PDA

View Full Version : The Wurms (they drove me crazy)

Nomadic
2008-04-24, 09:25 PM
Sadly this has nothing to do with rubber rooms (though I will give a cookie to anyone who can find a viable connection). I am in the process of designing a campaign world based on the struggle of man vs nature. Right now I am working on the creatures of the largest island (a place named Northhaven). It has been decided that the primary danger on the island will be present in the form of Wurms.

Now the issue is I want some variety so that there can be viable encounters from low level all the way up to epic. Certainly there are examples to go from (purple worm anyone?) but I am frankly pretty rusty right now when it comes to creature design. So I could use some help (all helpers will get their name listed on a nice pretty credits page). To start I will give you an idea of what I am after. I am sure this is horribly done, but it should give an idea of what it is that is needed.

Lesser Wurm
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 4d10+20 (42 hp)
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares) Burrow 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init: +2
AC: 19; touch 11; flat-footed 17
-1 size, +2 dex, +8 natural
BAB/Grapple: +4/+12
Attack: Bite +10 melee (2d6+6)
Full-Attack: Bite +10 melee (2d6+6)
Space: 10 ft.; Reach: 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Rend (2d6+9)
Special Qualities: Tremorsense 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +10 Ref +6 Will +0
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 2
Skills: +8 Listen
Feats: Weapon Focus: Bite, Improved Trip
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary, Troupe (3-5), Nest (6-15)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 5-10 HD (Large), 11-15 HD (Huge)

The ground parts with a shower of debris as a hooked beak thrusts up into the air. The wurm may be small compared to others of its kind, but to most humanoids this is a massive beast not to be taken lightly. It shakes dirt off its body displaying a sleek brown head atop a long coiled form, all covered in chitinous plates. The wurm turns its eyeless face towards you and with a sudden shriek lunges, its gaping maw open and ringed with razor-sharp teeth.

Lesser Wurms are subterranean ambush predators. While they occasionally hunt for the small creatures that populate their domain, they much prefer the meat found above ground. These creatures are roughly 10 feet long and weigh about 1000 pounds. Each wurms head ends in a sharp hooked beak, which is lined with serrated teeth. They use these for tearing flesh off their prey, taking off great hunks of meat regardless of whether or not their meal is still alive. Their hide is covered in thick, bony plates which helps them move through the earth, and gives added protection against anything they may try to eat. Lesser Wurms can burrow through all manner of soil and rubble but cannot go through solid stone. While they can crawl on solid ground it is a difficult task that leaves them prone to attack. For this reason they are generally limited to areas where the bedrock is deep enough to support them. In the open wilderness Lesser Wurms commonly form nest groups, congregating for safety and to help bring down prey that smaller groups of wurms can't handle.

Combat:
Lesser Wurms only attack to bring down prey, or to defend their nest group. They are far more cunning then regular animals and fully capable of creating crude traps to catch unsuspecting prey by surprise. Being ambush predators by nature, Lesser Wurms rely on simple ambush tactics. A favorite of many Wurms is to dig a series of pits in a prey rich area, then ambush the prey and drive it into the pits, where it can be devoured more easily. If a Wurm finds itself over matched it will generally retreat underground for safety.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Lesser Wurm must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Rend (Ex): A Lesser Wurm that wins a grapple check after successful bite attack establishes a hold, latching onto its opponent's body and tearing the flesh. This attack automatically deals 2d6+9 points of damage.

So basically if you have ideas for wurms, or perhaps a wurm stat sheet you have sitting around I would be most greatful for your input (again anybody that submits their own work will have their name attached to the work submitted on the credits page).

TheDright
2008-04-25, 02:58 AM
In the Draconomicon, there are wyrms (crawling dragons) that could be utilized for this purpose. The wyrms have legs in the Draconomicon, but traditionally wyrms actually have no legs. There are stats for almost every terrain-specific wyrm you could think of.

Nomadic
2008-04-25, 03:40 AM
I will take a look into that. Right now I don't have any money so I can't afford anything like that. Was just wondering if anyone had statted up a wurm style creature before.

Athaniar
2008-04-25, 03:46 AM
Aren't there three wyrms in the MM2? You can perhaps use those. I think they may be high CR, I don't have the book with me at the moment.

D Knight
2008-04-25, 07:19 AM
there is also Ashworm in sandstorm which is pretty nice but i do not know if there any systems out there.

Nomadic
2008-04-25, 03:24 PM
Ok nevermind I guess. Was just taking a look to see if anyone had some of their own design. That's fine, I will see about coming up with my own. I unfortunately don't have anything outside the current core books right now and I don't have the money to get anything else. Thanks for the ideas though, I will keep them noted in case I do ever get to where I can afford them.