, 12:27 PM
O-Chul's charisma modifier probably isn't very high; but neither is Monster-San's Wisdom modifier. Sooner or later...

BTW, that rule converts evil creatures to neutral, and neutral to Good; so to get an evil creature converted you actually have to do the seven-in-a-row thing twice. A neutral creature, though, just once--and at a Friendly attitude and a low WIS modifier, we might be looking at exactly that. Not that a low-WIS good-aligned creature is going to be all that useful (Elan!), but I have a feeling it's going to put a crimp in Xykon's plans.

It may actually already have happened, come to think of it... A very low WIS could account for the creature being deceived by Xykon and Redcloak, just as it could allow him to believe O-Chul easily. So we have the Belkar of Team Evil...

Beguilement
2008-04-30, 02:32 PM
Monster-san seems pretty intelligent to me. He's just young and naive. His mature form could be the most intelligent being in the strip.

Strongly agreed. I have no idea why this isn't obvious to more people.

O-Chul's charisma modifier probably isn't very high; but neither is Monster-San's Wisdom modifier. Sooner or later...

Yeah, O-Chul stated that it was his dump stat.

Monster-san's Wisdom modifier is a potentially interesting point of discussion. In one way, he's shown to be intelligent (learning a game quickly), but he acts like a child.

I'm not a DnD player, so I guess I'll have to ask for help on this bit: How does DnD treat children? Is there some sort of "child" template, or will such a thing have to be homebrewed when used (like it appears to be here)?

hamishspence
2008-04-30, 03:03 PM
He might be intelligent, but the Stereotyped Big game hunters are extremely surprised to hear that it talks "And in common, no less" Whatever it is, it probably is not a normal member of its type.