PDA

View Full Version : Quick SW: Saga edition question

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-25, 07:57 AM
Can someone point out to me where I could find wealth-by-level chart/table (or something that I could use to calculate wbl) for Star Wars: Saga edition for me please? :smalleek:

I've been reading through the rulebook for a while now but I just can't find it anywhere!

HoopyFrood
2008-04-25, 08:25 AM
You're not gonna find that in the core rulebook.

Attilargh
2008-04-25, 09:00 AM
The designers presumed the characters would not hoard stuff so far that it would meaningfully affect gameplay. After all, all Han seems to own is one pair of pants, one blaster and endless amounts of mesh tape and bubblegum to keep the Falcon flying. Similarly, Obi-Wan goes through the movies equipped with only his lightsaber, robes and enough cool to make up for the cheesy dialogue.

My rule of thumb: The characters should be just poor enough to stop them from simply blowing everything up in their next adventure. If all else fails, sell them a used starship.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-25, 09:44 AM
No such thing. This may be shocking, but D&D is the only game that has one (well, the only one I've met - out of some 30-40 systems - and this includes all the other d20 games I've played!), because only in D&D are characters defined by their magic items and equipment to the extent that it's important to regulate it this way.

In Star Wars, you have a weapon, you may have some armor (if you're a Soldier and have learned to use it), and that's about it. Seriously, what else is there to possess that would directly affect all encounters you get into? (Doesn't SW: Saga Edition even have abstracted XP gains? Get this much for that goal, etc. ?) Wealth also isn't related to level in any way, like it shouldn't be. You don't need to be high-level to be wealthy.

You just regulate the thermal detonators, and that's about it.

Attilargh
2008-04-25, 10:09 AM
Doesn't SW: Saga Edition even have abstracted XP gains? Get this much for that goal, etc. ?
Every Challenge Level of an encounter the party overcomes nets them 200 XP, if that's what you mean.

Interestingly, on the same page it states that a challenging (CL-appropriate) encounter should net the heroes their average level times 2,000 credits' worth of resources. Easy encounters should hand out roughly 50% less and difficult 50% more.

Starbuck_II
2008-04-25, 11:22 AM
No such thing. This may be shocking, but D&D is the only game that has one (well, the only one I've met - out of some 30-40 systems - and this includes all the other d20 games I've played!), because only in D&D are characters defined by their magic items and equipment to the extent that it's important to regulate it this way.

In Star Wars, you have a weapon, you may have some armor (if you're a Soldier and have learned to use it), and that's about it. Seriously, what else is there to possess that would directly affect all encounters you get into? (Doesn't SW: Saga Edition even have abstracted XP gains? Get this much for that goal, etc. ?) Wealth also isn't related to level in any way, like it shouldn't be. You don't need to be high-level to be wealthy.

You just regulate the thermal detonators, and that's about it.

Wealth:
a. grenedes (different types)
b. ammo forguns
c. Spaceships
c. Droids: might as well since no magic items to buy
d. Upgrades for weapons (they had a book that offered upgrading armor/stuff)

Granted, wealth easier since Noble gets money after getting Wealth talent.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-25, 12:44 PM
Wealth:
a. grenedes (different types)
b. ammo forguns
c. Spaceships
c. Droids: might as well since no magic items to buy
d. Upgrades for weapons (they had a book that offered upgrading armor/stuff)

Granted, wealth easier since Noble gets money after getting Wealth talent.

I don't think I understand what you're getting at.

Just like in all games except D&D, these items do not define your character, and there is no reason to fine-tune them the way D&D does. A spaceship is cool and useful, but you're going to fly whatever the GM decides, in the end. It's all very much "naturally regulated" by the setting, which translates to GM regulation, and it's not in any way comparable to D&D. There is, in fact, no reason at all for wealth to increase as levels do. Your 20th-level character can get along with the exact same things as your 1st-level character (like, say, a robe, a lightsaber, and a basic survival kit).

Embrace it. It's the joy and beauty of not playing D&D.

Zim
2008-04-25, 12:50 PM
Yeah, the acquisition of stuff in SWSE doesn't seem that important. Once you have a weapon or two and a couple thousand credits' worth of gear, you're pretty much done. Even upgrades don't cost that much.

LCR
2008-04-25, 12:50 PM
Your 20th-level character can get along with the exact same things as your 1st-level character (like, say, a robe, a lightsaber, and a basic survival kit).

But really, star destroyers make ones life so much easier ...

HoopyFrood
2008-04-25, 02:06 PM
Assuming you have the crew, the droids, or the slave drives to do it.

TehJhu
2008-04-25, 02:09 PM
But really, star destroyers make ones life so much easier ...

I'm pretty sure they don't sell those.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-25, 02:12 PM
"Down here at Crazy Darth Joe's, everything MUST go! See this Corellian Cruiser? You can drive it home today!"

TehJhu
2008-04-25, 02:19 PM
I'm actually running a SW:Saga game right now with two players. One of them is an old friend of mine and we've played all kinds of RPGs together. He's a jedi with robes and a lightsabre and I think a liquid rope dispenser?

The other guy is a hardcore D&D dude (although he's only ever played 3-3.5) and buys tons of stuff. He's got two blaster pistols, a heavy blaster rife, a light repeating blaster, a grenade launcher, several more hand grenades, a sugical kit, a all-temperature cloak, ect. ect. He can't wrap his mind around the idea of a game where you don't spend all your time trying to figure out how to get more magical items and picking twelve PrCs to 'win'. He gets freaked out that stormtroopers and imperial officers don't carry around gobs of cash or keep super-weapons in their lockers.

SamTheCleric
2008-04-25, 02:20 PM
Wait... you mean that every stormtrooper shouldn't have the plans for the death star on them? :smalltongue:

TehJhu
2008-04-25, 02:31 PM
Just be happy their armor is one-size fits all!

SamTheCleric
2008-04-25, 02:36 PM
Player: "Man, these guys don't have any loot either, just a stupid credstick."
GM: "You notice out of the corner of your eye another mercenary with a bandolier of thermal detonators strapped to his chest."
Player: "Sweet, its about time!"
GM: "He's running at full speed towards you."
Player: "Well, I pull out my blaster rifle and get ready to shoot him."
GM: "You also notice the thermal detonators are active."
Player: "... I hate you."

Attilargh
2008-04-25, 02:39 PM
If you seriously want to deter his loot-grubbing tendencies, show him page 249 where the issue is discussed. Alternatively, to preserve this thread's humorous tone, spontaneously have him transform into a Jawa.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-25, 07:02 PM

Haha, so true. :smallbiggrin:

Zim
2008-04-25, 10:03 PM

Aren't you a little fat for a stormtrooper? :smallsmile: